29 comments

Drama Contemporary Fantasy


The chocolate ice cream liquifies quickly in the heat, squidging between my toes and staining one of my new camel-coloured sandals. I figure I have ten seconds, tops, before the pig-tailed girl switches from staring at the empty cone to sniffling, crying and ragged screaming, as only children can do, taking a deep breath before each wail.


“Alice!”


I turn to see who’s calling my name. It’s the pigtailed girl’s mother. “It’s okay, honey, we’ll get you another one,” she says as she takes my namesake’s hand, leading her from the side yard into the house.


“Ali, darling, you made it,” Lewis says. Somehow he manages to look dapper even in this stifling heat. His white linen three-piece suit is crisp, his panama hat partially shading his tanned face.


“Hi Lewis. Where’s the bar?”


“Bit thirsty are we?”


“I was promised many gin and tonics, in large balloon glasses, sweating from copious globes of ice.”


“Oh, you’re not here to celebrate Poppy’s seventh birthday? To revel with the sweaty, sticky-fingered children. Or, as you call them, the pint-sized chaos machines?”


“Gin. And. Tonic.”


“Very well, darling. The bar is in the sunken garden. Go through that door,” he waves at the door Alice and her mother used, “then out the back door, make a left and look for the rose-covered arch. The sunken garden is on the other side.”


“You need anything?” I ask as I turn toward the house.


“If they have any good hallucinogens, bring a few back,” he laughs.


I shake my head and step into the slightly cooler home, removing my sunglasses and putting them in my purse. Apparently I’ve walked into one end of a long dining room, but the table’s been removed. Eleven chairs form an oval, the seats facing outward as a troupe of children march past them. The godawful children’s music that assaulted my ears as soon as I stepped inside thankfully stops, and the kids dash to sit on the chairs. I stride past the mayhem to the other side, where sliding glass doors open to the back yard.


A large, slate-covered patio extends the width of the house and twenty feet into the back yard. On the right side, five children sit cross-legged on the ground facing each other in a rough circle. They’re wearing pointed party hats strapped to their heads with thin strips of elastic. A girl in a red jumpsuit and pink hat walks around the circle tapping the tops of the hats. “Duck,” she says tapping the blue-hatted girl followed by the yellow-hatted boy. Then “Goose” for the green-hatted boy who jumps up and chases her round the circle.


On the left side of the patio, six children watch as an adult spins a blindfolded seventh child, who holds a strip of paper in his hand. The adult releases the kid, who stumbles toward the patio wall which is pasted with a picture of a grey donkey.


A boy in a yellow shirt blocks my path. Beneath his curly black hair, two puppy-dog brown eyes look up at me. “You wanna play?” he asks.


“No.”


“Why not? It’s fun.”


“Maybe I don’t want to have fun.”


“Oh,” he says, his eyebrows scrunching closer together. “You can have mine.” And before I can respond he pushes a piece of crumpled paper into my hand and skips away. I unfold it to reveal a paper donkey’s tail. I tuck it in my purse until I can find a way to dispose of it.


At the far end of the patio, on the left side, I spot an archway covered in red and yellow roses. The sound of children's’ laughter fade the further I walk under the canopy. When I reach the other side, three stone steps lead to a circular sunken garden. The walls are five-feet high, made from grey and brown stones, stacked on top of each other and crawling with ivy. The ground is tiled in the same blue-grey slate as the patio. Behind a table covered in a cloth decorated with red hearts, stands a woman in a white dress. Her milky skin contrasts with her raven hair which is pulled into a severe double bun on top of her head. She smiles and beckons me over.


“Welcome to the sunken garden,” she says. “What would you like?”


“Gin and tonic.”


“We don’t have that.”


“Are you kidding me?” I ask, glancing at her name tag. “Look Carrol, I need a large glass of gin, forget the tonic.”


“We don't have gin.”


“Fine. Vodka then.”


“We don’t have that either.”


“What kind of bar doesn’t have gin or vodka?”


“I mean, this is a CHILDREN’S party, so the hosts have spent most of the budget on magicians, and clowns, party favours, and cake.”


“Well, the HOSTS promised me that I could have some quality G&Ts and then we could discuss some business, and I would not have to interact with the children.”


We stare at each for several moments.


“We have punch,” she says, motioning toward two large crystal bowls on the table, one filled with red punch and the other with blue.


“Do they contain booze?”


“They’ll work like magic.”


“Fine, give me the red one.”


She ladles the punch into a small crystal glass and hands it to me. I down it in one gulp.


