197 comments

Adventure Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

Axel proceeded to press a glowing button on a panel of the ship, moments later the larger main door to the ship opened up. He turned to look at Cora, who was suddenly gone.

His antennae shot up quickly once he noticed this, and began to frantically look around. "Oh come on, come on...I can't be losing both of..."

"Gosh calm down Axie, I'm over here."

He quickly turned around to face the voice, his antennae and tail lowering in relief. She had been a bit far behind him and was standing next to one of the windows of the ship.

"Cora what are you doing? You almost scared me to death, what if something actually happened to you? Then I would have to..."

She walked over and put a finger over his lips, then let out a sigh of annoyance before finally speaking. "Shush. I was just looking out the window... what's all that white stuff on the ground?"

He gently moved Cora to the other side, and then looked out of the window for himself. Several thick layers of it were on the ground, and it still seemed to be coming out of the sky at the moment. Oh great, is that some yellow snow I see?

He glanced down at his feet for a few seconds which were barefoot and didn't have anything on them. When Cora had asked him one day why he didn't wear shoes or anything on his feet, he had told her, "I just don't like em. They make me uncomfortable, now stop asking questions."

There were more important things going on at the moment, so he decided to stop thinking about that because it was stupid. "Wait a minute, have you never heard of snow before?"

She blankly stared up at her alien buddy in silence for a few moments, like she was trying to process what he just said. "Nope, I never have. Though is that what's called? It looks amazing!" he noticed a hint of excitement in her voice.

"How...How have you never heard about snow or seen it before? Wherever you lived before, there was never at least a tiny bit of snow or mention of it?" The alien asked his friend in confusion.

"I'm not exactly sure, I guess it just wasn't that important or maybe-"

He shushed her before she could finish that sentence, and then started to lead Cora to the ships main door. "Alright alright, we're in the middle of searching for Reboot. We'll talk about this whole snow thing later, okay?"

The two of them started to walk down the snowy path after leaving the ship, he tried his best to be careful with his steps. "Oh and a quick heads-up, don't step on any snow that isn't white. Especially yellow."

***

Reboot was walking through an area with sparks still flying out of him, aliens and other species were staring at him. None of them were attempting to do anything though, because like one of them had said that he managed to hear, "Eh that thing isn't our problem, so why bother?"

Though one alien creature had eventually decided to go up and talk to them, he had actually managed to hear most of the conversation. "Why are you going to that thing? It's malfunctioning!"

"I'm not sure if that's really a good idea, what if you end up getting hurt?"

"Oh calm down, there's nothing else to do in this dump and that thing looks really interesting."

She had thrown a small pebble at him so that she could get his attention, his neck and head had turned around like an owl's to look at her. "WhA-wHaT dO yO-YoU wANT? hAVE yOU sEEn aN iMPoSTer oF mE bY cHA-chANcE?"

"Oh no, I haven't...though I could keep a lookout for them if you want? And I have a question myself, what are you doing here? What's wrong with you?"

One of her friends then mumbled loud enough for her to hear her, "I don't think you just straight up ask that last question..."

"Whatever, anyway can you please answer the question? You seem quite interesting if I'm being honest."

"H-hAH nOtHING iS wr-wRONg wi-wITH mE, I-iM juST tr-tRYinG tO..." he didn't really finish that sentence, at least in English he didn't. Before he finished, he had just started saying things in gibberish.

One of the girl's friends then started to walk over to her and Reboot a bit cautiously, "Damn it, did you make it start malfunctioning even more? I think we should probably leave..."

"No, why don't we just stay here with it for a bit longer? I'm sure nothing bad is going to happen, so could you just calm down by chance?"

The girl then jinxed herself by saying that, as moments later Reboot stopped talking in gibberish and started to approach her. "Uh...what is it doing??"

Reboot had grabbed her by the shoulders and started to squeeze them, luckily not enough to hurt, though just to have a good grip. "Y-yOU sHo-sHOULd sTaRT flyING."

He proceeded to throw her up high into the air, though he ran off with more sparks before he could see what had happened. Though he had managed to hear them all freaking out, especially the one he had thrown.

***

Axel mumbled something to himself in annoyance, as his tail hit a wall next to him hard. "Where the heck are we going to find Reboot?! I don't think it should be that hard to find him."

He glanced behind him and noticed that Cora wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying, and instead was looking at something else. "Cora, no. You can't pet my tail."

