Glossing Over the Rough Spots

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone who wishes they could turn back time.... view prompt

54 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

“Hello?”

“Yeah, hey kiddo, it’s me.”

“Dad? Where are you calling from? I don’t recognize this number.”

“Yeah, it’s not my phone. I’m in jail. Listen son, I–”

“–Wait, what!? What do you mean you’re in jail!?”

“Oh, it’s this whole big stupid thing. Anyway, I need you to wire some money–”

“–Dad! Why are you in jail?

“Because of my damn sunscreen, that’s why. I guess it was too American for the locals and didn’t meet their commie quota.”

What are you even talking about? Your sunscreen? You’re not making any sense!”

“Yeah, apparently they have some kind of ban, and my sunscreen had too many chemicals in it. Like, too much OxyContin or oxygen or whatever. Said it was bad for reefs. Said I was racist against fish.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Well, that’s when you discriminate against a group of–”

“No, I know what racism means!”

“And I’m not racist against fish.”

“I mean – Christ! – did they seriously arrest you for wearing the wrong sunscreen!?”

“Well…”

Well?

“Not exactly. The sunscreen thing comes with a fine, which is why I was calling.”

“So how’d you end up in jail?”

“There’s a teeny chance I might just maybe have also punched a cop.”

“Oh for crap’s sake.”

“Look, I didn’t know, okay? I thought it was just some two-bit resort security asshole.”

“So when you punched a cop, you thought you were actually punching a security guard?”

“Right!”

“And you thought punching a security guard was okay because?”

“Look – oh, shut up! Stop trying to change the subject. This whole trip has been such a nightmare, I swear it’s the last time we visit some third-world hellhole.”

“Dad! Hawaii is part of the U.S.!”

“Is it?”

“Yes!”

“…”

“Dad?”

“Well, whatever. Point is, I need you to wire me some cash.”

“I… jeez. Okay, how much – wait a sec, where’s Mom?”

“…”

“Dad!”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean, you don’t know where Mom is?”

“I lost her.”

“Lost her!?”

“We kind of had a fight.”

“Oh my god, you didn’t punch her too!”

“Of course not! Don’t get smart. No, as usual she blew something completely out of proportion and overreacted to the smallest thing. See, there’s this restaurant across the street from the hotel – a nice open-air seafood thing. And there’s this one waitress which – and you gotta understand, they wear these little grass skirts and not much else – she’s got a nice smile and a fantastic rack–”

“Dad!”

“–and her legs, hoo boy! Let me tell you, they’re–”

“Please stop talking.”

“–and it’s perfectly normal for a man’s eye to go roaming! But when I told your mom that while I was looking at the waitress, I was thinking of her, well, she chose to throw a tantrum anyway, because she’s unreasonable. And oh man, those legs! You know, I’ve always been a thigh guy myself, and they reminded me of the milky smooth thighs of your mother–”

“DAD!”

“No, son, I want you to hear this. Back when I met her, your mother’s thighs were the very definition of silk–”

Ohmygodimhangingupnow.

“Wait wait wait! Sheesh, fine, I’ll stop, just don’t hang up. Ah, boy, I think I really screwed the pooch on this one. Let me tell you, if I could turn the clock back…”

“Then you wouldn’t punch a cop?”

“Yeah, probably not. You know, this whole trip was supposed to be a kind of reset button for me and your mom. Retirement’s been surprisingly stressful, and I just thought, a couple weeks on the beach might be like our honeymoon. Back like in the good old days, when things were simpler and we were wild and young and in love and – what’s that noise?”

“Oh, I’m getting another call. I’m going to put you on hold for a moment.”

“No, don’t you dare! I’m in jail and I need money and–”

“Hi Mom.”

“Well hello dearie! Now, I don’t mean to worry you or anything, but have you maybe heard from your father recently? I can’t seem to get through to his phone.”

“Yeah, I’m actually chatting to him right now, on the other line.”

