the physics of magnetism

Submitted into Contest #91 in response to: Set your story in a library, after hours.... view prompt

72 comments

Fiction Romance

With a long-suffering sigh, Leila put her pencil down next to her open notebook, closed her eyes, and began the arduous process of massaging out the cramp at the base of her right thumb. Taking a moment to breathe, her mind, which was already exhausted from a day full of demanding lectures, struggled to catch up with all the material she’d written down for her upcoming project.  

The library was about to close. Luckily for her, working part time as an aide in the library did come with a few perks. She promised the on-duty librarian that she’d turn off all the remaining lights and lock up on her way out. He’d taken one long look at her desperate face and full to bursting bookbag and reluctantly agreed. 

Checking her watch and noticing the time, she realized her partner would be locked out if she didn’t arrive in the next 10 minutes. 

Where was Sam anyway? She’d texted her that morning with instructions to meet her at 6:00 in the private room along the east wall. Granted, she didn’t receive a text back, but that was hardly a surprise. 

Her partner in this endeavor was an effervescent young woman whose inherent intelligence in the sciences, while incredible, belied her curiously apathetic study habits. Sam could probably teach the professors a few things if she wasn’t so unorthodox in her approach to academic methods. 

Come to think of it, did she even have a cell phone?

Wait. Who did she text??

Scrambling for her cell phone, trying to ignore the knot of dread pooling in her stomach, she heard a tapping on the door before it slid open.

Oh. 

Oh no.

“By the look on your face, I’m guessing this isn’t a clandestine meeting between two old coworkers in the library after hours…”

Why. Why is this my life.

Leaning cool and casual against the door frame, arms folded across his chest, Sam stood grinning at her with genuine mirth and a hint of teasing in his eyes. 

THIS WAS THE WRONG SAM. 

“Well, if it was an attempt at a surreptitious rendezvous, you’d be late. I’m surprised they even let you in so near to closing,” I countered back at him while trying to regain my composure. 

“I simply mentioned your name and was whisked away to your private chambers here like royalty,” he winked, while walking through the entrance and closing the door behind him. He took a seat and leaned forward onto the table. 

Had it always been this confined in here? The small table and two chairs hardly seemed cramped when she had pictured the other Sam in his stead. 

But now, with him here, elbows on the table, bright eyes gently teasing, and lips curved up in a good-natured smirk, there was no longer any actual space to feign disinterest. How could she possibly control her own physical response to his proximity?

“On a scale of yes to no, how amenable might you be to just like…leaving and never mentioning this brief lapse of insanity that I’ve created for myself,” I asked him with a nervous laugh, not quite joking. 

“Ahh, but I’ve missed this banter,” he grinned. “I’m afraid the dial on your scale of possible outcomes is pointing to my favor.”

He took my pencil from its place beside me and spun it in a circle on the only available area on the table, mimicking the hands of a clock. It pointed somewhere to the left of me. He looked up, meeting my eyes with a sincere smile.

I couldn’t help but smile back at him. 

“So…whose seat am I currently stealing right now?” he enquired.

“My project partner, coincidentally also named Sam. I can’t believe I got the two of you mixed up in my phone. Honestly, I’m usually much more observant and competent when making plans for something as important as this. Sorry for the misunderstanding,” I trailed off, nervously tapping my fingers against my leg. 

“See, you say misunderstanding, but I’m choosing to hear kismet. Divine providence, a fated encounter, desti—”, I cut him off with a laugh and a playful smack to his arm.   

“Alright alright you can stay, no need to wax poetic. I have no need for your longwinded sarcasm this evening, but I would appreciate your assistance in helping me narrow down a topic for this assignment,” I say, flipping to a blank page in my notebook.

A sudden thought strikes me. 

“Oh, unless of course you actually have somewhere else to be. Sorry. I didn’t even think. Are you just passing by on your way to somewhere else?” God, how embarrassing. How much audacity do I even have today?

His eyebrows furrow at me like I’ve said something idiotic. I suppose I have. Which part?

