130 comments

Adventure Fantasy Friendship

Ugh, you are the most annoying human I have ever met. Marie-Antoinette was more tolerable than you,” Marie grumbled, brushing dirt off her dress.


“How many humans have you even met? 4?” I scoffed, crossing my arms over my chest.


“Very funny, I’ve met a number of humans from my time as a harp player.”


“Oh sure.”


“So, how are we exactly supposed to help these ghosts?” Marie asked, gesturing in front of her.


“Well, if it’s contagious, there should be a cure,” I responded, looking over our selection of patients.


There was an old man with glasses, and loose overalls covering his loose skin.


There was a girl, about 8 years old, that had her hair in two pigtails and a bright pink dress. 


A couple were standing together, looking around in awe as if Eiffel Towers had been thrown into the Underworld and had red paint splattered all over them.


Many people, old and young, big and small, were standing there, oblivious to absolutely everything.


We had to help them.


“How are we supposed to know what the cure is?” Marie asked no one in particular.


“I don’t know, maybe the ghosts know?”


Marie nodded and straightened out her clothes and organized her hair.


“Really Marie? You have to get yourself ready for ghosts?” I asked incredulously.


She just shrugged and walked towards one of the ghosts.


That particular ghost was wearing a business suit and had curly hair, a gold necklace and was drooling.


That last detail threw off the vibe, didn’t it?


She leaned towards him, cupping her “ear” with her hands.


Under cliff, directions from Griffin,” the ghost said, and crashed into the ground, his face planted in the Underworldian soil.


“Um, okay, thanks I guess?” Marie responded, slowly backing away from the ghost.


“Very smooth Marie, very smooth,” I said, rolling my eyes.


She scowled at me and asked, “‘Under cliff, directions from Griffin.’ The bird Griffin, or someone named Griffin?”


“Marie, how am I supposed to know?”


“I don’t know, just asking.”


Marie started chanting, “Under cliff, directions from Griffin. Under cliff, directions from Griffin. Under cliff, directions fro-”


“Could you stop? That’s so annoying,” I interrupted.


“I’m just trying to help,” Marie protested but stopped.


“What cliff are we talking about here?”


I don’t know. Maybe if we wander around a bit, we’ll find it?” Marie said, looking around at our surroundings. 


“Okay.”


Marie led the way, walking in a vague direction away from the ghosts, “airport” and the palace of Hades. She strutted forward with false confidence, and I looked to the ground.


It was a rusted red, the colour of a machine once it had gone old. Little pebbles dotted the surface, running away from my feet as I trudged across like a giant. A few cracks littered the floor here and there, little blemishes across the otherwise smooth floor. 


I walked forward with no thoughts running around in my head, I just walked and looked at the ground, observing what I saw.


And then I saw air.


A hand grabbed my shirt from behind and pulled me up, saving me from a thousands-of-feet drop off a cliff.


“What were you thinking?” Marie yelled at me, my head hanging in shame. “Don’t you have eyes? Or do you just take pleasure in walking off cliffs?”


Sorry, I was just not paying attention. Also, I try not to walk off cliffs when I can,” I responded, shooting her a smirk.


Marie replied with a glare.


“So, how should we get across this?” I asked, peering down the cliff.


The cliff was red, the same colour as the ground, dropping a heaping 1600 meters to the bottom. The rock on the sides held no mercy, having sharp jagged edges and giant chunks occasionally falling. At the bottom was a chokingly thin river that looked like a neck was getting squeezed by the surrounding rocks.


“Hmm,” Marie said, stroking her non-existent beard. 


“. . .”


“I could weave!”


“What?” I asked.


“You don’t know what weaving is?” Marie asked incredulously.


“No, I know what weaving is, but didn’t only olden-day people weave?”


Marie sighed. “I was an “olden- day person” when I was alive. I wove when my fingers were tired from practicing my harp, and I made really stylish clothing too.”


I doubted what “really stylish clothing” actually meant, but I let it slide.


“Okay, well, what are you gonna weave with?” I asked.


“You know my harp?”


I nodded.


“I can melt it, and then use the light to weave a bridge to the side!”


“How exactly will you melt your harp?” I asked, confused.


“With a candle obviously. You modern-day people don’t know what candles are? Gosh, get out more,” Marie said, and rummaged around in her dress, finally pulling out a three-wick candle.


“I know what cand-” I started, but gave up because she wasn’t listening anymore.


