360 comments

Drama Horror Funny

Warning: blood and death.

*NOT A PART OF THE CHAMPIONS*


~Present Time~


I scream a bloodcurdling scream, enough to deafen the zombie if it still had eardrums. My communicator is twenty feet away and turned off, and my weapon is on the ground, forgotten, (crowbars and chainsaws work best) behind the rotting monster standing over me. 

“Wake up, Hazel, it’s just a dream,” I tell myself, knowing, fully and truly that it isn’t. The smell of decomposing bodies, the strange, guttural sounds, the way it awkwardly glides across the ground like a possessed toddler--I’ve seen these before. I’ve seen them too many times before. 

And I lie, weaponless, covered in open cuts, neck exposed, completely defenseless against the parasite-controlled former-human, her once-pretty face distorted in a permanent scream of death. 

I lean against the lockers of what was once the middle school, before the Epidemic took over and everyone with a drop of sense in their blood left America. 

“No,” I whisper. I was chosen by the United Armies for this! A teenager, strong, witty, able to fit in the small spaces zombies can’t stand. I was trained to combat these reanimated bodies, whacking the heads off the people I’d once known. 

But no, no, this wasn’t a dream. Even worse, the zombified woman leaning over me, mouth dripping with saliva and old blood (why must it always be blood?) was like me once.

She was a Zombie Hunter of the United Armies. 

 Or, she had been, before that wound on her arm was infected and she died, her body taken over by the dangerous parasite known simply as E-0t-W. (Who we nicknamed “endy”.) 

And the same thing was going to happen to me.

Bulletproof armor can’t hold against the invisible invaders that, for all I know, are riding through my bloodstream, attempting to stop my heart so E-0t-W could take control of my corpse. 

The zombie, her black hair still glossy even after being undead for several days now, has a face contorted into a forever scream--she died in pain. Her blue eyes are milky and sightless--good. I might be able to slip away, if not for the fact that I was cornered. 

I’m running out of options. I can’t touch her--her flesh is beginning to rot, which means she's the prime breeding ground for the germs that will infect me and make me like her. 

I slowly scoot away, trying to edge around the living dead. Unfortunately, despite being really slow and stupid in the movies, zombies are fast. Deadly fast. 

Suddenly, she lunges towards me with a screaming sound. Everything seems to slow down as her rotting, filthy fingers reach for my neck. That’s odd. Zombies go for the wounds: the blood, the cuts, the broken bones. Why would she--

Her grip is stronger than iron, her fingers as cold as ice. She crushes my throat with an inhuman strength, which is pretty believable, since she is no longer human. I try to scream, but no sound comes out. I can’t breathe! I CAN’T BREATHE! 

Her razor-sharp fingernails stab into my skin, a white-hot panic flooding my body. Blood runs down my neck as her clawlike fingernails force their way into my neck, the parasite controlling her knowing exactly where every artery and vein is, and how to pierce them, sending E-0t-W around my body. 

Once a zombie has their claws in you, you’re as good as undead.

The toxins in their blood, the germs in their rotted skin, the deadly parasite E-0t-W multiplying inside their decomposing organs… you can’t survive that. 

As she crushes my windpipe, fingernails digging in even deeper, I only have one thought on my mind:

I’m going to die. 

The young soldiers I was trained with will have to fight my dead body, awakened by the parasite that’s plagued America for the past five years, and who knows, maybe I’ll end up killing one of my friends. That is, if they aren’t in the same situation I am right now, or worse--already undead. 

The zombie lets go.

I slump to the ground, dazed and scared. I’ve already been touched by her, and she’s already gotten her germs and parasites into my bloodstream, so why not keep on going? I’ve seen chewed-up zombies, half-eaten by the time E-0t-W takes over their systems. Maybe she isn’t hungry for human flesh. Maybe her parasite just died. Maybe--

With a sound like the Wicked Witch of the West’s cackle, the zombie lunges at me, her razor-sharp nails slashing across my throat. I fall to the ground, warm, red blood pouring down my neck and pooling on the floor.

