57 comments

American Drama

“The family wants us to sort this out—”

“Stop speaking in the collective. You want to sort this out,” she spat.

“Of course I do,” he said sharply. He took a breath and exhaled dramatically, looking at his younger sister. Her jaw set. Eyes ablaze. This was never going to be easy. “Look, it’s not my fault dad named me the executor of his will.”

“Who else would he name,” she replied, dry as vermouth.

She had a point.

“Dad didn’t leave a lot of instructions,” he muttered. “Typical.”

“What did you expect,” she said, waving off his whining with an open hand. “It’s not hard to divide up the money now. His assets have been divested. Take the total. Divide by four. Cut the checks.”

He frowned at her. As if it were that easy.

“It’s not that cut-and-dried,” he said lamely. “There are things you don’t know about.”

“There are things that I don’t give a shit about.”

“I think you would . . . if you knew,” he said, almost mysteriously. 

She wasn’t buying it.

“Why are you making this more complicated than it needs to be? So typical of you. Martyr. Nailing yourself to the family crucifix.”

“Stop—” 

“Stop what?!” she snapped.

“You don’t need to be blasphemous.”

“You don't need to fake being religious. Both of our parents are dead. Now you can quit being so superstitious. And you can quit being so sanctimonious while you are at it. It’s just us. And I know where most of the proverbial bodies are buried. So knock it off.”

He wondered what she meant but was too afraid to ask. Who knows what younger siblings remember, watching their older brothers and sisters cope with the landmines of adolescence and adolescent feelings? What other recourse do younger siblings have than weaponizing long, forgotten secrets?

“I’m devising a formula to ensure—”

“You don’t need a formula.”

“We need a plan,” he said, gritting his teeth. “A fair plan.”

“Nothing is fair, especially in families,” she replied, eyes glistening. He didn’t know if her unshed tears were from anger or sorrow. Either way, she blinked them back. 

“I have carefully worked out—”

“Carefully. Care. When did you ever care,” she muttered, muttered just like him. A family trait.

“There is a considerable sum—” 

“Let me just stop you there. I assume you still have friends in your life, right? Even after your second divorce, you must have at least one or two people who still talk to you,” she smirked. “So imagine you are going out to dinner with friends rather than having lunch with all of those depressing attorneys you work with. When have you ever nickel-and-dimed a dinner out with friends? Order what you want. The check comes. Round up for a tip. Divide by the number of friends. Boom. Done,” she mimed washing her hands. 

“It just isn’t that simple,” he said.

“It just isn’t that hard. Seriously? Distributing dad’s wealth isn’t rocket science. You’ve been a lawyer for too long. I get it—we are family and not friends. But it’s the same principle. Just subtract whatever bullshit fees you think you are owed for your time and divide by four. Cut the checks. We never have to even talk to each other again.”

“God, you are naïve! As executor, I had to sell off dad’s properties. I made sure we received a fair market value—”

Fair market value. You mean top dollar. Why not just give someone a great deal who is starting out? Why squeeze every last penny from every transaction?”

“IT’S WHAT DAD WOULD HAVE WANTED,” he yelled.

“Dad is dead. He doesn’t want anything right now.”

“So easy for you to be glib and stupid about the whole thing,” he said, standing up and walking around the conference room table. He poured himself another cup of coffee. He offered her none. Why did he ever invite her into his office? He was sure the gossipy secretaries were secretly listening, judging his sister for wearing too much makeup and too short of a skirt for a woman of her age. 

Silence. Since childhood, it had been their favorite weapon to use against each other. 

“I had to sell dad’s properties, pay off all the bills, figure out the taxes, and deal with other issues.”

“Fine. Spill it. What are the other issues?” she asked. 

Silence. 

Finally, he spoke. “How much do you want to know?”

She pursed her mouth, considering the question. “Just the highlights.”

“Our other siblings borrowed from dad. A lot. Some of our nephews and nieces, too.”

“What are you talking about,” she said. It wasn’t a question. 

