623 comments

Fiction Fantasy Friendship

Author's Note: For one of my first stories of 2021 I decided to include all of my friends from Reedsy for fun. This story is dedicated to everyone included in it and all the other amazing authors on the site. It's inspired by Litlover's Marshmallow Pride story since the characters are real people. Also, I was inspired by the show His Dark Materials which I watched recently and loved. Sorry in advance if my description of you isn't accurate. But, anyway, hope you enjoy!  

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

The last day of the year seems to be the best of all, the perfect night for a party. The luminescent full moon shines brightly through the glass dome-shaped ceiling of the ancient stone palace. Casting light throughout the vast, echoing room. The stars sparkle in the night, forming constellations across the sky.

I haven’t seen any of my friends for a while now. Our daring adventures have kept us apart for quite some time now. This year will be different, though. I will finally catch up with old friends, my long-time resolution. For now, me and my lemur, Quinn, are alone. But in a matter of minutes, both people and spirit animals will fill the room.

Quinn’s furry striped tail flicks back and forth eagerly as we prepare for the first guests to arrive. He's looking forward to the party as well, I can feel his excitement as if it is my own. We can communicate without even uttering a single word, through only shared thoughts.

Our souls are infinitely intertwined.

A stomping of boots on the stone patio outside catches our attention, causing us to turn in unison toward the engraved double doors. I set the last vase of glittery flowers in the center of a circular table, then make my way to the door with Quinn close at my heels.

As I push open the two front doors I am greeted by the icy night air. In the distance, two shadowy figures are approaching us. When they reach us, stepping into the light, I recognize them as Kate and Jennie.

For the last year, they have been in the arctic, using their incredible ice manipulation powers to uncover fossils of ancient magical creatures that were hidden in the ice for thousands of years.

Kate’s wavy chestnut-colored hair is pulled back in a loose ponytail. She brushes a few stray curls out of her face as she and Jennie shake the fluffy snow of their heavy jackets and enter the room. Quinn enthusiastically runs over to greet their animals, a swan (Kate’s) and a seal (Jennie’s). 

"It's so great to see you!" I shout over the wind, pulling them into a hug.

"It's so great to be somewhere where the temperature isn't permanently stuck in the negatives," Jennie jokes. 

I grab their icy hands and pull them toward the fire, excited to be filled in on their discoveries. As we sit around the fire, delightedly catching up on all that has happened during the lengthy time apart, Luke, Mira, and Nainika push open the doors and make their way inside. We hop up to greet them while they join us around the fire that radiates heat across the room.

Luke has a book tucked under his arm, just like always. He is the nicest person and such a sweet friend. But the powerful mind control abilities he possesses make him formidable to his adversaries. His piercing metallic eyes cut through the minds of anyone who threatens this world.

Mira holds a notebook filled with delicate sketches of the mythical beasts she has studied on her travels. She has illustrated numerous books Luke has written; together they teach the world about the magic they have mastered. Their spirit animals, Luke's cardinal-colored fox, and Mira's snowy white fox are inseparable.

We take turns spinning tales of all that we have come across, as we sip hot chocolate with enormous puffy marshmallows floating on top. Nainika’s fierce white tiger sits on the woven rug, drying the snow off its thick fur. 

Nainika can communicate with all animals, not just her own spirit animal. She has perfected her ability to speak in the tongue of almost every animal on this planet and has a reputation for being one of the best animal-whisperers of all time.

As we settle in Celeste arrives, dressed in a long flowing purple cloak with her spirit phoenix perched on her shoulder. She walks on her tiptoes, lifting off the ground every once in and while. She has always been light on her feet since she possesses the magical ability of flight.

As we catch up on our newest accomplishments and everything that happened during the time apart, I realize how much I have missed their company.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

As we sit around the fire talking, more guests begin to trickle in, filling the room with bright smiles and laughter. Right before dinner, the last of the guests stumble into the party, taking refuge from the snow that is now a blinding barrier of ice.

Abby shows up outside on the back of her midnight-black spirit horse. The mystical creature has a pure white flame on her forehead, like the hottest type of fire. 

Isaac and Xander arrive at the palace in a hot air balloon, struggling to land in the ferocious weather. I was so glad when they said they would be able to make it to the party. They have been out exploring the land in the North so I haven't seen them in a while. They manage to get both feet on the ground without any injuries, and their spirit animals follow close by their sides as they walk inside. 

