242 comments

Fiction Happy

β€œLyla you have to go to school!”


β€œYes Mom, I know.”


Lyla grabbed her shoes from the rack and slipped them on.


It was the middle of July in Los Angeles, California, and Lyla had summer school.


Her parents sent her to summer school because Lyla did not pay attention in class.


At all.


If her teacher was talking about column addition, Lyla would be staring outside and doodling in her notebook about faeries and dragons and witches. If the teacher called her name, Lyla wouldn’t have any idea what to say, because she hadn’t been listening.


Lyla called out, β€œI’m gonna go now, Mom!”


β€œBye, sweetie!”


Lyla slipped on her pink backpack, turned the doorknob, and walked off to school.


Thump thump thump


The sunlight shone on Lyla’s backpack, heating it up while she happily skipped off to summer school. Lyla didn’t care much about school anyway, since she was only in Grade 3. Another reason is that since she didn’t listen to anything at school, Lyla just drew and gazed out the window all day. She didn’t have any friends either, and even if she did, she wouldn’t talk much.Β 


Thump thump thump


Her school came up into sight: Harrowood Elementary School.


As Lyla neared the school, she brought out her trusty sketchbook, which she held onto during the whole day.Β 


β€œ...Oh hi, Lyla. Having a fun time at summer school?”


Hailey, the bully of literally everyone.


Except for her friends, of course.


Hailey and her gang of girls were hanging out at the front doors, ready to taunt anyone that came their way.


β€œIs little Lyla afraid to talk to the big mean bully?” Hailey teased, breaking out of laughter.


Her friends joined in, the laughing sounding more hesitant.


Lyla kept her head down, not wanting to meet Hailey’s eyes.


She managed to sneak a glance at one of her friends, who stopped giggling and gave her a sympathetic smile.


Lyla just turned around, ignoring the hyena laughter and entered the building.


Bring!


β€œOkay class, get out you’re workbooks, we’re gonna learn how to write cursive today!” exclaimed Lyla’s teacher, Ms. Hlana.


Lyla didn’t bother to get anything out but her pencil, because she was going to draw.


β€œLyla, where is your workbook?”


β€œI left it at home.”


Ms. Hlana buried her face in her hands. β€œYou always leave it at home. Remember to bring it tomorrow, okay?”


Lyla nodded her head and opened up to a fresh new page in her sketchbook.


The sketchbook had creme coloured pages with tiny little dots on them. The cover was a muted pink, with some unicorns and rainbows.


Lyla didn’t love unicorns, but it was the only notebook that had special paper, so she bought it.


She stared outside, the bright green grass illuminated by the sun, the blades of grass completely still.


Lyla started drawing.


She was pretty good at it too. She drew the grass lit up by the sun, as it was outside, but added faeries flitting around, gnomes helping to cut the grass, even a tiny rainbow in the background amongst it all.


She was just about to grab her coloured pencils when Ms. Hlana interrupted her.


β€œLyla, could you come up to the board and show the class how to write a cursive β€˜r’?”


Lyla hadn’t been paying attention, as always, but set down her materials and walked up to the Smartboard.


Ms. Hlana handed her a stylus and gestured her to start.


Lyla twirled the stylus around in her hand, trying to make up a way to make the letter β€˜r’ look like cursive.


She wrote an β€˜r’ on the board and then added a little swirl at the end.


Lyla looked over to Ms. Hlana, whose brow was furrowed intensely.


β€œLyla, were you paying attention earlier?”


Lyla shook her head slowly, looking over the small summer school class that she was a part of.


Ben, who was the class clown but ended up getting all D’s, was drawing a picture on his desk.


Annie, who shouted out way too much, was chewing on a giant eraser.


Ula, who seemed like he had a zipper permanently closed over his mouth, was reading a book named β€˜The Three Little Pigs’.


Fran, who loved science but was awful at everything else, was tapping her pencil on her desk with inconsistent rhythm.


Noor, who was apparently a prodigy at the piano but couldn’t do simple addition, was humming a complicated tune loudly.


And Lyla, who never paid attention in class since she was drawing, received a glare from Ms. Hlana.


β€œLyla, when will you ever listen?”


Lyla shrugged and pranced back to her seat.


Ms. Hlana sighed.


β€œOkay class, now we will move on to the letter β€˜j’.”


Lyla just continued drawing, adding more and more elements to her drawing until it resembled something out of a picture book.


*


Bring!


β€œIt’s time for recess kids! Don’t forget to go out in a single line…”


Kids poured out of the school, the supervisor’s voice getting drowned out until she stopped talking.


Lyla went outside with her sketchbook as normal and walked over to her usual tree.


She settled down in the crevice of a tree root and found the page that she was on before.


Faeries dancing, gnomes cutting, rainbows reaching.


Lyla signed her initials on the bottom right corner: L.B. for Lyla Benett.


