91 comments

Adventure Thriller Drama

Power.

Cunning.

Resourcefulness.

Those were the words that described my family’s life. My name is Jake Lawrenson, and my family is a part of FEAR. Now, you might be thinking “What does FEAR mean?” Well, it means “Federation of Arsonists.”

My parents and grandparents are all a part of this group. They go around the world, setting fires to buildings, in exchange for money.

FEAR also had a school, called SCAR, or “School of Arsonists.”

SCAR’s job was to train cadets in incendiarism, or as my father calls it, “The wonderful art of arson.” SCAR is located somewhere near the Bahamas. At least, that’s what I heard from eavesdropping on my parents.

SCAR’s exact location was only known to the highest members of FEAR. Such as my parents.

In fact, I’m supposed to go there one day. My parents don’t know this, but I’m not really into setting people’s property on fire. My real ambition is to become a writer! In my spare time, I used to hide in my bedroom and write my stories. It’s the same with my older brother, Conan. Except for the fact that I have many more stories than he does.

My mother isn’t too fond of stories. She calls them a waste of time. She’s not exactly the best mother, (as you may have gathered) but I love her anyway.

I have an entire cardboard box full of my finished and unfinished stories hidden in a loose floorboard under my bed. I plan on publishing my stories later on in life.

Hopefully, just hopefully, I can get expelled from SCAR. And then, I could be free. Free to do whatever I wanted to!

TEN YEARS LATER

Log Entry 43 - 9/20/35

Today is my last day at home. I’m supposed to go to SCAR tomorrow. Father hasn’t told me anything about how I’m supposed to get there. I still haven’t told them that I don’t want to go. I’m scared of what they might do to me. Yesterday proves how angry they could be. Conan finally told them that he’s quitting SCAR to become an author. They actually disowned him at the end of the huge argument.

I just went and huddled in my room, listening to songs on my phone. I could still hear their shouts even when the phone was on full volume. That argument is the reason why I wasn’t able to write my log entries yesterday. Maybe one day I’ll see him again.

-Jake

Log entry 44 - 9/24/35

Sorry about that delay in log entries. I wasn’t able to write them because all my luggage was in the cargo hold of the ship that is taking me to SCAR. I’m inside it right now. It’s late at night, probably 11:30. I am still holding onto my writing ambition. I haven’t written any more stories lately because I’m still on the ship. The other kids, or cadets as the crew members call them, aren’t interested in anything else other than arson. Most of them have family members who were in FEAR beforehand. Some are new to the whole thing.

I just stick to myself. Some of the cadets have formed their own “groups.” I’m not a part of any of them. So are some other people, most of whom are newcomers. I did make one friend though. His name is Kit Langley. I haven’t told him about my ambition as a writer yet. I’ll have to be sure that I can trust him.

Our sleeping quarters are okay. They’re nothing like home though. All they have is a bed, a circular window, a cabinet for my clothes, a measly bathroom, and a small desk. I secretly smuggled in some of my books. I hid them inside a small air vent on my wall. The crew members have already searched all the cadets’ rooms.

 I don’t think they found my stories. If they did, my stories would probably be ripped and burned to ashes, and I would be sent home. I’d rather face my parents than have all my years’ hard work ripped to shreds and destroyed. Okay, I’ve gotta go, I think I hear Captain Blueridge coming down for a late-night snack.

-Jake

Log entry 45 - 9/25/35

We finally reached SCAR today. It’s HUGE! It has a large cafeteria, a place outside to train, and I think I heard that all the rooms have jacuzzis! If I was ever interested in arson, I think I actually would’ve enjoyed staying here. But … I’m not interested, so this year at SCAR won’t be the best for me. Our first-class of the year starts tomorrow. I wonder what it will be. Other than that, nothing new or interesting has happened, besides Professor Fern punishing Desmond Hallow for brawling with a crew member because he didn’t give him his phone back. (Man, that kid has anger management issues!). Nearly the whole school was there to watch Desmond getting pummeled by a super-strong jet of water as a punishment. 

Hayden Powell swore that the crew member that Desmond fought with had a broken rib and a sprained ankle. I told her that it wasn’t possible that Soren, the crew member, had a sprain because most sprains happen from twisting your ankle. She replied, “Mind your own business unless you wanna get your own sprained ankle.” Geez, these kids are maniacs.

-Jake

Log entry 46 - 9/26/35

Today was stressful. Our first-class was “Setting Fires 101.” It was taken by Professor Armstrong, who gave us a big speech as soon as we entered the classroom. He said stuff about arson, money, and other things that I didn’t pay attention to. When he started the class he told us to start a fire with just a stick and some kindling. Ferdinand Montgomery asked him why we were learning this, and Armstrong told him that it was building character and stuff.

