139 comments

Funny High School Teens & Young Adult

I know it’s a stupid decision, yet I took it. Why do I always do things, which embarrass me in the end?

 Sitting on the sidewalk, seeing faces that are strange to me, is my favorite pastime. On top it’s the Valentine season, young love blossoming, couples rolling their tongues into each other, making fake promises. I adore this drama, also I used to be part of this whole brainwashing stunt some years ago, but right now, I am single ready to mingle.

 First, I needed a stable job, and money to pay my rent and bills. The pandemic ruined our company, which took a toll on all the employees. I did not get my salary for the last few months and my company shut down. So, I am jobless and soon will turn into homeless.

To start afresh and to bring out some change. I considered perming my silky straight hair. I wanted luscious locks of curls falling on my forehead, but the perm turned out to be a disaster.

 Now, my hair is looking like noodles, and it’s ruined my whole look. I spent 100 dollars on the whole process. Still, it did not come out as I expected.

I have rent to pay, bills, and study loans over my head. Then why did I invest it in such a childish whim? Sometimes, I have to consider rethinking before making impulsive decisions.

In this whole lockdown, I watched Oparah, you know, to get the boost of motivation you need. Instead of getting excited about my life, I got driven to mimic her hairstyle. I think my brain is wired differently, I always see the world in rose-colored glasses.

I was also kinda hit away by the new trend of #NewMeInNewYear. But why did I choose my hair?

 I could have chosen a weight loss or fitness regime. Why did I choose this stupid yet expensive hairstyle? Even I don’t have answers for my stupid actions.

My stomach rumbled, signaling me about my hunger. I check my wallet. I have only 4 dollars with me. I can buy some donuts and a diet soda. I rise from the bench progressing towards my favorite bakery, but a strange smell stung my nostrils. I turned a whole 360 degrees to whiff the source of the smell but could not find it. I gazed at the sky and the ground to see if the source of the smell is nearby. I couldn’t find it anywhere.

“Put on some deodorant, miss,” a blonde girl shoved me from the pathway. While spitting the words on my face. I smelled my hair, and bam my nose burnt. The chemicals were still lingering on my hair, and now it was blazing the nostrils of people surrounding me. My style goes with a rule. I am told not to wash my hair for the next 48 hours. I think I should try to murder my landlord with this smell and solve my problem of rent debt.

I smiled upon my immature idea and marched down to the bakery.

“How much for the donuts, diet soda, and cookie.” I haste my words because my hunger was at its peak.

“It's 6 dollars and 50 cents,” said the cashier.

“It's Valentine's day, isn’t there any discount and donuts are 4 dollars, right?” I ask her with dismay.

“It's our policy when we put the discount board that means that there is no discount. We have these special donuts, not the regular ones, so it's expensive.”

“Just give me the cookie and the soda.” My stomach made an upset groan, even it was expecting the sweet donuts.

I turned from the counter with consternation and a growling stomach, when something icky got spilled over my shoulder. When I saw the source of the cold coffee spray, my eye's balls rotated 360 degrees. Its Max. Max Taylor, captain of the football team, a serious jock, an A grade student, a handsome hunk, a model, and whatnot. He still has those fox eyes with ocean color in them, his jawline was still in shape like it was 6 years ago. My heartbeat raced, blood rushed to my cheeks and a smile popped on my face. Do I still love him? I don’t know.

“Miss, I am sorry, this day is going worse for everyone,” he speaks with a honey voice while handing the tissue.

But I was gazing at the Greek god in front of me, feeling the butterflies like I used to 6 years ago.

“Are you going to gaze at him, like a raccoon for the next two hours too?” The voice interrupted my flow of thoughts bringing me back to reality.

I flushed more and apologized to the cleaning lady. The cold coffee was spilled on his navy blue suit and it stained his white vest.

“I apologize miss, I was not looking where I was going,” He had a sour tone in his voice.

“It's your habit, it can't be changed,” I murmured to myself.

“What?” He tensed his forehead while asking.

“Nothing, it's just…” The cleaning lady interrupted our conversation, even before I could continue.

“If you don’t want your parcel, can I take it?” the cleaning lady taunted me with fire in her eyes.