Marie brought out a lighter and lit the three wicks, the flames flickering like ballerina dancers. Her harp appeared out of nowhere, as usual, and held the candle underneath. The flames licked the harp like a dog lapping up water. The harp slowly melted, collecting next to Marie like a stack of string. After everything had melted, Marie blew out the candle and pocketed it.


“What?” Marie asked me, while she gathered up the “string”.


“Nothing,” I said, staring intently at what she was doing.


“I like to weave without someone staring at me murderously, thank you very much,” Marie said.


“Oh right, sorry,” I said, backing up but still staring at her.


Marie just ignored me and started weaving a bridge. 


She took the two ends of the “string” and braided them together, slowly working her way down the giant stack. After about 1 hour of weaving, half of the bridge was finished.


Marie started packing her things away.


“Wait! Aren’t you only halfway done?”


“Well, I think it’s enough right? What could go wrong?”


I raised my eyebrow skeptically.


Everything could go wrong Marie! We could fall and plummet to our deaths. We could crack our heads on the rock, also leading to death. We could-”


“Ah, it will be fine,” Marie encouraged and grinned, trying to convince me.


“Okay. Anyways, how are you gonna get the bridge to the other side?” I asked.


“You can help me throw it.”


“Marie Elizabeth-Cléry,- fine.”


Marie smiled for successfully persuading me to throw a bridge to the other side of a cliff.


She threw the “string” to me and I caught it, the material heavy in my arms.


It was as heavy as a duvet cover but looked just like gold. Little threads wove in and out of the cloth bridge, shining when the light hit it. It felt super smooth like snake scales, the texture similar.


“Are ya gonna throw or not?”


Okay!


Marie held one end of the bridge and I held the other, swinging it back and forth like a giant pendulum. It rocked higher and higher until Marie nodded at me and we let go, releasing the top end of the bridge.


It glided to the other side and landed with a thump.


“Yay, the rocks worked!” Marie exclaimed.


“What rocks?”


“I put rocks inside the seam so it would be heavy, and so it doesn’t fall off the cliff,” Marie responded.


“Oh okay. Do we go across now?” I asked, getting a bit nervous.


“What else are we gonna do? Look at it?” Marie asked.


“Can you go first? I’m a bit nervous.”


“Okay, I’m a ghost after all. I can’t get killed again,” Marie said arrogantly and placed her foot on the edge of the bridge.


Nothing.


She tentatively took another step.


“. . .”


Marie walked faster and faster until she got to the middle of the bridge.


“Come on! I’ll help you across!” She hollered.


I nodded, looking at my feet to start moving.


I took a step forward, bracing for impact, but nothing happened.


I took another step.


Still nothing.


Must be stable, I thought, since Marie got across with no problem, so I took a third step.


And then we fell.


The bridge gave way, folding underneath us as we fell toward our deaths.


“See? I told you it was too short!” I yelled to Marie.


“Well, I was getting tired!”


Great excuse Marie, great excuse.


The red floor rose up to meet my face until a brown object smashed into us.


Oomph


It was furry with golden and brown fur, speckled with some white. Marie looked at me, also thoroughly confused. 


“What is this?” She asked me.


“I don’t know, a bird?” I replied, shrugging.


“I’m right here y’know.”


Marie and I jumped up, surprised at the unexpected voice. I was right! We were being carried by a bird, a griffin to be exact. It had a white head with orange eyes and a glossy black beak.


And it talked.


“Can you guys hear me? I’m not that good with my people skills, sorry,” the griffin said, burying its head in its wings.


“Oh no, we can hear you. We just never met a talking griffin before! I’ve met a beheaded ghost that couldn't talk, and when I taught it, it was so happy that blood was splattering everywhere and-”


I silenced Marie with a disapproving glare.


“Um, it’s nice to meet you too?” the griffin said. “What are your names?”


“Oh I’m Marie, and what’s your name again?” Marie asked.


I realized I never told Marie my name, but I had to now.


“I’m . . . Claire.”


Was that my real name? Maybe, maybe not.


“And she’s Claire. What’s your name?” Marie asked curiously.


“Oh, you can call me Griffin.”


“Okay Griffin, where are we going?” I asked.


We were zipping through the canyon with cliffs on each side, looking down on us menacingly.


“I’m taking you to my home because I have a message that I think is for you,” Griffin said, slowing down to duck into a cave.


