1278 comments

Drama Horror Sad

Trigger warning: Gory scenes, suicide, and screaming.


No.

It can't end like this.

- - -

If there's anything I hate, it's laziness. Just waking up to a messy room can make me angry and dampen my mood like a thunderstorm. So therefore, when I rolled out of bed with my many precious books, I was not expecting my dear cousin to have a landfill dumped in his room at precisely 8:34 in the morning, when I came in. He used to be such a stickler for neat and tidy rooms. When we went to church he scrubbed the chairs clean before sitting down on them. He never ate pizza, nor did he eat ice cream, as those too were far too dirty for him.

And yet, he is right here, in a dirty room, with a dirty face.

Much to my chagrin, he seemed to not notice me or react at all to my presence. He just kept on lounging in his room.

Kent was being so rude right now that I wanted to give him a wake-up slap.

"Earth to Kent, Earth to Kent! EARTH TO KENT!!"

With half -open eyes, my cousin hauled himself up and looked at me.

"What do ya want, loser?"

Why is he talking like that? Kent, the proper gentleman? What happened to him? Why is he so messy now?

I shook myself and ignored his speech.

To be honest, I think that should have been a warning sign. But I did not see it.

"Um. You promised to come with me. To my best friend's party!"

He rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, I promised to go to yer nerd party. So what?"

"So... Get dressed!"

"Alright, now get ya peeping head outta here."

I stepped out to prepare myself for the party too. As I peeled apart two books, I was confused. Again, why was my cousin, my role model, acting so strange and being so weird? I was afraid to ask. At least I had to party to look forward to.

I should have known.

  • -ย -ย -

I pulled into the driveway, turning the music down and stepping out of the car. It was a silent drive, with Kent mumbling the occasional curse word and banging his seat. Iย turned the music up to fill the empty silence during the drive, as I usually chatted with Kent during this time. But he ignored me.

โ€œHi John!โ€

โ€œHey! How are you guys doing?โ€

โ€œWeโ€™re alright, just a little bit tired.โ€

During this exchange I noticed Kent glaring at John, like he had a grudge or something. I glanced at him, then quickly averted my gaze.

John must have seen me looking, because he pulled me in and drew me in a heated debate with his sister, himself, and me. I started ranting about how football and soccer were overrated and that snowboarding was cool, and Kelly (Johnโ€™s sister) began screaming at John for agreeing.

We all went into the pool and yeeted water balloons at each other. Kent didnโ€™t join us.ย 

When we all watched a heart-breaking movie, Kent stayed to one side.

Iโ€™m sorry.

I went to get my second coke, and John followed, his face worried.

โ€œWhatโ€™s going on?โ€

โ€œWith?โ€

โ€œKent! He is acting so moody and depressed! Whatโ€™s going on with him and you? I donโ€™t get it!โ€

Iโ€™m sorry. I shouldโ€™ve listened to you. I shouldโ€™ve paid more attention and talked to Kent.ย 

Waving him off, I went back and finished the movie. It was good, but I didnโ€™t pay any attention to it. I was angry, for no reason.ย 

โ€œIโ€™m going outside to get some fresh air. Wanna come?โ€

โ€œThanks, but na.โ€

โ€œAlright.โ€

Who knew.

John went outside, whistling. I admired how outgoing he was, with a head full of flaming hair and a stylish coat. He made friends so easily. He was my key to friends and fun.

And all that was torn away.

I didnโ€™t see Kent following him.

I didnโ€™t see my changed cousin following my best friend,

As the party dragged on, I had uneasiness nagging at the back of my head, and without thinking, I went outside.

I canโ€™t describe what was going on in my head as I stepped into the alleyway, enjoying the air. The horrific scene was painted into my brain.

I will try to tell you what happened, but itโ€™s so disgusting, I recommend not eating.

Blood dripped off Kentโ€™s knife as the split-opened brain of my late best friend lay on the floor, mushed and diced like maggots infesting rotten cheese. His chest still had the heart beating inside, but the lungs were squashed and molded, bile dripping across the walkway.ย Johnโ€™s guts lay coiled around his unrecognizable head, forever choking him. The legs had been tossed into the nearby sewer, adding to the foul smell of peopleโ€™s bathrooms. Toes lay littered on the floor, forgotten.

โ€œK-Kentโ€ฆโ€

He looked up with bloodshot eyes and a terrible smile.

โ€œDid..Did you just..just KILL MY BEST FRIEND?โ€

โ€œYes.โ€

โ€œY-You MURDERER!โ€

As the truth sank in, I thought about something.

Do I want to be family with a murderer? Do I want to stay with him? What if he kills me?

Is he like this because he dropped out of college? I-I shouldโ€™ve talked to him! John! Iโ€™m sorry! What do I do..

The answer showed itself.

โ€œI HATE YOUR GUTS, KENT. AND Iโ€™VE DECIDED THAT I WANT TO LEAVE YOU. I DONโ€™T WANT TO BE RELATED TO A USELESS PERSON THAT DESTROYS FRIENDSHIPS AND KILLS PEOPLE. IN FACT, Iโ€™M TELLING KELLY AND THE POLICE.โ€

Kentโ€™s smile vanished.