I think we were made to do it because they wanted us to know how to start a fire even with our bare hands and some scrap materials. At the end of the class, none of the cadets managed to light a fire. For that, all of us got detention. We had to swim 100 laps around the pool, and we could only wear this weird, heavy gray suit for the day. It was horrible. My back and arms were paining from the laps and I felt like I was a tree, rooted to a spot when I was wearing the gray suit.

I still haven’t told Kit about my ambition yet. But I think I will soon. He doesn’t seem too interested in SCAR.

-Jake

Log entry 47 - 9/27/35

I made some new friends today. It’s almost like a gang. I just told them that I was the son of Mathew Lawrenson and Kiara Lawrenson. My parents are Board Members of FEAR, so it was natural that the cadets would fawn all over me. The cadets who are a part of my gang are: Hayden Powell, Kit Langley, Desmond Hallow, and I experimented with them, just to see how much they liked me.

At lunch, I ordered Desmond Halow to give me his food, and he did! Of all people, Desmond Hallow! Wow!

I think I can take advantage of this. I wonder if they could help me get out of this school.

-Jake

Log entry 48 - 9/28/35

I did it. I tried to get expelled. I, Kit, and Hayden snuck into the Faculty Meeting Room. I obviously had to tell them about my ambition, but they took it nicely! Only Kit asked me why I couldn’t be in SCAR, and at the same time write my stories. I told him that my parents wouldn’t approve of it and that they disowned my older brother for wanting to pursue his writing career.

He looked stunned. Kit didn’t ask me any more questions about my ambition, and about my relatives. Maybe he thought that I was uncomfortable with the topic. I’m ready to talk about it though. I admit I’m not proud of my family’s decisions, but I’m always ready to discuss it.

Also, they had a condition for helping me. None of them could be accused of what we were about to do. They all wanted to be arsonists, and I couldn’t ask them to give up their wishes even if they were … unusual.

So, back to the topic. We snuck into the cafeteria at night and stole some unwanted food. After that, we got some spray paint that Desmond had snuck in. Then, we sneaked to the Faculty Meeting Room. The door was locked. But lucky for us, Hayden had an idea. She took a hairpin from her pocket and picked the lock.

Once we got inside, we took the food and slopped it EVERYWHERE. On the walls, on the table, everything. And, on top of that, I had made a homemade whoopee cushion out of some rubber and a rubber band. I kept it on Professor Armstrong’s seat (He deserved it for giving us that detention).

Then, Desmond took out the spray paints and gave one to each of us. We wrote stuff like, “Jake Lawrenson wuz here,” and “We all have scars from SCAR.” It was kind of awesome.

-Jake

Log entry 48 - 9/30/35

I hadn’t been able to write yesterday because I was locked inside a classroom. The faculty found out about our little expedition the day before. Luckily, Kit, Desmond, and Hayden didn’t get exposed. We were careful to leave no evidence that there was anyone involved except me.

One other HUGE thing. They will expel me. FINALLY! I will be rid of this horrible school. I will pursue my passion freely. There won’t be any pressure on me or any secrets to keep. I will find my brother. I will definitely find him. No matter what. I’m coming for you brother, I’m coming.

-Jake

August 10, 2020 16:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

91 comments

Akshat .
14:42 Aug 14, 2020

Attention! I have decided to make ANOTHER part of Ambitions! This time, it won’t be from Jake’s point of view. It will be his fathers

Reply

Amogh Kasat
03:04 Aug 15, 2020

That's a good idea

Reply

Akshat .
03:30 Aug 15, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:48 Aug 14, 2020

Yay!

Reply

Akshat .
15:20 Aug 14, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
13:49 Aug 15, 2020

YAYYYYY

Reply

Akshat .
16:38 Aug 15, 2020

😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 4 replies
Akshat .
03:15 Aug 11, 2020

Hey guys, so I kind of stretched the prompt here. Still hope you like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amogh Kasat
09:46 Aug 15, 2020

P.S read my latest story: The Secret Mission Meeting

Reply

Akshat .
10:28 Aug 15, 2020

Ok! I'll read it in a bit.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
17:24 Aug 20, 2020

Beautiful story! I liked the style of writing 😊

Reply

Akshat .
02:33 Aug 21, 2020

PS. As Akshat. Thanks! NO! PLEASE! C'MO-! He really, really is getting more, and more stronger.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
02:32 Aug 11, 2020

It's really amazing ! The log entries were really good.

Reply

Akshat .
03:07 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
03:44 Aug 11, 2020

Is there any part ahead as you have mentioned (Part 1?) . If there I excited to read it.

Reply

Akshat .
03:44 Aug 11, 2020

I'm thinking of it. I'll try and make another part if a future prompt is good enough!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
17:26 Aug 20, 2020

Can you please review my submissions? I'd love feedback!