Xander’s spirit animal, a cat, immediately curls up on a chair and falls sound asleep in only a matter of minutes. The eagle resting on Isaac’s shoulder floats overhead, excitedly flying in circles with Haripriya’s hawk.

Haripriya is sitting in the corner, playing her violin beautifully. She is a legend in this part of the country. People whisper on the streets that her stunning music could tame any ravenous beast. From the moment the gentle notes flow from her instrument, peace descends on the room.

Suhani accompanies her on the piano, her slender fingers skipping lightly across the keys from octave to octave. Her spirit duck sits on the bench beside her, squawking along to the music.

Felicity provides us with the words to the song. Her soft, angelic voice joining in magnificently with the other two instruments. The words flow out of her mouth and echo throughout the room. Her voice catches people in a trance, making them lose all grip on their surroundings.

As we all sway lightly to the music, a shadow passes overhead, alerting us to the arrival of our last guest. We turn our eyes upward in unison to catch sight of a dragon swooping down from the sky. Its body is the color of flames, and its wings are lined with sparkling jewels.

A few moments later, B and her spirit chinchilla enter the room. She has taken on the tireless job of protecting the endangered magical creatures of this world. Her sanctuary, which is filled with dragons, griffins, and phoenixes, offers refuge to the few remaining animals of each species.  

Everyone greets her enthusiastically before sitting down at the large, round tables for dinner. Quinn and I find a seat at a table near Brooke and Megan.

"You wouldn't believe what I saw the other day!" Megan tells us keenly. Her crimson tiger purrs happily, wanting to join in the conversation.

"What was it?" Brooke asks, smiling.

"The lake was completely frozen over, a few inches thick. Perfect for ice skating!" Megan bounces up and down a little in her seat, twirling a lock of teal blue hair around her finger. When we're not busy trying to use our magical powers to protect this world, all of us enjoy joining in on the winter festivities.

"Oh- let's go tomorrow!" Brooke says. She too has brightly colored hair, dark ember with violet tips.

Further down the table Amber and Ugochi's owls happily hop around on the backs of the intricately carved chairs. One owl is a chocolate brown, the other covered in rainbow spots like there has just been paint dumped on it. Both girls sit beside their birds, snacking on the variety of different pies set out.

Amber speaks to Ugochi in a hushed tone. Whenever she speaks people stop to listen, and she listens to them in return. Even the stars pause when she opens her mouth to speak.

Across from them, Emmie is showing Jade and Varsha a code she created. Neither of them is able to guess the combination to the lock based on the riddle she wrote. 

Emmie always excelled at fooling even the smartest scholars with her mind games. There hasn't been one person able to outsmart her.

Jade's spirit cat, Banana, sits under their chairs, blissfully napping. Beside his sleeping form, Arawin (Emmie's bluish-silver wolf) nuzzles Varsha's ashy grey wolf. 

Every spirit animal in the room has a special connection to not just to their human, but the other animals as well.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

After we all finish eating, the room is filled with satisfying chaos as people show off their unique abilities.  

Faye skips from place to place, weaving through the shadows. Wisps of her caramel-colored hair flutter through the air behind her. One moment she is standing right in front of you, and the next she is completely invisible. A trick of the light. 

It takes years to dominate that specific type of magic. Years until one can disappear as flawlessly as she can.

Sapphire creates glowing, purple forcefields with the help of Amethyst. They crackle and buzz with energy, one purple and the other blue. The girls combine their power to create a humongous, impenetrable shield on one side of the room.

Their identical spirit owls soar above the creation, each with extensive, feathery wings.

Phebe races across the room in her winged sandals. One of the last pairs left on this planet. Her snow leopard bounds behind her, struggling to keep up. There is a blast of air following in her footsteps, as her blurry figure zooms around the room.

As the atmosphere calms slightly a few minutes later- everyone exhausted from using their powers- we crowd around to examine one of the most revolutionary inventions of the year.

Zenny holds up a long slender arrow, the tip coated in a slippery black substance. 

"It's called a 'Darkness Arrow'," he tells the crowd, "Try it out."

Ugochi carefully takes the delicate yet deadly object out of his hand. She is a master archer, one of the best in the land except for Zenny himself. 