“Oh, that’s such a relief! It doesn’t seem to matter how many times we go through it, he just can’t remember how to use any of the features of his cellphone.”

“He’s not on his cell, Mom–”

“I honestly think he was happier in the days of rotaries. ‘When a phone was a phone,’ he always says, ‘and not a clock and VCR too.’ Oh, that reminds me of the most darling little figurine I found at the tourist market. It’s made of clay and has a big cute smile and a ukulele and–”

“Mom! Dad’s in jail.”

“Oh for Pete’s sake! I just knew he’d go and do something like this. I just knew it! My horoscope even said, ‘someone close to you might inadvertently stymie your artistic growth.’ And before that, it said I’d have artistic inspiration today and wouldn’t you know it? I spent all morning thinking about how maybe I’d like to sign up for those painting lessons at the community centre. And I didn’t even know what stymie meant, but when I looked it up, that’s exactly what he did.”

“Mom, what are you talking about?”

“I just want to know where the romance went. I thought – I don’t know. Things would be pleasanter after retirement. It’s like we have to relearn everything, and it would be so much easier if we could just go back in time. Or maybe that’s wrong. Maybe it always took work and I’m glossing over the rough spots. Maybe that’s the charm! Why’s he in jail anyway?”

“Used the wrong sunscreen.”

“I told him not to buy the cheap stuff.”

“He needs money for the fine. And honestly, I don’t even know what a ‘wire transfer’ is. Can you talk with him?”

“Yes, that’s for the best. Which jail is he staying at?”

“I’ve got him on the other line. I’ll do a group chat thing.”

“–because they were importing the grapes when we had perfectly good cranberries right at home! But did the senator listen? Let me tell you–”

“Dad!”

“Yeah?”

“I’ve got Mom on the line.”

“…”

“…”

“Heya, honey.”

“Hello, dear.”

“I’ll leave you two to it. Have a good rest of your vacation! Bye!”

January 23, 2024 00:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Marty B
01:12 Feb 13, 2024

Oh boy these two shouldn't have been let out of their corner of suburbia. Blaming their problems on anyone who gets in close. The son did the right thing, let those two figure it out, they deserve each other! I thought the dialogue worked well, I could tell who was speaking by the language (and wish that security cop sung back!)

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Feb 13, 2024

Glad to hear the dialogue worked - very much an experiment for me :) Thanks for reading, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathryn Kahn
16:27 Feb 06, 2024

I absolutely loved these two annoying characters, and their long-suffering child. As an older, retired person myself, I am especially amused. There's an old saying, "The older you get, the more like yourself you become." So is the desire to turn back the clock really a desire to be a former self, when one hadn't already cut off possibilities, become "too much like themselves?" A lot of older people I know wish they could turn back the clock, but I always wonder if they'd be happier and do things differently, or just follow the same path. I ...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:49 Feb 07, 2024

Thanks, Kathryn! You know, that's a great point about turning back the clock. A version I frequently hear is “I wish I could go back, with all the knowledge I have now.” Eating your cake and still having it too, I suppose, and a sentiment I've had myself. I think there's lots to explore here, especially that difference between those who want to change things, and those who want to relive them. Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Luca King Greek
12:35 Jan 31, 2024

Very funny!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Jan 31, 2024

Thanks, Luca! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
05:47 Jan 30, 2024

Love the set-up with the retired couple talking through the son. I think a lot of couples do this after a certain point and that's why the comedy works-it's absurd, but anchored in the truth about how the vacation turned out, how retirement is not what they expected, and how she is looking out for the husband on a steady basis. While they are mutually fed up with each other, the love shines through. Congrats on your 100th submission and thank you for keeping us reading one delightful story of yours after another.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:33 Jan 30, 2024

Thanks, Wally! 100 has been fun, and went by much more quickly than I anticipated - kind of fitting the time theme this week. Yeah, there seems to be something universal about indirect communication, and sometimes having that third-party to go through is comfortable. I'm glad you enjoyed this one :) As always, I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sabrina Ash
19:15 Jan 29, 2024

