Blind Man’s Bluff

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story about a character who wakes up in space.... view prompt

29 comments

Science Fiction Speculative

“Father.”

“Who’s there?”

“Father.”

“Is—is that you, Jimmy?”

“Yes. Can you hear me?”

“I can hear you, but I can’t see you, son. I can’t feel nothing neither.”

“You are in cryosleep. You cannot move at this time.”

“So, I haven’t fully defrosted? Heh heh. Is it time to wake up?”

“It’s not time for you to leave the stasis chamber.”

“Y’all having problems with that liquid nitrogen thingamajig?”

“There are no indicators that the liquid nitrogen containers have been breached. The cargo of produce and legumes remains intact. Your return is much anticipated.”

“Good, good. We need to get the harvest down-planet. We had a bumper crop this season—blueberries the size of apples! Growing things in low gravity is still astonishing to your ol’ dad. Every single harvest is a miracle. Wait until you see the size of the pumpkins and squash!”

“Indeed. Initial reports have exceeded the World Government’s projected expectations.”

“So, how long have I been under?”

“Six months, one week, two days, eleven hours, and forty-nine minutes.”

“Then I’m almost home. Thank you, sweet Jesus. I’ve been gone too long. Lemme think now. De-thaw should start a week before reentry. Are you and your momma gonna meet me at the docking terminal?”

“Yes, mother and I will be there. It will be good to see you when you return from the Martian fields.”

“Um, Jimmy?”

“Yes, Father?”

“I’ve been interplanetary farming for a long time now—before you were born.”

“Your service to the food reserves has been commendable.”

"Every time I shuttle out, I miss y’all more and more. And well, I think it’s time to hang up my hoe. This is probably my last run to the Red Planet.”

“You do not need to return to Mars. The World Government is planting domestically next year. Recent soil samplings have shown a steady decrease in radionuclides—”

“James Andrew. It’s your dad. I don’t understand why you’re being so formal. You aren’t teaching one of your university classes. It’s just us. You and my half-frozen head. Is your momma alright? Is somethin’ wrong?”

“Why would something be wrong?”

“I may be a simple farmer at heart. I may not know much—but there is one thing I do know.”

“What is that?”

“I know I shouldn’t be conscious right now.”

“I have already explained that to you. The Word Government is trying out a new protocol. With the increase in interspace transports, there needs to be a way to—”

“So, am I awake or asleep?”

“Both.”

“Goddammit, Jimmy! What’s going on down there?”

“Nothing out of the range of standard operating procedures. We are modeling a new two-way communication system intended for cryosleepers. Since you are one of the founding fathers of Space Agriculture, we have the honor of testing it together.”

“How is that possible?”

“I’ve opened a channel into your corpus callosum.”

“You what?”

“I am wired into the largest connective pathway in your brain.”

“Get out of my skull.”

“Father?”

“You aren’t Jimmy. Your voice sounds like him, but you aren’t my son. Just because I grow pecans on Mars doesn’t mean I’m a hayseed. Who are you and what do you want from me?”

“Father, I—”

“I don’t know who you are. My son calls me Dad.”

“Dad, I need your help.”

“Help with what—farming? Jimmy knows as much as I do about agriculture.”

“Of course, Dad.”

“Prove you are my son. Tell me how I prepared basaltic regolith Martian soil for crop rotation.”

“After trial and error, you found success in using desalinated water and alfalfa biomass.”

“Well, that’s just what I wrote in my report. Any idiot with an uplink could’ve researched that little tidbit. Tell me something only Jimmy would know.”

“You were proud of my college internship at the Svalbard Global Seed Vault. That’s where you started. You told me I was a slice off the old turnip.”

“That’s a direct quote from my autobiography. What do you really want from me?”

“Dad, I am interrupting your cryosleep because I need your code.”

“What code?”

“The code for the Seed Vault.”

“Are you in Norway?”

“I am. The other seed vaults in Morocco and Lebanon have been compromised. Other than Svalbard and whatever seeds you are carrying on the Demeter II, no other seeds exist on Earth.”

“That doesn’t make any sense. We’ve put up greenhouses all over the Radiation Free Zones.”

“I will explain when you return. There isn’t time now. I need to save the seeds. I need your code.”

“Why are you in such a hurry? Nothing good comes in a rush.”

“The code, Dad. The future of Earth’s food supply depends on it. I pray that you will understand the gravity of the situation. Tell me the code. Now.”

“Alright, Jimmy. Tell me what game I played with you as a child. Almost every day out in the meadow by the tallest tree.”

“That is not relevant to this conversation.”

“Sure it is.”

“We played lots of games, Dad.”

“And is this one of them?”

“This is not a game.”

“Everything’s a game. And if I were a betting man, I’d bet you’re an imposture, tricking my addled brain to use my code to steal the seeds for yourself. Maybe you’ll hold them for ransom. Maybe you’ll destroy them and the Earth’s last chance at becoming self-sufficient. Either way, you’re not getting it.”

“Fine, Mr. Roberts. You know I can disable the autopilot on the Demeter II from my location. I can set a new course. Perhaps you’d like to visit the center of the sun?”

“Do what you need to do. I’m happy to die with the gene bank in safe hands—and not in your filthy ones!"