"What is that on the tip of the arrow?" she asks, suspiciously.

"You'll see," he replies vaguely. We all watch the exchange, eager to see what power the new weapon holds.

She slowly notches the arrow on the shiny bow she is never without. Then she pulls back the tip, letting the arrow fly with a snap of elastic string.

Everyone instinctively ducks as the arrow finds its target across the room- an unlucky potted plant. The entire thing vaporizes into the air, along with half of the floor around it, leaving a gaping hole on the edge of the room.

"Okay... looking back, maybe it would have been better to try that outside," Nainika says, laughing. We all stand frozen in place, staring in shock at the place the arrow found its mark.

Only one hour is left until midnight, one hour until we enter a new year full of infinite possibilities.

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Only five minutes before midnight, we all sit back on the huge couches, gazing up at the sky through the transparent roof. The fireworks are set to go off exactly at the New Year, which is rapidly approaching.

"What are your plans for the New Year?" Haripriya cheerfully asks the group at random. 

"Mira and I are planning on finishing our newest book," Luke says.

B strokes the chinchilla laying in her lap, "I heard there is a rare species of dragons a little ways from here. I'll probably see how they're doing."

"Megan and I are enjoying the winter weather tomorrow," Brooke announces. While the rest of us have gotten tired of the cold long ago, she still finds enjoyment in it.

"I'll see you all soon, though?" I ask the group, hopefully.

"Of course!" Haripriya says, optimistically, "We'll be back for the next party."

We all smile, gazing up at the night sky as the first fireworks burst out of thin air. Thousands of beautiful eruptions shoot in front of our eyes, marking the beginning of the next year. It's both an ending and a new beginning.

This has been the best New Year yet, there is nothing more precious than time spent with good friends.

January 09, 2021 02:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

623 comments

18:20 Jan 09, 2021

Want to be in my story? You let me be in your's so... yeah! Just tell me your character's: Hair color Eye color Skin color (it's fantasy so it could even be, like, silver or blue if you want to) Age Height Magic power/element Talent Spirit animal

Reply

Maya -
21:05 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much!!!!! Hair color: Gold Eye color: Green Skin Color: caucasion Age: 11-18 Height: Medium height Magic power/ element: Fire Talent: If you mean real maybe drawing, piano, or rock climbing, but if it's fictional flying :) Spirit Animal: A lemur, or a dog named Kiwi, or a black kitten with a white flame on her head named Mae Mae :) (those were my actual pets) I'm so excited!!!

Reply

18:22 Jan 10, 2021

Ok! This is a great character!

Reply

Maya -
18:23 Jan 10, 2021

Great! Thanks for putting me in the story!!!

Reply

18:26 Jan 10, 2021

:) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:08 Jan 09, 2021

I have fooled countless scholars, apparently. I'mma see if I can do it again: 4 + 2 = 4 + 5 = 4 + 8 = What comes next? I'm honored that I'm in this story! I think I'll do one, maybe a Marshmallow thing, since I just became one? Or maybe all my friends, even people who just upvote every now and then and are still fantastic writers who make me smile. I love this story! It's A. M. A. Z. I N. G.

Reply

Maya -
20:19 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you so much, Emmie!!! :DDD

Reply

18:21 Jan 10, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
16:20 Jan 12, 2021

4+11=

Reply

20:36 Jan 12, 2021

15 :)

Reply

. .
20:37 Jan 12, 2021

Did I get it right??

Reply

14:26 Jan 13, 2021

The answer for the riddle is 4+12, actually, I'm not sure how I figured it out, but... 4 + 2 = 4 + 5 = 4 + 8 = 4 + 8 = 12 so the answer is 4+12

Reply

. .
14:28 Jan 13, 2021

Porquoi?? I thought it would be fifteen because 4+11 would come nexttttt

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

YAY I'M HERE AND SO IS BANANA! "Hear that, Banana? You're in a book". Banana purrs. I love my character and all the others! They really match up with the writers they're based off :)

Reply

Maya -
20:18 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you!!! Do you have a cat named Banana in real life?

Reply

Yes. And two more called Cutie and Luke Skywalker. I'm weird. :)

Reply

Maya -
18:40 Jan 10, 2021

That's so cool! Cats are so cute!

