Burning Hearts in a Broken World (Reedsycast- Part One)

Submitted into Contest #88 in response to: Write a story about an ordinary person speaking truth to power.... view prompt

50 comments

Friendship Drama Adventure

ANIYAH


I pluck lazily at the strings of my ukelele while looking over at Mara. She rolls a small red ball between her hands. Even though her blindfold hides it, I can tell her eyes are following it intently. I sigh and pluck a C chord, then a D major, and another C chord. Before I know it, I’m subconsciously playing some song that I heard on the radio a lifetime ago. Soon I’m getting really into it, humming along and bopping my head along to the music. Mara turns around to look at me and smiles while tapping her finger on the ground along to the beat.

I play for around a minute before stopping abruptly. Mara looks up at me curiously. I put down my ukelele and get up from where I was sitting. I stretch and wiggle my fingers while sighing. I can’t play music for long before the flashbacks startup. 

“Sorry M, that’s enough playing for today. Imma walk around a bit ok?” I tell her in a tired tone.

Mara just tilts her head in confusion before nodding slowly and going back to rolling her ball. I love that girl, but she’s literally a 10-year-old in a 14-year-olds body. I’ll never understand her, but she’s sweet and a good listener. I guess what they say about opposites attracting makes sense.

I walk away from the staircase Mara and I were sitting around and make my way over to the dining hall. Even when food isn’t being served, you can always find someone to talk to. I stroll through the doors and scan around the room. I walk over to a table where Celeste, Nainika, and Ethan are sitting. They’re talking to each other about god knows what, but it’s obvious that Celeste is the main one talking while Nainika and Ethan listen.

“Hey, guys!” I call over. They all perk their heads and look over at me. Celeste’s face lights up when she sees me and almost aggressively waves her hand at me. Her lightning-shaped earrings dance around as she bounces on her seat.

“Aniyah! Get over here right now! You can help me with something!” Celeste calls. To be honest, it feels more like a command than an invitation. That’s just the way Celeste is, she somehow gains control over almost all situations. 

“Yeah ok, what’s up?” I say while sliding into a seat. 

Ethan sighs wearily, poor guy. Ever since he arrived in the shelter, Celeste kinda just took him captive as her friend. Though he has to deal with her intense weirdness, I can tell Ethan cares about Celeste a lot. Not like her would ever show it, that little tsundere. And just between you and me, I’m like 99.9% certain Ethan and Celeste have crushes on each other.

“She’s been on a ramble about this thing back in COVID-19 times called ‘PopTarts’ for ages now. She insists it was the most amazing thing in the world and she wants to bake a replica of one with our help. I told her it was a dumb idea, and we don’t have nearly enough resources to make it” Ethan explains, clearly exasperated.

“I think it would be a lot of fun! We have plenty of resources! If we need more we can just go get some” Nainika adds, a sly smile creeping onto her lips. Knowing her if we actually go through with this baking thing, she'll just make sassy quips with me towards Ethan the whole time.

“Sounds fun! I’m in.” I say quickly without giving it a second thought. Plus it’s baking, how bad can it get? We keep talking about the PopTarts, and I can tell Ethan is getting more and more convinced. The plan to make a PopTart is slowly coming together and I can’t wait.


ASTRID


I’m sitting on the stairwell and twisting my ring on my finger. I’m deep in thought, debating if I should tell the others or not. I don’t even know if Middle Ground is real, but Omma insisted when she gave me the ring that it could locate Middle Ground. She told me to use it whenever I needed to. And when I think about it, I don’t need to get to Middle Ground. The shelter has (enough) food and water, and everyone’s (relatively) healthy and happy. But deep down I know good things don’t last forever which means I won’t be able to stay here forever.

I’m still thinking about this when I spot Mara passing below me. She’s squeezing a red ball and humming to herself. Mara, probably one of the strangest people here in the bomb shelter. She kind of just appeared one day in a bloody, battered, terrified mess. She refused to look at anyone here and kept murmuring “Happy birthday to me” to herself. And now she keeps wearing that blindfold Nainika gave her and refuses to talk like...at all.

“Hey Mara, watcha doing here?” I ask. Mara turns and “looks” up to where I’m standing. She purses her lips as if trying to guess where I am. She slowly makes her way towards the stairwell and climbs up. Once she reaches the top, she somehow manages to sit right next to me. She pulls out a small notepad and writes in it. I peer over to see what she writes.

