195 comments

Fantasy Adventure Coming of Age

Hi everyone! This is a collab I'm doing with B.W.! This was really fun to make! Make sure to check out her part! Link is in my comment!


~~~


β€œSweetie, I’d like you to meet Eir,” my mom said, as I came out of the house. There was a girl, no older than me, biting her lip while waiting outside her car. She had short, jet-black hair, and very pale skin. She had bright, purple eyes, with a glint of mischief in them.


Quite a contrast to me, with long, blonde hair, and tanned skin. My eyes were a jade green, which I always thought complimented my beaming smile everyone loved.


Her parents were good friends of my parents, and they visited often, so I was kind of surprised to find out they had a daughter years later.


Of course, the people closest to you always surprise you.


I’ve always been a social kid, so I immediately walked up to her, β€œHi! I’m Arcadia! You can call me Ari!” I flashed the smile I always wore.


She looked at me, β€œEir.”


β€œWant to come inside? We could play a board game, or maybe we could-”


β€œA board game sounds fun,” she said quickly, β€œWhat do you have?”


β€œLet’s go inside and look!” I say, gesturing her in. She seemed a bit shy.


We headed inside my house, and ran upstairs. She was looking around a bit, but mainly said nothing to herself.


β€œSo, we have Crazy Mages, Notorious Wizard, Monopoly: Witches and Wizards version, Candy Land: IRL-”


β€œWait, you have a Notorious Wizard? That’s my favorite game!” she said, smiling.


β€œMine too!” I smiled back. I took the board game out, knowing we were going to be friends.


~~~


We’ve known each other for a year now, and were still very close. We’d walk to school together, do homework together, study together, practice magic together, almost everything we did was together.


Eir has always looked the same. Her short, black hair, her eyes always seemed to glow, as if she knew a secret.


Since we’re fourteen, we’ve started to compete in school, from grades, to our magical abilities. Since we have the same dream to become a mage, it’s always, β€œYou’re better at me at this!”, or β€œYou always beat me at that!”


Now, today, is a special day. Today we have this huge exam, which determines which school we head to. There are three schools we can head to. Helen High, which you head to when you get a low score. Normally if you get it, you don’t end up becoming a mage, and tend to become maids, garbage collectors, poorly paid teachers, and other small jobs. The second school you can get into is Auspicious Academy, which you go to when you get an average score. You can become a mage when attending this school, but it is very hard to. You end up becoming a high-paid tutor/teacher, and other jobs with an average pay-grade. The last school is Mage Institution, where all the best mages come from. If I got in, I could pursue my dream of being a mage! I had to do well on this test!


β€œI don’t get why everyone’s so nervous about this test,” said Eir, β€œNot everyone’s going to get a good score.”


β€œEir, I don’t get why you aren’t nervous!” I exclaim, β€œThis test determines our whole future! It’s bound to be a little nerve-wracking.”


β€œNot really, I know I’m going to fail anyways.”


β€œYou’re going to get it! I know it!”


β€œDon’t lie to me,” she shoves me, β€œYou’re the best student in this whole school, and all the grades I get range from C’s and D’s. If I didn’t fail, I’d be surprised.” I flinched at her tone. β€œBesides, you’re better at me at everything, so you’re going to get in. Even though it was my dream first, you’ve beaten me at everything. I have no chance at achieving my dream, not when you’re going to beat me there.” She scowled.


It was true, it had been her dream long before I met her. It only became my dream six months ago. It made sense why she was a little upset, but I knew she was going to get in, no matter what.


β€œLook,” I say, reaching for her shoulder. She shoves away.


β€œDon’t bother. I’m just being over-reactive, that’s all.” she muttered, and walked into the school building, rain soaking her black hair.


~~~


The results came the next day, posted on the wall.


I ran there first, running my finger on the list, looking for my name. Then I saw it.


I got in! I could become a mage! I even had the best grade in the class!


Eri came next. She looked at the list, skipping every line or so. All of a sudden, her eyes filled with tears, as she ran away. I looked at where she stopped.


Eir H - Class 6 - Helen High - D+


I ran from the crowd after Eir.


~~~


β€œEir!” I shouted, across the courtyard, β€œWhere are you going?!”