Griffin landed and bent down to let us off. The cave was a light pink colour and the furniture was made of black obsidian. It was pretty big too, about 7 meters across. Shelves hang around with food and scrolls, some of them having thick layers of dust on top.


“Here is the thing I wanted to show you. It’s a prophecy, and if it’s not for a human and ghost in the Underworld trying to cross a cliff, I don’t know what else it might be for.”


Griffin pulled a thick scroll from a high shelf and handed it to me.


“My mom gave it to me when I was small, she said it was very important, so I kept it for all these years.”


I brushed off the dust and opened the scroll.


It was a pale yellow with some dirt smeared across the sides. The edges were ripped, as if the paper were torn from a bigger piece of the puzzle. In fancy cursive ink, it read:


A duo cursed by a twist of fate

The undead fueled by an evil hate

Two must appease those who haunt them

Or the world will become evil's true gem


With the water from which is birthed all peril

The hair of the gods and the teeth of the devil

A mixture of love, hate and destiny

only then will their lives be free


To obtain what they seek

They must pry from the beak

the silver-gray octopod skin

May win and destroy from within

The red of the immortal charmer

Will prove the weakest of armour


The fate and the clock

The tick and the tock

The two may rise and rise they shall

The two shall rise above them all


I handed the scroll to Marie, and once she read it, she looked up at me and Griffin.


“Where did you get this from?” Marie asked.


“My mother gave it to me when I was small,” Griffin repeated, looking under her claws for dirt.


“Well, this ‘duo’ sounds like us, Claire,” Marie remarked.


“And the ‘undead’ sound like the ghosts,” I observed.


Griffin nodded along and said,” This prophecy looks like it’s about you.”


We all nodded this time.


“So what do we do now?”

January 25, 2021 19:07

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

130 comments

Maya -
22:13 Jan 25, 2021

Terrific story! The dialogue between the characters was funny despite the story being set in a fantasy world where they're on an important adventure (I don't really know how to phrase that XD). I loved the tone you used, it made it really enjoyable to read. The descriptions of everything were really creative and the prophecy was really cool! Amazing job, Amethyst!

Reply

23:13 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you! Yessssss sarcasm is fun to write XD. Yes, descriptions aren't that fun for me to write so I try to make it more interesting :( THANK YOUUUUU

Reply

Maya -
23:25 Jan 25, 2021

Lol no problem! :DDD

Reply

23:28 Jan 25, 2021

i wanna do another story, so should it be part 6 or a stand alone story?

Reply

Maya -
23:29 Jan 25, 2021

Hmm... for which prompt?

Reply

23:33 Jan 25, 2021

i don't know, any of them could work for part 6 though the unusual pet one can't work, or the convention thing, or- oof almost all of them don't work O.O

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
19:15 Jan 25, 2021

"Great excuse Marie, great excuse." LOVED IT! TOLD YA YOU SHOULD KEEP GOING!!!! ALSO, THE PHROPHECY WAS AMAZING!

Reply

19:44 Jan 25, 2021

hahah yeah YAY im happy i listened IKR?! luke is THE best prophet EVER

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:44 Jan 25, 2021

YEAH! AND I REALLY HOPE HE DOESN'T READ MY BIO XDD

Reply

19:48 Jan 25, 2021

oop lol whos daphne and simon?

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:49 Jan 25, 2021

XD bridgerton (idk if I spelled it right)

Reply

19:50 Jan 25, 2021

is that a book? whuts it about? is it new?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
19:13 Jan 25, 2021

THIS WAS SOOOOOOOOO COOOL!!! I LOVED IT SO MUCH!!!

Reply

19:13 Jan 25, 2021

YAYYYY THANK YOUUUU :D

Reply

. .
19:20 Jan 25, 2021

XDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:09 Jan 25, 2021

hi! Do you like the title? If not, (you know the drill) SUGGESTIONSSSS!!!!! I give FULL CREDIT to Luke (aka Litlover) for making this ASTOUNDING prophecy he's so good at making these Weaving isn't that common because there are machines to make things now, so that's how it fits the prompt! I hope you enjoyed this! ~ Amethyst :D

Reply

. .
19:13 Jan 25, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
20:44 Jan 29, 2021

GoL PART 8 OUTTTTT :D

Reply

21:28 Jan 29, 2021

:DDDDDD sorry i was playing skribble part 8? oh dear i need to catch up D;