"It's really fluffy though, and also I actually heard a noise coming from that direction maybe we should check that out? It could be him?" she pointed in the direction.

The two of them reached what seemed to be a lake that was now frozen and covered in ice. Cora tapped his shoulder and then asked, "Do you see that?"

He looked around after that and then finally spotted what she was talking about, Reboot was standing there and looking down at the ice. Is he going to do what I think? This might end badly...

Axel started to walk over to him, though Cora was having a harder time as she kept tripping in the snow and almost falling over onto the ice. "Reboot don't you dare do that, if you do then the ice is gonna-"

He let out a small glitchy laugh, which seemed to cause more sparks to fly out. He walked onto the frozen lake while his two friends kept coming towards him, "o-oH yoU nE-nEEd tO cAlM d-dOWn, n-nOTHiNG w-W-wiLL..."

It was all very faint when the three first heard it, though they knew what was going on. Reboot looked down and noticed that everything was starting to crack and break away. "oH nO..."

January 17, 2021 08:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

197 comments

Raquel Rodriguez
23:22 Jan 23, 2021

Oh my gosh, Bee! I haven't been on here for while, and when I looked at the leaderboard, everything changed! What the frick happened?

Reply

B. W.
03:08 Jan 24, 2021

Hm? What do ya mean?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:07 Feb 02, 2021

Everything is different on the leaderboard :/

Reply

B. W.
21:39 Feb 02, 2021

Eh, its been like that for a while now, I barely notice anything with the leaderboard anymore.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:52 Feb 03, 2021

Oh, alright. That makes sense... but it was a huge shock to me. Also, I heard Zilla's leaving Reedsy, is that true?

Reply

B. W.
20:22 Feb 03, 2021

Huh?? I haven't heard anything about that until now, maybe someone should go talk to her or something?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Loved the 2nd part of this story! Great job B! :)

Reply

B. W.
22:32 Jan 18, 2021

Thanks ^^ did ya have a favorite part?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
00:13 Jan 18, 2021

I loved it, B!!!! You showed a lot more improvement in showing, not telling. And I cracked up when I saw how you typed Reboot's voice. XD Is it bad I also laughed when the girl got thrown into the air? ehheehhehehehe -Meg

Reply

B. W.
00:26 Jan 18, 2021

Not really, I kind of wanted the part where Reboot throws the girl up into the air to be a bit funny, so I'm glad ya thought it was and that ya liked the story ^^ Did you maybe have a favorite part and whats something you'd wanna see in the next part?

Reply

Megan Sutherland
00:53 Jan 18, 2021

Hm. I'd wanna see him get fixed, honestly. The throwing the girl in the air was my favorite part XD

Reply

B. W.
03:03 Jan 18, 2021

Anything else you wanna see happen?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
19:27 Mar 16, 2021

Okay. Start of a new thread. This seemed like a good spot. Btw, I still want to know what happened after the ice-covered lake shattered. Did Reboot fall into it? Or did Axel and Cora save him in time? Haven't done any writing today. I really should be taking care of real-world stuff and then writing as a reward. Unfortunately, like my mother, I can be very good at procrastinating.

Reply

B. W.
20:05 Mar 16, 2021

I guess I could tell you this. He *did* end up falling into it, though he won't end up breaking more, even though he's not waterproof or anything, he's already very broken. I won't say what exactly happens either, but there is something I'm planning to do with him and Cora in the next part.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:29 Mar 16, 2021

Probably lots of hisses and sparks (and complaints from Reboot). Btw, I'm going to away from the website for about 30-45 minutes. I have to go to the local Staples store and get three documents printed (my printer here at home doesn't work and can't afford to replace it). And then get something for dinner (probably from Little Caesars). And then I still have to get the car's annual inspection and annual emissions test done (which I have to get an appointment for; I can't just go to a local gas station and get them done). After that, I'm...

Reply

B. W.
21:16 Mar 16, 2021

A while ago, when there was a prompt for a water god/spirit, I had this little idea that for some reason a few water spirits would spot Reboot and end up saving him. Though I thought it would be a little strange and stuff, so I never went with that idea and any of the other strange things.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:53 Mar 16, 2021

I remember that one. It was from last week's list of prompts. I thought I could add a fourth story to the series that started with "Submarine Academy", but I don't think I did much with it. I'm not sure if Reboot would be happy being rescued by nixies (water fairies), pookas, selkies, mermaids, and the like. "We're trying to help you, metallic man," a mermaid might say. "You keep your hands off of me," Reboot might reply. "Then you'd rather sink into this lake and rust away into nothing?" she might ask. "I can save myself," he might ...

