Zombie Break Out

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story that features zombies.... view prompt

387 comments

Science Fiction Adventure Fantasy

You aren't ready for it. Nevertheless, you have to do it. Holding the hands of a girl and running away from something, you can't really distinguish.

You have no clue about your father, as he ran away before you were born. Your mother is nowhere to be seen and the only human with you is the girl, Layla.

"How are we going to escape?" she asks you and you shoot a look at her.

You are clueless about what is happening. She is a lean, bold woman, with striking blue eyes that seem to stare into your soul. You are expecting someone to aim the rifle and shoot right at the ugly guys who were chasing you and the girl. But, that doesn't happen.

Suddenly, both of you fall into something. Blood starts trickling out of her little fingers.

Surprisingly, there is a bandage before you. You give it to her and see a dark, cave like structure. You proceed into it.

And what you discover is even more surprising. A portal!

Anywhere away from these ugly creatures is okay for you.

You grab her hand and make a run for it, while she stres in awe.

And what a discovery you make! A whole cluster of weapons!

Now, you are the man with the rifle. You grab some pistols and place them into your pocket. Then you put on the bulletproof jacket and take a rifle in your hands. You walk out of the portal triumphantly.

She picks up a pistol and walks out of it. You have a feel that you could kill them all.

"What are we going to do now?" she asks you.

"Kill- them- all," you pronounce.

"Okay," she says.

"We shoot them all and take shelter somewhere," you say and try to climb the pit. The creatures watch you from above.

There would be something to climb this up as well.

You see a springy thing besides your leg. "Only once" is written on it with dark, bold letters. You jump on it and land before the ugly guys.

She comes up in the same way.

Come on, creatures.Β 

You load your gun and push the trigger. Simply, nothing comes out.

"Did you load the bullets?" she calls.

Then you realise that you didn't have any bullets and give her a slight grin. She had only six bullets for the pistol. You don't risk your life in that pit.

What if it's only for a single use?

So, you stand beside her waiting for your doom. You are too tired to run.

The world is in a diminished form. No building is standing upright. Everything is in ruins. A meteorite and a bomb at the same time did this to your world.

You didn't expect this apocalypse to happen.

Β You are disappointed with yourself for your carelessness.

The creatures approach you andΒ Layla. You want to die peacefully. So, you sit down with your hands on your head and shut your eyes.

The creatures stop suddenly.

A cool breeze runs over you. You turn back and see a large plate over your shoulders. The large plate lands on the ground and some weird guys with antennas come out of it. They are red and their eyes bulge out of their heads. Ultimately, a man gets down from the plate like thing.

You are relieved when you see a man. Layla heaves a sigh of relief too.

The man comes near you and whispers, "These are the stupidest aliens in the galaxy known as Xythes. They are easy to tackle. Please follow my orders."

"Yeah, sure," you say.

Β At least someone to help.

One of the aliens says, "Boss, this planet is very hot. The oxygen level is also low. Only one percent of water is remaining in this planet."

Boss alien replies, "Anything better than our planet is okay."

"Okay, boss."

Boss alien says, pointing at the ugly creatures, "I think they are also trying to rule this planet. We should kill them all."

The creatures leave out cries in response and approach the aliens while Layla and you follow the man onto the plate silently. The aliens take out their sophisticated weapons and start shooting the creatures.

"Do you know what they really are?" Layla asks the man, pointing the ugly creatures.

"Well, they are half dead creatures known as zombies. They crave for blood and if even a drop of their saliva touches you, you become one of them," he says.

"Ooooh, then that was close, Layla," you say.

He is an old man with white hair springing onto different sides. Although he looks old, he is fast enough.Β Β 

He embarks the spaceship and Boom! It starts with fire coming out of its engine, roasting the aliens. But they neither die nor realise their ship is stolen.

You make yourself comfortable in the spaceship and put on the seat belt.

"Okay, can you introduce yourself?" you ask him.

"Yeah, I forgot about it. I am a space wanderer and my name is Ronny," he says.

I have heard this name before.Β 

You start thinking about it when a meteoroid crashes the plate spaceship. Red lights cover the spaceship and it is totally out of control.

"Ronny," Layla calls, but he gives no answer and passes out.

"Do you know how to operate a spaceship?" you ask Layla.