Hello Astrid, I’m just here because Aniyah left to go walk around and I don’t really have anyone else to talk to. How are you? 

Figures, Mara and Aniyah have been glued to each other for as long as I’ve seen them, though I have no idea why. 

“I’m doing pretty well, just thinking about...things,” I say a bit wistfully.

What kind of things? 

Mara tilts her head curiously (I’ve noticed she does that a lot). I pause, asking myself if telling Mara about Middle Ground was a good idea. She was so small and timid, but something about her seemed trustworthy. I sigh, what harm could be done? 

“Mara, have you heard about a place called ‘Middle Ground’ ?” I ask. Mara nods frantically and excitedly. Of course, she has. Everyone’s heard of Middle Ground at least once. The place rumored to be safe for people from both Eastworld and Westworld.

“Right. I know you can’t see it, but I currently have a ring on. It was given to me by my Omma, or grandmother as most people say. She told me that if I used the right command, this ring could guide me to Middle Ground and other safe places. I don’t know if it’s true or not but I think it could be helpful for the people here. I mean we can’t stay in the shelter forever. We’ll run out of stuff eventually.” I continue, kind of getting lost in my thoughts as I speak. 

Mara stares (at least I think she is) at me as I talk. At several points, she starts to write something down on the notepad but stops and keeps listening. When I finish, she looks at me and simply nods...almost solemnly.

I understand what you mean Astrid, but let’s try and live in the present ok? I don’t see any need for going to Middle Ground yet. Thanks for telling me though, it’s nice that you’re thinking about everyone here :)

I smile at Mara, understanding her point. Maybe she’s right and I am overthinking this. The shelter is doing fine, everyone’s safe, and the war can’t hurt us here. We’re all safe. 

“Yeah you’re rig-” I’m about to say, but I’m cut off by a loud BANG as the entire shelter shakes and chunks of the roof start to fall.

Mara’s face goes absolutely pale (and by pale, I mean same color, just terrified expression). I hear screams from the dining hall and doors opening. Mara looks over at me and I can tell we’re thinking the exact same thing…

There’s been another bomb attack.


End of Part One! Thanks to everyone who filled out the form! Anyone who wasn’t in this part will probably (key word: probably) be in the next part. Lemme know what you think about this story and your characters in the comments!



April 08, 2021 03:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

50 comments

22:47 Apr 08, 2021

YASSSSSSSS I LOVED THIS! GRATE 🧀🧀🧀job Sarah!!!!! I love reading Redsy-casts and see what the characters are like :) POPTARTSSSSSSSS <3 Waiting for the next part :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies

why does everyone put me with ethan lol I TOTALY DONT MINDDDDD THANKUUUUU FOR THIS STORYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY| :))))

Reply

Sunny 🌼
03:35 Apr 10, 2021

idk u and ethan just seemed to work in this one lol- I'm glad you enjoyed the story!

Reply

XDDDD <33333333333333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:08 Apr 09, 2021

Wow, that was awesome! I'm literally almost reading every story with a reedsy cast (trying to write one) but tis was one terrific intro! Happy today!

Reply

Sunny 🌼
19:02 Apr 09, 2021

Thank you! And happy today to you as well.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:04 Apr 08, 2021

YESSS! Can't wait till I come in... POPTARTS FOREVER.

Reply

Sunny 🌼
22:07 Apr 08, 2021

POPTARTS FOREVER!

Reply

22:08 Apr 08, 2021

What do you think of my character? I'm nervous she didn't come out good...

Reply

Sunny 🌼
22:13 Apr 08, 2021

I like her a lot! I can't wait to see what I can do with her. The only thing I'm really concerned about is if I'll be able to get you a romantic interest...

Reply

22:21 Apr 08, 2021

That's ok. HAVE YOU SEEN ISAAC? HIS BIO AND STORIES ARE GONE AND I WAS just THERE! WHY DID HE DECIDE TO LEAVE?

Reply

Sunny 🌼
22:37 Apr 08, 2021

WAIT WHAT?! HE HAD ALL HIS STORIES JUST A FEW MOMENTS AGO- Imma check right now!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
14:29 Apr 08, 2021

I said, I might actually tale you up on that ;) Cried myself to sleep yesterday, and my friends betrayed me. Last exam. Summer vacation is about to start. Frick my life.

Reply

Sunny 🌼
14:31 Apr 08, 2021

awwwww man, that sucks. I hope you're feeling a little bit better. If your friends betrayed you, that just means they never were your friends. It's probably gonna be tough but I bet you can move on. i managed to do it when me and my friends split apart. the good news is that summer vacation is about to start right? so less school?