Reply

Akshat .
02:34 Aug 21, 2020

I believe Akshat can review them once he breaks out of my control today.

Reply

Authoring Studio
06:29 Aug 21, 2020

I will certainly look forward to it, although I, as your loyal servant, will await your return.

Reply

Akshat .
06:31 Aug 21, 2020

Ok, I'm back

Reply

Authoring Studio
06:32 Aug 21, 2020

Whoaaaaa👏 Someone stronger than Voldemort

Reply

Akshat .
06:41 Aug 21, 2020

Thanks! Check out my new bio!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
13:49 Aug 15, 2020

This was SO great! I loved it and couldn't stop reading. I REALLY NEED PART 2!!! Seeing as you always give people ratings when you comment, I'll give you one: 4.9/5 Keep writing!

Reply

Akshat .
16:38 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks a lot Amany! I'm super happy with my score! 😁

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:05 Aug 15, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
18:43 Aug 14, 2020

Why do I feel like this will end badly? Like think about it, Jake will go home and his parents will be super mad and he wont be able to find his brother...maybe. Great story btw I really liked the concept.

Reply

Akshat .
03:29 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks a lot, Sarah! You'll all get to see what happens in the second part!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was so good, super creative! Nice work!

Reply

Akshat .
16:46 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you SO MUCH!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
23:07 Aug 10, 2020

I love the separate log entries in this story, and to see the growth Jake's character throughout the story. You also really captured Jake's voice quite well, making it very distinct. Also, I read your bio, and I too am a Harry Potter fan :) Keep up the amazing work!

Reply

Akshat .
03:06 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you SO MUCH!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
14:02 Aug 16, 2020

This was so great! Loved the unique take on the prompt!

Reply

Akshat .
14:06 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Doubra Akika
14:33 Aug 16, 2020

It was my pleasure! Would you mind checking out my recent story when you’re free?

Reply

Akshat .
14:34 Aug 16, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Doubra Akika
14:36 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Akshat .
14:40 Aug 16, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:38 Aug 14, 2020

I loved the unique take on the prompt and the journal entry formatting. Can't wait for the second part! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Akshat .
11:23 Aug 14, 2020

Thanks a lot, Deborah! I'm considering writing another part IF the next prompts are good enough. I'll surely read your story, look out for my comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
10:18 Aug 12, 2020

This was an amazingly written story. AWESOME!!! :) :)

Reply

Akshat .
10:40 Aug 12, 2020

Thanks a lot Pragya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:35 Aug 11, 2020

And the title fits Perfectly! I think that's the best part of the story. -S

Reply

Akshat .
05:38 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Sia S
05:41 Aug 11, 2020

:)

Reply

Akshat .
05:42 Aug 11, 2020

I'm also a part of VFD xD

Reply

Sia S
05:50 Aug 11, 2020

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
05:47 Aug 11, 2020

' In a world to often governed by corruption and arrogance it can be hard to stay true to one's philosophical and literary principles ' - Lemony Snicket

Reply

Akshat .
05:48 Aug 11, 2020

yup

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
05:33 Aug 11, 2020

Is this inspired from A Series Of Unfortunate Events? Because I'm pretty sure it is,references of arson and Dr. Montgomery! But nice story! Really looking forward to part 2 !!! -S

Reply

Akshat .
05:37 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, a bit of it is inspired by ASOUE. I'm considering a part 2 IF a prompt is good enough.

Reply

Sia S
05:40 Aug 11, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
12:32 Sep 24, 2020

I have an interesting idea for you. For a future prompt, write one of Jake's stories. If you can make it clear that it's Jake who's writing it but also not say it straight out, it'll be really cool.

Reply

Akshat .
13:45 Sep 24, 2020

Hmm, nice idea! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
18:50 Aug 17, 2020

I like the diary-style of writing. It really gives a better inside look into Jake’s life. Plus, I like the contrast of Jake’s sweet, innocent dream of becoming a writer versus his parents’ criminal goals for him. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Akshat .
02:33 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
16:51 Aug 16, 2020

Wow, this was super creative! Great job!

Reply

Akshat .
17:18 Aug 16, 2020

Thanks a lot Avery!

Reply

Avery G.
17:31 Aug 16, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Akshat .
17:46 Aug 16, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
17:51 Aug 28, 2020

Well done Akshat! I'm really impressed! Very descriptive, and I really took to Jake's character for him wanting to rebel from his family and the life set before him- readers love a rebel. You clearly have great talent. I'm going to read part 2 now!

Reply

Akshat .
18:09 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
18:33 Aug 21, 2020

Good work, sir! Have you thought about making both parts longer and creating a novel(la)?

Reply

Akshat .
03:26 Aug 22, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, I have considered it, and if a prompt is good enough, I'll write the third part!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.