104 comments

Mystery Suspense Thriller

Author’s Note:

Hey everyone! I hope you’ve had an AMAZING summer so far! Here’s Part 2 to my Reedsy cast! I am NOT taking any more applications, and the form is closed as well! Also, from this point, I’m going to have to start killing characters off, so PLEASE don’t get offended if I do so, I’ll have to take off certain roles for the plot! Thank you again to everyone who applied!


Now onto Part 2! <3


~~~


-Aiden-

I woke up, shaking in cold sweat. Something felt off tonight, but not as strange as the game we were all forced to play. I held my doctor kit nearby, in case the murderer decided to come after me. I could only heal one person per night, and of course I decided to heal someone else instead of myself. I started to curse at myself for making the stupid decision.


My door burst open, and a cloaked figure stepped towards me. I tried to not focus on the object they were holding, but I allowed myself a quick glance at the sharpened knife.


“W-who are you?” I stammered.


The figure smirked, amused. “Hello, Aiden.”


I groan, and clutch my forehead. Memories came flowing into my head.


I remembered everything.


“You don’t want to do this,” I said, finally knowing who brought us here.


“Trust me, I do.


A primal scream escaped my mouth. The last thing I saw was their smirk as they walked toward me, holding the knife out. I blacked out, and the world went cold.


~~~


-Ashlyn-

I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs, and immediately my eyes popped open. I quickly propped myself up, not recognizing the area around myself.


Then the flashbacks came in.


The game, my role, everything.


I shivered, remembering my role.


Mind Reader.


Not for good.


I opened my journal, and quickly flipped to the page where it had asked me to choose someone’s role to read. I decided to read Camryn’s role, since he seemed super calm during the whole ordeal.


Camryn: Good.


I bit my lip. What was I supposed to do with this information? Give it to the murderer? I didn’t even know who they were! And pOoF, now I’m pretty much the only person to figure out who’s on my team?


Then again, Good Mind Reader would have to deal with that as well.


My guilt faded away, but then came back as I mentally smacked myself for being so selfish. I shut my eyes, clearing my thoughts, before I opened my bedroom door and stepped into the small living space.


Cleo, Camryn, Chris, and Ellie were sitting on the couch in silence. Talk about awkward…


“Uh, good morning?” I said nervously. Camryn gave a small wave.


“Good morning! How’[d you sleep?” asked Ellie. For someone who was playing a deadly game, she seemed pretty relaxed.


“As well as someone can when they’re in the constant fear of being murdered...” I joked with half a smile. They all laughed.


B entered the room, looking exhausted. She had dark circles under her eyes, and her hair was a mess, as if she couldn’t get any sleep.


“Did anyone else hear that scream last night?” she asked, looking pale.


Cleo shuddered, “Yeah, I wonder who...”


Her voice petered to silence, and we all didn’t know exactly what to say to that. Maddie stepped out of her room, and cautiously looked around.


“Is it safe?” she asked, eyeing everyone.


“Think so,” said Chris.


Maddie let out the breath she’d been holding. “Where’s Aiden?”


Everyone froze.


“I-I’ll go check-” B stammered, slamming Aiden’s door open. We all crowded behind her, as she let out a small gasp and covered her lips with her hand.


I took a quick glance at the body, and ran back to the living room, sitting down. Bile rose in my throat, and my tongue felt dry. I could barely let the word’s out, “He’s dead.”


Ellie teared up, sitting to my right. She wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and clung onto me as if I was the only one keeping her together.


Camryn sat down to my left, covering his face with his hands. Everyone else sat down near the couch, pale and trembling. The only people who seemed calm was B and Maddie, although to be fair they were always calm.


The TV clicked on, and the figure spoke once again. “Oh my! It seems someone has already died! Poor guy, he lasted long enough. Well, you all have six hours until you need to vote off someone. You can discuss with everyone else, but no revealing roles or reading journals.”


“Wait-” Chris said, “What’s that in the corner of the screen?” We all looked, and saw a symbol similar to an X with a T going through it. The figure seemed to frown, and the TV shut down. I quickly grabbed my journal and sketched the symbol down.