โ€œYou wouldnโ€™t.โ€

โ€œWatch me.โ€

I ran. As I ran, I looked back at Johnโ€™s house, where people were still partying. Then I looked at Kent. In horror.

The blade he had used to slaughter my best friend glinted in the moonlight as he impaled himself.

To death.

Goodbye forever, Kent.

Iโ€™ll miss you, John.

Goodbye.


I want to dedicate this story to someone, but it's wayyyyy to gory. So, Shoutout to Litlover for giving me something to write! <3

February 03, 2021 05:40

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1278 comments

Eyooooo! Just popping in to say hiiiii <3333 I like ur name but I'm here trying to pronounce it XD It's such a pretty name thoo :0 Anywayyy, you said you were gonnna post a story soon! :< WHERE IS THE STORYYYY I WILL DIE IF I DONT READ YOUR STORIESSSSSS >:{ I'm really mad at Reedsy rn bcz they havent RESPONDED TO MY EMAIL WHEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD! (P.s: Was there anything offensive in this message? Ouu, sorry.)

Reply

H E N L O <333333333 XD yea, Me too! XDDD awwwwwwwwwwwww I AM ACTUALLY TWO I KNOW RIGHT @EKHLB@>:J#DHELI (noooooooooo)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
13:44 Feb 13, 2021

Story request: a game of chess where one person can read minds but the other can see the future Lol just came into my mind and I donโ€™t have enough braincells to write it myself-

Reply

Lol I'll tryyyyyyyyy also what about the 4th fanfic? Sorry if this is rude D:::::: ALSO WHAT HAPPENED WHY WERE YOU AWAAYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:10 Feb 12, 2021

If you want to play Skribble at 3:30 EST I'll put the link at the bottom of my bio. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
04:35 Feb 11, 2021

Reedsy-cast out! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
19:44 Feb 10, 2021

If you would like to play at 3:30 EST I'm going to put the link in my bio (at the bottom XD) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:25 Feb 09, 2021

dark, but incredible. the descriptions are top-notch. ๐Ÿฆ‹ edit: i usually elaborate on feedback more but i'm feeling lazy rn

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
17:53 Feb 08, 2021

We're playing Skribble again at 3:30 EST, and if you want to join the link will be at the bottom of my bio. :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
01:37 Feb 08, 2021

๐Ÿฆ‹

Reply

Show 1 reply

แด„แดแด˜ส & แด˜แด€sแด›แด‡: แด˜แดœแด› า“โ™กส™แดœแด€ส€ส ๐Ÿท๐Ÿบ ษชษด สแดแดœส€ ส™ษชแด แด›แด แดœแด˜แด แดแด›แด‡ แด€s แดแด€ษดส แด˜แด‡แดแด˜สŸแด‡ แด€s แด˜แดssษชส™สŸแด‡ แดษด แด แด€สŸแด‡ษดแด›ษชษดแด‡'s แด…แด€ส. สแดแดœ แด…แดษด'แด› สœแด€แด แด‡ แด›แด ส™แดœแด› ษช'แด ษขแดษชษดษข แด›แด! แด„แดแด˜ส โ™ก แด˜แด€sแด›แด‡ แดษด แดแด›สœแด‡ส€ sแด›แดส€ษชแด‡s-แดกสœษชสŸแด‡ สแดแดœส€ แด€แด› ษชแด› แดœแด˜แด แดแด›แด‡ แด›สœแด€แด› แด˜แด‡ส€sแดษด! โ™ก

Reply

Show 0 replies

hi celesteeee i saw ur bio, so here are some story ideas: Horror: You're scrolling through the pictures on your phone. You notice a new one: it's of you sleeping. Drama: A bittersweet farewell: bitter for one person, sweet for the other. Science Fiction: It is discovered that Earth actually IS flat. Romance-y: You find a blank book. Whatever you write in it becomes true. Comedy/Fantasy: The Tooth Fairy finds something unexpected sitting beside the expected tooth under a child's pillow. Mystery: You get lost in the woods during a hike. I...

Reply

yeah ikr? yayyyy im excited how you'll do that yeah, it makes me kinda cOnsCiOuS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:33 Feb 04, 2021

We're playing skribble again at 3:30 today, if you want to join the link will be at the bottom of my bio. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:23 Feb 03, 2021

The game's reallyyy soon! I'll put the link in ma bio! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ryan LmColli
14:35 Apr 09, 2021

That was an amazing book! Catolg intense a bunch of dialog and and reminds of a book ive read before... AMAZING JOB!! I really wnt to read more storys from you... Also please follow and like my storys please my storys are usally funny, thanks.

Reply

Show 1 reply
. .
13:11 Feb 09, 2021

NEW STORY

Reply

Show 0 replies

Goodbye. Poor John :( I wish they could've tortured Kent because he killed John in such a cruel way. By the way, what's your profile picture?

Reply

D: XD me too XD Doma kissing Shinobu, and I donโ€™t think shinobu likes it XD I ship them mmm,

Reply

Okay, I'm sorry but that thing on t op of Doma's head looks like a unique colored egg.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
18:14 Feb 03, 2021

OMG THIS WAS SO DARN GOOOOOOOOOOOOD YOU DIDN'T RUSH THROUGH THE DARKNESS IT WAS GREATTTTTT

Reply

Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.