245 comments

Adventure Science Fiction Friendship

Sitting on the soft sands of the beach, I was watching the stunning sunset.

It was finally time to go to work!


Wearing my favourite swimsuit, I leaped into the vast water of the sea. I was an underwater explorer and I loved diving.


A new species of fish was expected to be found in the ocean and I wanted to see it lively. The first person to find out the species to see it live had the opportunity to name the species. Thus, I wanted to be the first one.


I put on my oxygen mask and swam deep into the ocean. The water was always murky, but I loved it that way.

Nobody had ever examined the new kind of species. Merely the size and height was known then.

That's what got me excited. I loved exploring new things.

On the spur of that moment, my oxygen started leaking. I found a knife stuck in my oxygen cylinder.ย 

I wondered how a knife could put a hole on a aluminium cylinder.

The sea hunters! They were on my tail!


Their knife could pierce into anything because they were made up of diamond. They were a group of creatures who ate anything in the ocean. They were very primitive creatures also called underwater tribes.

I had to swim fast. I couldn't hold my breath for a long time. The oxygen cylinder had an output of pressure which pushed meย downwards. Thanks to my trainers, I knew how to handle the situation.

Suddenly, I saw a man who had an oxygen cylinder. He was unaware that the sea hunters were coming near.

I swam straight atย him and took hold of his hands.


"What are you doing?" he mumbled. He showed some hand signals and I understood.


"Don't lose your breath. I am an underwater explorer. The sea hunters are approaching," I said and used hand signals. Sign language was an important thing to learn for underwater explorers.


"But, I have to encounter the new species. I am an underwater explorer too," he mumbled. This time I heard him right.

I thought I should escape, leaving him there, because he also wanted toย name the new species.ย But, I knew that it was not the right decision.ย 

It was almost impossible to elude the sea hunters in the water. Only, they won't come out of the water. They had a man's body and shark's tail.

I swam as fast as my legs would go. I had to save the other underwater explorer. But, my oxygen was quickly running out. I was tired and could not clearly see where the land was because of the murky water.

Then my companion took charge.

"Just climb on my shoulder," he mumbled and waved his hands at me. I had no choice. I was starting to faint as I had no supply of oxygen.


I choked out the water andย woke up.

He saved me! As I was lying in the soft sands, I looked on for him. I saw him in front of me, watching the blue skies.


"Thank you. Do I know you?" I said.


"You are welcome. I don't think you know me. I am Willie," he said. He was one handsome dude, very muscular!

His brown eyes looked sharp like an eagle while his hair was curly black.


"My name is William," I stated.


"Our names are almost the same. You look awesome, William," he said, laughing. I also started to laugh.

He gave me his hand and made me stand.

"How did you save me? No human can swim faster than a sea hunter, " I asked him.

He didn't answer. But, anyways he had saved me.

"Friends?" I asked him. He just nodded and smiled.

"We have to start again and find that species," he said, looking for a place to dive.


"Are you insane? You wanna die so young. We had narrowly escaped from the sea hunters," I said.

"We escaped, right?" he asked me.


He loved adventures more than me!

"Do you have another oxygen cylinder?" I inquired.


"I possess a small cylinder. It will provide oxygen for just an hour," he said, taking a small cylinder from his backpack.

"Thanks," I said.

"And keep this in your ear. It's a radio transmitter for us to communicate, " Willie said, giving a small earpiece to me.

"Would we hear our voices clearly with this?" I asked him.

He shot me a look and I understood. He slipped on his red coloured fins and I donned my blue coloured fins. Fins made it easy to swim.

We leaped into the sea again. I trusted him a lot.

The sea was beautiful as we swam deeper.

The fishes were floating smoothly in the shimmering water. Even octopuses looked cute as they filled their air sac and expelled it. They were very fast. But, we should not get fooled by appearances.

I switched on my water glass. It was an amazing device. It measured the height and size of a particular species. I had set it to the size and height of the new species.