Reply

B. W.
23:17 Mar 16, 2021

Oh wait, if your having trouble doing scenes and stuff for my novel, why don't we just go back to doing Axel/Reboot/Cora things for it? Those still seem to be easier for you, and I think I do have a few new ideas.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
21:31 Feb 09, 2021

Despite all my comments, I really liked this story. Thank you for writing it. It made Reboot a lot more interesting than before. Almost like the runaway robot in one of Isaac Asimov's robot stories. Except in Asimov's story, the robot didn't step onto a frozen lake. Okay. You have your cliffhanger ... or lakehanger, in this case. I definitely want to know what happened next. Have you written it, I hope? In which case, I will go and read it after posting this response. If you haven't, *please* write it? Here are the editing comment...

Reply

B. W.
03:42 Feb 10, 2021

Well I'm glad that you at least liked it ^^ I appreciate all the stuff you just showed me that I should fix/edit and all that, but the problem is that i cant, at least not anymore. The prompt that I used for this one and just the weeks prompts have already passed so I cant edit it anymore, though I would if I could. I haven't made a part three just yet though, and I do have some ideas for it, I'm just waiting for a good prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:44 Jan 31, 2021

Your writing has shown a lot of improvement! This was amazing, and it has been really hard for me to find grammar/spelling mistakes lately. ^^ Keep writing! -Brooke

Reply

B. W.
16:24 Jan 31, 2021

Thanks so much ^^ did you maybe have a favorite part or character with this one?

Reply

16:29 Jan 31, 2021

You're welcome! :D My favorite part would have to be the end when Reboot 4000 says "oH nO". My favorite character is definitely Cora. :)

Reply

B. W.
21:25 Jan 31, 2021

Do you maybe have a least favorite?

Reply

00:03 Feb 01, 2021

I don't mean to be rude, but yes. That was when you wrote about the one guy in the market hearing Axel and Cora talk. It was kind of confusing; just kind of hard to follow. I'm sorry if I'm being rude! :(

Reply

B. W.
06:17 Feb 01, 2021

Eh? When it cut to Axel and Cora searching for Reboot at the end after he did his stuff, no one else was hearing them talk or was even near them? I hope I don't sound either, but at the end it was just Cora and Axel talking to each other and Cora said that she did HEAR a noise coming from nearby, which was Reboot near the frozen lake.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
14:38 Jan 25, 2021

We're doing the online game skribble at 3:30 EST for fun, if you want to join in. :)

Reply

B. W.
17:59 Jan 25, 2021

Who all is joining?

Reply

Maya -
18:02 Jan 25, 2021

I'm not sure yet, you can ask whoever you want to play if you want to join in, though.

Reply

B. W.
00:53 Jan 26, 2021

Is it just me or are there less people on here recently? Not that much people have been talking with me for the past few days.

Reply

Maya -
00:57 Jan 26, 2021

I didn't notice that. Maybe it was just a coincidence?

Reply

B. W.
00:58 Jan 26, 2021

Well alright, do ya maybe got any random questions or something?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:08 Jan 23, 2021

hi B!

Reply

B. W.
03:07 Jan 24, 2021

How have ya been lately?

Reply

Amaya .
03:22 Jan 24, 2021

good, normal really. more hopeful and happy than usual in light of recent events :)what about you?

Reply

B. W.
04:18 Jan 24, 2021

Eh I guess I'm fine, have you seen the new prompts?

Reply

Amaya .
05:09 Jan 24, 2021

yep, what do you think of them?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
10:14 Jan 23, 2021

WOOT!! loved the cliffhanger

Reply

B. W.
18:03 Jan 23, 2021

thanks ^^ what do ya think will happen in the next part?

Reply

Lucas Zhou
21:25 Jan 23, 2021

I think reboot is going to launch himself off the ice and destroy the ship/vehicle the alien and the humancame in lol

Reply

B. W.
22:57 Jan 23, 2021

Two aliens? Cora is a human, the only alien is Axel.

Reply

Lucas Zhou
01:28 Jan 25, 2021

woops! accidental soz

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
17:28 Jan 19, 2021

hi!! How are you?

Reply

B. W.
18:19 Jan 19, 2021

I'm fine, what about you?