There’s no surviving this. 

I’ll die in a few seconds, E-0t-W taking control of my body. At least I believe in Heaven. Then I won’t have to worry about getting stuck as a ghost, forever haunting the place I swore to protect. 

I can’t feel any pain, just a giddy surge of joy. From my sideways viewpoint, lying on the ground, I can see wisps of my red hair and a puddle of my crimson blood, as well as one hand, lifelessly lying on the linoleum floor. 

As blood bubbles out of the slash in my neck, I know I don’t have any more time. I’m dying, with seconds to live. 

Goodbye, Maria. 

Goodbye, Alex.

Goodbye, Andre

Goodbye, Jaylee. 

Goodbye, Em. 

Goodbye, Rhiannon.

I’m sorry I failed you, I think, wishing I could telepathically communicate to my friends, in different, zombie-infested towns all around the Land of the Free. 

I open my mouth, blood rising in my throat. 

“G-goodbye, guys… s-sorry I… failed you,” I say, blood leaking out of my mouth. 

“Long… live… the United A-armies….”

My eyes flutter closed as my heartbeat slows.

Beat.

Beat.

Nothing. 

I’m dead. 




~One month ago~


“Cadet Lee!” the commander barks. I bow--an odd habit for a modern army, I know. But the United Army, the group of people who swore to eliminate the zombies and E-0t-W, are from all over the world. We have adapted to customs from every country, which makes us a unique force. The problem is, zombies are also a unique force. They can't be killed and they’re controlled by a deadly parasite. 

“CADET LEE!”

“Sorry, Ma’am,” I say, bowing again. The commander is a strict woman, both bark and bite. 

“I called you here because your rankings have come in,” she says. 

“What are they?” I ask. “Uh, Ma’am.”

“You have been chosen to be an Elite. You’re going to the hotspots, Cadet Lee. Your overall skill levels are superior to most of your fellow cadets. You’re being deployed to Everly, California.”

“Every? As in…”

“Yes. the palace where E-0t-W first was discovered. Your hometown, I presume.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“You will be going in three days. Keep in mind that you are going alone--hordes of zombie fighters is seldom a good idea. Let’s hope you remember how to put on your armor by yourself, unlike last time.”

Oof. my previous deployment… well, it didn’t go so well. I nearly died! 

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Zombies are also a problem in the wilderness, and since Everly is very close to the woods, in which zombie animals are becoming a serious problem, your friend Cadet Williams will also be deployed to the area. She ranked in at Experienced, so she can handle animals, but not undead armies of former-humans.”

“Oh.”

“If you need backup, or she needs backup, you will be provided with a long-range, almost-indestructible communicator, set to the California base and cadet Williams’s numbers.”

“That’s good, Ma’am.”

“Do not call them unless it is a serious emergency, though. Even the brightest of recruits should not call for backup every other second.”

I called for backup ten times during that other mission. Not my finest moment.

“Prepare yourself, Cadet Lee. You leave in three days.”

“Yes Ma’am.” I bow. 



~Four years ago~


“So, Mrs Hazel Lee, it appears that you are an orphan?” The man peered through his large glasses at my weathered papers, the documents that gave me the life I’d lived. 

“Yes, sir,” I say, clutching my bag. It holds mementos of my parents, before E-0t-W was released in Everly. Before everything. 

“Who is your legal guardian? I don’t see one listed.”

“The United Forces. And also Miss Stacy. She takes care of me since the orphanages are full.” 

“Oh. Well,” he tapped the papers on the desk to straighten them. “Miss Lee, it seems you don’t belong in the safehold with all the other refugees.”

“No!” I scream. “Don’t throw me out with the zombies! It’s too scary! I won’t last a second out there!” 

I know my reaction was babyish, but I couldn’t. My arms were skinny like sticks, I was shy and nervous, and my only experience with zombies was something I’d never want to reenact. 