Suddenly, a huge creature floated above us.


ย It matched the height and size of the new species!


I called Willie and pointed to that great creature.

But, he was terrified. He started swimming in the opposite direction. I accompanied him.

"That's not the new species. It's a blue whale," he said as water bubbles came out of his mouth.

"I suppose so," I said. I was charged up when I saw it had the same categories of the new species.ย 

As we proceeded in search of the species, I asked him, "What would you name the species if you'd find it first?"


"Willie whale. What would you call it if you find it?" he said.


"Nice name. I would call it as William fish," I said.


"Wonderful name," he said.

Suddenly, something took hold of me and Willie. It appeared to be a rope.

We tried to liberate ourselves from it. But, it was really strong.

Then we heard some voices, "hu ha hu ha."


The sea hunters again!

I was very scared. But, I couldn't see any fear in Willie's eyes. He just floated calmly with the rope in his waist. He didn't even try to escape.

I loved his confidence.

I didn't want to become dinner for a sea hunter. I couldn't even imagine it.

They dragged us deep into the ocean and lit up the magical flame which can light up in water.

I had read in a book that sea hunters ate only in the dark. If they could understand my language I would have said that I was not tasty. But, they wouldn't understand.

We had less time to live. But, my oxygen supply would cut in a few minutes. I thanked God and all of them who had helped me. I knew this job was a pretty risky job, but still I loved it.

As the sea hunters were sleeping, I tried to escape but the rope they used was very firm.


On the spur of the moment, I saw it.

The new species! Drifting smoothly in the sea with its fins.


What a magnificent sight it was!

We were tied only in the waist. So, Willie pulled out his water camera from his backpack and clicked a photo of it.


"We will not even get out of this ocean alive, what is the purpose of taking a photo?" I asked him.


"We are getting out alive, I promise," he said confidently.

"But how?" I asked him.


"Wait and watch, William," he said and closed his eyes.


Suddenly, the new species approached us and licked Willie.

It was like a miracle!

A huge creature had licked Willie! He just patted the species and whispered something to it.


"I possess the power to talk to animals, buddy," he said, triumphantly.

"Wow! Now, I know why you took this as your job. We should escape from here as soon as possible, Willie," I said.

We climbed along the large creature. But, the sea hunters woke up. They threw their weapons at us. But, to our luck, we were far away from them. Again, no sea hunter can swim faster than a fish.

"I am gonna leave this job, Willie," I said.

It was a smooth ride and the new species dropped us close to the beach.


I saw my car parked near the beach. Journeys into the ocean have always been crazy and adventurous.

ย I was grateful for Willie. He had saved my life once again. I would never forget him and his amazing power.


"Goodbye, William," Willie said, handing over the photo of the new species to me.


"Goodbye. Wait, who found it first? Who's gonna name it?" I asked him.


"I will miss you, Will...," before he finished his sentence, he just passed out.

A red fluid was coming out of his body. That is when I realized that a knife was sticking on to his body and he was bleeding very badly.

The sea hunter's knife had struck him!

ย I checked his pulse rate, but it was barely felt. I was not ready for that shock. That is when I understood that his goodbye was completely different from mine.

ย I wanted to see his eagle eyes again. I wanted to hear his confident words. But, he wouldn't turn back. My eyes had started to water after years.

I couldn't save him that day. I had not been grateful to him.

"Willie," I cried at my top pitch. I couldn't share my grief with anyone.

I rang the ambulance and he went, taking part of myself with him.

I went to the Species Organization and showed the picture of the new species to them. They asked the name I wanted to keep.

I said, โ€œWillie whale."



August 26, 2020 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

245 comments

03:06 Aug 29, 2020

Wow! This was a very interesting story Keerthnan! Really interesting! Keep it up! Although I have just one suggestion:. I think your stories ride a little too fast, from.the starting and on to the showdown, I think you need to take us a bit more gradually๐Ÿ™ƒ Once again, I loved this story! P.S would you mind reading my recent, "Nut Judge"? Thanks!!!

