36 comments

Crime Speculative

It is not that I hated the people of the city that I did what I did. Really, it was quite the contrary. I found them fascinating, from the inside of their intestines to their outsides. I found that the human body had it’s many limitations, but it was easy to work around them if you tried. 

The blood never really left from underneath my fingernails, and the smell lingered underneath the suffocating rose scent of my soap. It was as if I had something to hide, and perhaps, perhaps I did, for the people could never accept someone as eccentric as me. If they even had an inkling that you were doing something suspicious- it was ‘off with your head’ or so to speak. My own accomplice was burned at the stake, for they thought her a witch, with her tea bags and cat. They do not know where to look, and daresay, they look into the unordinary when the real witches are painfully ordinary, at least, on the outside. 

It was not either that I hated the city. I did not wish to see it fall, person by person. The population was well over its quota anyway, so I was, I am, merely doing my part in keeping the environment sustainable. 

Perhaps it was my childhood that played a large role in my actions. My upbringing was not pleasant and at the age of fifteen- when I decided to run away from home- I also had decided to never bring a child into this cruel world. So perhaps I made the unconscious decision to do the very opposite. 

London was never a very pleasant place to live. The rain would patter against your windows day after day, and as the horse carriages- and the few cars driven by those who could afford it- flew by on the streets, they’d splash you with the puddles that lined the streets like sprinkles. I made it a habit to wear shorter dresses, though it earned me a respective amount of stares, just to spare the wetness. My hat, and I only owned one, was much too big for my head. I did consider once, not wearing it, but I knew that though it was large and ill fitted, I would do better to try and fit in outwardly. 

The women of the city were disgusted by me, the children curious, and the men intrigued. I met someone once, his name something or the other, who told me my eyes sparkled like a mad man’s. I had laughed and thanked him for the compliment. Most call my appearance to be ‘disheveled’ or, blatantly, dirty. Just because my hair goes uncombed some nights or my clothes unwashed, they don't know the efforts that had to be made for me to leave any scene cleaner than when I came. 

Perhaps it was that it brought me a different kind of rush. The adrenaline was always coursing through my veins as the clicking of my heels disappeared into the night. The moon, ever so bright, watching my every move, and the crows- eight of them- watching me with their beady black eyes. 

*

My favorite article of clothing is my blood red gown, though I seldom have a fancy enough event to wear it to. However, that does not stop me. It conceals the blood quite well, I find, and it allows me to match a rose to it behind my ear. 

The blatant judgement in everyone’s faces is remarkable, as no one seems to have anything better to occupy themselves with. It’s a small world, and in their perspective, small enough to have to have all the news. The poor children in town ride around on their bicycles, in any weather, mainly rain, and pass them to the public for a penny a piece. I tend to stay away from their black and white photographs and ink stained pages. They do give me a headache. 

That is not to say I do not read. I am very much literate and enjoy a good classic, but I’d rather not meddle with the news. 

There are fairy tales that bounce around my head, but I’m never quick enough to capture my pen and get them on paper. I enjoy their company in my head and will speak them aloud to anyone who listens, however.

Adults seldom do, and just when I get the children engaged, their parents will pick them up sternly with gloved hands, steering them away from the crazy woman- that is, me. 

I do not mind. It is not their fault that they do not believe in the divine. Or perhaps it is, and they could do to make a little effort, but it is not entirely their fault. Some people simply lack the imagination and mind. I will admit that the stern ones do become my next ‘victim’ if you’d please to call it that. A woman once slapped her child on the wrist as she took him away, and I made certain to get rid of her quickly. I gave a small black rose to the child the next day. They are rare, but I plant a few in my cellar, and give them to the best of people. He cried, fat tears rolling down his chubby cheeks, and I did my best to comfort him. Of course, he did not know when he hugged me that I was the woman responsible. He did not need know. I made good use of her heart, and her eyeballs are preserved in a jar.

The eyes were always my trophies.

I had strong urge to take those of the man who said mine sparkled, but alas, I enjoyed his company too much. We spent a bit of time together, and one could argue we loved each other, but these things are never certain. I will not lie and say I did not care for him a great deal. His lips were always rough when he kissed me, and I think perhaps I was not who he thought I was, for when I tried to tell him who I was, I never heard of him again. He wrote me a letter, just one, and I keep it in my box of special things. 

Today I have a very special mission. I am to retrieve the body of the Queen. I am not scared, not really. I do fear things, but not my work. I pack my roses in my handbag- six of them- and wash my hands hard with my rose scented soap. The blood on my hands is both figurative and literal, and I welcome the scent into my nose. 

Today marks the Queen’s death day, as I am the rose witch, for better, or for worse.

March 14, 2021 19:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

36 comments

Kristin Neubauer
19:03 Mar 15, 2021

What a delicious character you've created in the Rose Witch. Strong descriptions - I particularly loved the line about her eyes sparkling like a madman. I don't know if you plan to develop her into another story, but I am particularly intrigued by her and would love to read more one day if the mood - and the prompt - strike. Your new bio (or at least new since the last time I read it) made me smile. Try all the food in the world? Right on!