“I didn’t mean we were going to kick you out, miss Lee. I meant that… well, the United Army has openings for new recruits.”

“New recruits?”

“You could become a part of the United Army.”

“Ooh!”

“Yes. Instead of hiding, you could fight. You could help them restore the world to the way it was before E-0t-W.”

“I’d like to do that! But...would Miss Stacey like it?”

“I’m sure she would be proud of you.”

“I want to join the United Army!” I cheer. 

“Well, the commanders are coming by in three days. Many children wish to join, but you...well, if these school records are correct, you predicted how zombies would work and how to defeat them--real zombies, not horror-movie zombies.” 

“So I have a chance?”

“You have more than a chance, Hazel. You already understand zombies better than most adults.” 



~Two years ago~


“Hello, guys! Today I’m going to talk about zombies. Not movie zombies, but real life ones. I know it would be impossible, but here's what I know about them, or how they’d work if they were real.

One: zombies are not people but undead. Zombies are reanimated dead bodies. The stuff of the person--their soul, per se--is already gone. You can’t become a zombie until you’re dead. 


Two: Zombies wouldn’t burst from the grave. How could they be infected if they were underground? Also, they’d be so rotted they couldn’t dig out. 


Three: zombies wouldn’t just happen. They’d have to be controlled by a parasite. It would have to get into a dying or dead body--through the bloodstream, probably. Then it would have to multiply inside of the body, before taking control of the body’s basic systems. 


Four: A zombie controlled by this parasite wouldn’t just bite someone. The parasite would go for open wounds, so it could get inside. The zombie would be filthy, from all the rotting flesh and stuff, so the person could die from the germs and then get taken over. 

Five: Zombies wouldn’t go for brains. They might chew on non-zombies, to sustain themselves, but the parasite would want to spread, not eat brains. Seriously, brains? Just no. No brains. 


Thank you guys for listening to my talk on zombies! I like scary stuff like that, but I’m glad they aren’t real. Dead-body-controlling parasites? That’s so freaky! Luckily, zombies aren’t real and never will be.”




Note: each event is noted under how long ago it was before the previous.

One month before present time, Hazel was deployed to Everly.

Four years before that, she was recruited.

Two years before getting recruited, Hazel gave a class presentation on zombies.

thank you for reading!

April 16, 2021 15:41

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

360 comments

Chase .
19:54 Apr 26, 2021

Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:27 Apr 26, 2021

New story posted if you wanna check it out!! <333

Reply

09:45 Apr 26, 2021

Ok! Hey, I have a question. Can you make a totally blank document for me? Totally blank, send me the link. Thanks.

Reply

13:29 Apr 26, 2021

Lol oki-dokes!: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L588f5zmb5buFFsT5v8tsEXa17CdmwcRAwPMkuAw5UU/edit

Reply

00:26 Apr 27, 2021

thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:34 Apr 24, 2021

idk if you saw my message, but I'm not using pinterest anymore. Also, part 4 is out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lilliane Wei
20:18 Apr 22, 2021

Umm...Em? Just wanted to let you know that people can see your email on the doc if they look for it. I don't know if you know but I just wanted to let you know in case you wanted to keep it a secret.

Reply

12:16 Apr 25, 2021

Which doc? Hidden Gem? Oh my gosh, where? I made the link public and I don't want jsut anyone to be able to email me

Reply

Lilliane Wei
18:24 Apr 25, 2021

Any doc you share to everyone to edit will let anyone see your email. If you want, you can use the Skribbls doc, currently named Fandom. We use it to role play, to talk, and . . . talk. You're anonymous when you use this doc because it's run under my email. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnTO2_RBMf0A45gw38pgM6aXANTqhZIhDvSUHk0_gXo/edit Happy writing and I hope to see you there!

