The Champions: part 5 (finally)

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Start your story with the line, “That’s the thing about this city…”... view prompt

143 comments

Adventure Contemporary Fantasy

That’s the thing about the city at night--you never know what monsters are lurking--and not humans ones.

Real monsters.

Isaac dashed to the door of the burning building. It was blocked, purposefully. Someone had left up a barrier--a magic barrier. Whatever demon spawn had started this fire wanted the victims trapped. 

Wanted them dead.

But a crowd of people had gathered, some three hundred feet away--or further, Isaac couldn’t judge distances well, so some safe distance away--and most looked like they’d dressed for a fancy night out at the restaurant that was burning in front of him.

“They didn’t want any mortals hurt,” he said to Sia and Amethyst, who had followed him. Sapphire, B, and Adoree were further back, planning what to do next. 

“Mortals? Dude, we can die too,” Sia said. 

“I mean, Talentless people.”

“Like, Talent with a capital T? Because they must be good at something,” Amethyst mused. 

“Look, we need a way through the barrier. Half a ton of rubble, conveniently on fire, in front of the door, enchanted to stay there. What could possibly go wrong?”

“How do we know they didn’t escape? That they’re fine and outside, in the crowd?” Sia asked. 

“We have, what, three mind-readers here? Someone has to be able to find them.”

“Okay,” Amethyst said, pressing her hands against the hot stone of the restaurant wall. She closed her eyes and frowned. 

A few long moments passed.

“There are two of them in there. Their names are Emerald and Luna. They need to escape, badly, but all their exits are blocked off. Luna is barely conscious--smoke inhalation, I think? And she’s saying something I can’t understand. She’s so afraid that she’s going to die. Se wants Emerald to know that she only pretended to be better than her and that her pyrokinesis makes her feel like the enemy. She’s worried that if she dies, there won’t be enough Champions and countless innocents will be killed by the Pyline. And--oh my gosh--she’s fireproof, like a Pyline minion, and thinks that Emerald might die and it will be her fault, since she didn’t protect her. She’s so upset that someone named Franklin controlled her,and that he tricked Emerald in so many ways. The burn scars he gave her have faded off her skin, since she's immune to fire. And this Emerald girl is so afraid that she won’t be able to help anyone, since the flowers she was using to try to escape have all died and they’re hopeless--”

“I don’t need that much information, but thank you. Where are they?” Isaac interrupted. 

“Didn’t I already say that? The back kitchen. The floor of it, to be precise.” Amethyst smiled. “Man, a real rescue mission!”

“Hey, why are we trying to get in through the door? We’re magical! Isaac, use your earth power to move a tunnel under here--or move the wall? We should do it from the alley so we aren’t seen.” Sia barked out directions as they dashed around, trying to get in. They had less than a minute, Amethyst informed them, before the girls inside were close to death.

“B! Come over here! I need you to create a distraction. I heard you were good at shapeshifting. Can you do inanimate objects?”

“Yeah, just not for long.” The girl fidgeted with her robotic fingers. And this is gonna be in or on it, until I turn human.”

“Do a fire truck.”

“Okay!” she ran down the street and ducked around a corner. The fire department still hadn't arrived yet. What was wrong?

A loud siren broke the darkness, flashing lights filling the streets. A man in the crowd cheered--the restaurant owner. The crowd was hundreds of feet from the burning building, but Isaac still saw the relieved looks on their faces. 

Until the fire truck barreled down the road and hit the fire hydrant, sending a spurt of water up in the air, none of it reaching the restaurant whatsoever.

The people all shook their heads. Help obviously wasn’t coming. Or, helpful help.

But Adoree and B had been planning this. 

The graceful girl leapt from the tree she was hiding in, slamming her hands down on the stream of water. It began to freeze below her, the ice stopping the spray.

People watched in wonder as a teenage girl froze water below her hands, the liquid turning solid as she concentrated on the flow. 