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:21 Mar 16, 2021

Thank you so much! I had fun writing this story and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Perhaps, if the mood is right... :) I'm so glad! Yes! Too bad it's unplausible...I can still try!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keya M.
16:53 Mar 17, 2021

Hi Amany, hope ur doing well. Firstly, congratulations on 60 stories! I mean wow. 60 stories! Now onto this masterpiece! I loved all your descriptions and your excellent word choices. The last line was so powerful, and I really liked how you ended on an open door. Maybe we have a sequel in the making, *hint, hint* Really great work Amany, a pleasure to read your work as always. Would you mind taking a look at one of my stories and leaving some feedback? i'd really appreciate it.

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:27 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you! I know right?! I'm so glad you liked it! Haha, we'll see. Of course!

Reply

Keya M.
18:43 Mar 18, 2021

Thank you so much Amany! You're the best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
01:41 Mar 15, 2021

You cannot write stories this good. It is forbidden.

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:21 Mar 15, 2021

So many ways I thought to reply to this, but I'll just settle on THANKS SO MUCH YOU MADE ME SMILE SO HARD

Reply

Sia S
02:27 Mar 15, 2021

;))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
02:27 Mar 15, 2021

Btw, 6O STORIES OHMGGGGGG OHMIGOSHHHH YAYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
19:44 Mar 14, 2021

:O So first things first: HAPPY 60 STORIESSSS!!!!!!!!!!! Next: This plot is really well developed and the words you used to describe them were greeeeat. That last line was powerful and made you wonder a bit about what the main character does, and what she even IS XD I love this Amany, and this was a super good use of this prompt! (I, for one, could not think of anyyyyyy possible way to use this prompt, but you defied all things I had thought about this XD this was such a good idea!!!!!) ~ Amethyst

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:48 Mar 14, 2021

Thank youuu! Aw, thanks so much! Well, to put it frankly, she's...a murderer, and a 'witch'. Haha, thank you so much Amethyst, I'm really glad you liked it!

Reply

19:49 Mar 14, 2021

Np! :D :) yeah, the way you wrote it was very mYsTeRiOuS XD but it also got the vibe off clearly :) "The Rose Witch" is like the best title I have heard in a long time, ILOVEITTT

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Adiele Peter
01:42 Mar 22, 2021

Wow,nicely put out and so gripping, I didn't even blink till the end of the story .👏👏👏👏👏

Reply

Amany Sayed
01:54 Mar 22, 2021

Thanks for reading! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:44 Mar 18, 2021

Hey, have you checked the contest rules recently, like you gotta know that 1) your story must be between 1000 and 3000 words 2) your story must fit the prompt 3) you should not make me flabbergasted with such a terrifically awesome story! you've been breaking the third rule every week recently XD

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:28 Mar 18, 2021

Oh gosh, I was scared for a moment! Thanks, Tru!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Creed .
19:39 Mar 16, 2021

Did you fill my form? (if you did, it proves that I'm actually a detective.) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
Sia S
05:37 Mar 15, 2021

PART TWO OUT!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:05 Mar 15, 2021

Cool beans! I'll check it out asap!

Reply

Sia S
02:36 Mar 16, 2021

Cool beans? Wow. XD wonderfull ty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
19:38 Mar 14, 2021

Dedicated to 'the rose witch' https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/the-rose-witch/ Thanks for unknowingly sparking this story with just your pen name!

Reply

Maddy Writes
01:05 Mar 15, 2021

AWWWW thank you so so much you are so sweet and amazing at writing, I hope you win :) Also, I would love it if we could collab on a story together sometime, you truly have the knowledge and the skills :) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! -The rose witch 💖💖🌹

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:25 Mar 15, 2021

You're so welcome! Unlikely, but thank you :) Maybe! WELCOME Thanks for the idea!

Reply

Maddy Writes
02:29 Mar 15, 2021

Your "welcome" haha!

Reply

Maddy Writes
02:35 Mar 15, 2021

Oh! I had a quick question I was wondering if you wouldn't mind looking over my recent submission? I really would appreciate it very much!

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:41 Mar 15, 2021

Yeah sure!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Esha Mahmood
01:47 May 05, 2021

Wow. I find her character intriguing. And I love the setting.

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:08 Apr 08, 2021

I love the rose witch in all her beautiful evil.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kylie Rudolf
18:28 Mar 23, 2021

Your descriptions are so bold and your entry is so capturing, I especially love the title🤍

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
19:50 Mar 18, 2021

Heya

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
20:04 Mar 17, 2021

How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:02 Mar 15, 2021

CONGRATS ON 60 SUBMISSIONSSSSS!!! The plot was really the star in this one. I loved it! The incredible words you used also shared a bit of the spotlight. And that last line... That was powerful. Wow. Aughhh Idk what to sayyyyy I can't put how much I love this story into wordsss. I think my brain is malfunctioning.' The Minor Errors Police didn't have to stop by your house 👏🏾 Loved this. Great work :DDD

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:21 Mar 16, 2021

THANKSSSS Aw, thank you so much! I was proud of it :) Haha, that's a wonderful compliment actually. Whew! Thanks for reading!

Reply

10:49 Mar 16, 2021

Yw! :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.