Midnight sun

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story about another day in a heatwave. ... view prompt

49 comments

Science Fiction Fantasy Historical Fiction

2120

"...That would be about it on the celeb scoop for today. As per usual, we will be back tomorrow to let you know how it all pans out. For now, though, we will turn our attention to our own John Levins, who will give us the front on today's weather forecast." The TV screen buzzes and cackles, threads of glitch flashing in various inky colors, seems to fry every last one of Bruno Floyd's nerves, as the screen splits and John's face appears on the right. "Hello there, John." There's a quick silence as she shuffles her papers.  

"Good morning, Michelle." His southern drawl dances on his tongue with wolfish teeth that stretch into a humungous smile, resembling the texture of rubber. Bruno scowls at him, as a dog growls at the enemy. "Yes, the weather forecast will be drastic, to say the least. The morning has been a fascinating first in recorded meteorological history. Yes, my friends, due to the recent heatwave dominating every country globally, we have experienced the first "Midnight Sun" known to mankind. The "Midnight Sun" was first introduced circa 2035. It's a dystopian reality of night not coming. The sun shines as brightly at midnight as it would at say 12 noon in the middle of August on Florida sands." Bruno sits back running a hand through his greasy hair. He tries to ignore the rest of the report, but he can't help hearing the end of John's ramblings on how hot the rest of the day was going to be. A bottle of water sits on the glass table, a couple of shot glasses by its side. His usual appearance, namely a suit and tie with hair gelled back so impeccably, had been replaced by a gigantic loose t-shirt several sizes too big that he had purchased many years ago from a thrift store. This was out of character for him. Bruno Floyd, professor of political science, reminded most of the people around him of a short and stocky James Bond. The t-shirt, which was a mild green also made him look nowhere near masculine, and more like a little boy. 

As he downs, another glass of water he tries to remember why he got this t-shirt in the first place. Experimental reasons? He must have had some sort of motive, he thinks as he looks down in distaste. Nowadays this t-shirt served a purpose though. Sure, at the time he bought it, it may have been nothing but an atrociously ugly garment, but he was happy he hadn't chucked it. More to the point, this t-shirt had been the only one he could wear without completely sweating until he soaked through with his compulsive sweating.

Everything had changed since the heatwave had begun six months ago. Global warming had been a myth to most people, but he didn't count as "most people". He had always known that it was coming, every summer growing up, he had noticed this. As a kid, watching his ice cream melt creamily down his fingers in record time, summer after summer, faster every year. Into his adult years, he could feel it as he watched the ice cubes in his fancy beach cocktails melt even faster than before. Not that he didn't try to make people aware, but like most people who believed in global warming, he was mocked and so he receded into the shadows, bent his head, and continued with his life, knowing that he was approaching his fate one step at a time. He often contemplated the reason people didn't take global warming seriously. His leading theory was that their ancestors ignored its existence. The most evident reason why they ignored it, would have to be pure disempowerment. Often people think if you ignore things they will just go away. Instead of dealing with it, they spent their time making forgettable crappy TV shows, with studio audiences snorting in the background. They let the chance to save it all slip past, and Bruno Floyd couldn't have detested them more for it. 

Now he had to deal with it. Ration on water, wear this t-shirt, never leave the house (ever), sweat like a dog, drink like a dog, curtains always pulled shut, showers, or any form of water usage other than drinking forbidden, dehydrate, hallucinate, death rate numbers accelerating every minute. And now he won't be able to sleep with this "Midnight Sun". The first global lockdown was recorded in 2019 and since then many.  

The weather report finished and the ad break commenced. Something about cooling mattresses. He had bought one a couple of months ago, but it had never arrived. So he reached over to the remote and switched it off and then reached up to his dry sore forehead and rubbed his temples. These big guys in heavy-breathing white suits that protected them from the heat would leave stuff in at the door. Food and water, daily, but other things were often delayed, as they were considered to matter less.

While all of this happened, Bruno had spent his days in front of the TV, with a small, raven-black notebook in his hand and a large bottle of water, that he often pretended was whiskey. He was grateful for the water. He used it sparingly. Four months without a shower now, and he reeked. He pushed through it, but all these things, when joined together, proved difficult, disgusting, and a less innocent version of hell. This had been the hardest part of Bruno's life so far, and he did not admit this willingly. 