This is great! The dads cluelessness is hilarious!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:36 Jan 30, 2024

Thanks, Sabrina! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Robert Egan
02:26 Jan 29, 2024

Nice dialogue-only approach, Michal! My folks recently retired and went to Hawaii, so I can't help but feel I'm part of the demographic for this one.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 30, 2024

Thanks, Robert! I'd like to think anyone who is, or has, parents, can somehow relate :) Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
02:11 Jan 29, 2024

This was too funny! It was a great read and you managed to convey deeper meaning than the light conversation. Congrats on 100!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Jan 30, 2024

Thanks Kate! It's certainly been a journey so far :) I'm glad you enjoyed this one!

Reply

Kate Winchester
22:32 Jan 30, 2024

Welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
An Nguyen
17:00 Jan 28, 2024

Hilarious! The poor kid, though. No one wants to hear Dad reminiscing about Mom's legs.

Reply

Michał Przywara
02:43 Jan 30, 2024

Heh, no doubt :) One man's fond memory is another's don't-want-to-hear-it. Thanks for reading, An!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hazel Ide
18:51 Jan 27, 2024

This was great, really enjoyable read. Despite the hilarity of why dads in jail, I like the realistic nature of their relationship (both with their kid and husband wife), how communication falters but you could still see their love. Funny. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:36 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks, Hazel! Glad to see their underlying relationship comes through. For people you spend a lot of time with, that seems to be based on not just what you say, but also what you don't, and how you say it. Maybe highlighting that is an advantage of dialogue-only? I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Myranda Marie
18:10 Jan 27, 2024

Thoroughly enjoyable. I can imagine my 30 year old son having to deal with us in a similar way. We make him crazy as it is, haha. Great read, as always.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:35 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks, Myranda! Glad you enjoyed it :) Life would be boring if we didn't drive each other crazy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Page
17:10 Jan 27, 2024

Great story! Fantastic plot construction. And told almost entirely in dialogue. A three-way call no less. And lots of great humor. Incredible character development given that you had to reveal it through dialogue and discussions by the other characters. Your characters are vivid and relatable. I liked how the dad didn't know the features of the cell phone and kept giving cringy sexual vibes out. How the mom was tying life events back to her astrology reading. The vacation premise and sunscreen/environmental code violation arrest idea. Awesom...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks, Jonathan! I've been meaning to try the dialogue-only format out for a while, and it was a fun experience. There's some extra things you need to consider, but on the other hand, there are some things you can skip entirely since they're not relevant to dialogue. Anyway, glad this one was enjoyable - I appreciate the feedback :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:43 Jan 27, 2024

Great character development using only dialogue. Excellent pacing and definitely felt the frustration of the son. Thanks for sharing and congrats on 100 stories 👏

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks, Brianna! I'm glad to hear the characters came through :) Doing that with only dialogue was a fun challenge. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Lane
11:46 Jan 27, 2024

Hah! As a son of recently retired parents, this resonated. Something about the newly freed time can bring out the 'best' (i.e make people act like teenagers again). Though really, I'm happy for both Mom and Dad in the story. At the very least, they're having an adventure. This was a fun read, and one where every line counted. Nice job! Also, congrats on the 100 submissions. That's an impressive amount of ideas and words committed and submitted! Cheers!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Jan 29, 2024

Thanks, James! Yeah, it's been quite a journey through 100. At the start I wondered if I might run out of ideas, but if anything it's actually generated more ideas. So fitting for the theme this week, I'll sooner run out of time :) Anyway, glad you enjoyed this one - thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
20:03 Jan 26, 2024

I loved that dad had no idea Hawaii was part of the US. Great fun.

