Glossing Over the Rough Spots

Submitted into Contest #234 in response to: Write a story about someone who wishes they could turn back time.... view prompt

54 comments

Funny Contemporary Fiction

“Hello?”

“Yeah, hey kiddo, it’s me.”

“Dad? Where are you calling from? I don’t recognize this number.”

“Yeah, it’s not my phone. I’m in jail. Listen son, I–”

“–Wait, what!? What do you mean you’re in jail!?”

“Oh, it’s this whole big stupid thing. Anyway, I need you to wire some money–”

“–Dad! Why are you in jail?

“Because of my damn sunscreen, that’s why. I guess it was too American for the locals and didn’t meet their commie quota.”

What are you even talking about? Your sunscreen? You’re not making any sense!”

“Yeah, apparently they have some kind of ban, and my sunscreen had too many chemicals in it. Like, too much OxyContin or oxygen or whatever. Said it was bad for reefs. Said I was racist against fish.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Well, that’s when you discriminate against a group of–”

“No, I know what racism means!”

“And I’m not racist against fish.”

“I mean – Christ! – did they seriously arrest you for wearing the wrong sunscreen!?”

“Well…”

Well?

“Not exactly. The sunscreen thing comes with a fine, which is why I was calling.”

“So how’d you end up in jail?”

“There’s a teeny chance I might just maybe have also punched a cop.”

“Oh for crap’s sake.”

“Look, I didn’t know, okay? I thought it was just some two-bit resort security asshole.”

“So when you punched a cop, you thought you were actually punching a security guard?”

“Right!”

“And you thought punching a security guard was okay because?”

“Look – oh, shut up! Stop trying to change the subject. This whole trip has been such a nightmare, I swear it’s the last time we visit some third-world hellhole.”

“Dad! Hawaii is part of the U.S.!”

“Is it?”

“Yes!”

“…”

“Dad?”

“Well, whatever. Point is, I need you to wire me some cash.”

“I… jeez. Okay, how much – wait a sec, where’s Mom?”

“…”

“Dad!”

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean, you don’t know where Mom is?”

“I lost her.”

“Lost her!?”

“We kind of had a fight.”

“Oh my god, you didn’t punch her too!”

“Of course not! Don’t get smart. No, as usual she blew something completely out of proportion and overreacted to the smallest thing. See, there’s this restaurant across the street from the hotel – a nice open-air seafood thing. And there’s this one waitress which – and you gotta understand, they wear these little grass skirts and not much else – she’s got a nice smile and a fantastic rack–”

“Dad!”

“–and her legs, hoo boy! Let me tell you, they’re–”

“Please stop talking.”

“–and it’s perfectly normal for a man’s eye to go roaming! But when I told your mom that while I was looking at the waitress, I was thinking of her, well, she chose to throw a tantrum anyway, because she’s unreasonable. And oh man, those legs! You know, I’ve always been a thigh guy myself, and they reminded me of the milky smooth thighs of your mother–”

“DAD!”

“No, son, I want you to hear this. Back when I met her, your mother’s thighs were the very definition of silk–”

Ohmygodimhangingupnow.

“Wait wait wait! Sheesh, fine, I’ll stop, just don’t hang up. Ah, boy, I think I really screwed the pooch on this one. Let me tell you, if I could turn the clock back…”

“Then you wouldn’t punch a cop?”

“Yeah, probably not. You know, this whole trip was supposed to be a kind of reset button for me and your mom. Retirement’s been surprisingly stressful, and I just thought, a couple weeks on the beach might be like our honeymoon. Back like in the good old days, when things were simpler and we were wild and young and in love and – what’s that noise?”

“Oh, I’m getting another call. I’m going to put you on hold for a moment.”

“No, don’t you dare! I’m in jail and I need money and–”

“Hi Mom.”

“Well hello dearie! Now, I don’t mean to worry you or anything, but have you maybe heard from your father recently? I can’t seem to get through to his phone.”

“Yeah, I’m actually chatting to him right now, on the other line.”

“Oh, that’s such a relief! It doesn’t seem to matter how many times we go through it, he just can’t remember how to use any of the features of his cellphone.”

