The Ultimate Chess Player's Guide to Happiness

Submitted into Contest #75 in response to: Write about someone who has finally managed to succeed at a long-standing New Year’s resolution.... view prompt

226 comments

Teens & Young Adult Sad Inspirational

Disclaimer: I don't actually play chess, so sorry if I got some of the details wrong. With that being said, enjoy!


Chess strategies lined up in my head as soon as I glanced at the chessboard, waiting for me to pick and apply one. The board was made up of exactly 64 squares, 32 white and 32 black. It was a perfect mixture, one that I loved. 

“Next up, Varsha Vimal playing white, and Zelene Gilbert playing black!” The announcer declared. This was the biggest chess tournament of my life, it was the state tournament and it was being broadcasted live on TV. I had wanted to win this for as long as I can remember, and this year I was finally old enough to participate. I had been practicing nonstop for the past months, staying up until midnight memorizing every known chess strategy. It was a few days until the new year, and my New Year’s resolution for this year was to win this tournament, and I would. 

I always win.

The audience clapped, and my opponent and I took our seats. I clasped my hands as I studied her. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Quite pretty, but beauty doesn’t matter in chess.

I shook her hand, wished her luck and pressed the timer button to start, producing a clicking sound that I was used to. I smiled at her, and wrote down my moves, a precaution for mistakes. My pencil scratched the paper, the sound seemingly echoing through the silent room.

The key to winning chess is not studying the chessboard, but studying the person that you’re playing against. My strategy was to get inside their brain, to be able to predict their every move. It has never failed me.

Halfway through the game, I saw Zelene start to sweat. She played with her hands and bit her lip, the signs of nervousness. It wasn’t long before a player cracked after these signs.

She glanced at me, and I smiled back. 

She moved. Click. Scratch.

I moved. Click. Scratch. I sat back, a smug grin slowly appearing on my face.

Zelene stopped, her fingers hovering over her King. I could see her mind running through ways to protect it. 

But it was no use. I had her cornered. I watched as her timer ticked down, and once it did, I would be declared winner. There was no way she would be able to get out of my trap.

Zelene sighed, and pushed down her King with her index finger, the sign of surrender. The clang when the piece hit the board ricocheted all around the room, and the audience started to clap. Slowly at first, but building up to a thunderous, standing ovation. 

I breathed out, releasing the breath that I had been holding since the beginning. I smiled at the camera, but tuned out while the announcer was concluding the tournament.

I had finally won the states competition. But I didn’t feel contempt, I felt like something was missing.

As the announcer ended the chess tournament, I realized what it was.

All of Zelene’s family and friends came up to her, crowding her and hugging her, saying that it was alright that she lost. At least she tried.

Even though I was the one who had won, I had less people congratulating me than Zelene did. I only had my mother, who always supported my dream of becoming a famous chess player. 

My father did not. It was one of the many reasons why I worked so hard for this dream. I wanted to prove him wrong, that I could become a world famous chess player.

I also had no friends surrounding me.

Sure, I had people who I sat with at lunch, and people who I occasionally talked to, but none of those people were close enough to call friends. They were mere associates. I had never been jealous of people who had lots of friends, most of them were probably fake and would stab them in the back as soon as they got the chance. At least that’s what I always told myself.

I didn’t have time for them, anyways. People used to want to hang out with me, but I always declined their offer. I was too busy practicing chess. After a while, nobody wanted to hang out with me anymore.

Not that I cared.

“Oh, my sweetie! You did so good! I am so proud of you,” my mother exclaimed, running up to me with tears in her eyes. She looked at me for a minute, as if not believing I was real. Then she crushed me into an embrace.

“Thank you!” I hugged her back, breathing in her sweet citrus scent that I had become so familiar with. It was the scent that floated next to me every time I was feeling down, and when I was feeling in need of a hug. That scent made me feel like I was protected, that I at least had one person in this world who loved me.