“Leila will you please stop apologizing? My fragile masculinity can only survive so much of your unreasonable modesty without feeling the need to humble myself too. And I simply shan’t do it,” he says grandly, leaning back on the back two legs of the chair and recrossing his arms. The picture of unaffected cool.

His admittedly charming attempts at trying to put me at ease are unfairly provocative.

“Anyway,” he continues, “I just got off shift at the restaurant and came over. That’s why I’m late. You remember how it is there, it’s impractical to predict, with any reasonable degree of certainty, when you’ll actually get off. It’s wholly dependent on making sure your guests are completely satisfied once finished. Know what I mean?”

Um. What is it we’re talking about?

Oh, right. 

“That’s precisely why I quit, Sam. My course load this semester is an unmitigated disaster. I’m not as proficient at that work/study balancing act as you are,” I answer seriously, before remembering that I needed to parry his hinted innuendo with one of my own.   

“Although,” I continue casually, “I’ve always been able to ascertain whether my guests were…satisfied.”

I chance a look up at him in time to catch him swallowing hard. I’m certain we’re both wearing a matching pink tint high on our cheeks. He clears his throat and drops his eyes to my notebook after a moment of charged silence.

“Where’s your computer?” He asks, his expression changing to puzzlement.

“Oh. I don’t like to use one in the library. I can’t stand the clacking of keys when I’m trying to concentrate. It’s why I typically reserve these private rooms. Plus, who doesn’t love the feel of a hard pencil and the sense of fulfillment every time you turn a handwritten page full of ideas over?” I release a gentle sigh and look lovingly at my pencil, still pointing somewhere to the left of me, to complete the effect. 

“Now whose waxing poetic,” he jokes. “I didn’t realize I was so rudely interrupting a romantic tryst.”

I’ve missed this, his sense of humor and earnest charm. I wasn’t kidding when I told him I’d quit a few months back based on my course load. What I didn’t mention was that the devastating crush I had on him was driving me to distraction. Just like now.

“So,” I venture, “what do you know about physics?”

“Ahh,” he leans back in contemplation a moment, “physics. Literally ‘natural science’ or ‘natural things’ is the study of interactions of matter and energy, yeah? A way to try and grasp meaning from the universe. This is your major?”

“It is,” I reply with a beleaguered sigh. “And I’m working on narrowing down a topic for this group project. Do you know anything about magnetism? I’ve got some clever ideas, but I’d really like to talk them out before committing.”

He scrunches his nose in contemplation before answering. “Apart from playing with magnets as a child, the only knowledge I can bestow upon you is that I believe the word itself derives from ‘magnesia’, which was a province in ancient Greece. Something about lodestones. Hm. I need to consult some texts to be sure…”

“Oh, that’s right. You’re studying language and etymology! Thanks for the history lesson, but I meant more from a practical understanding of how they work,” I reply, trying not to swoon in response.

“Afraid that’s all I’ve got. Why don’t you tell me? What is magnetism? I’m certainly no stranger to it,” he declares as his overtones become more obvious.

“I’m sure you’re well acquainted. However, in physics, magnetism is like, the physical phenomena created from the force caused by magnets; objects that produce fields that repel or attract other like objects. A magnetic field exerts a force on the particles and it’s this motion of electrically charged particles that gives rise to magnetism.”

I look up at him to make sure he’s paying attention. That was a mistake. His eyes are boring directly into me. I clear my throat softly and continue.

“So, the force that’s acting on the electrically charged particle depends on several variables. The magnitude of the charge, its velocity, the strength of the magnetic field and so forth. All things experience magnetism to some degree, some more strongly than others…”

I trail off. I have to. He’s staring at me with something akin to hunger and it’s making me burn

The logical part of my mind that isn’t being consumed in a confusing spark of anticipation clicks the connecting pieces together.

This is what we’ve been doing for months now. Orbiting around each other, creating our own cyclone of electrically charged particles. What did I think would happen? 

It’s a matter of practicality, really. It was inevitable that the magnetic field we created while revolving around the other would increase our desire to surrender to the physical pull eventually. 