"No. Why do you think I want Ronny's help?" she replies, panicking and goes to the control centre of the spaceship.

You pour some water on Ronny, but he doesn't wake up.

Layla pushes down all the buttons on the control centre and music starts playing with colourful lights.

Even aliens love parties!

Then the spaceship does a somersault. That is when you discover a planet nearby. The spaceship has a steering wheel. Layla and you try hard to turn the steering wheel and finally you turn it!

The planet looks rocky from outside and is yellow in colour. You have no choice but to land the spaceship on the planet. Ronny is also unconscious.

And suddenly, you remember him.

You leave the steering and go near Ronny.

"Father, please wake up," you say, patting his shoulders. A drop of tear touches his face from your eyes.

"Don't worry, my son. I am there for you," he says, patting your head.

"Yeah, you are alive," you exclaim with joy.

"Yeah, I am."

"Why did you run away?"

"Those stupid aliens kidnapped me."

"I think that is the reason you roasted them," Layla says.

"Let's talk about that afterwards. I think it's an engine failure. Someone has to go down and attach this thing to the engine," he says, showing you a pointy object.

"I will do it," you say and try to grab the object from him.

"Uh-huh. No way, I am doing it," he says and puts on the astronaut suit. He waves his hand and jumps into open space.

"Pull the steering when I say," your father shouts through the radio transmitter.

"Okay," Layla says.

After a while, Ronny shouts, "Nooooooow."

Layla pulls the steering towards the yellow planet.

The engine starts working! It's now much easier to pull the steering.

You, Layla and your father land on the planet safely. No, not safely. It is a crash landing. You run out of the plate spaceship and little did you know what was going to happen!

A bunch of the same type of red aliens is standing in front of you. Well, Xythes are cannibals.

They look hungry!










September 24, 2020 02:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

387 comments

Orenda .
08:18 Sep 24, 2020

Aaaah this was pretty cool! Combination of zombies and alienssss yeeeeee I'd suggest keeping a unique name for the aliens, you know. Just a suggestion as it'd add more uniqueness to it:) the ending was unexpected and for a first try, you've done really well :n

Reply

08:23 Sep 24, 2020

Yeeee... Yeah, will keep it now. Thanks for the suggestion. Thank you, Orenda. Thinking of a right name... (any title suggestions?)

Reply

Show 0 replies
08:25 Sep 24, 2020

How about Reddies or Alieye? (okay I am totally out of names. Please suggest something)

Reply

Orenda .
08:28 Sep 24, 2020

umm...sedly, i'm out of names too:(

Reply

08:29 Sep 24, 2020

Okay, if you get something, please say. I will think up a name too.

Reply

Orenda .
09:15 Sep 24, 2020

ye sure

Reply

09:16 Sep 24, 2020

How about rediots?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Hriday Saboo
15:15 Sep 25, 2020

The ending was quite dangerous. We need a second part of course

Reply

15:36 Sep 25, 2020

Yeah. I will write it when the prompt comes!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was sooo good! I just loved everything about it - the descriptions, the characters, great job! (PS, I love your new profile picture! Avengers, assemble!)

Reply

15:57 Sep 24, 2020

I am glad you loved my story. Thank you! You made my day! (PS, I am a hardcore Marvel fan. Glad you love it. Avengers, assemble)

Reply

Aww, no problem!! (PS, saaaame! Who's your favorite character?)

Reply

16:11 Sep 24, 2020

(PS, yea! Captain America, spiderman, thor, black panther. Actually everyone. Yours..)

Reply

Mine's either Quicksilver, Spiderman, Scarlet Witch, or Iron Man!

Reply

01:58 Sep 25, 2020

Great! Iron man died.😭😱

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Great story! I like how you incorporated both zombies and aliens

Reply

04:51 Oct 03, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
13:23 Sep 27, 2020

bruhh i googled 'do a barrel flip' and i swear, IT MESSED UP THE CONTENTS OF MY BRAIN!

Reply

13:32 Sep 27, 2020

Yeah, its so wonderful. I loved it the first time I saw it. Enjoy! 🀣🀣

Reply

Orenda .
13:37 Sep 27, 2020

yasss

Reply

13:39 Sep 27, 2020

He he I know another fact about google. Do you want it?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Reply

Orenda .
13:39 Sep 27, 2020

ye shoot!