Suddenly, the temperature seemed to drop. The blue sky seemed to be tinted with grey, as if a sky giant had just painted grey watercolour over the atmosphere.


Lyla liked that idea.


Everyone in the field stopped playing kickball, tag, or reading their book. It must’ve dropped 20 degrees, making Lyla shiver a bit.Β 


Hee hee


Lyla heard a sound behind her and spun around quickly.


A little faerie was hovering just at her eye level, with ice-blue wings and pale skin. The faerie covered her mouth with her hands and said,” Hee hee.”


Lyla blinked, and the faerie was gone.


*


At home, Lyla was watching the evening news with her parents while drawing another picture.


β€œA cold snap seems to have grappled LA with its wind. Earlier today, the temperature dropped 23.7 degrees and is continuing to lower. Looks like it could even get to 30 degrees, so be careful out there.”


The news anchor winked and the screen faded to black. Lyla waited for it to switch to the next program, but when it didn’t, she realized her dad had turned the TV off.


β€œCome on Lyla, it’s time for bed!” Her dad said, tickling Lyla under her arms.


After a short fit of giggling, Lyla protested, β€œBut it’s only 8!”


β€œYes, but now that cold snap is out there to get you, you have to go to bed earlier so it won’t whisk you away to Wonderland,” Dad said, smiling while hoisting Lyla up onto his shoulders.


β€œOkay Daddy,” Lyla responded while her dad walked her up the stairs.


But when Lyla went to sleep, she had a feeling that the faerie she saw earlier had something to do with the sudden chills.


*


In the morning, Lyla woke up and was astonished when she looked out her window.


It looked like Wonderland.


Snow was everywhere, with snowman’s already built and kids sledding down huge mounts of snow with their parents. Little snowflakes continued to fall, some sticking to Lyla’s window.


She peered at the new shapes, with their six sharp edges before they melted into nothingness.Β 


Lyla ran down the stairs and jumped into her dad’s arms unexpectedly.


β€œThere’s snow outside! When can I go? Will you com-”


β€œWait Lyla, remember, you have school today!” her mom exclaimed from the kitchen, running up to her with her backpack.Β 


Lyla grumbled, wanting to get out in the snow.


β€œI’ll drive you to school today, there’s almost a foot of snow out there!” said her mom, hurriedly strapping on her boots.


β€œI’m so excited for recess!” Lyla exclaimed, took her mother’s hand and stepped out into the snow.


*


β€œClass, today we were going to practice our cursive, but since there is a lot of snow outside, today’s a snow day!” Ms. Hlana said.


She was probably gonna say more, but everyone was already outside.


Lyla stared at the endless snowflakes that floated down from the sky, little stars that were drifting down from heaven. Her five classmates were completely engrossed in the snow, along with all their siblings that had come too.Β 


Ben was making a snowman with his sister, making so many jokes that she was going to die of laughter.


Annie was running around with her mom and was screaming about how lovely the snow was.


Ula was building an igloo, probably from all the books he had read during class.


Fran was designing a snow house, because that’s just Fran.


Noor was with his brother, both of them talking about how they could compose a piece about snow on the piano.


Even Hailey was there with her friends, looking truly happy.


Hee hee


Lyla turned around, and on a mound of snow was the faerie that she had seen yesterday. The faerie fluttered her wings, and several more faeries flew down from the sky, blending into the snowflakes.


β€œOh my god!” Ben said and ran to the faeries.


β€œMommy, there’s faeries! Annie shouted, and started scrambling towards Lyla.


Ula looked up, and whispered, β€œWow.”


Probably the first time Lyla had heard Ula speak.


Fran, Noor and his brother just walked towards Lyla without saying anything, perhaps trying to get there before everyone else.


Ben was first. A faerie landed on his mittens, making his jaw drop. Everyone else had a similar reaction. The first faerie, the one that Lyla had seen yesterday, perched on Lyla’s finger and said,” Hee hee buzz click hee.”


Lyla didn’t understand what the faerie said, but she got the gist of it.


Looking at her classmates, Lyla was overwhelmed with delight.


And Lyla was with her faerie, filled with happiness and saved the moment, so she could draw it later.


*

January 16, 2021 21:02

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

242 comments

Ahh, beautiful plot Amethyst. I loved this sweet and cheerful story so much. =)

Reply

Thank youuuu! I like writing these type of stories, it really fun :D also this was a bit long for me, about 1600 words

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
09:49 Jan 24, 2021

Actually, I know from where the fairies came. The books magical, whatever Lyla draws comes in real life. I just added a thought to the lovely story. The story was good and nice. I felt it needed a bit more polished otherwise overall it was good. Keep writing.

Reply

actually, i never thought of that, but that DOES make sense πŸ€” thank you! and yes, I will :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
21:19 Jan 16, 2021

Hello! This story had some grammatical errors, but overall, I really liked it. I enjoyed Lyla's character (my sister is named Lyla, too, but spelled Lila) and the rest of the people in the class's. I also enjoyed the simplistic approach to the writing - it added to the experience of setting us in the minds of elementary school kids. The faeries sorta came out if nowhere, though, so maybe work on that.