β€œAway from this stupid school, and you!”


I froze, β€œW-what?”


She stopped, and looked at me, glaring back with malice, β€œYou stole my life. I wanted to become a mage first. But then you decided you were too good to be a teacher, and decided to become a mage too! Then you get good grades, making me stress out to get good grades too, until the point I can’t do a test without failing! Everyones hates me, everyone loves you. You’re pretty, you’re smart, you’re social, you’re popular, and you’re going to an amazing school. Here I am, ugly as a rat, the worst student in this school, anti-social, practically invisible to everyone, and going to the worst school. So don’t, β€˜Eir’ me. This is all. Your. Fault.” I watched her run into the forest, tears slipping down my face.


~~~


I hadn’t seen Eir, nor heard of her in four years.


The last time I saw her, she was angry and hurt.


Now, we’re eighteen. Will we see each other again?


I shoved this thought as I walked into the office.


β€œWe have a situation,” said Mr. Everglow. He assigned everyone against another mage, one that has broken the rules. From murder, to stealing, to even just going out the boarders without a proper pass, we’d be called on to help out. Kind of like a magical police force. Finally, I thought, After years of training, I might be able to help around this city.


β€œWe have located who stole the Gem of Dalewood. Arcadia, you’ll be tracking her down. You need to take the talisman from her, no matter how brutal you have to be.” I shivered. How brutal would the battle be? What would happen if I failed?


Don’t be ridiculous, I thought, You got this. You’re the best student here. This should be a piece of cake.


After Mr. Everglow gave me a few more details, I went to go get my wand and cape. I reached into my locker and grabbed the wooden, overgrown wands, and slipped the emerald green cape onto my back. I was ready.


Let’s make this quick.


Using an advanced spell I had found in a textbook, I recited the incantation as I thought of the forest the thief was in.


~~~


I walked through the forest until I reached a clearing, surrounded by tall stones. About eight of them. It was like a magic circle.


Maybe this is where the gem was, I thought.


A shadow came from the rock. I turn around, pointing my wand towards her. I froze.


Eir looked about the same, except her eyes were glowing bright purple. It felt unnatural, magical even. I noticed this necklace on her, with a purple pendant. I looked closer to see it was the Gem of Dalewood. If someone wears it in the form of a necklace, it cannot be removed.


So I have to kill her. Or she'll kill me.


"Well, well, well," she said with a sneer, "What do we have here?"


"Eir? You stole the gem?" I asked.


"You took my life." She said with a chill, "I just took what was rightfully mine."


"Not surprised you took it. You were always a thief. It just took you leaving for me to see it."


"I'm not the bad one here. Since when have I done something right in our lives?"


I was quiet, "If you really wanted to change, then you shouldn't have stolen it."


"I had no choice. So don't make this any harder for me." She reached her hand to the necklace, and pointed her other finger towards me.


It was now or never.


January 05, 2021 23:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

195 comments

B. W.
16:40 Feb 21, 2021

new thread? and I still kind of have writers block, could you maybe give me some suggestions or something on what to do again?

Reply

Sure! I normally go do something else, and wait for ideas to hit me. Sometimes I try to pinpoint why I'm stuck (e.g, character has no motive for doing this) Then I either ask someone else (like a sibling or a friend) what they would do in the character's shoes, or some other similar question that could give you ideas.

Reply

B. W.
23:44 Feb 21, 2021

Do ya think still listening to some music could help me with it? I've always done that mostly, or the ideas just pop into my mind at like 3am or something :/

Reply

Yea, that also works for me

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:40 Feb 17, 2021

New thread?

Reply

B. W.
23:04 Feb 17, 2021

So random question, whats one of your favorite shows or movies?

Reply

Stranger Things, it's really good!

Reply

B. W.
23:32 Feb 17, 2021

How many seasons does it have and where can I watch it?

Reply

It has 3 seasons (Season 4 is in production though), and you can watch it on Netflix as far as I know.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:55 Feb 08, 2021

Hey so how are you doing today?

Reply

Mm pretty good, you?

Reply

B. W.
17:30 Feb 08, 2021

I guess I'm fine, what do you think of the prompts?

Reply

I think they're pretty good! I actually posted a new story with them ^^ Plus what I wrote is a scene for a novel I've started writing. What about you?