Reply

Maya -
21:22 Jan 10, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
07:36 Jan 09, 2021

Wow, Maya! I really loved this and was honored to have been included in it! You have such a way with words and this really painted a vivid picture in my mind!

Reply

Maya -
15:29 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you, Suhani!!! :DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:17 Jan 09, 2021

Its out :D could ya check it out and leave some feedback?

Reply

Maya -
05:18 Jan 09, 2021

Okay sure!!!

Reply

B. W.
05:19 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks ^^ I'm excited to see what ya think

Reply

Maya -
05:20 Jan 09, 2021

Ofc!

Reply

B. W.
05:21 Jan 09, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
04:21 Jan 09, 2021

New thread?

Reply

Maya -
04:22 Jan 09, 2021

Sure! Anything you want to talk about? :)

Reply

B. W.
04:25 Jan 09, 2021

Well, you like some Mythology and all that, right?

Reply

Maya -
04:26 Jan 09, 2021

Yeah, I read Percy Jackson a while ago.

Reply

B. W.
04:33 Jan 09, 2021

Maybe You could do your own demi-god series?

Reply

Maya -
04:40 Jan 09, 2021

Maybe! I would have to look back at the different gods and stuff but that sounds fun!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Ohhh I loved this story so much MAYA!!!! This is amazing! Thx again for adding me! Your the first person to mention me:) The spirit animals were amazing! Keep writing:)

Reply

Maya -
02:56 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much!!! Of course! You deserve it! :DDD

Reply

:) Upvoting u right now!!! AWW, ur so sweet! I'm gonna include u in my BFF's tab in my bio!

Reply

Maya -
02:58 Jan 09, 2021

I'll put you too! And I'll upvote you!

Reply

Maya -
03:03 Jan 09, 2021

Ofc!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
02:48 Jan 09, 2021

😘😘😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
02:27 Jan 09, 2021

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!! omg!! you are the best! So nice! Such a wholesome story for New Years! To a year of friendship, hope, and great discoveries ahead! Great job Maya!

Reply

Maya -
02:29 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you!!! Happy late New Year!!! XD

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
02:32 Jan 09, 2021

hehehe 1 week vibez!

Reply

Maya -
02:33 Jan 09, 2021

Yes!!! hehe :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
02:21 Jan 09, 2021

MAYAAAAA THIS WAS FANTASTICCC!!! TYSM FOR INCLUDING ME AND SAPPHIRE :D you're so good at describing the things happening, the overall VIBE of this story the message of this story is so cute and meaningful too :) p.s. not to be shady, but you forgot my link in your comment you probably won't talk to me ever again 😬 ~ Amethyst

Reply

Maya -
02:23 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks!!! Sorry, I'll add the link. There were so many to add I'm honestly not surprised I missed one. :)

Reply

02:24 Jan 09, 2021

:D sorry for being shady, sometimes im like that yeah you included like 20 people, I would've forgot more than 5 probably XD

Reply

Maya -
02:25 Jan 09, 2021

You're fine! Thanks for reminding me. XDDD

Reply

02:26 Jan 09, 2021

Thanksss! yOu'Re wElComE now I'm sounding REALLY shady XD p.s. I'm in the middle of doing taekwondo rn, so BRB

Reply

Maya -
02:26 Jan 09, 2021

LOL XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Heesemann
12:07 Jan 15, 2021

Wow. That was brilliant! 😊

Reply

Maya -
14:25 Jan 15, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Danny -
01:42 Jan 14, 2021

Nicee new profile icon Mayaa :DD

Reply

Maya -
01:44 Jan 14, 2021

Thanks! I updated my bio, too. :DDD

Reply

Danny -
01:46 Jan 14, 2021

Ooohhh I read it 🍓

Reply

Maya -
01:46 Jan 14, 2021

Yayyyyyyyyy :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
04:42 Jan 14, 2021

I posted a new story. Not the one I told you about that I'm gonna put your character in, but another one. Just an update, I'm either going to post the story that your character is in either for this week's prompts or next week's. Not sure. :)

Reply

Danny -
04:43 Jan 14, 2021

Ohhh, of course! I'll go read it :DD

Reply

Maya -
04:44 Jan 14, 2021

Yay! Thanks! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
<inactive> .
04:29 Jan 10, 2021

HHHHHHAASHUXIAGUCDABDRQYGEUWQ4WR PRIYA.EXE HAS STOPPED WORKING

Reply

Maya -
04:39 Jan 10, 2021

?