Little did I know that scent would soon vanish from my life forever.


————————————————————————


I traced my finger over the curves and twists of the chess trophy as I sat in the backseat of the car. Each crack of the trophy made it real, and it constantly reminded me that I had just won the states chess tournament. 

“Robert! Your daughter just won the states chess tournament! And yet you’re not even a bit proud?! What kind of father are you?” My mother interrupted my thoughts. She shook her head angrily, but fell silent, listening. Her eyes were fixated on the road in front of her.

“What happened to you? I married you for a reason! You have turned into the person that I was afraid you would turn into.” My mother never raised her voice, a quite incredible feat as the life that she lives in is full of anger.

So I should have known that the one time she did, tragedy would strike.

“I’m done with you! I AM TIRED, OKAY? I MIGHT AS WELL BE A SINGLE MOM WITH THE WAY YOU ACT. YOU HAVE NEVER CARED FOR VARSHA,” she yelled, her head whipping around in anger.

Taking them off the road.

“Mom!” I cried, as we neared a turn.

But she paid no attention to me.

“THAT IS IT! I CANNOT STAND YOU ANYMORE! I want a divorce.” That made me go into shock, but it quickly wore off. 

A car suddenly cut in front of us, and my mother, who was still not paying attention to the road, didn’t have time to press down on the brakes. I screamed as our car crashed into the one in front of us, jerking me forward as airbags popped out. I winced as my face smacked into the airbags, and I could feel blood start to stream out of my nose. But other than that I was fine.

I looked over at my mom, and screamed again.

She was sitting there, deadly still, a pool of blood near her forehead.

“MOM? ARE YOU OKAY??” I asked her, shaking her. “MOM WAKE UP!” I started crying. “Please…”

My mom was the only person who cared for me, and if something happened to her… I would be alone in this world.

I sat there, stunned, hoping that this was just a dream. Red and blue lights swirled around me. The sound of the police siren whirling made me disoriented, all the sounds mashing up into one long scream.

Or maybe I was the one who screamed. I wasn’t sure of anything anymore.

A man with a blue uniform broke down the car door, and he took me by my hand, whispering something that I couldn’t make out. As soon as I was out of the car, my legs crumbled beneath me, unable to support my body weight.

The last thing I saw before everything went black was the sympathetic looks on the police officer’s face.


I woke up to blindingly bright lights. Am I in heaven? I sat up, but a sharp pain in my head made me fall back.

No… you can’t feel pain in heaven. I groaned, and looked around. Everything was white, the chairs, the walls, the floors. 

A… hospital?! Why am I in a hospital? I started to panic, until everything crashed back into me. Which was ironic, really, because that’s how my mom was killed. By a car crash.

A little, hopeful voice inside me spoke, it’s possible that she survived…

But I quickly smothered that thought. 

Having hope hurts. It is so easy to be broken, like a thin, shaky platform that only gives you the feel of security for a small amount of time. And then it breaks, shattering as you are jerked back into the cruel, unforgiving reality. The only thing having hope accomplishes is having a further way to fall.

It was better to have no hope than to have your heart in pieces.

The numbness was back, dragging me into its deeps, and no matter how hard I struggled and pleaded, it wouldn’t let go.

“Looks like you’re awake!” A nurse walked into the room, wearing a bright smile.

“Wish I wasn’t,” I murmured inaudibly.

“Sorry?”

“Nothing.” I smiled back at her.

The rest of the visit passed somewhat quickly. All the nurse did was check-up on me, and send me her condolences. Not that I wanted them.

I hated when people said “I’m sorry.” They didn’t even know her! What are they sorry for?

And for those who say “Everything will be alright.” Everything will not be alright! If you don’t understand my life, please don’t comment about it.

“Your father will be here shortly.” She nodded at me, and then left the room so I could change back into my regular clothes.

I waited, and anxiety chewed me up inside.