“Apparently dad paid off both of their mortgages,” he said, rubbing his hands through his hair, as if to prevent a migraine that was threatening. 

“Why would he do that. Why give them so much the advantage,” she said, gobsmacked.

“Yes. A significant advantage. But why,” he asked disingenuously, leveling his gaze. 

They both knew why.

“You and I didn’t have any children,” she thought aloud. It rang true. “Dad was resentful that we didn't give him any precious grandchildren to dote on.” She gave a bitter laugh. “Of course.”

“I don’t know what dad was thinking.”

“I think you know exactly what dad was thinking,” she countered.

“He didn’t appreciate your living with various significant others,” he confessed, almost gleefully. “You knew how he felt about marriage.” 

“Yes, I knew. For fifty years, Mom and he were. just. so. happy.” Her sarcasm dripped from each syllable.

 “So that bothered him,” he said.

“Did it bother him as much as your two divorces? With a third one on the way? Tell me, do you marry all your executive assistants? How does your law firm let you hire your future ex-wives? That just seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.”

Their stony silence returned. 

He sipped his lukewarm coffee and felt the migraine’s tentacles wrap around his skull.

She smoldered, letting the sting of her words die down. 

Barren, childless fools, both of them. Trying to divide up a pot of money between their more blessed siblings who appeared to have it all: long marriages, white picket fences, Volvo station wagons, soccer games on Saturdays. And apparently, their mortgages paid off, courtesy of their dearly departed father. 

“So what’s the plan, executor?” she asked. 

Her brother looked across the table and folded his hands as if to pray. He said slowly, “We’re going to treat this disbursement like a lunch with work colleagues, not dinner with friends.” 

“Nickel-and-dime them? Take some of those large payments off the top?”

“Seems fair to me,” he said.

“Well, who am I to question your legal expertise,” she said getting up. “I will consider this matter handled just as fairly as dad would have done himself.” 


January 07, 2021 21:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

57 comments

Hello there Deidra! I think this story was great! Loved the story a lot, and think it was a nice and creative way to go up and about for this prompt. =)

Reply

22:48 Jan 07, 2021

Thanks LL — trying to get it in before the wire ⏰

Reply

Haha, been there, done that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
22:45 Jan 07, 2021

Hi! I have a bunch of stories to catch up on and this is high on the list. I'll be around to read this soon. Really looking forward to it.

Reply

22:49 Jan 07, 2021

The secret of life is low expectations ❤️

Reply

Yuk Yuk
06:24 Jan 10, 2021

😂😂😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
21:37 Jan 07, 2021

Hey Deidra! I really liked this one! The dialogue was really natural, and I think that you really brought both of your characters to life, as well as even the dead dad. This was a super creative use of the prompt, too. The only issue I have is that the ending felt a little bit rushed, though. Still, great work! I have a few new stories out this week, by the way, if you have the time to read them.

Reply

21:48 Jan 07, 2021

You are quick! I just posted this sucker and haven't proofread it entirely. After the holidays, I wanted to write a crash-and-burn sibling drama. Why not :) Happy to read your stories :) I'll head over now.

Reply

Maya W.
21:50 Jan 07, 2021

Haha, sorry. Well, great work! And I can't wait to hear your feedback!

Reply

21:52 Jan 07, 2021

You have such a light way of writing! Very engaging -- it just flows. Enjoyed it!

Reply

Maya W.
21:54 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ru .
23:10 Jan 08, 2021

I was looking over some of your favourite stories of mine and I came across the quote about obscurity for maybe the umpteenth time. I see it so often but today, it really hit hard. I don't know why, but I'm in a mood where it was just what I needed. Thanks for existing D.

Reply

23:57 Jan 08, 2021

Glad to be at the crossroads. We will carry on. All is well ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
23:06 Jan 07, 2021

Hi!! I think this was an amazing story, but you put commas and periods where questionmarks were needed, especially in the beginning. Other than that, the dialogue was extremely convincing!! Great job!! I posted a new story :)

Reply

02:50 Jan 08, 2021

I was using her “interrogative pronoun” manner of speaking in a stylistic way. Not as rhetorical questions, but as noun clauses — hence, no need for question marks. 😀

Reply

. .
12:45 Jan 08, 2021

Ah, I understand. Great job!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
18:29 Mar 14, 2022

Well... That's spicy. Nice one.