“What does it mean?” asked Cleo, leaning close to my journal. I ripped out the page, and hid my journal in my pocket. I left the page in the center of the circle we all formed.


“Is it a logo?” I thought out-loud, “Or a code for something?”


“A code for what?” asked B.


“Maybe it represents the round we’re in for the game?” Ellie wondered.


“I don’t think it’s a code,” said Camryn, “I think it might be a symbol representing whoever trapped us here.”


“But who?” asked Maddie.


“This is leading us nowhere,” Chris muttered, “I think we should start trying to figure out who’s evil.”


“Well, is anyone sus?” asked Ellie.


“You sound like someone who plays Among Us,” growled B.


“Doesn’t everyone?”


“Back to the point,” said Camryn, “I find it a little strange how calm Maddie was when we saw Aiden’s body.”


“You’re accusing me of killing him?!” Maddie yelled.


“Not accusing! More like, pointing a small, insignificant detail out?”


Maddie practically growled. “If anyone’s suspicious, it’d be you. You’re acting super quiet when something bad happens, and you’re always trying to move discussions along to make the game quicker.”


“That- that is pretty suspicious...” I muttered. I bit the inside of my cheek, the taste of my blood stopping me from shouting, HE’S GOOD! VOTE ME, I’M THE EVIL ONE!


The TV turned back on (the symbol being noticeably missing), and the figure spoke again. “A majority already? I should’ve known, you all jump to conclusions oh so easily.”


“What does that mean?” asked Cleo.


“Nothing you remember,” the figure sneered, “But you aren’t taking a few people into consideration, they’ve been hiding this whole time!”


WHO?” We all shouted at the same time. 


“Come on out, you two!” said the figure. Two doors opened up. One girl with brown hair and blue streaks came out of the first one, fidgeting. The other girl had bright blue hair, and deep orange eyes. The lights started to flicker, and everything went dark.