My mother was gone. All I had now was an unloving father who doesn’t approve of my chess playing. And worst of all, I had no one who could comfort me. No friends, no siblings, not even a single aunt or uncle to dry my tears.

“Varsha?” My father drew me out of my thoughts. He stood at the doorway, but he looked so… disheveled. I’ve never seen him like this. 

My father was always the one business man that wore his suit everywhere. His face was always shaved, and he always looked very sharp.

But the man who stood in front of me looked like he hadn’t taken a bath in weeks, not alone shaved his face. His clothes were wrinkled, and he wasn’t wearing his signature suit and tie. 

“Father.” I glared at him. It didn’t matter if he looked different, he was still the same person.

And then he did something that I didn’t expect.

He walked up to me, slowly at first, but then breaking into a run. Then he threw his arms around me.

I stiffened up, not used to this gesture.

“Oh, Varsha, I am so, so sorry! For everything! The way I’ve treated you, and how I didn’t support your dreams.” He looked at me. “I know that you probably hate me now, but we only have each other. So, will you please forgive me? Or at least try?”

Tears formed in my eyes. My mother was dead, I had no relatives that cared about me. Only my father.

I don’t know if it was because he was my only parent left, or if deep, deep down inside, I still loved my dad.

But I reached back and hugged him, squeezing hard as the tears pooled out of my eyes and spilled down my cheeks, forming rivers of sorrow, but also hope. Sorrow for my mom, who I would never see again, never witness her smile when I won my chess matches again. 

And hope for my broken family to mend, to come together like pieces of a puzzle. Of course, the puzzle was far from perfect, but I know that one by one, piece by piece, my dad and I would find all the parts to it, and we would have a complete family.


Epilogue:

I laughed, my voice ringing out. Ever since my mom had passed away, I’ve realized that chess and success aren’t everything. I mean, what good is it if I’m good at chess, but very lonely? I would never be actually happy.

I have never really understood what happiness really was. Sure, I was happy when I won my chess tournaments, but that feeling quickly disappeared within a few hours.

But now, standing here with my new friends, and my loving dad in the background, I finally felt happy.

And I knew that this time, the feeling would last.


THIS STORY IS DEDICATED TO VARSHA VIMAL FOR BEING ONE OF MY BEST FRIENDS, AND HELPING ME CRITIQUE MY NOVEL!!!!!!!!!!


January 09, 2021 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

226 comments

Kate Reynolds
03:10 Jan 09, 2021

Helloooooo So I haven't edited this yet, so please please PLEASE tell me if there's anything I should add or anything. Also tell me what you think of the name. Thank you! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies

Loved the story Kate! I am so glad that you dedicated it to an awesome person. =)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:47 Jan 12, 2021

Thank you!!!!! :D

Reply

Your welcome Kate! :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:55 Jan 13, 2021

C:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
14:18 Jan 10, 2021

Nice plot. Have you recently seen the Netflix movie or stores based on chess? Just felt so. I loved the beginning very much. The match between Zelene and Varsha was so real and amazing. Keep writing. By the way, just telling you that even I upvoted you a lot. I love my marshmallow people.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:12 Jan 10, 2021

Thank you!!!!!!!! Nope, not yet! I am planning to soon, though! Thanksss!!! :D OMG YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH I WILL HELP UPVOTE YOU BACK! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
That Asian Creep
17:44 Jan 09, 2021

Wow. This is so emotional! I love chess, the details are great. Please could you help me improve my stories? If you want to read something humorous, you might enjoy this: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/74/submissions/47395/

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:11 Jan 09, 2021

Aw thank you!!!!!!! :D Ofc! Ooh I will check that out! C:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
17:20 Jan 11, 2021

GEORGE ORWELL STORY IS OUT

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:24 Jan 11, 2021

OMG YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:53 Jan 14, 2021

It feels like you know enough about chess! I think I was expecting a bit more monologuing about metaphors, but I loved what you did here. I have a feeling you could make even solitaire a psychological thriller story!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:55 Jan 14, 2021

