Contest #93 winner 🏆

279 comments

Contemporary Fiction

I wrap my fingers tightly around the clinging plastic of the trash bag, pull it open as wide as it’ll go, and watch him dump the remnants of our happiness into it.


His large arms twist and flex unnecessarily as he shovels extra hors d'oeuvres and scraps of entree into the bag. His upper lip is a thin white line, stretched tight below frowning eyes. 


The faint and smoky gleam of the first stars illuminates our dining room. The windows are open to the still air, mingling the scent of grass and dew with the smell of recently extinguished candles. Near-empty glasses of wine sit with little pools of ruby liquid congealing at the bottom. I examine the imprints on the glasses, pink half-moons where lips lingered, small smudges from restless fingers. 


I clear the table and he rinses the plates, loading my great-grandmother’s delicate china into the dishwasher with a force that makes me cringe. I say nothing but plan to return later and wash it all by hand.


Somewhere outside in the cool October air rings the plaintive, staccato song of an owl. 


Not long ago, I would have added my voice to the bird’s, smiling at the easy rhythm of the duet. But tonight, silence slices into the fading evening once more and I leave it to fester like an open wound.


He leans backwards against the kitchen counter, glass of amber-colored whiskey in his calloused hand. I feel his eyes follow me around the room as I continue tidying up, returning the candles to their places, piling the used cloth napkins near the hall that leads to the laundry room. The starlight catches on the folds of my satin dress as I move. I haven’t worn a dress in ages. It feels foreign, out of place against my skin.


“Some party,” he says.


I nod, barely meeting his sharp grey eyes.


“Surprised the Williamses came. I haven’t talked to George in ages.”


I shrug. “I ran into Melanie at the store the other day and reminded her.”


“Oh.” He runs his finger along the rim of his glass, staring at the chairs where George and Melanie sat only an hour earlier. “Did you see George at the store, too?”


“No, just Mel,” I reply lightly. 


He stands, leaves the kitchen, and plops himself into an armchair in the living room, whiskey still attached to his hand like glue. 


I glance away, my gaze lingering on the neat bookshelves in the corner where George and I had chuckled over our mutual dislike of Great Expectations, reminiscing about wrinkly Dr. Barnum’s English Lit course. As we spoke, I realized George hadn’t changed much since college; his eyes still held that idealistic sparkle that made us instant friends. I, on the other hand, have faded. Dulled. 


George was too polite to say anything, but I know he noticed.


“How long is your sister staying in town?” His voice is gravelly, starting to slur.


“Just until tomorrow afternoon. We were thinking of getting coffee together before she leaves.”


“You two didn’t talk much tonight,” he notes.


“No,” I reply, wiping the table slowly. “She’s been a bit reserved since the divorce.”


“That’s a shame. I liked Drew.”


“I didn’t,” I say quickly, feeling my blood heat in my cheeks as I think of the man’s infidelity, of how broken Sarah was when she called and told me everything. “I never did.”


He stills, musing and nursing the last of his whiskey. I watch the way it lingers on the fine line of his lips, which are pursed even more tightly together.


“We can leave the rest for tomorrow,” he says, gesturing at the last of the mess. “Come sit with me.”


I wipe down the last corner of the table, taking my time as I place the damp towel on the edge of the kitchen sink. I straighten the hem of my silvery dress, imagining for a moment that it is armor, cold and heavy and safe. 


When I approach, he pulls me onto his lap with one hand and rests his chin on my taut shoulder. His face is hot, burning against my skin.


“Happy anniversary,” he whispers, wrapping his free arm a little too tightly around my waist.


“Happy anniversary,” I reply. I watch the starlight glitter in the diamond on my finger, catch a glimpse of my dark eyes in the golden band.


I try to remember when we first met, years ago, back before this sour taste hung in the air between us. All that comes to me is dim figures, specters and stains of who we used to be. Me, young and bright, full of the effortless weight of possibility. Him, tall and smiling, overflowing with confident infatuation.


But I realize now that he’s always had a bitterness to him, hidden beneath a fine layer of cloying honey. And from the first time we kissed, we burned into one another like cheap vodka and called it love.


He tilts his head, leaning into the curve of my neck. His soft waves of hair tickle my chin. 


“You’d never hurt me, would you?” he asks. It’s more of a statement than a question, firm with a small lilt of uncertainty in the final fatal syllable. 


I turn a little, forcing him to lift his head from my shoulder and meet my eyes.


“Would you?” My voice is little more than a whisper.


He is silent. Somewhere in that vast, unspoken space between us lies the answer to every question. I stand, watching his fingers cling for a moment to my hip before falling away, his hand wilting like a lily too long removed from the sun.


The owl resumes its song and I cross the room to close the windows, shivering at the final gust of cold air. I see myself reflected in the glass, my face distorted by the angles of the windowpanes. His figure is little more than a streak of color in the reflection, distant and unremarkable.


I glance over at what’s left: the garbage bag in the corner, crumbs on the table, empty wine bottles on the counter and the last bubbles of dish soap in the sink. 


“I’ll take the trash out in the morning,” I say, and head to bed without looking back.