“Meet Isla and Cora.”


~~~


Thank you to everyone who participated in my first Reedsy Cast!

Cleo/Cookie Carla: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/cookie-carla/

Camryn/Chase Dova: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/chase-dova/

B/B.W: 

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/b-w/

Maddie/Abigail Cross: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/edbcba/

Ashlyn/Wolf Warrior: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/wolf-warrior-e4a694/

Chris/Celeste:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/0466a8/

Ellie/Anonymous:

(You know who you are ;) )

Aiden/Me:

*cough* you know how to find my profile lol

Isla/Sia Sharma:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/42b041/

Cora/Sienna:

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/a97cef/


Word Count: 1278 words


July 17, 2021 00:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

104 comments

Lilliane Wei
07:43 Dec 30, 2021

Hello again! I'll admit your stories have me hooked, and for good reason too! I love how you keep building on the story and introducing characters gradually enough so that they are able to fit in with the plot. So excited to read the next few parts, happy writing!! -Olivia

Reply

22:56 Dec 30, 2021

Ty again! x3

Reply

Lilliane Wei
23:02 Dec 30, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
17:46 Jul 20, 2021

SIDE NOTE: when I saw the name Isla tbh I always do a double take cuz not only is it my sister’s fairly uncommon name but it’s the main character in my novels so I’m always like “ISLa BrOoKe iS tHaT yOu?” lol

Reply

20:29 Jul 20, 2021

Lol- understandable xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:28 Aug 06, 2021

Wow! I've been waiting for part 2! I'm amazed! I was wondering if I could still join even though this one is full, but for a future story?

Reply

20:22 Aug 06, 2021

Thank you! If I do a Reedsy cast in the future, I'll definitely let you know :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:23 Aug 06, 2021

Part 3 is also out!

Reply

16:12 Aug 08, 2021

Good to know! Thanks!!

Reply

19:30 Aug 08, 2021

Np!

Reply

12:21 Aug 09, 2021

I'm doing a Reedsy cast of my own, want to be in it?

Reply

19:33 Aug 09, 2021

Sure! :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
B. W.
16:30 Aug 01, 2021

Heya

Reply

20:04 Aug 05, 2021

Hey! :P

Reply

B. W.
00:12 Aug 06, 2021

Hey, so how have you been doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:53 Jul 27, 2021

Hey, tell as many people as you can that Reedsy's updating this Thursday-Friday and to remember your password, because after it updates you'll need to know it to prove it's you and we don't want people getting locked out. So yeah. Please please PLEASE tell others about this!!! (from Dhwani Jain)

Reply

20:03 Aug 05, 2021

Hi! SORRY I WAS INACTIVE FOR A FEW WEEKS- I noticed that earlier- SORRY AGAIN ITS BEEN A WHILE T-T

Reply

TJ Squared
20:04 Aug 05, 2021

It’s alright Yeah it has :)

Reply

20:04 Aug 05, 2021

So hru? 😁

Reply

TJ Squared
20:06 Aug 05, 2021

Pretty good, hbu?

Reply

20:09 Aug 05, 2021

I'm ok, I have a lot of events I need to go to before school starts (family vacations, birthday parties, stuff like that)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
23:07 Jul 22, 2021

OK this is so cool. I need to play this soon. ;)

Reply

03:25 Jul 25, 2021

xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Moon Fox
23:01 Jul 22, 2021

Hi! I loooove KOTLC and reading. I really want to colab with someone. If not you, could you point me in the direction a a person? Thanks. (Also Keefe is MINE! but I can share ;)

Reply

03:25 Jul 25, 2021

Hey! Yes, KOTLC is the BEST! And rn I'm super busy, but I know a few people who've done collabs before! (gr fine 🙃)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:44 Jul 20, 2021

MSIWJIQJSIQJQIJSNANAJQJ yo I love your new aesthetic omg-

Reply

20:29 Jul 20, 2021

TYY X3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
21:38 Jul 18, 2021

Ooooooooooooooooooo the plot is just AMAZING just saying. Reeeeeeeeeee Dis was really really good and her/my POV was awesome takkiufzvhgzvjitwvmloiffbkkyd Wow so much excitement XD Can’t wait for part 3, supa grrrrrrreat job :D

Reply

01:13 Jul 19, 2021

TYY rEeEEeEEe tY aGaIn xD yeah x3 tY fOr tHe thIrD tImE lOl TIME TO WRITE LIKE S P E E D >:DD

Reply

TJ Squared
01:15 Jul 19, 2021

you're very welcome XDD lolololololololol yesh be sPeEd XDDDDD

Reply

01:20 Jul 19, 2021

lololololololololollooll S P E E D (well probably tmr since i have stuff to wrap up today xD)

Reply

TJ Squared
01:22 Jul 19, 2021

yesh S P E E D (still XD)

Reply

01:23 Jul 19, 2021

YESHHHHH S P E E D (xD)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
10:04 Jul 18, 2021

gimme an unusual/mysterious phrase/sentence, thank you

Reply

19:34 Jul 18, 2021

hM oK- uHHhH 'A growl echoed through the tress,' Like that?? Or more uNuSuAl x3

Reply

Sia S
00:30 Jul 19, 2021

XD that's fine lolll

Reply

01:13 Jul 19, 2021

k xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I LOVE THIS NDWJNCO:WJDLCWDJLCWLUC wait im mind reader right IMMMA BOIII Star, I love thisssssss ashlyn meanie XD /j