But soon the water had frozen into an elegant ice sculpture, and wasn’t nearly useful for anything except damaging the pipe below the hydrant. 

But Sapphire smashed her way through the ice, sending a million shards into the air. They hit the ground, doing nothing.

The crowd let out a gasp.

With a wave of her hand, Sapphire created a bubble of darkness around them, preventing them from seeing the magic at hand. “Sorry I didn’t do that already.” She nodded at the bubble, which they could see through, the people inside protected from the danger and the magic. They slowly fell asleep, slumping on the road like it was a soft bed. 

“Now what?” Sia asked. 

“Now you come over here! I’ve moved a bit of wall!” Isaac shouted to them. “We should be able to fit! But there is some fire on the way.” 

The shards of ice, left on the ground after Adoree’s magic, began to float into the air, breaking through the warped window and melting into water, putting out some of the fire. There was now a path through the restaurant. 

The group stood outside the crack, looking at each other.

They nodded.

And they entered.

“Luna...what is it?” I begged her. The heat from the chains was stinging my skin, and I knew that it wouldn’t be long before it burned me. 

“I...I’m…”

“You’re what?”

“I’m...fireproof.”

“What?”

“Emerald, I’m fireproof, smokeproof, lavaproof--anything related to fire, it can’t hurt me. But...if one Champion dies--that’s you in this case--then the rest will start to lose their powers and fade away.”

“But...Celeste and Maya were Champions!”

“It takes a while. Have you noticed that Maya doesn’t use her magic anymore?”

“Huh, I’m about to die, I don’t think it’s on my mind.”

“It weakens. They weaken. You know why they’re on the Homeworld? Because magic is easier to use there.”

“I don’t find it harder on Earth!”

“Well, I’m sorry you haven’t been spying attention. But...The Pyline has killed off half the Talented people--there were whole cities and villages--all gone now. Then they thought Maya and Celeste and their friends were the Champions...and now us. It takes years for Champions to be born--well, not years, but almost everyone with Talents has manifested them already. You become a Champion when they manifest, you know. If you die... or if we somehow survive this but someone else dies...Well, it’ll be a while before there can be anyone to take our places. And… I don’t think we have much longer to wait. Wait any longer and...How long will it be before we’re all dead?”

“I don’t know,” I said. “Let’s hope we can get out, then. Or that someone wills save us.”

“Are you kidding me? No one's saving me.” 

I would have said something witty if the world hadn't started to spin and blur....

Isaac went in first, looking at the inferno around him. Only the water from the melted ice protected the path he walked along. All around him were flaming tables, chairs, and menus, but thankfully, no people. 

He looked at the wall of pure fire in front of him.

That was the entrance to the kitchen.

Isaac swallowed, looking at it.

“They’re alive,” Amethyst confirmed. “Just... not doing so well. Oh no...I don’t think that’s gonna heal well.”

“Great,” Isaac said. “I’m going in.” 

He reached for the wall of fire. 

“Isaac, don’t!” B shouted. “You are not making the same mistake I made!”

He pressed his hands against the burning rubble, pushing it out of the way with all his strength. 

He turned to them and smirked.

“Glad I packed fireproof gloves.”

He stepped into the kitchen drawing his stone blades. He turned around, the glare of the fire reflecting in his eyes. 

There! Two people--girls a little younger than him--lay on the floor, unconscious and held with glowing chains. They weren’t made out of molten metal, but a strange material that was hot but not on fire. Either way, they’d be dead soon.

Isaac swung his stone sword, slashing through the chains. The redhead one in the torn, stylish blue dress didn’t make a sound, but the blond one in the ragged clothing gasped as she fell to the floor. 

Isaac wasn’t sure what to do, but Amethyst and B raced into the burning room, Amethyst holding a long pole as a weapon and B screaming about the fire department finally arriving. 