“Sorry, I will take it.” I took the package without even looking into her fierce eyes.

“It's just a cookie and soda. Can I buy something from you? Like a coffee or a donut.”

“I would love it,” I say without thinking.

We took a small table and he ordered a black forest pastry and warm chocolate milk.

“So, miss can I know your beautiful name?” He asked with a selfish grin.

“It's Rose, Max.”

“Ok, wait how do you know my name?” His body postured tensed.

“Max Taylor. Student of St, Joseph. A valedictorian with a famous personality. Had more medals than the hair on the head. Loved his girlfriend Veronica like Romeo to Juliet.”

“How do you know all that?” He flashed a charming smile.

“I was your batchmate. The girl who wrote a poem for your birthday.” Tears swell in my eyes while recalling the incident.

“Ya, that’s why I felt that I have seen you somewhere before.  I remember you had an amazing smile and such beautiful eyes.”

“You used to tease me about my braces and once called me owl because of my specs.” I correct his narration.

“Ahh…” he paused a bit.

“I think, I messed up your description. But I remember you used to have these awesome grades and topped our English class always.”

“I flunked most of my subjects, and once you called me a donkey for getting the least score in the class.” Why am I recalling this and yelling in the public?

“Ohh, I think I messed up again,” His body language changed.

He continued to stuff his mouth while I kept talking.

“Let it be. The past remains past, by the way, how are you?”

He lifts his head and gulps down a huge chunk of my cookie.

“It's great, how is your life going?” A few pieces of cookie fly out of his mouth and land on the table.

“I am good. Are you still dating Veronica?” I don’t want an answer, but still, I ask.

“We kind of broke up a few days ago,” His face drops.

“It's ok, time will heal it. I think you may now feel the effect of my heartbreak. Just like I had felt 6 years ago.”

“Excuse me, what instance are you picking on?” His brows tense.

“It was your 16th birthday. I composed a poem for you and gathered some courage to sing it in front of everyone. But you poured a whole bottle of Mountain Dew over my head and made fun of my feelings. It's ok, it's not sensible to dig the past.”

“Umm, I hate girls with curly hairs,” he vaguely points in the direction of my hair. “ That’s why my behavior was kinda odd to you.” He again flashed his selfish grin.

“Wait, I had extra straight and smooth hair in my high school. You don’t remember me, right?”

I looked into his eyes with fierce emotions and balled up my fingers.

“It's tough to recall you. But I am trying,” he ate some of his words and spoke some.

“ Why did you buy me food if you could not recall me,” I gave him a confused look.

“Well, sorry to cut in your chit-chat, but it's 8 dollars in total,” said the waitress.

“I forgot my wallet in-home, can you pay?” he asked me without a pinch of shame.

“ You sat with me. So, I could pay for you, am I right, Max?” I stand up and place my hand on the table and fix my eyes on his face.

“Its.. n-o-o-t wh-at y-ou thin-k” he stammers.

“You know Max, you stammer when you lie. Am I right?” I want to punch his face, but control my senses.

“N-o-o, its n-o-t-t lik-e t-hat..”  Before he could complete his sentence, I threw the water from the jug on his face.

“ You kinda deserve this.” A heavy feeling took off from my chest after doing it. I feel I took my revenge for his past deed.

“Excuse me, I think you forgot, but I am standing right here. So, who’s going to pay for the bill?” the waitress is controlling her laughter, and the whole café is recording, and having a good laugh seeing us.

I just don’t want this to go viral now.

 

 


February 20, 2021 03:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Sapphire 🌼
17:34 Mar 11, 2021

Hi Radhika! How are you doing?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
19:48 Mar 11, 2021

I am fine, how are you?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
19:51 Mar 11, 2021

Why are you leaving? What happened? Is it because of us. If you read this all I want to you to know is that ur a great person and human being. Your writing is good and quirky. I enjoyed reading ur stories. I will miss you a lot and I am worried because of ur sudden leave.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
19:51 Mar 11, 2021

Why are you leaving? What happened? Is it because of us. If you read this all I want to you to know is that ur a great person and human being. Your writing is good and quirky. I enjoyed reading ur stories. I will miss you a lot and I am worried because of ur sudden leave.