Yay! Ooh ok, thanks for the feedback!!! Thank youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

HElP I NEEd TO GET TO 7000 but people Are DOWNVOTING ME SO mUUuUcH

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:06 Jan 13, 2021

OH NOOOOOOOOOOO I WILL HELPPPPPPP

Reply

I feel like the mallows have to meet irl, hehehehheehheeee

Reply

Kate Reynolds
01:59 Jan 14, 2021

Lmaoooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

New story out Kate!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:47 Jan 12, 2021

YAY I AM COMING!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
11:53 Jan 12, 2021

I have submitted a new story would love your feedback on it.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:51 Jan 12, 2021

Yay!!! I will read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Coco Longstaff
00:56 Jan 10, 2021

Yaaaah wow this is so sweet and thoughtful Ive always been interested in chess, but for me I guess its just too complicated because I still dont know how to play!! Also, I just wrote a new storyyy!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:09 Jan 10, 2021

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!! XD same tho :O I AM COMING.

Reply

Coco Longstaff
22:11 Jan 10, 2021

🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
15:11 Jan 09, 2021

Awwwww that was so nice! I think you got the details of chess pinned down pretty well. Trust me, my dad, my cousin, and my friend Zayde all love chess a LOT; so I know lots about it because of them.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:59 Jan 09, 2021

:D thank youuuu!!!!!!!! Yay!! XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
14:34 Jan 09, 2021

OMG THIS WAS AWESOME!!!! I PLAY A LITTLE CHESS AND THIS WAS PARFAIT!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:50 Jan 09, 2021

THANKSSSSS!!!!!!!! Yay!!! :D

Reply

. .
14:51 Jan 09, 2021

I’m not even joking I have no critiques whatsoever

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:52 Jan 09, 2021

Omg really-?

Reply

. .
14:53 Jan 09, 2021

Yas!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:54 Jan 09, 2021

:DDD That really means a lottttttt!!!!!!!!!! Thank youuuu!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
14:54 Jan 09, 2021

:DDD That really means a lottttttt!!!!!!!!!! Thank youuuu!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
14:34 Jan 09, 2021

Hi Kate! I loved reading your story! You write in such an amazing way!! It was so emotional, and inspirational! I feel so sad for her mom! And it was so sweet to dedicate it to Varsha! :) I didn't find anything to edit in this, and I loved the name!! Great work!! Keep writing, can't wait to read more of your work!! :DD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:50 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDD

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:54 Jan 09, 2021

Ofc!!! :DDDD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:55 Jan 09, 2021

C:

Reply

Akshaya ✨
14:58 Jan 09, 2021

C:

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Danny -
11:19 Jan 09, 2021

Why dId ThE MoM dIe NoOOooO I LiKeD herR, but other than that greaaat storyyy!! This is SOOOOOOOO sad :(( the part where nobody congratulated her but her mom(and when the mom died, of course). You writee so goood, makes me symphatize with the character with all these dEtAiLed descriptionss. And on a totally unrelated note, this reminds me of the Queen's Gambit, I looove the show, which makes me love your story even more :DD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:47 Jan 09, 2021

XDD Thankssssss!!!!!!! :DDDD Oh I know that show! I haven’t started watching it though. Is it good?

Reply

Danny -
00:34 Jan 10, 2021

Yess it is, I mostly started watching it because of Anya-taylor joy lolololool, she's soooooo beautiful

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:09 Jan 10, 2021

YESSS she reallyyyyy issss!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
03:23 Jan 09, 2021

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!!!! This story is the sweetest, most emotional thing ever. GREAT JOB!!!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:48 Jan 09, 2021

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:02 Jan 09, 2021

:)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
15:07 Jan 09, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
15:02 Jan 09, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1. TY TY TY !!! For dedicating this beautiful story to me:) 2. Correction on best friends- I treat u like my sister Kate! 3. Thank you again for dedicating, I was overjoyed when I saw my name!!!!!!!! This made me soooo happy! And also I love your novel and it's an honor to help u achieve your dreams as much as u help me!!! Your the Best friend/sis ever!!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:45 Jan 09, 2021

