Contest #36 winner 🏆

131 comments

Latinx Sad Inspirational

Yellow Day

Today is a yellow day. The sunlight sneaks in through the window, writhing on the floor like a snake. Outside, the leafy pecan tree shakes in the wind.

To be honest, I do not write. When I do, it is facts and information. In the city I did not have time for poetry or pretty words. No one wanted pretty words or expected it of me. But now, alone with the cold stone and cold yellow light and snakes made from the sun, I have time.

I can hear humming in the restless air. The entire compound is apprehensive. It is because we are expecting the convey with Generalissimo Cobarde. The guards are nervous the inmates will act out in protest of the Generalissimo’s arrest, and increase punishment and decrease rations in everything. Once he arrives, he will fade into the background, another zebra in white and black stripes pushed up against the wall.

Tucked away as I am in confinement, I care nothing for the world.

 

Cold Day

I am cold today. It has been awhile since I wrote last. I do not like writing. My hand cramps and my breath shakes and my brain forgets the words which I had so carefully composed moments before. When I still lived in the Distrito Federál I dictated all the facts I have mentioned. A secretary with pretty hair and tight nylons would type, with her back so straight, as I paced and talked.

I have found out that half-frozen candle wicks that have been seared to the perfect degree by a low-burning candle makes for a wonderful pencil. For many hours I experimented. I broke off a candle and pulled out the wick and leaned over the flickering flame. My eyes burned and the candle smoked in my face, but after several tries, I had burned it perfectly. After it is burned I will leave the wick by the window, and the cold comes down from the mountains and the inmates in the yard scatter and the laundry whips like broken clouds—and my pencil is formed.

And thus I write.

I have the paper—they bring my food wrapped in brown paper, and sometimes (that holy word) the guard brings a package from my colleagues or my son or my uncle or my wife, and it is wrapped in newspaper.

 

Blue Day

Today is blue—hard blue. The sky is iron and faceless. This mean it will storm soon, a hurricane from the seaside, maybe snow, and the wind will pick up and fling the tools and benches in the yard around like toys.

I was not able to write about my packages last time, for they brought a new one and I scurried to hide away my loose sheets lest the guards notice and become curious. God forbid they take away my recreation.

My parcels come with the paper torn and opened in different places where the different stations cleared the security. Sometimes if my housekeeper Señora Morales sends her jam, the lid is missing (tin is precious) and a finger-sized scoop has disappeared.

 

Next Day

Today is package day. The guards have not brought my packages yet, but when they come I am praying nothing is missing.

The guards have it worse than we do. They are my friends—some of them. Pelirrojo the Red Haired is the best one, and if he is on duty the jam is intact. Azul is the one who is always sad. Those two, and Libresco, as I call him, are the good ones.

But when Diablo or Rota or Cicatriz or Cucaracha is on duty, I keep my head down. I am quiet, and if they are in a good mood, they leave me alone.

The generalissimo arrived yesterday, on the Blue Day. They paraded him off the little cart they brought him in and pulled him through the prison yard where all we banished ones could look down at him and see him. It was an exciting day, but the sky was hard blue, which is why I did not say it was a red day.

 

Grey Day

It is storming, just as I said. My window has three metal bars, nothing else, and I can only watch as my beautiful leafy pecan tree bends and bends under the weight of the clouds, bending until I hear cracking. It is as though I hear the tree screaming.

The snake is back. The floor becomes a snake when the light is directed in the right way. There is a drawing or indentation on the floor. I think the man before me did it. He drew it just right so that it is invisible when the light is imperfect. But today—during the lightning, and on the Yellow Day, I can see the snake.

It is coiled and smooth and strong. Its neck is arched so slightly—ever so slightly. Its head is in a diamond shape, lithe and lethal. When I am in one of my yellow moods, my mad moods, I think it sneaks forward, tongue out, inching closer and closer to give me a kiss.

 

White Day

It is also a bird day. Today, the most awful day of madness behind me, is a good day. This day I feel the cool breeze on my face and watch the clouds roll lazily behind the pecan tree and listen to the scrub jay in the mountains beyond.

I like to become that bird, soar high past these bars and away from the walls which hurt my eyes. I enjoy becoming free, if only for a night, and knowing I must return to my room.

We are the birds, the little scrub jays and Oaxaca birds. I am a songbird, free yet a prisoner. One day, my madness will recede, and I will become the bird forever. One day.

 

Green Day

It has been a season since I last wrote. My parcels stopped coming, and they wrapped my food in tinfoil because there was an overflow at a factory. The foil cannot hold the markings of my pencil.

The monsoons are gone and the lovely Mexican mountain heat is rolling in. I like this better than the cold. The pecan tree lost all its leaves for a while, but today is a green day for I can see the green, budding again. It is beautiful.