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
19:53 Mar 11, 2021

I will be inactive for a little bit after today to cool down. It's not any of your guys' fault! Thank you so much for your support, you really are a kind person :) What's your favourite movie? :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
20:20 Mar 11, 2021

Um. Okay I get it. I love hidden figures a lot. And inside out. To all the boys too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
20:20 Mar 11, 2021

What is ur favorite movie

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
20:23 Mar 11, 2021

Well then- Hmmm Im wayy to indecisive to choose, but basically all of the netflix shows. To all the boys is reallyyyy good, I agree!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
20:26 Mar 11, 2021

Yeah. Can I ask you why you are going to be inactive?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
20:26 Mar 11, 2021

Yeah. Can I ask you why you are going to be inactive?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Ru .
14:51 Mar 11, 2021

This was a light, funny and sweet read. The awkward mishaps of the protagonist made it easier to invest in her character and follow the flow of the story. You built up the tension and atmosphere nicely. My only suggestion would be to watch grammar like "left my wallet at home" instead of "in home" and also, read your dialogue out to make it sound realistic. Good job.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:59 Mar 11, 2021

yeah, thanks for the feedback. I can elaborate on the dialogue part because it will help me in the future. Like how can I improve it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
23:25 Mar 10, 2021

Hey, Radhika! Heard you wanted to be in my Reedsy Cast, could you please fill out the questions below! Preferred story name (just so you know, I like keeping your username so that people can easily identify you unless your name is like an inanimate object or something but I wanted to put this here just in case): Hair(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Eyes(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Skin tone(anything from just a vague description to every detail is fine): Clothing prefe...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:02 Mar 11, 2021

Yeah, it's long but it's okay. Name: Katniss Eyes: Raven black Skin tone: Golden kinda with a bit of olive tinge Clothes: I want a sky blue body con suit, it should have a peacock feather design on my shoulder of the cloth. Personality: she has a lot of knowledge but has some anger issues. She cannot trust people easily, she is mysterious. She bottles her feeling up but is caring in nature. She pretends to aggressive but inside she is soft like a marshmallow. A good warrior and know the art of weapons. Fav colour: blue and lilac Relationship...

Reply

Lilliane Wei
02:26 Mar 11, 2021

First umm you may need to specify who what where in the love triangle lol. For Elemental, what type of Elemental would you like to be: General Elemental: Can use many different types of elements Generally has less control over each element as opposed to a strong Specific Elemental Specific Elemental: Strong in one or two areas of Elementalism Can only control one or two elements Note: There is one Earth Elemental, one Water Elemental, one Fire Elemental, and one general Elemental already in play. For your last statement, what do you mean ...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:33 Mar 11, 2021

I said that you write very well, and I have to read the whole series because I don't know about it, do I have to catch up a lot?

Reply

Lilliane Wei
02:34 Mar 11, 2021

Well, I've written six stories but if you don't want to read them all, I completely understand. I can just give you a summary of the first five and you can read the last one.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:42 Mar 11, 2021

Yeah that will be great. Cause reading 6 stories on top I have to read other peoples story so. Please don't feel bad about that.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Izzie Q.
02:25 Mar 09, 2021

Heyyyy girl! How's your day been? How's everything at school? I'm honestly stunned. This story contained so many delicately written details and descriptions and i adored the imagrey! Fabulous job <3

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:25 Mar 09, 2021

Thank you so much. Online classes are going on, everything is amazing. I don't have ADHD anymore like I was borderline a few months ago but now it's not there. How's your day been? Is school fine?