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:33 Jan 29, 2021

Ahaha :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:46 Jan 29, 2021

Hi Amethyst!! I think I'm going to write a reedsy cast story either this week or next week and I was wondering if you wanted to be in it? If you do, you can answer a few questions about your character, and if not you can just ignore the comment or tell me you don't:) Eye Color: Hair(type color style): Skin tone: Power(magical): Element: Species(you can be human, just thought I'd throw it in): Personality: Clothes: Weakness(not physical, so like jealousy or smth): Any other notes:

Reply

18:49 Jan 29, 2021

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY i love doing these lol eye colour: dark purple (as always) hair: brown with purple streak (as always part2) skin tone: light olive, between that and peach power: mind reading element: waterrrrrr species: human lol personality: kinda and caring, but can be quiteeeeee rude when someone insults her clothes: black sweatpants and a grey hoodie with a cup of coffee embroidered on the front. dark grey and turquiose shoes with black laces. weakness: being ign...

Reply

18:58 Jan 29, 2021

yayyyy thank you, Amethyst!!! three questions abt hair lol. How long? Curly, straight, or wavy? How does she style it?(ponytail, braid, down, etc.)

Reply

19:28 Jan 29, 2021

oh sorry, i just had lunch XD a little longer than shoulder length, wavy and mostly in a ponytail but if she doesn't want anyone to bother her, down literally me lol

Reply

19:28 Jan 29, 2021

You're good!! okXD thanks!!

Reply

19:29 Jan 29, 2021

lmk when you post ittttt

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey there Amy! Sorry to break your perfect comment score...but I loved this story so much. I liked the way you incorporated good details. Great job!

Reply

22:44 Jan 28, 2021

heyo! i didn't even notice lol thank you! It was really fun to write too :)

Reply

Hi! No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
15:00 Jan 28, 2021

The Skribbls are playing again today at 3:30 EST, should I send you the link? :DDD

Reply

15:57 Jan 28, 2021

Yesss please :D

Reply

Maya -
15:58 Jan 28, 2021

Yayyyyyyy We were some of the first people to play, but since then our group has gotten so big! :D

Reply

15:59 Jan 28, 2021

Yeah, I’m excited to meet all the new mEmBeRs XD

Reply

Maya -
16:01 Jan 28, 2021

Yes! It's the first game since the group started! XD

Reply

17:03 Jan 28, 2021

Oh right! I will be able to play longer today because I don’t have school :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:49 Jan 28, 2021

ooh lemme read it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:12 Jan 26, 2021

hey hey heyyyyyy awesome, as usual - you're getting really good! and.....you're gonna be dedicated to a character in the next part of GoL!!!

Reply

18:18 Jan 26, 2021

heyoooooooo thank youuuuuuu 20 stories is a lot of practice so if i was bad i would literally- WOOHOOOOOOO YAYYYYYY THANKSSSSS:DDDDD

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:20 Jan 26, 2021

:D !! no problem :D

Reply

18:21 Jan 26, 2021

prettyprettyprettyprettyprettyprettypretty PLEASE don't be mad at me but I haven't read GoL yet BUT I'm doing a marathon SO lots of moments coming ur way :)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
18:22 Jan 26, 2021

... nah, I'm not mad at you .... :D and yay!!! can't wait XD

Reply

18:24 Jan 26, 2021

oopsies *comments not MOMENTS omg hahah

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
20:41 Apr 11, 2021

have I ever said how much I love this? And how much I love your stuff? Like, have you ever thought about publishing seriously, or being a full-time writer and making stories your job? Reedsy is a great place to get experience but you could go into big writing, if you know what I mean by that? You probably don't LOL Well, what I'm trying to say is if you ever leave Reedsy, tell us your pen name/real name so we can wait for your published book. YOU HAVE SKILLS. YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING BIG WITH THEM. Not pushing you to be a full-time writer but...

Reply

20:45 Apr 11, 2021

THANK YOU EM <3 I have (for like a second lol), but I was kinda like, "eh it's hard to get business, how do I get readers, eHhH" XD but I know I will publish some type of book :) I'm writing a novel with Saph, don't know if it will get published, but if it is, our real names will be on there lol~ THANK YOU SMMMM <3 you should too! Your adventure stories are SOOO good. periodt. I probably won't become a FULL-time writer, but I will definitely publish much more than one book ;)

Reply

16:32 Apr 12, 2021

Aww thanks! I know it will be good. :)

Reply

22:37 Apr 12, 2021

:DDD thank you smmmm I thought of this earlier: should I make the Golden Music series into a novel?