Reply

13:46 Sep 27, 2020

241543903 Type this number in google and you will see men with head in freezers🀣🀣🀣 (seriously though, lol)

Reply

Show 2 replies
13:49 Sep 27, 2020

I got a pun. What do you call an alligator in a vest? Investigator

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
17:31 Sep 25, 2020

Alas! CSK LOOOSSSSEEEEEE

Reply

00:11 Sep 26, 2020

Worst match ever!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
05:12 Sep 26, 2020

Yass

Reply

12:25 Sep 26, 2020

Is your story approved before the notification of 10 points?

Reply

Hriday Saboo
14:44 Sep 26, 2020

Meaning?

Reply

15:08 Sep 26, 2020

Dude, is your story visible for all?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
11:06 Sep 26, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
17:47 Sep 26, 2020

No I don’t think so

Reply

D. Shikha
18:29 Sep 26, 2020

What??

Reply

03:28 Sep 27, 2020

My story didn't get approved. πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯ πŸ’₯⚑πŸ’₯⚑πŸ’₯ πŸ’₯πŸ’£πŸ’₯πŸ’£πŸ’₯ πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯ πŸ’₯πŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ’₯ πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ’₯

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:55 Sep 27, 2020

☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ πŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„ πŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„ πŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„ πŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„β˜οΈβ˜οΈβ˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ β˜οΈπŸ˜πŸ˜„πŸ˜‚πŸ˜„β˜οΈ ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

Reply

D. Shikha
13:58 Sep 27, 2020

Summary: Lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Reply

13:59 Sep 27, 2020

He he

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
06:48 Sep 25, 2020

Yeah a pretty cool story. Liked the combo of zombies πŸ§Ÿβ€β™‚οΈ and aliens πŸ‘½. You could just take another cool or funky title for the story

Reply

06:51 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks!(please like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kirsten Pearl
17:44 Sep 26, 2020

This was really fast-paced maybe even more so because of the second-person pov. It really makes your heart beat faster! My critique: The story may need to be fleshed out a bit more near the end when he realizes it's his father. It seemed too sudden. Anyways, I'm new to Reedsy, so would you read my first story and give me a little feedback? Thanks!

Reply

17:56 Sep 26, 2020

Thank you so much! I will look to that in my next. (I love writing fast paced stories :) Sure thing! I have liked it now, so it remains in my library. But why didn't you like your own story?

Reply

Kirsten Pearl
17:58 Sep 26, 2020

Oh haha I will do that now. I definitely liked my own story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
15:14 Sep 25, 2020

Hey which is ur favourite avenger? Mine are hulk and thor

Reply

15:36 Sep 25, 2020

Mine are captain America, Spider-Man, Thor! And black panther!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
16:22 Sep 25, 2020

Cool

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
06:49 Sep 25, 2020

Upvote spree!?

Reply

06:51 Sep 25, 2020

Okay, dude. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:58 Sep 25, 2020

Done for your 4 stories! (if the downvoted is downvoting again, I will upvote the 5th one also. Or else you will be at a lose of points and I wont be able to help you)

Reply

Hriday Saboo
08:06 Sep 25, 2020

K thanks I will upvote u too

Reply

08:07 Sep 25, 2020

Welcome! Thank you!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
08:09 Sep 25, 2020

Never mind

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
D. Shikha
13:13 Sep 24, 2020

Ahh, I finally got to read it!! It was amazing!!! -The idea of having aliens and zombies together is very creative. And you nailed the second person POV. I don't think I found any POV related mistake. -Title ideas- 'Running from the Half-dead' or 'Xythes', I'm not good at naming stuff. -Well, I don't really have anything for critique, just that you still have about 1600+ words left, so maybe you could expand it. The plot is really nice so maybe stuff some more information in between. But I guess you're busy, doesn't matter, it is go...