Isaac picked up the blond girl carefully, dashing out as Amethyst picked up the redhead and B screamed something about the ceiling caving in. 

“Run!” Sia and Adoree shouted, Sia peeling her shadow off the ground and using it to hold up the crumbling, flaming rubble that would crash down and block the only exit any second. Adoree grabbed her ice shards and threw them at the fire, trying to extinguish it so the rubble wouldn’t fall, burning, to the floor. 

Isaac and Amethyst ducked around Sia’s shadow, B running after them, shouting something about the other Champions.

They dodged the flaming tables, falling ceiling bits, and general danger, leaving the minefield of the restaurant--

“MINEFIEEEEEEELD! ISAAC, THERE’S A MINEFIELD!”

“WELL, WE AREN’T CROSSING!”

Memories of a game he used to play with his sister and her friends field his head. More and more came as they snuck away under the cover of Sapphire’s shadow-dome. 

“I’m a Champion. You’re what, the brother of one?”

“I’m Maya's brother. And Maya’s gonna change the world.” 

Memories exploded outwards as they dashed into the trees, through the park, and out of the woods, carrying their unconscious burdens as they ran back to the sea. They’d awaken them on the shore. 

“Isaac, I’m so proud of you!”

“Well, I am, too. You’re a Champion!”

“But you’re my brother. And you just got an important position! We’ll save the world together!”

Isaac numbly laid the blond girl on the sand, his mind spinning as a familiar face danced in front of his eyes. 

“Isaac, why are you going?”

“To tell Mom and Dad about my promotion.”

“They know!”

“Personally, I mean.”

“Isaaaac…”

“It’s alright, Maya. I’ll be back in two days. Two days? That good? You’re thirteen now, you can be without your brother for two days.”

“Okay, but... I want you here.” 

“I’ll be back soon, I promise.”

“...Stay safe.”

In the end...it was his fault Maya was dead. 

He’d abandoned her.

And he knew there was nothing he could do, but…

Maya…

I woke up lying on the sand. The sky was dark black, and my eyes stung with smoke. My arms and legs were covered in burns, and I felt groggy and weird. 

Also, a boy was staring at my face, his brown eyes and brown hair looking almost black as the moonlight shone around his head like a halo. His face was familiar, though…

“Maya?” I asked.

The boy looked shocked.

“How do you know her name?”

“She saved me about a month ago. The fire-cat was gonna kill me.”

“Maya…”the boy shook his head. “It must have been someone else.”

What he said next made my blood run cold. 

“Maya died two years ago.”

March 17, 2021 21:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

143 comments

15:45 Mar 23, 2021

I'm so confused about the new formsss pleasee helppppppppppp.

Reply

19:54 Mar 23, 2021

Ok! You haven't came up yet, so you'll need the second one?

Reply

22:26 Mar 23, 2021

omigod thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:21 Mar 19, 2021

SO good :)) I also summitted the form ;) heh heh...

Reply

16:11 Mar 19, 2021

You're the last person to get in! That is, until I kill someone.

Reply

16:49 Mar 19, 2021

yay! and lol

Reply

18:41 Mar 19, 2021

Oh and also I made a form kinda like yours for a story(I hope you don't mind) Could you fill it out if not its totally fine. :)) https://forms.gle/JySK8iu9htvmYWif9

Reply

19:20 Mar 19, 2021

Oh! Ok! I bet it's great

Reply

19:26 Mar 19, 2021

aww thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Upvotey Girl ✨
18:28 Mar 26, 2021

Dear hooman, Heylooooo! As the Downvoting Police, I’ve gotta ask: Have you been downvoting recently/would you like me to upvote you a lil? (There’s way too many kind people who refuse to be upvoting, but frrr, if you’ve been stripped of your well-earned points, YOU’D BETTER TELL ME MISSY) Love, Random Upvoting Girl Who’s Going Around Spamming This Message Even Tho I’m In School

Reply

18:41 Mar 26, 2021

I don't usually worry about my points. I don't have a lot anyway. But, here's some people you should help out: Blxxii B.W. Maya Emerson Tru Sorcerer Maraika M Akshaya Surtrave Isaac Aaron Jade Kingsley Varsha Vamal Luna Colon Several other people following me https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/priyamvada-deshmukh/ (I gave up spelling her name, here's her link, you figure it out) Lone wolf These are just people who have been seeming down lately, and Lone Wolf doesn't really care about her points, but if you can cheer them...