“You’re welcome,” she says.


I’m about to ask for refill when the world goes dark and I'm falling towards the table.


I wake up on the ground. I’m alone, Carrol is gone, as is the table with the punch bowls. Spots of coloured light, like sunlight filtered through the prisms of a thousand chandeliers, dance around me. Standing up slowly, I brush dirt off my sky-blue capri pants, and make my way back through the tunnel of roses.


When I emerge on the other side, a flock of ducks wearing pointy party hats quack as they waddle past me, chased by a large white goose in a green hat. I don’t remember seeing a petting zoo on my way in, but maybe I was passed out for longer than I thought. What’s even stranger though, is that there are no children. Or parents, for that matter. They must be inside the house, blowing out candles on Poppy’s birthday cake.


As I walk towards the back door, a flash of grey flickers in the periphery, to my right. I turn my head to see a large donkey. He stamps the patio with his hooves, pulls back his lips to reveal large yellow teeth, and then charges at me. I run toward the house, my sandals slapping hard against the slate. Only a few more steps until I reach the door.


I leap inside and slam the sliding doors shut as quickly as I can. The donkey skids to a stop, glaring at me through the transparent door. His breath fogs the glass and he brays so loud it vibrates, then he turns and walks away. He’s missing a tail.


After a few seconds, the thumping of blood rushing through my ears is replaced with utter cacophony, as if hundreds of musical instruments are tumbling down an unending staircase. I pivot from the door to face the dining room. The chairs are standing on their back legs, playing instruments with their front legs. The one closest to me beats on a bass drum. Other chairs are ringing triangles, and banging on pianos and xylophones. One chair in the corner is murdering a harp.


I mutter, “What the actual fu—”


“Hey lady,” says the yellow-shirted boy from earlier.


“Hey…kid.”


“I’m Samuel.”


“I’m Alice. Samuel, what’s going on here?”


“I don’t know. I had to pee. I came back. And…” he waves at the chairs.


“What do musical chairs and donkeys have in common?” asks a voice.


I jump at the sound and turn to see Lewis. He’s traded his white linen suit for a bright green one, and his panama hat for black-and-green checkered top hat. He’s standing at the kitchen counter drinking tea from a fancy cup.


“Lewis! Thank god,” I say walking towards him.


“Silence!” he yells.


I stop on the spot. The chairs stop playing.


“Well?” he asks.


“Well what?”


“What’s your answer to the riddle?”


“Ah, they both have four legs?”


“Nonsense!” he trills. “You’ll never leave the way you came. You must learn to play the game.”


“What game?”


“The puzzle has a missing piece, you must complete the beast, or spend endless time with ducks and geese.”


“Lewis, that doesn’t make any—”


He disappears in a cloud of blue smoke.


Samuel waves the smoke away from his face, then sneezes three times.


I reach into my purse for a Kleenex and something wriggles against my fingers.


“Gah!”


“What’s wrong, Alice?”


“There’s something moving in my purse,” I say as I set it on kitchen counter and open it as wide as I can.


A large grey worm, fatter at the top and sprouting thick black hair at bottom, twists and turns.


Samuel pulls up a chair and stands on it so he can see into the purse. “That’s the tail for the donkey!” he exclaims.


“How’d it get in MY purse? Oh…wait, you gave me that piece of paper with a donkey tail drawn on it…Maybe that’s the missing puzzle piece?” I wonder, looking through glass windows to the donkey who’s glaring back. 


“I have to complete the beast,” I continue, picking up the tail gingerly.


“You gonna put it back on?” Samuel asks.


“Yeah, yeah. But he doesn’t like me. We’ll need to find a way to distract him, so that I can get close enough to attach it.”


“Donkeys like carrots,” Samuel offers.


“What? Oh, yes. We tempt him with carrots, and while he’s eating, I stick his tail back on. Great idea Samuel. Why don’t you look in the fridge for veggies. Carrots, lettuce, that kind of thing.”


He nods enthusiastically and opens the fridge while I rummage through the kitchen cabinets trying to find a receptacle for the vegetables. That’s when I find one of the crystal punch bowls, gathering dust, on a bottom shelf.


“This ought to work," I say, as I place it on the kitchen floor so Samuel can load the carrots and lettuce and celery into it.


I pick up the bowl and walk toward the sliding glass doors. The donkey is about ten feet away, ears flattened to his head, teeth bared.


“You stay here, Samuel,” I say as slide the doors open and step onto the back patio. “And close the doors behind me.”