Sometimes he wished there was a Mrs. Floyd, but she hadn't shown up at the right time, and he wasn't going to chase down some poor girl. Besides, it was probably best for his research that he had himself he could only rely on himself. He was a lone wolf. And there was no time because he was also going to die soon. 

He had known for a while now but didn't really like acknowledging it, who would?. He knew he was out on luck, a crazy person could've seen that, and he could feel his energy faltering and folding away day after day. And so he needed to document his last piece, in this notebook, he knew he had the leads, and the work was already done. All someone had to do was find it, take the credit and save the human race because however repugnant we prove to be, ultimately all we have is each other. 

He stands up, staggering. His sight blurring, his legs shaking. He falls towards the window before pulling the lever on it and yanking it open. Finally, out of the confinement of his home. It's been six months, he thinks. He extends his hand with the notebook and drops it out of the window. The scorching sun burns a lobster-red heat, that sizzles on his skin. His left hand begins to melt, the pain intensifying, as it smolders receding into his shoulder, and then his heart liquifies. 

August 08, 2020 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

49 comments

Ariadne .
22:19 Sep 21, 2020

Beautifully written, Elsa. I loved the thorough descriptions and relatable characters. The fact that this can soon become the reality of our world is freaky. Great story! Would you please check out my stories? Thanks!

Reply

E. Jude
09:42 Oct 25, 2020

Hi Adrienne! Sorry for not getting back sooner!! I will of course check out ur story!

Reply

Ariadne .
19:17 Oct 25, 2020

Thanks! It's alright - life always gets in the way. :)

Reply

E. Jude
19:34 Oct 25, 2020

it surely does!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Victor Lana
20:58 Jun 26, 2021

Wow! Reading this with what we went through in the pandemic makes it all totally real. Bruno knowing his fate was sad, but the world outside that window was like hell. Even though I knew it was coming, the ending packs a wallop. Great story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Janetra Waters
15:31 Nov 21, 2020

I really like how emersive this is. I could picture Bruno in my head. You really used the prompt well, and dug deep into what it's like in a heatwave. A few punctuation mistakes here and there, but really good overall. Good job and keep up the good work.

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:14 Nov 10, 2020

Hii, Elsa Sorry to intervene, in this brutal manner, I have a request for you would be kind to give a single glance over the vehicle which my team had been working over months. https://www.instagram.com/p/CHX5VUPBJOp/?igshid=5f72nb3cgg30 Sorry to take your time and If possible like the post.Because this would help team to win

Reply

E. Jude
15:46 Nov 10, 2020

Hi! Absolutely just did so

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
21:04 Nov 03, 2020

Sad, but written masterfully. My favorite phrase in it was "a less innocent version of hell". I really felt like I was living in Bruno's nightmare of a world in the future. (Incidentally, I've heard Zeppelin wrote some songs in the 70's which had messages in them about the environment. "That's the Way" and "Down by the Seaside" were a couple I think.) You did awesome with this, and I can see why it got so many likes!

Reply

E. Jude
16:52 Nov 04, 2020

Thanks a lot! I know "Down by the Seaside", but not "That's the way", I'll check it out though!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felix Bill
12:26 Oct 07, 2020

You asked me to review your work and this was the first one so I thought I'd go with this. I think the ideas were good and you have a strong grasp of imagery, however there's definitely stuff you can work on. Some of your sentences repeat themselves (eg. "More to the point, this t-shirt had been the only one he could wear without completely sweating until he soaked through with his compulsive sweating.") and a lot of them are too wordy. You should also avoid writing exposition into dialogue. It's really unlikely that a news reporter wou...

Reply

E. Jude
09:39 Oct 25, 2020

Sorry for not getting back sooner!! Thanks for the long considerate message. Means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
05:02 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Elsa would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

E. Jude
09:40 Oct 25, 2020

Of course!! I liked it as soon as I saw this comment! Nice Harry Potter played si=uch a big part in my life and I'm obsessed with it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anshika Goyal
07:20 Sep 14, 2020

I don't recommend starting stories with dialogues and that too with ellipses, it just doesn't make sense. Otherwise, your story was really alive with dialogues and showing. I love how you gave the details like the 'ugly garment'.