Somehow, acknowledging our reciprocal attraction simultaneously renders us both immediately shy in the face of it. 

I bite my bottom lip to stifle the smile that’s already making my cheeks ache and tuck my hair behind my ear. I’m unreasonably giddy and savoring the dizzying feeling of being pulled into Sam’s cosmic gravity. The air has changed now that we’ve stopped forcing ourselves to resist what had been there all along.

“Yeah,” I try for casual. It doesn’t work. “There’s something there for sure. I’d like to pursue that. You know. As a topic? For my research project.”

His matching grin validates me in a way that makes my spine tingle. There’s too much energy in this cramped space.

“Totally sounds like the right move for you and…Sam. I think that’s a brilliant choice, honestly. How could you go wrong with that?” he replies. This natural sync is destroying my resolve to stay and work on this stupid project.

“Wanna grab a bite to eat? I mean, the library is closed now,” he asks. “Now that you’ve made a choice, what else is there to do?”

“I confess I haven’t eaten since lunch. I’m quite famished,” I reply, gathering my pencil and notebook and hastily shoving them in my overstuffed bookbag.   

“Ah, famished. Middle English. To ‘starve’. Or, additionally, ‘needy’ or ‘being in want’. Trying to tell me something Leila?”

Oh, this cheeky rascal. 

“I suppose that depends on what you’re offering?” I volley back as he takes my bookbag and slings it over his shoulders.

As we step out of the room into the dimly lit library, he deftly snatches up my hand and interlaces our fingers. 

“Did I ever tell you,” he probes, as he searches my eyes for permission that I’ve already given, “about our names?”

“Our names?” I answer back. Puzzled at the direction this conversation is taking.

I walk over to the main desk to turn off the remaining lights. Reluctantly, I let go of his hand to make sure all the closing tasks are complete. 

“Yeah,” he pauses, watching me work. “Don’t you ever wonder about the nature of a name? You could probably liken it to one of your physics theorems or equations. But for me, there’s just something so satisfying about finding the root of all things. So simple and yet wholly profound to be able to discover laid bare meanings in the formation of letters in a word.”

I find his eyes again, the lure irresistible. 

“And what is it about our names that has you so contemplative?” I ask, honestly curious as to his somewhat pensive manner.

“It’s just…Leila. It’s Hebrew, meaning ‘night’ or ‘dark’. A ‘daughter of the night’ in some translations,” he’s practically whispering, even though we’re alone.

“I think I knew that somewhere in the recesses of my mind,” I smile. He totally looked that up beforehand. The thought alone kindles the flames I’ve been working so hard to dampen down. “And yours? Samuel? What’s it mean?”

“Actually, Sam is short for Samson,” he takes my hand as I come back around, more boldly than before. He draws me closer to him, hands suddenly around my waist. The force of our magnetism at this point is completely overpowering. 

“It’s also Hebrew. It means ‘sun’.  How appropriate. Is that physics? Opposites attract? The sun always chasing the night?” he murmurs, barely audible as the distance between us starts to close.

“Something like that,” I whisper in kind, surging up the last few inches to meet his lips. The current carrying our electricity erupts into an incendiary gravity and nothing exists but the feel of his pull.  

April 26, 2021 22:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

72 comments

12:44 Apr 27, 2021

Yes! So cute and beautiful, Kelly. You're so good at writing lighthearted romance!

Reply

KED KED
14:43 Apr 27, 2021

Ugh. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I appreciate that! They are cute, aren't they!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:19 Apr 27, 2021

From the beginning of this story, I was brimming with excitement! I am utterly confounded on how sophisticated this dialogue between the two main characters progresses. How do you do it? I love, love, love how you included etymology. My life is etymology. You did an exceptional job explaining the magnetism (it's ironic because I am learning about that in science. I could seriously use your explanation as a reference source.) I learn so much from your writing each and every time I read a story from you. I also loved how you portrayed...