May 13, 2021 20:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

279 comments

Susan Lumiere
21:19 May 21, 2021

Outstanding prose. I’m a published writer of satire, humor, some serious commentary and some imaginative stuff but not fiction per se. Your piece was evocative and poetic. I could so relate to the wife in the story. A lot of depth and feeling were expressed. Congratulations on a well-deserved prize. I will look for more of your work.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:46 May 21, 2021

Hi Susan! I certainly couldn’t shake a stick at satire or humor, I’ve always been a tiny bit jealous of people who can write in those genres haha. Thanks for the lovely comment 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:45 May 21, 2021

Liked the double meaning in everything, including the title. I had to scroll back through it to confirm the story is really as short as it is because I was so captivated by the scene. Congratulations on winning!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:47 May 21, 2021

Thank you Gip! I’m so glad you enjoyed it 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Safaa Ismail
20:16 May 21, 2021

Great job Claire! Your descriptions are just beautifully written. This is what I would call written art, because it literally looks like you weaves together words artfully. And the whole theme(if that makes sense)just adds to the party-cleanup. Overall, great job! Definitely deserved the win!

Reply

Safaa Ismail
20:37 May 21, 2021

Also, you don’t have to, but I would love if you could check out my first story!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:47 May 21, 2021

Thank you for a lovely comment, Safaa! I’d be happy to check out your work 😊

Reply

Safaa Ismail
15:23 May 22, 2021

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Safaa Ismail
15:23 May 22, 2021

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Safaa Ismail
15:24 May 22, 2021

Thank you for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharon Marcus
19:49 May 21, 2021

Nice. Great descriptions. Congratulations!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:48 May 21, 2021

Thank you Sharon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Storbakken
19:42 May 21, 2021

Very effective. Love the elements. Descriptive, down to the countertops and leftovers. What a great story!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:48 May 21, 2021

Thank you, James!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sam Ackman
19:11 May 21, 2021

Congrats on the short list!! This is a really great read. I love how you didn’t specify the background but I had a bad feeling the whole time reading.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:49 May 21, 2021

That’s exactly what I was going for, Sam! I’m happy to hear that the “something’s off” feeling came through well 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Allie Miner
19:06 May 21, 2021

This was good, i hope i get this good in writing i'm 13 and making my way up there, but this was good. :) i loved it. Honestly though i can't do the words you write i have no clue what any of that means. But still it was great, kept me going. :) good story Claire!!!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:59 May 21, 2021

Hi Allie! You’re so sweet, thank you 😊 I started writing when I was just a little younger than you. The best part about writing (at least for me) is there’s always room to grow. Your writer’s voice is constantly changing as you change. Keep writing, challenge yourself, and read a lot! Best wishes 💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
18:13 May 21, 2021

Wow. Short and sweet and perfectly done! Good job.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
23:59 May 21, 2021

Thank you Echo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pamela Zero
18:05 May 21, 2021

What a lovely story. I know that's an odd choice of words, but it's beautifully crafted. I'm fully immersed. I really love the unspoken tension that rings through the whole piece. There are anchors that snag at me here and there and remind me of my own life. Really effective writing. Thanks for letting us read it.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:02 May 22, 2021

Thank you for the kind comment, Pamela! Also, I firmly believe that “lovely” is an underused word, it always makes me smile 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:12 May 21, 2021

I absolutely understand and appreciate why this story is a winner! What beautiful use of the senses, metaphor, the skill of showing rather than telling. I am a newbie, and this example teaches me so much! Congratulations, and thank you!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:03 May 22, 2021

Thank you so much, Victoria, and welcome to Reedsy 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nooi Lili
16:48 May 21, 2021

I see why this story is a win. It totally deserved it. With all the imagery and up to the moment scenary, I really enjoyed it, the author really put some thought into this story. Congrats, Claire.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:03 May 22, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Nice story! Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:03 May 22, 2021

Thank you Kate!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
16:12 May 21, 2021

Great story Claire, congrats for the win :))

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:03 May 22, 2021

Thank you Palak!

Reply

Palak Shah
10:14 May 22, 2021

:))))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laura Austin
16:06 May 21, 2021

I knew after reading the first sentence that it was a winning story. Very well written. I do have a question. Who asked the final question? It says "he asked" but when she turned and said "would you?" I wasn't clear. I liked it either way, just clarifying.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:06 May 22, 2021

Hi Laura, thanks for the comment! And great question, the last “would you?” is meant to be the narrator speaking. I got a little bored writing “he asked, I asked” etc. but I can see how changing it up there could be off-putting

Reply

Laura Austin
19:44 May 26, 2021

It wasn't off putting at all! I go through the same thing but I switch it up by changing "he asked" to "he wondered" or "he questioned". That way you are saying the same thing but wording it differently. If I had a story about someone saying he was the best at baseball, I might would write '"I'm the best", he bragged' instead of saying "he said" over and over in a story. Also, sometimes you don't have to say anything after the dialogue. Sometimes as long as it is obvious who is speaking you can just end it with the quotation marks. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:51 May 21, 2021

Congratulations on the win! So well deserved. Great job!!

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:09 May 22, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

00:50 May 22, 2021

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jennifer Wyatt
15:24 May 21, 2021

This clever story inspires!! <clapping!>

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:11 May 22, 2021

Thank you Jennifer!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilia May
14:52 May 21, 2021

"And from the first time we kissed, we burned into one another like cheap vodka and called it love." THIS

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:14 May 22, 2021

That’s my favorite line too haha. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
21:06 May 18, 2021

Good story, but the end was weird for me.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:17 May 22, 2021

Hi Charlie, fair enough! I puzzled over the end for a while haha

Reply

Charlie Murphy
00:53 May 22, 2021

Congratulations on winning!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angela Guthrie
14:59 May 18, 2021

This is a very good story about a peek inside an empty marriage. It’s somewhat sad.

Reply

Claire Lindsey
00:17 May 22, 2021

Thank you Angela 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
05:11 May 16, 2021

This is amazing! I love your description and wording. Great job! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.