Reply

01:17 Jul 19, 2021

TYYY you'll see (cOmMeNt sTaLkErS iM nOt rEvEaLiNg yEt sH) EHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEH TY :D Yeh I tried to give her the "I'M NICE BUT AT THE SAME TIME YOU DONT WANNA MESS WITH ME" vibe, cause I thought it'd leave better character relationship development aNd sTuFf x3

Reply

20:28 Jul 20, 2021

x3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:55 Jul 17, 2021

I don't have a lot to say for this one, except I still really like it and that its great ^^ There were a lot of parts in the story that I liked, and I can't wait for part 3. Also, you killed off your character in this part?

Reply

00:56 Jul 18, 2021

Yeah lol, I did that cause I didnt want to kill anyone else's character yet :'D Thanks for the feedback! :D

Reply

B. W.
03:39 Jul 18, 2021

No prob ^^ So how many parts do you think there'll be for this little Reedsy Cast story?

Reply

19:29 Jul 18, 2021

Probably at most 10 (if I do 1 POV per part) But I might do 2 POV's per part, it kinda depends

Reply

B. W.
20:10 Jul 18, 2021

I know you probably won't make one, but I think in the comments ya mentioned something about a novel. And, honestly, I wouldn't mind reading it if ya ever did make one ^^

Reply

01:10 Jul 19, 2021

Awh thanks! Idk if I'd make this into a novel, mainly because I dOnT have the patience for a huge project lol

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:49 Jul 17, 2021

OOOOH IM FIRSTTT hieeeee This was awesome! *frowns at Ashlyn* XD I think Ashlyn's PIV was a lil long, and cuz she was the murderer, she should slowly adapt to the role cuz like she should feel a lil anticipation or glee when someones murdered as ter development. Besides that, Awesome!! (I love this) (thanks so much for including me!!!) Oop that was long- Anyways, bye, thanks for including me again!! Have a good day!

Reply

19:35 Jul 17, 2021

x3 eLLo! actually, she was mind-reader evil, but yeah i agree tyy! thats fine xD bye! you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
01:02 Jul 17, 2021

YAY! Finally finished! I've added two new characters (THANK YOU SIA AND SIENNA! BOTH CHARACTERS ARE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! *hearts*), and now the form is closed! I'm not adding any more characters, mainly because if I did I'd have to write a full novel, not a Reedsy series x3 Thanks to everyone who participated! I cannot wait for you all to see what happens next! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
18:19 Jul 27, 2021

Hey, so I made another new story yesterday ^^ Could you maybe check it out and leave some feedback on it?

Reply

20:03 Aug 05, 2021

Hey! Sorry about the inactivity, I'll check it out soon!

Reply

B. W.
00:13 Aug 06, 2021

Eh thats alright, just remember to leave feedback, I'd love to see what ya think ^^

Reply

20:23 Aug 06, 2021

Ofc! And btw, I just posted my Reedsy Cast Part 3 :)

Reply

B. W.
01:50 Aug 07, 2021

Thanks, and I'll go check it out soon ^^

Reply

19:58 Aug 07, 2021

Same here x3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:01 Jul 19, 2021

New thread--and yeah, it's like 50/50 that something could happen either way with the glitch. I'd imagine it would be in a bad way though. Also, here some of the names for the characters, you can ask any questions for any of them if you want: 1. Comet 2. Cyber 3. Thirteen 4. Techno 5. W.B. 6. Phoenix/Nix I will already say this, all of these characters are for a story that I'm working on on a different website.

Reply

02:05 Jul 19, 2021

Ahh ok, cool! Whenever you post that story, feel free to send me it (whether by link or however, I'd love to check it out x3)

Reply

B. W.
02:12 Jul 19, 2021

I'm not sure if the links will entirely work, but I'll try it later. So, for now, do you have any questions about any of these characters? Maybe just so ya could get a better understanding, or if the links never work, you can still know some stuff about the characters and everything.

Reply

18:56 Jul 19, 2021

Ahh ok. So how are the other characters relate to Thirteen? (So like, how do they meet her, do they know other androids, things like that)

Reply

B. W.
20:27 Jul 19, 2021

Well, they've all known each other for a long time, and Phoenix is more or less the new character everyone meets later on. Though I'm gonna explain the first question for each character (Except Phoenix, at least not yet): 1. Most of the characters were friends at this point, but Comet never knew about Thirteen for quite some time, and the others hadn't told her yet. Though she found out after a malfunctioning Thirteen ran into her, and Comet helped her back to the others. 2. Cyber had actually been there when Thirteen was being created, so t...

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
01:44 Jul 20, 2021

So what do ya think about this? And is there anything else you're wondering? I'd be glad to answer anything ^^

Reply

20:26 Jul 20, 2021

Ahh ok, that sounds very interesting! So Cyber didn't build Thirteen? Or was she just assisting?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.