Reply

09:41 Apr 26, 2021

Thank you! I removed the old one since I don't want total strangers stumbling across it

Reply

Lilliane Wei
16:03 Apr 26, 2021

Np, happy to help!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Durnin
01:03 Apr 21, 2021

Hi! I found you through Sapphire because I’m a friend of Jay’s. Are they doing alright? Their bio is gone and their stories have been deleted. I don’t know if you have another way of contacting them or whatever, but I’m worried. Great story, by the way! And sorry for intruding.

Reply

14:25 Apr 21, 2021

OH NO! JAY OR SAPH? I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW! Jay almost left but Saph was still on last I checked.

Reply

Cassandra Durnin
14:43 Apr 21, 2021

Jay, but is Sapphire alright?

Reply

15:01 Apr 21, 2021

Saph's alright

Reply

Cassandra Durnin
15:04 Apr 21, 2021

That’s always good to hear!

Reply

19:09 Apr 21, 2021

yep! I'd love another story, though, it's been a while!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:40 Apr 21, 2021

Heyyy Em!

Reply

14:24 Apr 21, 2021

Hi! How are you?

Reply

14:47 Apr 21, 2021

Hi! Good lol, wbu?

Reply

15:01 Apr 21, 2021

Pinterest is being mean. It won't let me save 100 hiccup memes in one minute.

Reply

18:21 Apr 21, 2021

Pinterest stop bullying Em 😂😂😂

Reply

19:13 Apr 21, 2021

Oh wait, it likes it when I click each one individually instead of going "MY BELOVED TOOTHLESS" and clicking "save"

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:36 Apr 19, 2021

OOOH! Congrats on 1K+ points! :D

Reply

16:13 Apr 19, 2021

Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
17:14 Apr 18, 2021

Nice one, but I am always afraid of reading horror stuff

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cole Lane
14:41 Apr 18, 2021

This was awesome!! I love zombie stories anyway. The beginning (technically 'the end' (:-0) ) with the description of the horror still set in the face of the attacking zombie, the milky eyes! Traditionally you think zombies have to get a good chunk of you to infect you, but just knowing a simple drop of blood into an open would be your undoing, the tension is crazy! I sure wish Hazel was somehow immune to the virus (pt2), but that is probably an overplayed trope? :) Plus, she was pretty beat up lol.

Reply

16:43 Apr 19, 2021

~Yeah! I thought a backwards story would be cool, and I started with Hazel getting attacked by the zombie and ended with her talking about them and how she's glad they aren't real. ~Yep! Moaning 'brains' and being green just isn't creepy enough for me! ~I thought the same thing, but I felt like I should raise the tension and also make it so that people would get infected easily, because zombies wouldn't last for longer than a month or maybe 2, since they're basically walking corpses. I needed a way for the parasite to spread really quickl...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sam Ackman
14:39 Apr 18, 2021

I enjoyed this story. I don’t typically like zombies but this one was well done. I enjoyed that zombies are fast and you made me want to find out why the zombie was behaving oddly. Good story!

Reply

16:38 Apr 19, 2021

Thank you! I wanted to break the zombie steriotypes, so I came up with my own kind :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
21:19 Apr 17, 2021

This might be one of my favorite take on a zombie apocalypse!

Reply

11:03 Apr 18, 2021

Oh. Really? Thanks! I don't usually do zombie stuff, but I got the idea and couldn't let it go, so hehe :)

Reply

Angel {Readsy}
11:28 Apr 18, 2021

Did you read my story , your story is fantastic

Reply

11:28 Apr 18, 2021

Yes, I did!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:52 Apr 17, 2021

Is your profile picture character Mai Su from Next Gen???

Reply

11:01 Apr 18, 2021

Yep!

Reply

13:07 Apr 18, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:05 Apr 16, 2021

Huh. Sorry, looks like the other comment deleted? Weeeeeird... XD BUT IS YOUR PFP SUNNY AND QUEEN THORN??? :D

Reply

19:08 Apr 16, 2021

Huh... YESSSSS!