Reply

13:18 Sep 24, 2020

Thanks! -Thank you. You made my day. -Thank you for the suggestions. -Glad to hear that. I will try to. As you said I am busy. You too. Stay healthy. 😁

Reply

D. Shikha
16:01 Sep 24, 2020

Welcome for all the 'thanks'!!!😊

Reply

16:11 Sep 24, 2020

😁😁😁

Reply

D. Shikha
16:14 Sep 24, 2020

πŸ˜†πŸ˜„πŸ˜€πŸ˜ƒπŸ™‚πŸ˜…πŸ˜πŸ˜‚

Reply

16:15 Sep 24, 2020

πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­ πŸ’­πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ’­ πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸŽ©πŸ˜„πŸŽ©πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„πŸŒΉπŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸŒΉπŸ˜„ πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸŒΉπŸ˜„πŸ˜„ πŸ’­πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ’­ πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­πŸ’­

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:24 Sep 25, 2020

πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜˜ πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œ πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜˜ πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ’œπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜ πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ’œπŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜πŸ˜˜ Thank you so much!

Reply

D. Shikha
03:35 Sep 25, 2020

Awww....it's so cute!!! Thank you so much:))

Reply

03:53 Sep 25, 2020

Awwww.... thanks!!! Welcome, sis!( but I didnt actually do that. It was a ready made patternπŸ˜œπŸ˜πŸ˜†πŸ˜Œ)

Reply

D. Shikha
07:28 Sep 25, 2020

I thought so, but it was nice. Where did you get it from??

Reply

07:39 Sep 25, 2020

From ginger keyboard, there's an option called patterns.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:41 Sep 25, 2020

What do you think I will put the genre for the story?

Reply

D. Shikha
07:29 Sep 25, 2020

Sci-fi, Adventure.

Reply

07:38 Sep 25, 2020

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:32 Oct 09, 2020

I wrote my new story, just for you. Please read it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Aisha H.
20:11 Nov 10, 2020

I love the story! It was super cool, adding Aliens and Zombies together!

Reply

02:37 Nov 12, 2020

Glad you love it! Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:35 Nov 07, 2020

hey, could ya maybe help me with something?

Reply

05:50 Nov 08, 2020

Yeah, what do you want! I am always free.

Reply

B. W.
05:55 Nov 08, 2020

Well, its kind of with one of my novels. and I was also wondering if you could maybe check out my new story and leave some feedback? It's called "Otherworldly Repairs"

Reply

07:03 Nov 08, 2020

I will check out before today! Ask if you want some help!

Reply

B. W.
07:04 Nov 08, 2020

alright thanks, im excited to see what ya think ^^ well for my novels I need some help with a few things, not the regular story.

Reply

10:03 Nov 08, 2020

I'm excited to read your stories too! Imma also started my novel. I will help you.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zainab Shahid
15:14 Oct 08, 2020

I loved the way you wrote it. I was hooked from the start to the end. The ending was spine-chilling and unexpected. I liked that spaceship has the party feature like the grandmaster's spaceship. Keep writing :) and stay safe

Reply

15:29 Oct 08, 2020

Glad you loved the way I wrote! Yeah, I like that grandmaster’s spaceship, it has everything. Thank you for reading and stay safe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Leasure
00:29 Oct 08, 2020

This is a really interesting style of story! It feels like I'm playing a video game or a part of a "choose your own adventure" story. Very cool! If you do write a part 2, I look forward to reading it!

Reply

02:05 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you for reading! I will write when the prompts are flexible!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:43 Oct 07, 2020

Never read a story like this in second-person. Really cool.

Reply

02:04 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
21:10 Oct 07, 2020

Hi Keerththan, Good job! I liked the plot twist! I like that your story is fast-paced, but I do think you could a few more explanations. The scene changes feel a little abrupt. Overall, creative take on the prompt! You should write a part 2. :)

Reply

02:04 Oct 08, 2020

Hi Glad you liked my story! I am trying to add it but I couldn't add it anymore. And this was my first take in 2nd pov. Thank you for reading. I will write when the prompt comes :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:47 Oct 07, 2020

It's action-packed for sure. Portals, caves, crashes, aliens, zombies, space travel. Something for everyone in this one.

Reply

02:02 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Prachi Kumbhare
19:15 Oct 07, 2020

Woah!! Loved the Zom-ien combo... 🀩 The story was thrilling and fun to read. Keep up the good work!! ☺❀🀘🏻

Reply

02:00 Oct 08, 2020

Glad you loved it! Thank you for reading(would you mind liking my story if you haven't? Thanks)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.