Reply

03:11 Aug 29, 2020

Do you have any suggestions to make the story a bit more gradual? If you have please suggest. (I still have time to edit) Because I love fast paced stories and I love to read it to. I want to make it slow paced but I don't have any ideas. Sure thing๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Reply

03:17 Aug 29, 2020

Alright Keerthnan!๐Ÿ˜ Hmm, let's see, I'm not the best but I can say... You probably need to do a bit more describing; add more descriptions, tell us how he or she got there, in what way, the state of his mask, the color of his cloth, the size of his foot๐Ÿ˜‚ anything. Just get us familiar with your setting, surroundings and how or what the character is doing, give us time to imagine...๐Ÿ™ƒ

Reply

04:24 Aug 29, 2020

Yup, added more of it. Thank your or your suggestions. Thank you for reading. You have helped me a lot.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Reply

21:26 Aug 29, 2020

You're welcome!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jessica C
00:58 Aug 29, 2020

This is a very inventive and well executed story for such a young writer! Nicely done!

Reply

01:02 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you for reading๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Holland Hall
00:57 Aug 29, 2020

Great job, Keerththan! Nice story!

Reply

01:02 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you for reading.(please like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
22:11 Aug 28, 2020

A wonderful story, Keerththan! I really like the last sentence when naming the creature! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "The Purple Sash"? Thank you :D

Reply

00:52 Aug 29, 2020

Thank you for reading, Deborah. Sure! I would love to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
18:50 Aug 28, 2020

This is a great story. The ending showed a lot about the main character and was a touching finale. Another finishing touch could be Willie giving William the photo he took and telling William to use it as his own (and then William giving Willie credit for it and calling the new species Willie whale, like you did in the story). You could create a taxonomical name for the new species, like 'giganticus oceanus' or something to your liking to give it more credibility (but they would still nick-name it Willie whale ๐Ÿ˜Š). The Species Organization...

Reply

01:09 Aug 29, 2020

Yup, I changed that. I completely forgot about it. I will research it and some technical terms now. Actually, the William was a very adventurous man, so he went in alone. Yup, I used hand signals now. The sea hunters were fools. I told that they were primitive creatures. A phone or camera has not even come to existence there. Thank you for reading.

Reply

D. Jaymz
02:34 Aug 29, 2020

Great ๐Ÿ˜Š

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ryan Lieb
22:58 Aug 27, 2020

Well done. I can see you're improving. I like the connection between the two characters and the way the main character goes from being selfish to honoring his friend with his discovery instead of himself, character arcs like that are good so keep using stuff like that. I see you've already gotten quite a few notes, I just have a couple things to add "Not that they were mermaids." I would leave this out, it serves no purpose in the story. You've sufficiently described your antagonist in a way that the reader shouldn't mistake them for merm...

Reply

01:00 Aug 28, 2020

I am glad you liked the connection between the two characters. I have taken the sentence out. They were not tied up. They were just hold by the rope. So Willie took his camera and clicked a photo. Done, I have added many. (would you mind reading again?) Thank you, Ryan. I love your pointing out of mistakes. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Ryan Lieb
12:12 Aug 28, 2020

ah okay, i see now where you say the rope was just at his waist. And I see where william asks "how did you save me? no one can swim faster than a sea hunter." that's good! Looks better!

Reply

15:23 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you for reading, Ryan.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
22:28 Aug 27, 2020

This was such an interesting story with many twists and turns that I thoroughly enjoyed. I loved your incorporation and your description of the sea hunters, I thought that was a nice addition to the story. And of course, the ending was sad but well-written. Amazing work!