I walk a few paces and bend down to put the bowl on the slate tiles. That’s when the donkey charges. I leap onto a nearby picnic table and he butts his head against it, throwing me off balance. I widen my stance and shuffle in a tight circle on top to the table, moving with the donkey, keeping him in sight. As I shuffle back to face the house, I see Samuel. He’s on the patio, laying down a trail of chopped carrots, leading back to the bowl filled with veggies.


He slips back into the house and yells, “Hey donkey, hey donkey!”


The beast turns toward the noise, ears perking up. He walks toward the back door, then stops, places his muzzle against the ground, and crunches on a carrot. Gradually he gets closer and closer to the glass bowl until he starts eating from it.


I tiptoe off the picnic table and creep toward him, keeping his backside facing me.


The tail wiggles in my hand and I nearly yelp. Slowing my breath, I take a few small steps until I’m within touching distance.


Samuel is dancing and singing, “Hey donkey, donkey.” As the beast’s ears turn toward him, I smack the tail on his backside. He brays and kicks me. Blackness descends.


When I open my eyes, I’m surrounded in a whirlwind of colour that fades after a few moments. I’m on the patio. Behind me, a group of children plays Duck Duck Goose. In front of me is the donkey, pasted as a picture on the patio wall.


“Your turn, Alice,” Samuel says, grinning, handing me a blindfold.


I smile and put it on. The children gather round and turn me in a circle, faster and faster, until I’m stumbling and laughing.

May 10, 2021 13:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Ellie Yu
18:36 May 10, 2021

Definitely not what I was expecting, but I love it! It's energetic and fun, and the Wonderland references add another layer to the story too. I saw one of your comments, and in my opinion it totally works. Alice's cynical nature compared with the children's playfulness makes it feel balanced. I caught a few grammar things: "They’re wearing pointed party hats strapped to their heads with a thin strip of elastic." --> I'm clearly not a grammar expert, but should it be "thin strips of elastic"? Sorry if my correction is wrong! "“I have to com...

Reply

H L McQuaid
18:38 May 10, 2021

Thanks, Ellie! Glad you thought it worked. I'll make those corrections now. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Thom With An H
13:16 May 15, 2021

I admire how you think outside the box. There are weeks I don't submit a story because none come to mind and I realize when I read a gem like this one that there is always a story to tell if you're a story teller. This was fun and enlightening and just so very well written. Great job. I did submit one for the current contest. It's called "Thirteen Roses." If you wouldn't mind can you let me know what you think?

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:44 May 18, 2021

Thanks so much, Tom. I don't really think of myself as a storyteller. I motivate myself to write by finding some kind of twist (or something unusual, or thought-provoking) that will keep my interest long enough to finish the story. I'm glad that other people find them enjoyable. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ash Jarvis
16:43 May 14, 2021

This was an amazing story—you created such vivid images while at the same time never using an unnecessary word. I especially loved the paper tail coming to life, which was gross, yet fascinating at the same time (also, hats off to Alice for actually picking the thing up!). This was a lot of fun, and a wonderful take on the prompt!

Reply

H L McQuaid
16:49 May 15, 2021

Hi Ash, Glad you liked it, it kinda reminded me of the themes you sometimes explore, so I'm happy you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
23:29 May 12, 2021

How very wonderland! This one completely caught me by surprise, I loved it.

Reply

H L McQuaid
19:20 May 13, 2021

Thanks Beth. Caught me by surprise too. I had the idea of musical chairs coming to life, and then this pops out. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
20:45 May 12, 2021

Hah! The trip sounds like way more fun than the party. This was such a fun and wild ride. Great job! I saw this in my email and thought of you https://mastersreview.com/flash-fiction-contest/

Reply

H L McQuaid
17:33 May 13, 2021

Oh, that looks interesting. Thanks for sharing, Kristin! And glad you enjoyed Alice's wild ride. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
15:47 May 12, 2021

Hello Heather! Just going to be late but I'll be dropping comments soon for both fantastic stories, I promise.