Reply

✨Abby ✨
18:32 Jan 19, 2021

I'm ok. Wyd?

Reply

B. W.
21:35 Jan 19, 2021

Eh :/ I haven't been able to relax

Reply

✨Abby ✨
22:19 Jan 19, 2021

Oh that's not good. why not?

Reply

B. W.
22:38 Jan 19, 2021

A lot of reasons.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:39 Jan 19, 2021

Lmao, Reboot just threw threw the girl like nothing. I loved this story! I really loved it when Reboot started talking 😂

Reply

B. W.
05:18 Jan 19, 2021

I'm glad that ya liked it ^^ Did ya have a favorite part or was it the things with Reboot, and what do ya think will happen in the next part?

Reply

16:15 Jan 19, 2021

Yea my favorite part was when Reboot chucked the girl into the air, and I think they're gonna hunt down Reboot, maybe find a way to reboot him remotely.

Reply

B. W.
18:19 Jan 19, 2021

Wait, dont you remember what happened at the end of the part though?

Reply

19:28 Jan 19, 2021

I mean, I think they're going to get him from under the ice somehow, and try to fix him (like rebooting his systems or something)

Reply

B. W.
22:36 Jan 19, 2021

Anything else?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
00:17 Jan 19, 2021

Loved it~!~ My favorite part was definitely the beginning when Axel thought he lost Cora :D I'm glad they found Reboot! I still really think that adding the glitches into their voice with uppercase and lowercase letters was a nice idea :)~~

Reply

B. W.
02:22 Jan 19, 2021

Thanks, I'm glad that you liked all of that and the story ^^ I'm just really glad that i finally managed to get the second part out after a long time. What's something you wanna see in the next part of this?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
18:40 Jan 17, 2021

Yay, a sequel!!! This was such a fun read, it fits perfectly with part one. You showed Axel and Cora's alien personalities well, and the fact that Cora had never seen snow before made her reaction really cute. Reboot was once again such a funny character and the way you showed that he was malfunctioning was so creative. My favorite part was probably when Cora first saw the snow and when Reboot was talking to the new aliens. Omg, it ended on such a cliffhanger again!!! Awesome job!!! :D

Reply

B. W.
18:49 Jan 17, 2021

A small reminder, Cora is not an alien, she's a human. Axel is the only alien out of the three and Reboot is of course a robot. Though I'm really glad that you liked the story ^^ what do you think will happen in the next part?

Reply

Maya -
19:01 Jan 17, 2021

Oh, yeah, I should have said alien and human. I'm not sure, maybe in the next part, they will catch Reboot and try to fix him?

Reply

B. W.
21:10 Jan 17, 2021

Maybe, or maybe something else will happen in the next part :) You liked Cora's reaction to seeing snow?

Reply

Maya -
21:20 Jan 17, 2021

Yeah, it was really sweet and accurate to how a person who had never seen snow would act.

Reply

B. W.
00:21 Jan 18, 2021

What else did ya like?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:26 Jan 20, 2021

I’m doing a science-fiction themed reedsy-cast story and I would like to put you in it if you want. If you want to be in the story, there are just a few questions that I need you to answer. Questions: Alien’s Name (either your name or it could be different): Alien’s size: Alien’s color (can be any color or combination of colors): Alien’s special features (horns, tail, wings, tentacles, fur, scales, fins, etc.): Any other details about their physical appearance: Personality: Alien’s Planet of Origin (can be real or fictional): Any special ab...

Reply

B. W.
19:06 Jan 20, 2021

How is this? Alien name: B Alien size: She'd probably just be five feet Alien's color: She's mainly a dark purple though she does have parts of her that are white Aliens special features: She is kind of fluffy in a way so she'd have some fur, she has a tail that's quite long and still fluffy, she also does have some wings that she can hide but almost always keeps them out Other details of physical appearance: She's actually missing her left eye after something had happened a while ago, though she still manages to see a bit well even when fly...

Reply

Maya -
19:08 Jan 20, 2021

This is amazing!!!!! Thanks so much!!! :D

Reply

B. W.
21:09 Jan 20, 2021

Thanks and no prob ^^ when do ya think it'll be out?

Reply

Maya -
21:10 Jan 20, 2021

Probably next contest, depending on the prompts. I would like to do it sooner, but I'm kinda busy with school. :/

Reply

B. W.
21:12 Jan 20, 2021

Who all did you ask?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hiiii!

Reply

B. W.
19:18 Jan 18, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.