Contest #93 winner 🏆

279 comments

Contemporary Fiction

I wrap my fingers tightly around the clinging plastic of the trash bag, pull it open as wide as it’ll go, and watch him dump the remnants of our happiness into it.


His large arms twist and flex unnecessarily as he shovels extra hors d'oeuvres and scraps of entree into the bag. His upper lip is a thin white line, stretched tight below frowning eyes. 


The faint and smoky gleam of the first stars illuminates our dining room. The windows are open to the still air, mingling the scent of grass and dew with the smell of recently extinguished candles. Near-empty glasses of wine sit with little pools of ruby liquid congealing at the bottom. I examine the imprints on the glasses, pink half-moons where lips lingered, small smudges from restless fingers. 


I clear the table and he rinses the plates, loading my great-grandmother’s delicate china into the dishwasher with a force that makes me cringe. I say nothing but plan to return later and wash it all by hand.


Somewhere outside in the cool October air rings the plaintive, staccato song of an owl. 


Not long ago, I would have added my voice to the bird’s, smiling at the easy rhythm of the duet. But tonight, silence slices into the fading evening once more and I leave it to fester like an open wound.


He leans backwards against the kitchen counter, glass of amber-colored whiskey in his calloused hand. I feel his eyes follow me around the room as I continue tidying up, returning the candles to their places, piling the used cloth napkins near the hall that leads to the laundry room. The starlight catches on the folds of my satin dress as I move. I haven’t worn a dress in ages. It feels foreign, out of place against my skin.


“Some party,” he says.


I nod, barely meeting his sharp grey eyes.


“Surprised the Williamses came. I haven’t talked to George in ages.”


I shrug. “I ran into Melanie at the store the other day and reminded her.”


“Oh.” He runs his finger along the rim of his glass, staring at the chairs where George and Melanie sat only an hour earlier. “Did you see George at the store, too?”


“No, just Mel,” I reply lightly. 


He stands, leaves the kitchen, and plops himself into an armchair in the living room, whiskey still attached to his hand like glue. 


I glance away, my gaze lingering on the neat bookshelves in the corner where George and I had chuckled over our mutual dislike of Great Expectations, reminiscing about wrinkly Dr. Barnum’s English Lit course. As we spoke, I realized George hadn’t changed much since college; his eyes still held that idealistic sparkle that made us instant friends. I, on the other hand, have faded. Dulled. 


George was too polite to say anything, but I know he noticed.


“How long is your sister staying in town?” His voice is gravelly, starting to slur.


“Just until tomorrow afternoon. We were thinking of getting coffee together before she leaves.”


“You two didn’t talk much tonight,” he notes.


“No,” I reply, wiping the table slowly. “She’s been a bit reserved since the divorce.”


“That’s a shame. I liked Drew.”


“I didn’t,” I say quickly, feeling my blood heat in my cheeks as I think of the man’s infidelity, of how broken Sarah was when she called and told me everything. “I never did.”


He stills, musing and nursing the last of his whiskey. I watch the way it lingers on the fine line of his lips, which are pursed even more tightly together.


“We can leave the rest for tomorrow,” he says, gesturing at the last of the mess. “Come sit with me.”


I wipe down the last corner of the table, taking my time as I place the damp towel on the edge of the kitchen sink. I straighten the hem of my silvery dress, imagining for a moment that it is armor, cold and heavy and safe. 


When I approach, he pulls me onto his lap with one hand and rests his chin on my taut shoulder. His face is hot, burning against my skin.


“Happy anniversary,” he whispers, wrapping his free arm a little too tightly around my waist.


“Happy anniversary,” I reply. I watch the starlight glitter in the diamond on my finger, catch a glimpse of my dark eyes in the golden band.


I try to remember when we first met, years ago, back before this sour taste hung in the air between us. All that comes to me is dim figures, specters and stains of who we used to be. Me, young and bright, full of the effortless weight of possibility. Him, tall and smiling, overflowing with confident infatuation.


But I realize now that he’s always had a bitterness to him, hidden beneath a fine layer of cloying honey. And from the first time we kissed, we burned into one another like cheap vodka and called it love.