Reply

KED KED
01:42 Apr 27, 2021

I might be crying... These are unbelievably lovely comments and honestly I’m a little overwhelmed by your praise! To be totally frank, these characters practically wrote themselves, you know?? I’ll admit I did have to do a bit of research though 😉 Etymology truly is fascinating, isn't it?! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! 😭♥️ Really looking forward to reading more of your work!!

Reply

01:50 Apr 27, 2021

Etymology is fascinating. It is one of the reasons why I started writing. I have a question: How do you maintain a certain amount of accuracy of facts and flow in your writing? This is one of the things I am working on for my next short story. I would greatly appreciate your answer:)

Reply

KED KED
02:35 Apr 27, 2021

Is it really?! Wow...I’m not sure? I kind of read through whatever topic it is I’m thinking on and wait to see how it connects with what I’m trying to say...whatever point I’m trying to make secondary to the story. Does that make sense? Have you found your connection yet or are you still looking?

Reply

03:47 Apr 28, 2021

Yes, it makes sense. I think I have found my connection between depression or Psychology.

Reply

KED KED
14:57 Apr 28, 2021

Nice! Are you working on another story this week?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
23:24 Apr 26, 2021

Wow! This really blew my mind! This was a beautiful story, and I felt every emotion that Leila and Sam were feeling. I love the conversation they had about physics, and how at the end Sam starts talking about the meaning of their names. The discussion about magnets was a great touch, almost like they are drawn to each other. My favorite line is: “The logical part of my mind that isn’t being consumed in a confusing spark of anticipation clicks the connecting pieces together.” This was brilliantly written!! Overall, I'm very impressed ...

Reply

KED KED
10:02 Apr 27, 2021

Ugh, THANK YOU DANIEL! I always look forward to your kind comments! I’m so relieved I was able to portray their magnetism. I knew what I wanted for them but it doesn’t always translate to paper, know what I mean? Thank you so much!! 🥰🥰

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:40 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you for writing such a great story!! I gotta say, I'm lovin' the new name :)

Reply

KED KED
15:42 Apr 27, 2021

LOL Thank you! Childhood nickname...best to embrace them, yeah?

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:44 Apr 27, 2021

That's right! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
21:23 Apr 27, 2021

Great story!

Reply

KED KED
23:46 Apr 27, 2021

Thank you so much!!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:10 Apr 27, 2021

Wow! I look forward to reading your next submission. This was flawless and had me glued to the story the whole time. Great job!

Reply

KED KED
20:18 Apr 27, 2021

Ah! THANK YOU!! I appreciate that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:22 Apr 29, 2021

I am neither a fan, nor a follower of Romance, yet this story compelled me to stick till the end. I admire the way you tried to introduce different concepts, with a flavor of love. Keep going.

Reply

KED KED
10:02 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you!! I really appreciate that :) 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
02:44 Apr 28, 2021

And the Spring Fairy is here to sprinkle her dust to paint the daffodils; to bring birds. and song to your story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Charli Britton
22:03 Apr 27, 2021

“Ah, famished. Middle English. To ‘starve’. Or, additionally, ‘needy’ or ‘being in want’. Trying to tell me something Leila?” Such a witty line. I love Sam and Leila. You dialogue is amazing and I love the play on names. Every thing flows so nicely and it was an easy, enjoyable, yet intellectual read!

Reply

KED KED
23:53 Apr 27, 2021

Ugh THANK YOU. I love them too! Little stinkers :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:33 May 17, 2021

Ugh this was sooo good! Written beautifully, the romance was so amazing! I love how you use science terms to show their chemistry, it was truly well written! Amazing job Kelly!

Reply

KED KED
21:06 May 17, 2021

THANK YOU!!! I like this one a lot :) I appreciate that!

Reply

16:54 May 18, 2021

Of course Kelly!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shaquita B.
00:04 May 11, 2021

I LOVE romance and thoroughly enjoyed this story. Although I remember little about Physics from high school, I appreciate the atmosphere that the metaphors created. I was excited about Sam and wanted to know more. Great job!