:D 1. NP NP NPPPP!!!!!!!!! 2. AWWWWWW THATS SO SWEETTTTTTT 3. You deserve ittttttttt THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDD YESSS YOU TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Aww, THANK YOU KATE!!!!!!!!! Your the sweetest friend/sis ever!!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:58 Jan 09, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDD BACK TO YOU

Reply

:) I have added some comments on your story so do check it out!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
14:50 Jan 09, 2021

Ooh I will!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anii ✨
17:33 May 28, 2021

Wow! This is a really amazing story! I love the ending, it's really sweet when she hugs her dad. I've played a little bit of chess before, and I think you did a great job explaining it! I think there's just one part where you say, "But I didn't feel contempt," which I think (and correct me if I'm wrong), should say content? Contempt actually means scorn, so I dunno if you wanted to say that there, or if that was just a typo or what, but yeah! I didn't catch anything else. The story is really amazing and put my smol heart on a rollercoaster.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:51 May 28, 2021

Aww thank you!!! OHHHH YEAH THANKS FOR CATCHING THAT XD Unfortunately I can't change it anymore, but I'll make sure to be more careful next timeee Aaaahhhhh thanksssssss!!!!!!! :)))

Reply

Anii ✨
15:40 Jun 08, 2021

XD no prob!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
19:51 Jun 09, 2021

:DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
08:19 Jan 15, 2021

I would suggest you read my story" Be mature". And after reading my message please make a decision to support me or not.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:40 Jan 15, 2021

Sure I will read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
12:40 Jan 15, 2021

Um I don’t see it..?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
12:52 Jan 15, 2021

Oh, your bio right? Ofc I support you!!!!!! All the way! :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
12:57 Jan 15, 2021

Actually, I was considering you know to make a club where we all would come and discuss our stories. Kind off. You know of 5-6 members giving each other feedback and comments. Helping each other to improve.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:07 Jan 15, 2021

Oohhhhhh YESSS!!! That's a good idea!!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:28 Jan 15, 2021

That's what I wanted to convey. I want a small club where we would give feedback to each other's writing and improve each other's writing style. Do you have any idea of how we can form the club. We would even shout out to new writers or a story.

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:29 Jan 15, 2021

Yeahhhh Hm, well first of all who would you like in our club?? And a name for it? I will put it in my bio and my next story as advertising

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Sia S
08:14 Jan 15, 2021

FOSTER-KEEEFEEEE

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:39 Jan 15, 2021

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Sia S
16:22 Jan 15, 2021

FINALLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY666666

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:28 Jan 15, 2021

FOSTER-KEEFE IS THE BESTETTTSNLKDBGLSDBGJSDBGJLSDBDGMSJLBDG

Reply

Sia S
16:42 Jan 15, 2021

OMG YESS FITZY IS BORINGGY

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:00 Jan 15, 2021

YES HE REALLY ISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Reply

Show 1 reply
. .
17:52 Jan 15, 2021

YOU DARE??????? FOSTER-KEEFE IS BETTER BUT FITZ IS NOT BORING.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
08:13 Jan 15, 2021

OMG FINNALLY SIMEONE WHO KNOWS AND LOVES AVA MAXXX!! HEY SISSS

Reply

Kate Reynolds
12:40 Jan 15, 2021

AVA MAX IS THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT :DDDDDDDD

Reply

Sia S
16:22 Jan 15, 2021

YESSSESSSSSSSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:28 Jan 15, 2021

YESSJLDBFSLDBDBSGSEBGLAEBGLABEGLEAJBGL

Reply

Sia S
16:41 Jan 15, 2021

BDWU8G UIFSB UOSDBC YA3ESS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.