He tilts his head, leaning into the curve of my neck. His soft waves of hair tickle my chin. 


“You’d never hurt me, would you?” he asks. It’s more of a statement than a question, firm with a small lilt of uncertainty in the final fatal syllable. 


I turn a little, forcing him to lift his head from my shoulder and meet my eyes.


“Would you?” My voice is little more than a whisper.


He is silent. Somewhere in that vast, unspoken space between us lies the answer to every question. I stand, watching his fingers cling for a moment to my hip before falling away, his hand wilting like a lily too long removed from the sun.


The owl resumes its song and I cross the room to close the windows, shivering at the final gust of cold air. I see myself reflected in the glass, my face distorted by the angles of the windowpanes. His figure is little more than a streak of color in the reflection, distant and unremarkable.


I glance over at what’s left: the garbage bag in the corner, crumbs on the table, empty wine bottles on the counter and the last bubbles of dish soap in the sink. 


“I’ll take the trash out in the morning,” I say, and head to bed without looking back.

May 13, 2021 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

279 comments

Kelsey Mathias
21:43 Jun 07, 2021

My favorite line..."full of the effortless weight of possibility" This is a sad story, but told and retold every day, as couples everywhere check off another year together. Congratulations on your well-deserved win!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:24 Jun 07, 2021

Thank you so much Kelsey!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Smith
21:25 Jun 06, 2021

Silence can certainly convey the truth. This was a good story and it kept me drawing conclusions and I'm still wandering about them and their friends.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:25 Jun 07, 2021

Thanks much Shirley! Hearing that it left you wondering is the highest compliment I could ask for 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A.A Lawson
10:06 Jun 04, 2021

This was wonderful. I'd love to learn description from you.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:29 Jun 07, 2021

You’re too kind Abiye, thank you! One tip that someone gave me that’s helped me with description is to try to appeal to all five senses (hearing, sight, taste, touch, smell). As writers we often focus on what a person might see or hear, but adding in the other three senses makes a big difference. Reading a lot (prose and poetry) has helped me, too 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
14:38 Jun 01, 2021

Hello, Claire! This is an amazing story, and such a deserved win. I think an author named Aaron Haris has copied your story, though. https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/95/submissions/68945/ That's the link. I'm not sure if you want to say anything, but I thought I should tell you.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
14:55 Jun 01, 2021

Hi Ana, thank you for letting me know! Looks like I’m not the only one. I’ll look into reporting the account. Thanks again 😊

Reply

Claudia Morgan
14:57 Jun 01, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
05:32 Jun 01, 2021

This is really phenomenal. I'm trying to take inspiration from stories like these that are just about tiny moments- not anything momentous, just a little exploration of a scene. With excellent writing you can build a whole story around "a couple with a tense relationship clean up from a party." I love how much meaning you get from even their short, stinted conversations, like when the husband said he liked the guy and she said she didn't. The imagery is awesome: the dress, the lipstick prints on the wine glasses. This was just masterful. Con...

Reply

Claire Lindsey
13:02 Jun 01, 2021

I like to think the most interesting bits of life happen in those tiny moments, the little things that lead us to big moments. Thank you for the read and the insightful comment Rachel 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eric D.
22:37 May 29, 2021

"His upper lip is a thin white line, stretched tight below frowning eyes" I never thought to give mouth expressions to eyes it's like reading poetry the usage of language is just... 👏🏼

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:33 May 31, 2021

Thank you Eric! I’ve been reading a lot of poetry lately and it’s made for some unexpected lines in my own writing 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tobias Eek
15:17 May 29, 2021

Hello Claire! I really enjoyed this story. I would like to talk to you about turning this into a short film. I dont see a message function on this website, but do you perhaps have an email or some other platform i could reach you on? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Redd Herring
15:09 May 28, 2021

Congrats and great work! This, to me, has a lot woven down deep between the lines. I can see years of pain, regret even, without you having to describe it.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:26 May 31, 2021

Thank you! It’s been so humbling to read people’s interpretations and see the story take on a life of its own 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
10:54 May 28, 2021