Reply

Izzie Q.
02:37 Mar 10, 2021

Oh sweet! Yeah, i have the literal attention span of a cat and will get up to grab a snack/text some ppl and just never come back lol so i get that. School is good! I'm going back hybrid in april! excited to see some friends again :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:12 Mar 08, 2021

So, I read your bio, and I just wanted to let you know that sometimes when life throws you in an unknown situation or leaves you without a destination, stop to listen to yourself. Maybe you are trying to tell yourself something. It takes a lot of courage to step up and be honest with yourself about your passions and who you are as a person. Being frustrated is common, but when you truly ask yourself, you'll find yourself. Don't feel hopeless. Your life has meaning, and people's lives aren't meant to be spent chasing one purpose, or anoth...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
16:59 Mar 08, 2021

Thanks so much. Your concern and comment made my day. It really brought good feelings to me. Yes, I practice self-love but sometimes you just fall from the edge which results in outbursts. I had few outbursts here too. So, I quit here. My ADHD is no more, and I am very optimistic now. Thanks for reaching out.

Reply

18:28 Mar 08, 2021

No problem! I completely respect your decision to leave reedsy but maybe try, instead of restraining your outbursts, expressing them on paper, or venting them out in a notebook just to release your feelings. (I know when I get angry, it can hurt people, but you shouldn't be afraid of expressing yourself). I'm glad you're feeling more optimistic 😊

Reply

Radhika Diksha
03:27 Mar 09, 2021

Thanks for the advice.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
05:28 Mar 08, 2021

This is such a great story! I especially loved: 'I always see the world in rose-colored glasses.' I think you wrote everything so beautifully! Well done!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
06:32 Mar 08, 2021

Thank you so much, Arwen. Your feedback made my day.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:18 Mar 05, 2021

Please don't leave. Please come back. I have, like, 44 points and i don't care. We don't need points to justify how good we are at writing. Please come back. You are an amazing writer and In don't care how many points you have. Come back. Please?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:18 Mar 05, 2021

Awwww, Emerald. Let it be. Even I don't care about points. It's just that few people sometimes trigger you. I sometimes come here, you know to read stories and all.

Reply

13:56 Mar 05, 2021

Yeah. They want you to leave to make even more people sad, so don't let them get ahold of you. Keep on smiling and keep on writing and don't let them cramp your style! (This is adapted from a mom talk btw)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:00 Mar 05, 2021

Mom's talk is always the best, by the way how are you, how is your school?

Reply

14:15 Mar 05, 2021

Good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
05:02 Mar 04, 2021

hehehehe part 7 out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
02:08 Feb 28, 2021

part 6 out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
20:39 Feb 26, 2021

HEHEHHEEHEHE PART 5 IS OUT XDDDD!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Felicity Anne
16:56 Feb 26, 2021

Hey Radhika! Sorry it took me so long to get around to reading this!! I absolutely love this!! I think a lot of it is so relatable for almost everyone. The ending is so funny and clever! As far as grammar corrections go, I didn't see anything that needed fixing, so great job!! Thank you so so much for sharing!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
17:09 Feb 26, 2021

Thanks so much for the feedback, happy to see you here again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
17:09 Feb 26, 2021

Thanks so much for the feedback, happy to see you here again.

Reply

Felicity Anne
14:42 Feb 27, 2021

No problem!! Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
16:00 Feb 26, 2021

part 4 out! Don't ask me how i write so fast :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
18:11 Feb 25, 2021

part 3 out! (Legions of Legends)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie B
13:23 Feb 25, 2021

You have a great sense of humor that you express very well with you writing!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:02 Feb 25, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
07:34 Feb 25, 2021

I read this earlier sorry I didn't leave a comment right away, I got pulled away. Anyway, I thought this story was fantastic. I loved the humor in it, and you did an amazing job writing this story. I will definitely check out more of your stories soon. Great Job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
07:41 Feb 25, 2021

Ohh, but I kinda like your writing style more. You can read my first story and leave a comment there and you know can see my journey.

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
07:47 Feb 25, 2021

Oh, I will. I plan on reading more of your stories soon. Some of my first stories on here show how far I've come too, but we all have to start somewhere right? When I read one of your stories I will leave a comment ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
18:09 Feb 24, 2021

part 2 out! (Legions of Legends)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
06:23 Feb 24, 2021

Can we chat on Hangouts?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Writer Maniac
04:33 Feb 24, 2021

Hey, I would love your feedback on one of my latest stories called 'Still Have Each Other' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
01:13 Feb 24, 2021

Legion of Legends part 1 posted! (It's the story that you made up characters for me)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.