Reply

Anshika Goyal
07:20 Sep 14, 2020

Also, I would love it if you check out two of my recent stories!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lyn M
19:03 Sep 07, 2020

You're a great writer! I really liked the concept of this and the way you presented it. I was into it right from the beginning to the end.

Reply

E. Jude
16:01 Sep 08, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
05:44 Sep 01, 2020

Talent right here!

Reply

E. Jude
17:03 Sep 01, 2020

Wow, thanks a bunch!! I was extremely unconfident in posting this story, so this really made my day!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesna Anna S.
10:53 Aug 30, 2020

Wow! I enjoyed the story! Keep writing!

Reply

E. Jude
17:26 Sep 01, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
14:04 Aug 27, 2020

Hey! You asked me to read so here I am. Great job, Elsa! The descriptions were so realistic. I would hate to be there, never leaving my house and never showering

Reply

E. Jude
14:35 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks. I consider this one to be one of my less well executed stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Shikha
18:29 Aug 26, 2020

Nice story, Elsa. I loved the descriptions and the futuristic setting of the story. Would you mind checking out my first story?

Reply

E. Jude
18:51 Aug 26, 2020

Thanks and sure!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ryan Lieb
23:41 Aug 24, 2020

This is a pretty vivid portrayal of a particularly nasty future! Very imaginative and (sadly) relevant! And the lock-down kind of echoes what we're going through right now with the pandemic. There's some areas where the writing could be cleaned up a bit, i noticed a couple repetitive statements, some sentences that could maybe be trimmed down a bit, but overall i think the story got its point across well! Keep writing!

Reply

E. Jude
04:56 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks Ryan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Juliet Martin
20:51 Aug 24, 2020

Nice one! I love some of your imagery, especially the child's ice cream melting faster and faster every year - it creates foreboding in a subtle but effective way. You also create some great rhythm, like "sweat like a dog, drink like a dog" - so few words create a really strong impression here. Great job

Reply

E. Jude
04:55 Aug 25, 2020

Thanks Juliet!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
08:11 Aug 23, 2020

I love the futuristic setting, Elsa! Great descriptions too! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Yellow Light"? Thank you :D

Reply

E. Jude
08:53 Aug 23, 2020

Thanks and sure

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Rucker
08:02 Aug 22, 2020

“However repugnant we prove to be, ultimately all we have is each other.” Ooh this story gave me chills! Super spooky! This idea of a near future where stepping outside is immediate death! I love how you describe Bruno watching “the world melt around him” in a sense as he grows older! It’s such a vivid image in my head! Incredibly done!

Reply

E. Jude
08:14 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks a ton Lizzy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maggie Deese
23:18 Aug 21, 2020

Beautiful dystopian story, Elsa! Great descriptions, dialogue, and writing style. Keep up the amazing work!

Reply

E. Jude
08:15 Aug 22, 2020

Thanks, Maggie. It means so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pragya Rathore
15:02 Aug 20, 2020

This story was so interesting! Your writing style is so unique, amazing!! A very enjoyable read. :)

Reply

E. Jude
15:23 Aug 20, 2020

Aww thanks!!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:33 Aug 20, 2020

You're most welcome, Queen Elsa! (Reference to Frozen, if it wasn't glaringly obvious :D) Mind checking out my stories sometime? Thanks! (If you get the free time :p)

Reply

E. Jude
15:38 Aug 20, 2020

Sure! (I get the Frozen reference a lot, the second movie was another wave of it🤣, My friends tease me relentlessly😜)

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:49 Aug 20, 2020

Yeah, I can relate. Sometime ago, there was a wildly popular movie where the hero shared my surname. It became countless bouts of teasing and weird references :). But your name came before the movie (unless, you're like, 7, lol.) Anyway, since this is your story's comments section, allow me to repeat: AMAZING STORY!! :)

Reply

E. Jude
15:50 Aug 20, 2020

Hehe, thanks. Yeah, my name came before the movie.. I'm young, but not that young😜🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
April Summers
20:15 Aug 19, 2020

This is really great! I love all the detail and especially the description about Global Warming and the ice cream melting. The ending part got to me and I hope someone does find the notebook and it doesn't end up melting under the hot glaze of the sun. Keep up those amazing story skills! :D

Reply

E. Jude
14:50 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks April!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.