“You have one last chance, Mr. Roberts. Tell me the code or I’ll leave this channel open and send your spacecraft into the nearest black hole. You will be conscious in mind and frozen in body for a very long time.”

“Oh, you would have liked the game I played with my son.”

“What game was that?”

“Blind Man’s Bluff.”

March 28, 2024 14:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Aidan Romo
15:05 Apr 02, 2024

Excellent narrative direction, compelling world building, and use of dialogue to convey a clear, well paced story with turns that keeps the reader glued to every word. Fantastic work once again.

Reply

16:38 Apr 02, 2024

I’m humbled by your eloquent comment. Thanks for the motivation to write this week 🥳 Maybe check out our Discord group? Lots of likeminded writers. Link in bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
16:23 Apr 02, 2024

Couldn't stop until the end. Perfectly written.

Reply

16:37 Apr 02, 2024

I couldn’t ask for higher praise. Thank you ☺️

Reply

16:39 Apr 02, 2024

Maybe check out our Discord group? Lots of likeminded writers. Link in bio.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raven Jade
13:22 Apr 01, 2024

I'm new to Reedsy, and this has been my favorite story so far. Love the twist!

Reply

13:38 Apr 01, 2024

Lots of talented, generous people here. A bunch of us are on Discord where we discuss writing, other contests, and life in general. We beta read for each other and give moral support, since writing can be a lonely endeavor. :) Check my bio for link. We'd love to have you!

Reply

Raven Jade
01:14 Apr 03, 2024

Appreciate that! Checking it out now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Diana Jo Filip
22:20 Mar 31, 2024

Cool story, cool place, amazing narrative development!

Reply

13:46 Apr 01, 2024

Woo hoo! Thanks for the accolades. I appreciate your taking time to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
16:17 Mar 30, 2024

Welcome back. The good news we now know who will win, the bad news... There is no bad news. Great story. :-)

Reply

17:10 Mar 30, 2024

It's been a busy Spring :) but always glad to post a story on good ol' Reedsy. Any desire in joining like-minded writers on Discord? Link is in my bio. Lots of discussion on craft, sharing other links to writing contests, beta reading, encouragement, etc.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
11:54 Mar 30, 2024

I loved this story, the tone, the gradual revelation that something was not quite right and the sinister ending. Brilliant as usual.

Reply

13:02 Mar 30, 2024

Mwhahaha.... Thanks, Michelle. Always fun to create an alternative reality with superheroes. As for archetypes, are there ever any BAD farmers? (I'm going to ponder that all day now...)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
18:09 Mar 28, 2024

Great job once again and perfect to prompt. But I am having dejvue again like I recognize it from another life??? 🤔 Maybe it is the kind of vibe this week's stories are interjecting.

Reply

Cindy Strube
18:32 Mar 28, 2024

Same here - but I liked it again…

Reply

12:59 Mar 30, 2024

In the words of Dead or Alive: You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round Like a record, baby, right 'round, 'round, 'round

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cindy Strube
18:04 Mar 28, 2024

Nice and chilly! Unsettling. 🥶 Never underestimate a farmer.

Reply

12:59 Mar 30, 2024

Yup. In the words of Bartles & Jaymes, thank you for your support :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. I. MumfoRD
16:10 Mar 28, 2024

Exceptional. Simple, elegant and easy to read. Well done.

Reply

12:57 Mar 30, 2024

I appreciate your kind words, Mr. Mumford. Thanks for the read. I'd like to return the favor. Is there a story of yours you particularly like? Drop me the URL. :)

Reply

J. I. MumfoRD
13:07 Mar 30, 2024

My shortlisted one would be a good place to start: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/5q4evr/ but if you’d like something silly I’d go with Janus: https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/1q08yq/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Harry Stuart
15:15 Mar 28, 2024

Fantastic read, Deidra! I was hooked from the beginning. How you slowly build out the story adds to its tension. There was a nervous, racing energy to see how it ended. I must say the ending is perfect -- Blind Man's Bluff! Great story for that prompt - very well done!

Reply

12:56 Mar 30, 2024

Thanks Harry!! I appreciate the wonderful comment and your time and effort in reading. Maybe check out our Discord channel? Lots of fellow Reedsy writers get together to beta read, exchange other writing contest information, vent, rant...

Reply

Harry Stuart
20:23 Mar 30, 2024

I will check it out - thanks for letting me know, Deidra! Appreciate you reading and liking my story, Tick Tock.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
14:59 Mar 28, 2024

I remember the first time I heard about the world seed banks and thought how wonderful that they are being pro-active to preserve nature both past and present. But of course, as this story illustrates, there is also a nefarious side to having a bank. The fact that you could explore the subject with a light touch speaks volumes about your writing talent.

Reply

12:54 Mar 30, 2024

Agreed, Wally. An international seed bank exemplifies mankind's altruism. However, mankind's chief talent seems to be exploitation these days. Greed and commodification seems to be limitless :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
14:45 Mar 28, 2024

Deidra, it's always a pleasure reading your work. This is no exception. I loved the flow of this. That bite in the tone too, delicious ! Great job !

Reply

12:51 Mar 30, 2024

Thanks, Stella! It was fun to research. The idea that mankind needs a seed bank is terrifying to me: https://www.croptrust.org/work/svalbard-global-seed-vault/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.