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:50 May 12, 2021

No worries, Frances. Only if you feel inspired (I mean of course I'd love your feedback, but don't feel obligated, and if you only get to one story, that's also fine, don't feel you need to read and comment on both). :) :) :)

Reply

Frances Reine
13:40 May 15, 2021

That's the thing, your stories never cease to inspire. And the speed you write them at is incredible, especially since the quality never runs out. - My gosh, I love a modern story whisked with fairytale. And like always: the dialogue is stellar. This is the funniest thing I've read all week. I can't pick a favourite line at all but it has to be a line of dialogue if I had to choose. No critique from me! I don't see anything to tweak at all! Enjoyed this so much! :)

Reply

H L McQuaid
16:51 May 15, 2021

hi Frances. Yay, glad I made you smile. It's a silly story, afterall. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
03:59 May 11, 2021

I'm bamBOOZLED This story just turned me on my head and span me around and make me play peg the tail on the donkey. It was hilarious. That punch though, wild stuff. In my head that stuff was laced with something funny, and Alice ended up in a alcohol induced fever dream. I'm going to be honest, I think the dialogue is great and very reminiscent of the conversations in Wonderland. It was easy to understand (easier than the book), and I'm sure people who have read "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" will get the nod to that tale. The moral ...

Reply

H L McQuaid
17:44 May 11, 2021

Hi K, Ha, love the pun! :) So glad you liked it, and extracted the moral of the story. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H L McQuaid
18:18 May 10, 2021

And I broke the 2000 word barrier. Maybe I'll aim for 2500 next time. ;)

Reply

Nina Chyll
14:19 May 13, 2021

Woo! Congratulations. I love new spins on old tales, especially when they involve actual spinning in blindfolds. I envy you the ability to write compelling lightheartedness and engaging dialogue. A really cool story.

Reply

H L McQuaid
19:19 May 13, 2021

thanks, Nina. You're brilliant with the darker, heavier, more serious topics, and I wish I could write drama as deftly as you. But it don't come easy. ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Claire Lindsey
17:21 May 10, 2021

Hi Heather, This is so fun! I love the fantastical nod to Alice in Wonderland, the clever details of the party, and the overall lightheartedness of the story. A couple small edits: “This ought to work I say,” as I place it on the kitchen floor Placement of closing quotation mark and comma “In front of me, is the donkey, pasted as a picture on the patio wall.” Remove the comma after ‘me’

Reply

H L McQuaid
18:25 May 10, 2021

Thank you Claire. As always you catch those things I can't see any more! Thought I'd do a lighter piece after exploring the murky depths of dive bars and despicable people. ;) Glad you thought it was fun. My goal was to make readers smile.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
17:11 May 10, 2021

This was so clever!!! The musical chairs gave me a good smile. I liked how heavily you made Alice fixate on the darn Gin and Tonics. Once I realized it was a nod to Alice in Wonderland I went back and read it again and picked up on quite a few more details! You took this prompt to a fun and surprising place, loved it. One or two edits that I noticed, “We’re don't have gin.” Do you mean we and not we're? And- “I mean, this is a CHILDREN’S party, so the hosts have spent most of budget on magicians, and clowns, party favours, and cake.” It mi...

Reply

H L McQuaid
18:27 May 10, 2021

Shea, thank you. Sharp eyes is what I need. Glad you thought it was clever and you smiled, that was my main goal, and I'm quite chuffed. Thanks for reading and helping!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
13:34 May 10, 2021

Hi Heather! Cool story. Completely unexpected direction but I really enjoyed it! Loved your descriptions, I felt like it was all very vivid. Particularly liked this image - "like sunlight filtered through the prisms of a thousand chandeliers, dance around me." One edit I noticed, "she says as takes my namesake’s hand" - missing 'she' Nice work!

Reply

H L McQuaid
15:21 May 10, 2021

Hi Rachel, Thanks for catching the typo! I've fixed it. I had the idea of children's party where the games come to life, and then I added few references to Alice in Wonderland. Not sure it works, but I wanted to write something fun after the darker piece from last week. :) Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Zelda C. Thorne
15:29 May 10, 2021

It is fun and it worked for me. It is nice to break up the dark stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
19:00 May 19, 2021

It was surely a creative story. I really liked how you described everything and everyone Alice meets/sees en route. Please read my latest stories, two of them being from the same contest as this one and comment on your review. I'd appreciate that a lot. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cathryn V
04:13 May 18, 2021

Hello Heather, What a fun tale this is! Alice has disdain for kids in the beginning and turns around at the end. I love the donkey tail. I caught one typo: You stay here, Samuel,” I say as slide the doors open and step onto the back patio. “And close the doors behind me.” Maybe it should say ...I say as I slide ? Jolly good story!😂

Reply

H L McQuaid
07:39 May 18, 2021

Hi Cathryn, Thanks so much, glad you liked it. It was just approved so I can't fix the typo (grrr). :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.