Reply

Upvotey Girl ✨
18:43 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you! Oh, haha, it’s just because I’ve already upvoted many people on my normal account, so it’s easy and fun to make a fresh account purely for upvoting. That way I have new stories to like, new people to follow, etc. :D

Reply

18:44 Mar 26, 2021

Oh. Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:12 Mar 17, 2021

I love the banter between everyone so much, lol

Reply

00:38 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey Em! Happy late birthday!!!! Sorrry, I didn't check reedsy yesturday.

Reply

20:23 Apr 11, 2021

That's ok! Thank you!!!!!

Reply

16:37 Apr 12, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:46 Apr 02, 2021

oml CLIFFHANGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :'( the action in this series is so good, GRATE JOB 🧀🧀🧀 oNtO pArT 6 ;) I loved thisssssss <33 ~ Amethyst

Reply

21:19 Apr 02, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

23:06 Apr 02, 2021

np! :]

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

new storyyyynew storyyyynew storyyyynew storyyyynew storyyyy

Reply

13:52 Mar 31, 2021

Nice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
19:37 Mar 30, 2021

I posted a new story can you take a look? Thanks!

Reply

22:10 Mar 30, 2021

Yes:)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vera Vuscoe
00:39 Mar 30, 2021

WILL THERE BE A PART 6??????? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LET THERE BE A PART 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Sorry I got a little excited and worked up there :> Also, HOW exactly do we get Beethoven's left ear? He doesn't have any stories or points... - Moon & Stars (Trying out a new nickname)

Reply

15:07 Mar 30, 2021

There will be! If you want to be in it fill out form 2. Comment on their comments.

Reply

Vera Vuscoe
18:03 Mar 30, 2021

Submitted! I also want to die at some point, or turn evil...you choose! Ok! - Starlight

Reply

22:10 Mar 30, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
19:33 Mar 27, 2021

That ENDING omg.

Reply

19:46 Mar 27, 2021

Really, it's like that??

Reply

Sunny 🌼
20:26 Mar 27, 2021

It's great!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:48 Mar 26, 2021

Wait...., Maya 'died' or did she really die, and it that an imposter acting like her? like..... arh, I am over imagining XD The! Story! Was! Terrific! And, so like, do I have to fill the forms again? (eH, i FORGOT EVERYTHING AND LOST THE SCREENSHOTS, i AM DOOMED)

Reply

11:11 Mar 26, 2021

Don't worry! I'll go looking for your stuff, it's in the old form! Yeah, you'd be... form 2! Yes, the Maya thing is a confusing one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
05:53 Mar 26, 2021

If there’s a form for villains, can I be one?

Reply

11:10 Mar 26, 2021

Well, I'm all out of room for heroes, but there's only one other villain, so I'lll find it!

Reply

<inactive> .
12:49 Mar 26, 2021

Ooh, ok! Thank you!

Reply

18:30 Mar 26, 2021

Here it is!

Reply

<inactive> .
19:02 Mar 26, 2021

?

Reply

12:56 Mar 27, 2021

Oops!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Em!!! Wow! Keep this series going<33 I just read all part 2-5 just today because I couldn't stop reading<333333 I adore this series! And I can't wait to know what happens next!

Reply

11:09 Mar 26, 2021

Okay! Yeah, I need people to fill out the forms, and this next one needs a content warning for this scene I'm thinking about... NEW PROMPTS! Hard to write creepy fantasy drama stories for flower prompts.