Reply

Sia S
14:32 Apr 08, 2021

Yes, it does :/ Yup, ik I've been betrayed 3-4 times lol. Yup! But it means boredom cuz covid ugh

Reply

Sunny 🌼
14:36 Apr 08, 2021

3-4 times?! dang those friends are toxic with a capital T. I'd try to forget them if I were you. Yeah summer vacation might get a little boring because of COVID, but at least it's not school.

Reply

Sia S
14:37 Apr 08, 2021

Hahahaha! No, lol diff groups of friends at diff ages loll :O yesss

Reply

Sunny 🌼
14:38 Apr 08, 2021

wow, seems like the friendship gods haven't really been on your side that much-

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:07 Apr 08, 2021

Can I just say how funny it is that Ethan and Celeste are involved romantically in my Reedsycast too? Thanks for including me! The characters and plot are great so far. And that cliffhanger makes me excited to know what happens next. One thing, though. There are a few instances where your dialogue doesn't end with punctuation. Here they are: “She’s been on a ramble about this thing back in COVID-19 times called ‘PopTarts’ for ages now. She insists it was the most amazing thing in the world and she wants to bake a replica of one with our hel...

Reply

12:27 Apr 08, 2021

I mean... of course, my dialouge doesn't end in punctuation, lol.

Reply

12:41 Apr 08, 2021

XDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
12:45 Apr 08, 2021

oh right they are romantically involved in Cornflowers or Roses! That's kinda funny. Yeah thanks a lot Annabelle, I really enjoyed writing your character!

Reply

12:57 Apr 08, 2021

Yeah. Np! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
06:45 Apr 08, 2021

Wow! I absolutely loved this Sarah! <33 thanks so much for including me, sis Btw, I have anxiety and boring stuff, too sooo I'm here to talk, okay? Take me up on that.

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:42 Apr 08, 2021

1. Thanks so much! 2. Same goes for you too

Reply

Sia S
12:52 Apr 08, 2021

:)) Of course.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:08 Apr 09, 2021

Wow, that was awesome! I'm literally almost reading every story with a reedsy cast (trying to write one) but tis was one terrific intro! Happy today!

Reply

Show 0 replies
12:26 Apr 08, 2021

Okay... can I just say that um YOU DO NOT PLUCK A CHORD!!!! lol. Also... why are we going from a c chord to a d chord? C what? Major? Sorry, lol. Ap exam is coming up and my brain is hardwired toward grammar (but like... hypocrisy) and doing music right. Okay... but actually? This reminds me of a story I scrapped around a year ago about covid... and you definitely did it MUCH better. Also, Celeste and I? Lol... I mean we have the perfect tsundere dynamic but like efyuaiwodbefhiduwoj lol.

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:44 Apr 08, 2021

YEAH IK I DON'T PLAY GUITAR/UKELELE I PLAY PIANO! I KINDA JUST WENT OFF FROM WHAT MY DAD SAYS WHEN HE PLAYS GUITAR SORRY- I'm glad you enjoyed it...? Tbh I didn't really see you and Celeste coming either but then I looked at the form and the characters and the whole thing kinda just locked into place. Literally EVERYONE (except like 2 people) chose "romantic interest" on the doc so I had to do something about that.

Reply

12:51 Apr 08, 2021

Lol, it's okay. I did enjoy it.. I mean yeah everyone always chooses romantic interest... and I'm like one of the only guys... so I'm not exactly surprised, lol

Reply

Sunny 🌼
12:53 Apr 08, 2021

yup- my two other ships are probably gonna be GL since there are still 4 others who chose romance and they're all girls. So that'll be fun at least.

Reply

13:08 Apr 08, 2021

LOl yeah, I had to deal with that too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
03:10 Apr 08, 2021

WOOOOOOO-HOO! (Can you tell I'm excited about this?) Characterrrrrrrs Aniyah- Annabelle Nainika- Nainika Gupta (kinda obvious lol) Celeste- Celeste (also obvious) Ethan- Ethan Avacas (I believe that's how it's spelled-) Astrid- Sia Sharma Mara- None other than moi (Mara is basically irl me just trauma, more anxiety, and not talking as much) I think that's it! Hope you guys enjoyed it! I'll try and introduce one character per part while also moving the story along. Expect aDvEnTuRe and chaos from this point forward!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.