Reply

19:33 Apr 16, 2021

OOOOO! COOL!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:07 Apr 16, 2021

OH OH OH! Wait, is it... Uhm... Oh shoot, I know this. Um... Mai...something? Mai S... I know it starts with an S... Uh...? XD

Reply

20:28 Apr 16, 2021

Look it up

Reply

21:07 Apr 16, 2021

Mai Su! I think that’s her...maybe? I honestly have no idea XD

Reply

13:24 Apr 17, 2021

Yep!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Pippin Took
18:27 Apr 16, 2021

Hey Em! I love this story, it was so good.

Reply

18:57 Apr 16, 2021

Thank you! Was the beginning too weird? I've never killed off a main character before, so...

Reply

Pippin Took
20:07 Apr 16, 2021

No you did great! Killing off main characters sometimes has to happen *cough* Divergent *cough*

Reply

20:29 Apr 16, 2021

*cough* my story *cough*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:10 Apr 16, 2021

okay...normally...I would skip over this story because of the warning...but you did ask me to read it specifically...so here I am... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *a sound I make when idk what to say* This was nightmare material dude geez. it felt...TOO real...and my senses are spooked at every sound now... lkjhgfdfghjklkjhgfdfgbnm you have accomplished your mission of getting me jittery now so good job you. L.W.

Reply

18:54 Apr 16, 2021

Really? Oh my gosh I didn't know it was that scary. Sorry, Wolfie! (I mentally started calling you that) Sorry if this was too scary, but I wanted to go into a creepy-horror-sci-fi-weirdness genre. I don't even know how I wrote the beginning, since killing off a main character goes against my code of honor. But, yeah!

Reply

TJ Squared
18:58 Apr 16, 2021

plkjnbvfcdsdrftyujkjnhbgvfdswertyuikjhgfdswertyhjmnbvfcdswedfghjnbvfcdsedrftghj I don't really know what to say...I've tried to block it out like I usually do, but something about this wouldn't let me...idk :)

Reply

19:00 Apr 16, 2021

Yeah, I read it and think "what's going on?" Also throat-slashes=freaks me out.

Reply

TJ Squared
19:01 Apr 16, 2021

ikr me too

Reply

19:02 Apr 16, 2021

I can enver read them, but I wrote one :| ?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:44 Apr 16, 2021

THIS MAY BE A FEW DAYS LATE, BUT HAPPY BIRTHDAYYYYYYYYYY 🥳🥳🥳

Reply

18:52 Apr 16, 2021

Aww thank you soooo much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:02 Apr 16, 2021

This was an amazing story! I love the character, Hazel! You can clearly see her character development! And you gave a ton of descriptive details! Gj!

Reply

18:51 Apr 16, 2021

Thank you! It is kinda weird how it starts with her dying and ends with "zombies don't exist" but I had to fit the prompt somehow.

Reply

01:48 Apr 17, 2021

It's ok! It still flowed really smoothly!

Reply

13:26 Apr 17, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

02:39 Apr 18, 2021

Yw! :D

Reply

11:04 Apr 18, 2021

?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
💫 Sophia 💫
15:55 Apr 16, 2021

3 things: 1.I LOVED THIS SO MUCH OMG 2. I WROTE YOUR CHARACTERS STORY (or part of it lol) ANYWAY ITS POSTED! 3. I CAN'T THINK OF A 3rd BUT YEAH :D

Reply

15:55 Apr 16, 2021

I can't change my profile! It's stuck on Toothless :( he is really cute

Reply

💫 Sophia 💫
15:57 Apr 16, 2021

Oh no! He is very cute though.

Reply

15:58 Apr 16, 2021

Changed it! If you know who they are I'll be impressed. CRAZY IMPRESSED.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
05:46 Jun 16, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

18:54 Jun 16, 2021

Yay!

Reply

Unknown User
20:12 Jun 16, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

14:57 Jun 17, 2021

Ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:51 Jun 12, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

15:22 Jun 13, 2021

Ok! Hey, wanna do it on a river? So it fits the prompt?

Reply

Unknown User
19:49 Jun 13, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

23:42 Jun 14, 2021

Ok!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.