Reply

B. W.
20:09 Feb 08, 2021

I don't really like them that much :/ And your writing a novel? whats it about?

Reply

Ahh ok! It's basically about this girl who was born into a royal family, but there was this law that basically prevented her from people knowing about her. Her sister gets murdered (idk if the killer is going to be canon or not), so the main character is now the new princess. But she doesn't like the royal life so she runs away into a forest, and finds this magical being (or something like that), which is evil. But the magical being controls her and I haven't gotten this far so-

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:32 Jan 31, 2021

new thread?

Reply

Show 1 reply
B. W.
17:59 Jan 26, 2021

I got a new story out ^^ could you check out "Daughter of Zeus" and leave some feedback?

Reply

B. W.
20:52 Jan 26, 2021

Thanks ^^

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:30 Jan 24, 2021

new thread?

Reply

B. W.
05:01 Jan 25, 2021

So, how are ya today?

Reply

B. W.
17:54 Jan 25, 2021

Still just really tired and bored :/

Reply

Ahh ok, have you started your story yet?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:18 Jan 19, 2021

new thread?

Reply

B. W.
18:19 Jan 19, 2021

so how are you doing?

Reply

B. W.
21:35 Jan 19, 2021

I guess I'm fine, though still bored and tired

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
08:17 Jan 15, 2021

I would suggest you read my story "Be mature". And after reading my message please make a decision to support me or not.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:26 Jan 06, 2021

Its out :D

Reply

B. W.
02:27 Jan 06, 2021

Check it out and leave some feedback ^^

Reply

B. W.
03:11 Jan 06, 2021

thanks :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:54 Jan 06, 2021

I think this was great ^^ though I'm a bit worried about my part. I was thinking of doing part of it where she decides to steal it and all that, then go back into the present with the two of them and a few other things I wont say. Though I'm not sure if that's good and how to do or explain the bit of magic she'll do before she gets it and after she gets it.

Reply

No I think that's a great idea! I tried to leave some open girls so your part can fill them in

Reply

B. W.
01:11 Jan 06, 2021

Open girls?

Reply

Sorry type πŸ˜… (I meant open holes

Reply

B. W.
01:27 Jan 06, 2021

How did you come up with the name for your character?

Reply

I just searched up magical girl names, and that one popped up, so I decided to use it. I tend to search up a lot of names for my stories because I'm uncreative :')

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

wowEEEEEEEE! great job, a classic crime story with a twist at the end :D also, I got downvoted earlier, wanna have an upvote spree? i also love your profile pic 😊 GO COOKIIE! (can i call you that?) ~ Amethyst

Reply

Lol thanks! 1. Upvote spree let's go 😎 2. Yea ofc! :D

Reply

Hehe JUST finished :P

Reply

THANK YOU SO MUCHHHHH i went in the shower but IM BACK

Reply

got you to 600 CONGRATSSS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
03:16 Apr 13, 2021

wow! I wish there was a continuation tho, this is soooo good! This 'Eir' sounds both mysterious and awesome lol (i think my dark humor just said that...) anyway, nice details, the feud was priceless :)

Reply

TJ Squared
16:42 Apr 13, 2021

np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:08 Jan 15, 2021

New thread?

Reply

B. W.
20:58 Jan 15, 2021

So what do ya wanna talk about now?

Reply

Mm idk, how's your week been?

Reply

B. W.
03:57 Jan 16, 2021

Not that good I guess, what about yours?

Reply

Average, I had a bunch of tests and final projects to turn in cause it's almost the end of the first half of the year, and I'm gonna be changing electives soon

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:31 Jan 09, 2021

new thread?

Reply

Sure! Btw I finished the drawing! I'll send the link to the form soon!

Reply

B. W.
20:40 Jan 09, 2021

You did??

Reply

Mhm! ^^ I'm surprised at how Freddy turned out, it went a lot better than I expected.

Reply

B. W.
22:30 Jan 09, 2021

And this would be your first time drawing something like him, right?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey everyone! A couple things: 1. I'm at 11 submissions (ik it's an odd number but my favorite numbers are 11 and 13 :P) 2. This is a collab with BW! Here is her part: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/75/submissions/48983/

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.