Reply

KED KED
21:23 May 12, 2021

Ahh! Thank you SO MUCH!! I just love them together haha! <3 <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
18:22 May 06, 2021

Cute story! Although they were discussing physics, Leila and Sam have great chemistry!

Reply

KED KED
18:47 May 06, 2021

Ha! YASSS!! I was hoping for exactly that :) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
16:58 May 05, 2021

oh kelly...saw your new profile pic...you a skier or a rider? :)

Reply

KED KED
18:27 May 05, 2021

Snowboarder ;)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
19:22 May 05, 2021

aha! so am I :) my feelings are that with both legs strapped to the board it's a smaller percentage of pain....although face planting and buttwiping out aren't pretty either ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen Ross
12:52 May 05, 2021

as someone who struggles to write dialogue, this is SO IMPRESSIVE. I love it!

Reply

KED KED
16:18 May 05, 2021

Ahh! Thank you so so much! I like these two LOL :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:22 May 04, 2021

Hey Kelly, Yes, I'm back again:) This time, I don't have a longish comment because I already commented:) I just stopped by to tell you that I like your new profile picture:) UNless you would like another looonger commentXD😉

Reply

KED KED
21:01 May 04, 2021

Aww thank you so much!!! <3 :)

Reply

21:15 May 04, 2021

Your welcome. I can't wait for your next story!!

Reply

23:08 May 04, 2021

Hey Kelly, I've come to you for inspiration. I need a fresh and not-sad idea. Something quirky, lighthearted, and fun for the allergic to the sun or blackout prompts. Any ideas? I would VEry much appreciate it if and when you can:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rheo Graham
23:22 May 03, 2021

Interesting ideas! I like the introduction of the theme within the theme of the project ☺

Reply

KED KED
23:40 May 03, 2021

Thank you so much!!!!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R. B. Leyland
20:38 May 03, 2021

Honestly seemed so natural throughout, really good read well done! Makes you wonder whether the text actually WAS a mistake? Ha! I hope she remembered to lock the library afterwards!

Reply

KED KED
20:49 May 03, 2021

Ha! Thank you so much! I mean, who really knows at this point 😉

Reply

R. B. Leyland
06:18 May 04, 2021

Just downright irresponsible if you ask me 😉😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
R. B. Leyland
09:30 May 13, 2021

Hey Kelly! Would love your input on my "Secret of the Dance" story I just posted. Bit out of my comfort zone with it leaning slightly into romance, which I know you're great at!

Reply

KED KED
19:04 May 13, 2021

I just read it!! LOVED it!!!! :)

Reply

R. B. Leyland
20:20 May 13, 2021

Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

KED KED
21:32 May 13, 2021

:) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amara Tillington
19:28 May 03, 2021

Truly a work of art! I'm in love with this! Have you ever thought about publishing a whole book? Because you could, I bet.

Reply

KED KED
19:39 May 03, 2021

UGH. THANK YOU! I can't tell you how awesome that is...I'm in love with them too! I appreciate you and your kind words more than I can say! :) :)

Reply

Amara Tillington
18:17 May 05, 2021

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
18:29 May 03, 2021

I loved the physics and etymology themes! I also really loved the banter between the characters and I could feel the passion. Great job!

Reply

KED KED
18:41 May 03, 2021

Thank you so much!! Me too...I'm thrilled they came together that way :) I appreciate it so much :) :)

Reply

Kate Winchester
19:11 May 03, 2021

You’re welcome. 😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ro Gardje
05:46 May 03, 2021

Wow, well this deserves a win! It is great, real amazing characters and story! I would highly highly appreciate your feedback on my story "Mr Read" if you have a spare moment! I really need some critical thinking ⭐

Reply

KED KED
15:43 May 03, 2021

Ah! Thank you SO MUCH!! I appreciate the kind words :) You bet ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
23:01 May 01, 2021

Hi Kelly, This is the first story I’ve read of yours. It’s very intelligently written, clever with these two characters. I feel the heat!

Reply

KED KED
00:14 May 02, 2021

Ah! Thank you so much!!! I appreciate that 🥰🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.