Reply

<inactive> .
06:45 Jan 10, 2021

It was so good that I stopped worked lel ehehe

Reply

Maya -
13:36 Jan 10, 2021

oh haha :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
21:57 Jan 09, 2021

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG ME AND AMETHYST ARE SO HYPED AAAAAH THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!! p.s. - This was beautifully written :DD

Reply

Maya -
21:58 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks, Sapphire!!! XDDDDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:01 Jan 09, 2021

I love how you added in the fact that our owls are identical XD I feel like everyone on reedsy treats us like twin sisters XDDD Just letting the world know that we are completely different in real life XDD But I just love having her as my "almost-sister" haha THANK YOUUU

Reply

Maya -
22:03 Jan 09, 2021

You guys are kinda like twin sisters XD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
22:16 Jan 09, 2021

yes we are lmao XDDDD

Reply

Maya -
22:16 Jan 09, 2021

LOL XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Phebe Emmanuel
19:24 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you so much! I'm so happy that you added me!

Reply

Maya -
20:21 Jan 09, 2021

You deserve it!!!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
20:34 Jan 11, 2021

Aww, thank you!

Reply

Maya -
20:39 Jan 11, 2021

It's true! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
14:21 Jan 09, 2021

This is soooo good! Thanks for mentioning me!!! #imnotcryingurcrying IMA GO UPVOTE YOU RIGHT NOW!! :)

Reply

Maya -
15:38 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks!!! You deserve it! I'll upvote you too, maybe I can get you on the leaderboard... :DDD

Reply

Deleted Account
17:38 Jan 09, 2021

OML, plz! That would be amazing!!😁❤️🔥😊

Reply

Maya -
20:16 Jan 09, 2021

Can you spam this thread? It's kinda hard to find enough comments. :D

Reply

Deleted Account
20:20 Jan 09, 2021

sUrE!! Np!😁😎

Reply

Maya -
20:33 Jan 09, 2021

Can you add a new thread because I can't scroll enough to see the others. Sorry!

Reply

Show 25 replies
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
20:20 Jan 09, 2021

sUrE!! Np!😁😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Deleted Account
20:26 Jan 09, 2021

Ima add some mooorreee...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 317 replies
Show 1 reply
Deleted Account
20:38 Jan 09, 2021

*screaming intensifies* you got me on the leaderboard!!😭😊💓😘🥺

Reply

Maya -
20:38 Jan 09, 2021

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
14:07 Jan 09, 2021

THIS STORY WAS SO SWEETTTTT!!!!!!!! I also loved the fantasy aspect of it! AND I LOVED MEEEEEE!!!!!!! Great job! :D

Reply

Maya -
15:35 Jan 09, 2021

Thanks so much, Kate!!! Happy 2021!!! :DDD

Reply

Kate Reynolds
16:58 Jan 09, 2021

Np! Thank you, you toooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Reply

Maya -
20:15 Jan 09, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:30 Jan 09, 2021

LOVE THIS Maya!!! Thank you so much for including me in your story (it's the first time somebody did that...so I'm really excited) This is like, the best spirit animal story ever! you are so sweet. (But I'm really surprised by how Ugochi had the same spirit animal as me-I thought I was the only person who had a remote affection for owls. YAY, I found an owl person!) Thank you so much (again), for including me in this story!! You are an awesome reeder friend :) Oh, and look out for some more karma points over the weekend. Somebody's getting...

Reply

Maya -
15:33 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you, Amber! You too!!! I'll upvote you too!!! :DDD

Reply

13:54 Jan 10, 2021

thanks :P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
06:40 Jan 09, 2021

Hi Maya! I loved this story so much, and it was really sweet to dedicate your first story of 2021 to other authors and friends here! I wish I could've replied to your comment sooner, but I wasn't on Reedsy then :( I loved this idea, though! All the best on your writing journey!

Reply

Maya -
15:41 Jan 09, 2021

Thank you!!! You too! If I do another story like this I'll include you in it!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
16:24 Jan 09, 2021

Of course! Thanks so much! 😊

Reply

Maya -
16:24 Jan 09, 2021

Ofc! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.