Reply

17:59 Apr 13, 2021

HECK YES You'd have to make some changes and you' need a note in the beginning saying it was originally published on Reedsy, but it would rock!

Reply

22:41 Apr 13, 2021

:DD Yeah, I would edit it before so the unnecessary things would be gone :) thanks!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:25 Jan 29, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?QMzdRNtmkoMk

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:18 Jan 29, 2021

Do you like the new prompts?!??!?!

Reply

17:20 Jan 29, 2021

ah i NEVER see any of the topics coming, but I'm trying to come up with a plot I have to start writing today cause it needs to be out before Monday so I'm screaming at my brain to think of an IDEA

Reply

17:26 Jan 29, 2021

I hope you find oneeee!!!!

Reply

17:40 Jan 29, 2021

i got it, im gonna make a sequel to my story 'Sweet Sweet Arizona'. if you read it you'll know what direction I'm going in :)

Reply

17:40 Jan 29, 2021

ooh that'd be so cool!!

Reply

17:41 Jan 29, 2021

:D im gonna start writing

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:08 Jan 29, 2021

Happy Friday! Hope your day has been great so far! ✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮✮ Would you like to join our skribble game later today at 3:30 EST? :)

Reply

16:10 Jan 29, 2021

Yesss u too! Yay ofc! Playing skribble with u guys and listening to asmr is my new obsession now XD also do you like my pfp? It’s winter outside soooo I took a picture

Reply

Maya -
16:12 Jan 29, 2021

Yay! XD Wow- you took that? That's so cool it actually looks like that where you live! :DDD

Reply

16:13 Jan 29, 2021

Thx! It looks really pretty, but the temperature is like under -20 soooo we can’t go outside XD

Reply

Maya -
16:13 Jan 29, 2021

It is sooooo pretty!!! Ooop wow that's cold. XD

Reply

16:14 Jan 29, 2021

Yeah lol I’m gonna go bake now, so cyaaaaa!!!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
20:24 Jan 28, 2021

https://skribbl.io/?7jwI8HoamrKc

Reply

20:25 Jan 28, 2021

thanks :)

Reply

Maya -
20:26 Jan 28, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
23:31 Jan 27, 2021

Hey Amethyst, do you want to join the new Reedsy group the Skribbls? More info is on my new story/ message. :D

Reply

00:16 Jan 28, 2021

ooohhhh yesss im heading there now :)

Reply

Maya -
00:38 Jan 28, 2021

:DDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:21 Jan 27, 2021

Hiii Amethyst!

Reply

22:21 Jan 27, 2021

heyoooooo

Reply

22:23 Jan 27, 2021

You got anything uplifting/funny to tell me? I'm pushing through to finish writing a really heavy topic in my story and now I feel depressedddd:/

Reply

22:34 Jan 27, 2021

oh right, that happens well, do you like snow? we have a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT of it rn where i live it looks superduperplooper pretty, but it's really cold i wish we could have snow but the temperatures aren't subzero XD aw i hafta go for lessons, brb in a while :D I love talking tho, so ILL BE BACK BRB

Reply

22:36 Jan 27, 2021

ok! And thanks, I wish we had snow, but we never get that much:/

Reply

00:16 Jan 28, 2021

aw well where i live, snow is 10 months of the year basically XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:43 Jan 27, 2021

I posted my part 2. :)

Reply

16:49 Jan 27, 2021

yayyyyyy i'll check it out once im done studying :)

Reply

Maya -
16:51 Jan 27, 2021

Okay, thanks!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:04 Jan 26, 2021

Hiiiii Amethyst! :DDD How's your day been? :D Btw do you want to join in the skribble game later at 3:30 EST?

Reply

16:06 Jan 26, 2021

hiiii im doing textbook question rn, and I'm good :) I won't be able to, because today's really busy at school

Reply

Maya -
16:06 Jan 26, 2021

That's good! :) Oh, okay, maybe another time.

Reply

16:09 Jan 26, 2021

yeah :)

Reply

Maya -
16:10 Jan 26, 2021

:)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:11 Jan 25, 2021

OMG. OMG. I LOVE THIS. I. LOVE. THISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!! Each new part is more amazing than the one before!!! This was crazy good Amethyst!!! Can't wait for the next part!!!

Reply

19:12 Jan 25, 2021

THANK YOUUUUU!!!!! omg such hIgH prAiSe XD im so happy you like it :DDD

Reply

19:33 Jan 25, 2021

lol:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.