Reply

18:42 Mar 14, 2022

Families. What can you say?

Reply

Crows_ Garden
19:05 Mar 14, 2022

Right?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
22:26 Feb 23, 2021

This sentence got a wide smile: "We’re going to treat this disbursement like a lunch with work colleagues, not dinner with friends." :D Great dialogue! I just wished those two stubborn siblings had managed to clear the air a bit earlier since they were always on the same page as it turned out :D

Reply

22:40 Feb 23, 2021

Nothing unites like a common enemy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
13:49 Jan 14, 2021

This story is so amazing!! It was so different yet it captured the prompt perfectly. Great job!!

Reply

15:04 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks COOKIE

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yuk Yuk
06:26 Jan 10, 2021

I liked this. I don't know why I found it funny but I did. I laughed, shots fired .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Julie Ward
17:38 Jan 09, 2021

I could feel the knives sharpening, see their metallic gleam with each and every word. I'm so intimidated by dialogue-only stories, and you made this one sing. (Or slice if we're continuing the metaphor here...) I couldn't decide which character I disliked more, but I couldn't stop reading their wordplay. As always, really, really well done!

Reply

20:09 Jan 09, 2021

Any way you cut it (you started it with your extended metaphor), both of these characters are odious.

Reply

Julie Ward
16:23 Jan 10, 2021

Thanks for humoring me.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ben To
16:58 Jan 09, 2021

Yup, free money always equals family drama. Awesome story, loved it!

Reply

17:10 Jan 09, 2021

Family equals family drama. Money just adds ⛽️ to the 🔥

Reply

Ben To
17:34 Jan 09, 2021

truth

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
23:57 Jan 08, 2021

I love the discussion of older/ younger siblings in here. As the oldest of six it made me realize I have enormous influence on them and want to do better. Honestly this could also fit under one or more of this week's prompts. I have to divide my sympathy for these characters. I can't pick one to like more. Nice one here, probably another shortlist! ;)

Reply

23:59 Jan 08, 2021

Thanks for your keen insight per normal. Sibling relationships are tricky business for sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frances Reine
19:33 Jan 08, 2021

This story got my attention right from the beginning and, if I'm being honest, it wouldn't let it go. Also, I rlly agree with many of the comments--the dialogue was incredible :D

Reply

21:26 Jan 08, 2021

Thanks, Frances 😀

Reply

Frances Reine
13:09 Jan 09, 2021

no problem :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L.A. Nolan
18:30 Jan 08, 2021

Who knows what younger siblings remember, watching their older brothers and sisters cope with the landmines of adolescence and adolescent feelings? What other recourse do younger siblings have than weaponizing long, forgotten secrets? - Very, VERY good!

Reply

21:25 Jan 08, 2021

I’m the 5th of 6 children. Yup. Pure truth.

Reply

L.A. Nolan
05:09 Jan 09, 2021

I've missed your writing lol...it's good to be back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L.A. Nolan
05:10 Jan 09, 2021

I've missed your writing lol...it's good to be back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
L.A. Nolan
05:10 Jan 09, 2021

I've missed your writing lol...it's good to be back.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 17 replies
Show 1 reply
Bonnie Clarkson
16:22 Jan 08, 2021

Good dialogue. Very believable.

Reply

17:57 Jan 08, 2021

Sibling rivalry. Always fun 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katina Foster
03:05 Jan 14, 2021

So good! You have a knack for writing epic sibling stories. Makes me want to be a fly on the wall sometime when you're with yours. ;) I love how these two are so similar that even their agreements are arguments. You can tell the brother secretly relishes his ability to rile his sister up, knowing that she'll still agree in the end. I grow very attached to your characters despite the shortness of the stories. It's a real talent how you bring their personalities out, especially with dialogue.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.