Reply

Thank you! Oh ok, I'll look over it again thanks, I wanted to be a more relaxed story, so glad that turned out! hmm, they did, but I kinda like that, so I think I'll keep them if that's okay. Thanks again Maya! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Maya W.
21:27 Jan 16, 2021

You can keep them if you want, lol. It's your story!

Reply

oh yeah, sometimes i forget that XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:05 Apr 10, 2021

Beautifuuuullllllllllllllllllllllll so bootifullllllllllllllllllll The story was heartwarming and sweet and I really enjoyed it! The end was like *sigh of satisfaction* and the vibe reminds of like- classic fairytales! I have found out the main themes in your writing- 1. Ghosts 2. Faeries 3. Random stuff no one knows how you come up with XD But this was so sweeet to read and the plot was very creative! I like how everything came together in the end and it was like a "happily ever after" ending! Eeeee love itttt

Reply

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :DDD sUcH hIgH pRaIsE thank youuuuuuuuu yeah. that's basically it XDD thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu :DDDD <333

Reply

16:07 Apr 12, 2021

Hahahahaha of courseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee your welcomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kylie Rudolf
20:11 Jan 25, 2021

Nice plot! This story is so cute! Love it!🀍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:35 Jan 25, 2021

Would you like to play skribble at 3:30 EST (different time than before) today?

Reply

herm lets see i have spanish during that time, so I will come at 4 EST cause that's when it ends is that okay?

Reply

Maya -
15:57 Jan 25, 2021

Sure! :) How are you?

Reply

yay ok im doing good cause i finished all my school stuff :D

Reply

Maya -
16:01 Jan 25, 2021

That's great! Are you still planning on making a google form with your art? :)

Reply

hmm i kinda forgot, but i might make it during our long break :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Patrick H
03:29 Jan 25, 2021

Nicely done, Apricot Amethyst. Ah..to be a kid again The transitions jump a bit, but other than that, well done!

Reply

Thanks! Oh ok, thanks, I'll try writing transitions a bit smoother now :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
18:14 Jan 23, 2021

By the way, I have submitted a new story would love your feedback on it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mou Sur
12:17 Jan 23, 2021

Lovely Story! loved it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeni Conrad
13:06 Jan 22, 2021

I love the whimsy in this story. Very fun!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruby πŸ’«
22:09 Jan 21, 2021

This was a sweet story. I'm a reading a book that has something to do with faeries. I like these kind of stories😊 good job! -RubyπŸ’–

Reply

thanks! ooh what's it called? :D yay thanksssssss

Reply

Ruby πŸ’«
22:46 Jan 21, 2021

It's called Faerieground a wish in the woods ✨

Reply

Ruby πŸ’«
22:59 Jan 21, 2021

The author= Beth Bracken The Illustrator= Odessa Sawyer

Reply

Ooh ok I’ll put it on my tbr (to be read) list :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
19:28 Jan 20, 2021

Skribble link: https://skribbl.io/?KZutHfRABbvG

Reply

oop thanks i went on a walk and I TOTALLY forgot my Spanish starts in 25 minutes so ill play till then :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:07 Jan 20, 2021

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP GOINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Reply

OKAY yay you checked it :D

Reply

16:07 Jan 20, 2021

XDDD OFC

Reply

i think i might finish my final project today :P

Reply

16:09 Jan 20, 2021

I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW YOU DO IT

Reply

i aM aLwAys bOrEd sO i LiKe dOiNg a LoT oF stUfF :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
10:22 Jan 18, 2021

Aw such a sweet story Amethyst! I enjoyed reading it! <3

Reply

Thank you, I’m glad you liked it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:29 Jan 17, 2021

🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩🍩

Reply

woohoo that sounded really sarcastic oof

Reply

21:31 Jan 17, 2021

XDD yesh it kinda did

Reply

21:33 Jan 17, 2021

Nah that's fineee XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:16 Jan 17, 2021

Oh wow. I really like your story! I liked the way you included the faeries. I think that this is a great way to write this prompt.-CJ P.S I read your Bio so...🍩

Reply

Thank you! I’m glad you like the faeries, they added a little something extra :) Yayyyyy thx - Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This story was so simple and amazing at the same time good job!!! :)

Reply

yayy happy that you like ittt! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hello! I wrote this story in maybe 2 hours, so please give me some critique if you would like me to change something :) also, is the title good? I always ask this lol anyways, have a great day! ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
20:30 Jun 16, 2021

very cool (or cold XD) story! Even though it's fiction, it's very hard to believe that it would snow in LA like ever XD. Lyla is a nice name, and her imagination is perfect! super cool job! L.W.

Reply

TJ Squared
22:34 Jun 17, 2021

np :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.