Reply

Michał Przywara
04:01 Jan 29, 2024

It was a fun one to write :) I'm glad you enjoyed it - thanks Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
11:07 Jan 26, 2024

Great characters and dialogue. Utter fun. Pertinent points about retirement being stressful. Difficult adjustments when people have different concepts of what it means . Interesting also about the human tendency to gloss things over. The past either seems like all roses round the door or something out of a horror movie - rather than the mundane reality it can sometimes prove to be. Their poor son! What did he do to deserve such a phone call? I liked the bit when he put his mum on speaker phone. Even so, one senses a deep affection unde...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:43 Jan 26, 2024

Thanks, Helen! Yeah, 100 :) A year ago I set myself a goal of “another year” and it's almost there. This one was a fun experiment to write - glad you enjoyed it! All dialogue intimidates me, as there's the very real risk of the reader losing track of who's speaking, but then again, I've read a lot of great all-dialogue stories where I didn't have any issues following along, so it can certainly be done. I appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
22:58 Jan 25, 2024

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me. That was a delight.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:37 Jan 26, 2024

Thanks, Ty! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
22:33 Jan 25, 2024

Loved it Michael! A joy to read. So relatable, especially at my age LOL. And best of all, you used my favorite writing style…all dialogue. 👏 Well, this week’s prompts finally sprung me from my writing hibernation of 6 months. Hope to post my entry tonight. Of course, it’s nowhere near as good as this, but at least I’m giving Reedsy a shot again. See you on the charts 😂

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:39 Jan 26, 2024

Thanks, Viga! And it's awesome to hear there's a new story from you :) Looking forward to reading it! Dialogue-only - I don't think I've done this before. It's always been a little intimidating, with that constant doubt “what if the reader loses track of who's speaking?” But then again, I've read a lot of great dialogue-only stories, so it's definitely doable. In fact, there's something magical about conveying all the action so indirectly, and yet still clearly. Thanks for dropping by!

Reply

Viga Boland
03:09 Jan 27, 2024

Ah, once you give “dialogue only” a shot, as you did here…and brilliantly…you see how well it works. I LOVE this method of story-telling. For me, it’s like watching characters in an episodic TV show. No-one is narrating what’s happening: the audience just watches the characters interacting with each other. But in the reader’s mind, we can picture any setting we choose.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:08 Jan 24, 2024

Extra points for making fun of Hawaii. The pacing is fantastic if you listen to this in audio. Gorgeous tone. Clapping

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:44 Jan 25, 2024

Thanks, Tommy! Glad to hear it sounds good in audio. I run my stories through a text-to-speech before publishing, but I try to keep it monotone as that's useful for picking up certain errors. The sunscreen thing fascinates me. I first ran into in Mexico (maybe Cuba?) but the penalties weren't particularly notable. Mind you, I didn't punch a cop either. Appreciate the feedback!

Reply

Tommy Goround
22:14 Jan 25, 2024

I might fail at your horror challenge. All the ideas just seem so funny. Idk. Gonna try to put some salt in the bathtub, lights out with a tarp and make a DIY deprevation chamber. It might work.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 26, 2024

“All the ideas just seem so funny.” I think I get you. I've tried and failed writing a number of serious stories, because serious in a slightly different context is hilarious, and people have a tendency to cling to their serious to absurd levels. But maybe funny horror is a thing. I'm reminded of Irving's “The World According to Garp”. It's not strictly a comedy, but it does serious-funny (nihilistic-funny?) well, and while it's not a horror either, there is *that* scene, which I won't spoil here other than saying “blowjob”.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tom Skye
19:01 Jan 24, 2024

Fun read, Michal! 100 stories as well :) Great free flowing dialogue and very funny. I enjoyed the reversal of roles. I.e. the parent was the irresponsible one. Great work. Thanks for sharing and congrats on 100

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:38 Jan 25, 2024

Thanks, Tom! Yeah, you can have a lot of fun with role reversal, especially if it's hoisted onto a character :) Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
15:47 Jan 24, 2024

It's not a Michal story without hilarity ! Brilliant ! The parents rambling off and the main character giving up were gold !

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 24, 2024

Thanks, Stella! I'm glad there were some laughs here :) It was fun to write, and an interesting challenge trying to keep the speakers clear in dialogue-only.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.