Reply

True, true, luckily the next prompts are up! Hopefully one of them fit your next story!

Reply

18:32 Mar 26, 2021

YES YES YES

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Meera Lakshmi
23:09 Mar 25, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Share this with 10 friends!

Reply

23:10 Mar 25, 2021

Ok! Already did, but I'll find ten more!

Reply

Meera Lakshmi
23:10 Mar 25, 2021

Haha ok!

Reply

11:07 Mar 26, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:15 Mar 24, 2021

OML I AM SO SORRY I HAVENT READ THIS :[ I'LL DO IT ASAP

Reply

21:18 Mar 24, 2021

This?

Reply

21:22 Mar 24, 2021

the series :< im reading part 2 rn im so sorry

Reply

21:24 Mar 24, 2021

Oh. It's ok!!!

Reply

21:25 Mar 24, 2021

:[ which form is which? Idk which one I have to fill out XD

Reply

21:36 Mar 24, 2021

The second one

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
06:36 Mar 23, 2021

NEWNEEDED NEWNEEDED NEWNEEDED NEWNEEDED

Reply

19:54 Mar 23, 2021

?

Reply

Sia S
03:47 Mar 24, 2021

NEW PART NEEDEDDDDD

Reply

16:29 Mar 24, 2021

Oh. Fill out form 2!

Reply

Sia S
01:05 Mar 25, 2021

Okay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Michael Hayes
19:41 Mar 22, 2021

Fabulous story, with great descriptions. Will there be a part 6?

Reply

20:36 Mar 22, 2021

Yes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:04 Mar 22, 2021

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH CLIFFHANGERRRRRRRRRRRRR XD DX But, WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW THIS IS AWESOME!!! Still, THE CLIFFHANGER IS KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEE XD

Reply

20:35 Mar 22, 2021

Here, fill this out! https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdEOSdw0KQnf9ia2vgHQ9MK9ZQuKEsSqM_PPizpqjmxK-4PbA/viewform I need to fix the forms and while I was at it I added new stuff

Reply

20:36 Mar 22, 2021

P.S: If a person who isn't fearless is reading this, please don't use the link, it is solely for her role in the story and, like, three others. EXISTING CHARACTERS, PEOPLE! Thanks :)

Reply

20:45 Mar 22, 2021

Okey dokey! :D

Reply

20:51 Mar 22, 2021

Done!

Reply

21:09 Mar 22, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
16:08 Mar 18, 2021

WHAT? WHATWHATWHATWHTWHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT OH MY LANTA OH MY LANTA OH MY LANTA OH MY LANTA THE CLIFFHANGER HOWWWWWW? OMGOMGOGMOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG EMERALD YOU ABSOLUTLEY KILLED IT! One thing I loved the most was your descriptions of smoke and the shadow domes! but HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THE CLIFFHANGER GIUSKRHGIUWKJGRIGJROG;WRIJGWRLKGJWRLKG.WJRGLWKRJGWRLKGLWRJLKGRJGWLRKJGLWLRKGJWRLKWRUIGLHWGIWRKGJWRGKWRJGWRKJLGWRHGLKJRWGRKJLRNWGKJRWNGLKWRJGNRWLK

Reply

20:30 Mar 18, 2021

Oof...

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:33 Mar 18, 2021

XD I like how short your response is

Reply

00:07 Mar 19, 2021

I live on those.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
21:42 Mar 20, 2021

ah.

Reply

11:29 Mar 22, 2021

Aha

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

BacKstORy? Butttttt omg that cliffhanger.... hHhhHHhHhHHhHhHh Greatest job!

Reply

20:30 Mar 18, 2021

This isn't a backstory-- and people are screaming over the cliffhanger so I'm afraid you'll have to wait a bit longer-- but don't worry It'll be done soon!

Reply

XDDD YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.