Reply

00:57 Aug 28, 2020

I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed my story. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:51 Aug 27, 2020

Good story.... keep going ๐Ÿค

Reply

00:46 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you, Aaditya.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brandi Yetzer
20:33 Aug 27, 2020

You have a great imagination Keerththan! Look forward to your next story :)

Reply

00:45 Aug 28, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M Daly
17:14 Aug 27, 2020

Great job as always, Keerththan. Kept me in suspense throughout and I thoroughly enjoyed reading. Keep it up!

Reply

00:45 Aug 28, 2020

I am glad you enjoyed my story. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daisy Torres
14:52 Aug 27, 2020

This was such a creative idea!! Just a suggestion, you don't have to put a comma after "Now", and there are few people who say "thus" like that. Instead, you could say something like, "Because of this...". Great story overall!! You showed the main character so clearly and I felt his emotions very well. Great job!!

Reply

15:01 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for your suggestions. I will change it right away. Thank you for reading.

Reply

Daisy Torres
17:53 Aug 27, 2020

No problem!! It was a pleasure ๐Ÿ˜†

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B.T Beauregard
14:49 Aug 27, 2020

Amazing story!! Itโ€™s suspenseful and very creative, keeping the reader on the edge of their seat. I especially love the ending!! Keep writing!! :)

Reply

14:59 Aug 27, 2020

I am glad you loved the ending. Thank your or reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Skyler Woods
14:13 Aug 27, 2020

Wow! This was such a sweet story! You did a magnificent job with this one! I loved Willie and William! ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ’—

Reply

14:29 Aug 27, 2020

I am glad you loved the characters Willie and William. Thank you for reading.(would you mind liking my story)

Reply

Skyler Woods
15:16 Aug 27, 2020

I liked your story, Honey! I'm sorry I forgot. I was too busy commenting on how good your story was and ended up distracting myself. ๐Ÿ˜„

Reply

15:17 Aug 27, 2020

I am glad you liked my story. I am happy that you were distracted in commenting. Thank you for reading. (thank you for calling me honey.)๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Reply

Skyler Woods
16:11 Aug 27, 2020

๐Ÿ˜„

Reply

16:13 Aug 27, 2020

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
13:04 Aug 27, 2020

Awe, it so sweet that William named the creature after Willie. Thats a nice touch. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

13:23 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reading, Cara.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesna Anna S.
09:19 Aug 27, 2020

Intensive story under the waters. Really good. Keep writing!

Reply

09:24 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Jesna Anna S.
09:36 Aug 27, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
09:18 Aug 27, 2020

Good one keerththan๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ‘ Your presentation is awesome...God bless

Reply

09:24 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for your well wishes.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:25 Aug 27, 2020

Nice story celebrating friendship though short lived. Very impactful. It has smooth flowing narration. Best part is intertwining with interesting details on how the whale got its name...gives a mythical touch. Good job again ๐Ÿ‘

Reply

08:29 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reading.(pleas like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:42 Aug 27, 2020

Amazing keerththan keep going...!

Reply

06:54 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karthi Keyan
05:21 Aug 27, 2020

Took me to a Great adventure Keerthu..I wished I too wanted to try sea diving once๐Ÿ˜œexpecting more and more from u..

Reply

05:25 Aug 27, 2020

Yes, I also love adventures. Sea hunters won't be there. So you can go fearlessly. Thank you for reading. (please like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
20:18 Aug 26, 2020

Wow, this was good! Great job!

Reply

01:28 Aug 27, 2020

Thank you for reading, Avery.

Reply

Avery G.
01:39 Aug 27, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
21:12 Aug 28, 2020

Also, I googled the number in your bio!!! The freezers were funny!!

Reply

00:54 Aug 29, 2020

Yes. It was a funny thing. So I posted it in Reedsy for you guys to have some fun๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. Check out today's

Reply

Avery G.
02:14 Aug 29, 2020

Yeah! Okay!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avery G.
02:15 Aug 29, 2020

Lol I just did it

Reply

02:21 Aug 29, 2020

Lol.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.