“He’s not on his cell, Mom–”

“I honestly think he was happier in the days of rotaries. ‘When a phone was a phone,’ he always says, ‘and not a clock and VCR too.’ Oh, that reminds me of the most darling little figurine I found at the tourist market. It’s made of clay and has a big cute smile and a ukulele and–”

“Mom! Dad’s in jail.”

“Oh for Pete’s sake! I just knew he’d go and do something like this. I just knew it! My horoscope even said, ‘someone close to you might inadvertently stymie your artistic growth.’ And before that, it said I’d have artistic inspiration today and wouldn’t you know it? I spent all morning thinking about how maybe I’d like to sign up for those painting lessons at the community centre. And I didn’t even know what stymie meant, but when I looked it up, that’s exactly what he did.”

“Mom, what are you talking about?”

“I just want to know where the romance went. I thought – I don’t know. Things would be pleasanter after retirement. It’s like we have to relearn everything, and it would be so much easier if we could just go back in time. Or maybe that’s wrong. Maybe it always took work and I’m glossing over the rough spots. Maybe that’s the charm! Why’s he in jail anyway?”

“Used the wrong sunscreen.”

“I told him not to buy the cheap stuff.”

“He needs money for the fine. And honestly, I don’t even know what a ‘wire transfer’ is. Can you talk with him?”

“Yes, that’s for the best. Which jail is he staying at?”

“I’ve got him on the other line. I’ll do a group chat thing.”

“–because they were importing the grapes when we had perfectly good cranberries right at home! But did the senator listen? Let me tell you–”

“Dad!”

“Yeah?”

“I’ve got Mom on the line.”

“…”

“…”

“Heya, honey.”

“Hello, dear.”

“I’ll leave you two to it. Have a good rest of your vacation! Bye!”

January 23, 2024 00:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Michelle Oliver
14:08 Jan 23, 2024

Fun story this week. Congrats on the 100 stories. I enjoyed the exasperation of the narrator here. Each character had a distinct voice and it was enjoyable to hear how they interacted with one another. The exasperation of the son was so on point and his solution in the end pure genius. You captured the generational gap on both sides well. The son- I don’t even know what a ‘wire transfer’ is. The father-‘When a phone was a phone,’ he always says, ‘and not a clock and VCR too.’ Thanks for sharing

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:45 Jan 24, 2024

Thanks, Michelle! Yeah, 100 - it doesn't feel like *that* much time has passed, but I guess the goal has always been “write 1 story in 1 week; repeat”. I've been trying to cut the length of these stories down, and the dialogue-only approach seems to free up some room. Glad it was enjoyable!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:25 Jan 23, 2024

And just like that it’s a hundred !💫Like clockwork! Congratulations, Michal. I admire your discipline and commitment to a creative endeavour…even if it were a pleasure trip. There is a lot to like about this dialogue-only piece. For starters, it confronts the disconnect of an aged couple in a hilarious manner, avoiding a heavy handed treatment, but still manages to deliver the message- the only place to live is, here and now! I liked the idiosyncrasies of both the seniors, partly stemming from a very common nostalgia for the times gone by, e...

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:46 Jan 24, 2024

Thanks so much, Suma! You know, I've been so focused on 104 stories that 100 slipped by until people pointed it out. But yeah, this whole thing started off as an exercise in discipline, and I think it's paid off. Right on with the analysis. I've seen a lot of good dialogue-only stories here - Chris Campbell's (https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/chris-campbell-9f4b4a/) Tom and Eric stories come to mind - and I thought I'd give the format a go. Glad it worked out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
03:39 Jan 23, 2024

Lol! That was a fun read!!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:40 Jan 23, 2024

Thanks, Hannah! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
01:26 Jan 23, 2024

Oy vey! Parents! What-cha-gonna-do? :-0 100 winners! Way to go, Michal.

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:41 Jan 23, 2024

Thanks, Trudy! Hard to believe it's already 100 :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
00:27 Jan 23, 2024

It is so hard to raise responsible parents these days!

Reply

Michał Przywara
21:42 Jan 23, 2024

Ha :) They say wisdom comes with age, but I fear I'm only getting older.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.