You won, it is really pleasant to know I am really impressed by reading such a master piece by such a legend scholars,

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:24 May 29, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
R Vairagi
03:17 May 28, 2021

"unspoken space between us lies the answer to every question" my favorite part. Those are feelings more than words.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:24 May 29, 2021

I’m glad to hear that line resonated with you! Thanks for the read and kind comment

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julianne Baldiga
18:49 May 27, 2021

I love your description of the dress being steel, heavy and safe.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:25 May 29, 2021

Thank you Julianne!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frank Lester
16:22 May 27, 2021

Exceptionally written. A deserving win. Thanks for sharing your work. Stay well.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:25 May 29, 2021

Thank you for the kind comment, Frank! All the best 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ishita Nigam
15:12 May 27, 2021

There just couldn't be a more deserving story. It flowed like a poem. From "pools of ruby liquid", "pink half-moons" to "we burned into one another like cheap vodka and called it love", I am awed and highly inspired! Would love to have you critique some of my work, please! I hope to write such a beautiful piece one day. And hearty congratulations on the win! It was very well deserved.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
15:20 May 27, 2021

Hi Ishita, thank you so much! I’d be happy to take a look at your work, is there a specific story you’d like me to read?

Reply

Ishita Nigam
08:45 May 28, 2021

Hi Claire, You can read the recent most story I published 'Nurture' here https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/94/submissions/68232/ Look forward to your comments! Thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Christina Marie
20:42 May 26, 2021

Claire! Congratulations, this was so so wonderful! I've been offline for a while, and was so happy to see you at the top of the featured stories today when I popped in! This is well crafted and incredibly evocative. A well deserved win!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
15:07 May 27, 2021

Christina! I’ve missed you!! Thank you so much, I honestly wasn’t expecting much to come of this one but I’m excited about a win 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Murdoch
14:50 May 26, 2021

and then????

Reply

Claire Lindsey
15:14 May 27, 2021

I almost made it longer to answer that question but I loved that last line too much haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Fezan Javed
05:37 May 26, 2021

An engrossing tale of a love gone stale, "What's Left" had me reeled in from the get-go! They say great fiction doesn't merely describe rain but the sensation of being rained upon. And that is how this story's imagery can be described! Thematics and character interiority are skilfully embedded into the lovely and vivid descriptions. "What's Left" achieved what fiction is supposed to achieve: it teleported my mind out of my skull and into the lives of other human beings. A delightful read! Bravo, Claire!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
15:18 May 27, 2021

I’d like to frame this comment, it absolutely made my day haha! Thank you for reading Fezan, I’m delighted that you enjoyed it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:35 May 25, 2021

There are so many fabulous lines in this story! And to come up with such a beautifully written story in such a short time. I loved it.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
15:20 May 27, 2021

Thank you Trina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kaylee McClernan
20:44 May 25, 2021

i wanted to know what happens lol why there was so much tension this piece keeps you holding on.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:19 May 25, 2021

Thanks Kaylee! I may have had too much fun toying with the tension in this one lol

Reply

Kaylee McClernan
23:23 May 25, 2021

thats ok i loved it you right really good stories i really wanted to know what happened keep up the amazing work im looking forward to reading more

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kaylee McClernan
23:23 May 25, 2021

thats ok i loved it you right really good stories i really wanted to know what happened keep up the amazing work im looking forward to reading more

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kaylee McClernan
23:23 May 25, 2021

thats ok i loved it you right really good stories i really wanted to know what happened keep up the amazing work im looking forward to reading more

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 31 replies
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
18:43 May 25, 2021

Hey Claire! I've seen you around, congrats on your first win! I just love the incorporation of the owl and its quiet meaning; it reinforces the sad-but-sweet theme of the piece. Deserved win!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:32 May 25, 2021

Thank you so much Zilla, your encouragement means a lot!! The addition of the owl was partly inspired by one of your prose poems from a while back. Funny how certain images stick around for so long!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:03 May 25, 2021

An awesome story very much a deserved win!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
22:32 May 25, 2021

Thank you Leila!

Reply

15:54 May 26, 2021

Np! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.