Another good thing. The storm cracked a branch on my pecan tree, and though that was bad it forced the tree to grow in a lean. It grows closer to my window every day, and I hope that by the time pecan season comes again, it will be close enough for me to satisfy the hunger that plagues us all here at the prison.

Generalissimo Cobarde was moved to the cell opposite mine a few days ago. Though this is the madman wing he is not mad—he does not rant and rave like the rest of us. Sometimes he sings. I can hear him if I put my ear up against a gouge in my door. He sings love songs. Mainly he is quiet, or recited poetry so quietly no one can hear him.

Si nadie sabe ni por qué reímos

ni por qué lloramos;

si nadie sabe ni por qué vivimos

ni por qué nos vamos;

He misses his family.

I wish I could ask him why he is here. Most madmen are here because they are dangerous when mad. I am here because of what I did for my company—my employer. The other inmates are here for murder, arson, theft… and on and on. They are merely criminals. We, the madmen high in the shut-off wings of the Prisión de luminiscencia, are the songbirds, the snakes, the ones everyone fears. We are the snakes; they shy from us.

I have much paper today, and a long pencil since Bauby gave me an extra-long candle yesterday. He told me, if he can, he will bring me a real pencil, with real paper. I told him not to bother. If Cucaracha catches wind, both of us will suffer.

 

Yellow Day

Today is a yellow day, not because of the light, but because I can feel another spell of madness coming on. The pecan tree and the snake will watch me, and take care I do not hurt myself.

I will give my papers to the snake. It will protect them so that the madman inside me will not tear them to shreds. The snake will hold them tight, and after it is all over, it will give me a kiss when I take them back. 

April 04, 2020 14:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

131 comments

Donnalee L V
19:44 Apr 17, 2020

Great story that kept my interest!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lisa M
19:38 Apr 17, 2020

Loved how you laid this out. Great job & congrats on winning!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Donnalee L V
19:36 Apr 17, 2020

Great story that kept my interest!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ivy Spade
19:11 Apr 17, 2020

It is so descriptive! I love it! Good job! Your way better at this then I am. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Edye Dama
17:34 Apr 17, 2020

This is amazing. Well done. Bravo. And congrats.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Matthew Gregory
17:27 Apr 17, 2020

It is your attention to detail that impressess me most. Each and every word feels like it belongs, indeed it is essential. Such a pleasure to read a tightly woven and yet expansive story. Well done. 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Roya Z
17:22 Apr 17, 2020

This is a beautiful story, and congratulations! You deserved it. I have noticed you have a lot of submitted stories and they are all really good. Dou you write these specifically for the contest? How much time does each one take?

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
17:37 Apr 17, 2020

Thanks so much! I do write a lot of my stories for the contest, because I tend to work better with a prompt, but a few of my stories on Reedsy are ones I do for fun. Those are usually longer and better :) because I don't have the time crunch. Most of my Reedsy-prompted stories are barely over 1K words, and I'd say it depends on each story for time. Sometimes if I'm really interested in the material it takes me a day. This particular story I really liked (while writing), but I decided to really take time on each entry to make them beautif...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Genevieve Taylor
15:09 Apr 17, 2020

Oh my gosh, wow. This story was incredible! I love how, when you didn't have dates, you used colors, and how these colors also symbolized the mood of the character, and the weather. That's so creative! You're amazing! You totally deserve this win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Reema Salah
01:54 Oct 03, 2022

Ohh, I love your writing style! Emotionally raw in its simplicity yet vividly rich and layered. You convey so much with few words, it's so damn impressive.

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:33 Aug 20, 2022

This story is AMAZING and VERY creative in taking colors and marking them for days rather than ordinary date entries or any other type of labeling. As I read entries here for winners I see that they seem to be chosen not just for content but also for the creativity they take with the prompts. I myself have a hard time in taking a prompt, even in a week, and turning it into a short, creative story. It was very hard to find my voice as a writer. For some reason, I had nothing to say and couldnt put out a page of writing until my life underwent...

Reply

Show 0 replies
John K Adams
00:29 Jun 24, 2022

You really capture the sense of imprisonment with words as spare as the decor. Each word, chosen carefully so as not to waste the makeshift pencil, evokes so much. I'm sorry I'm so late to finding this, now one of my favorites.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Margie Gaffron
03:19 Oct 19, 2021

What a great story - I especially like the subtle way you work with the day's colors and madness. And the ambiguous ending - is he really mad? This is the first of your stories I have read and am looking forward to reading more.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alita King
05:44 Aug 21, 2021

This is a very cool story! It has a little mystery in it that totally enticed me, how we don't really know why this person is in here. And the way it finishes is really cool, I finally know why! I love the Spanish in here, excellent job!

Reply

Alita King
05:45 Aug 21, 2021

I'd say the language and the 'Yellow day', 'Green day' kind of reminded me of The Book Theif! Excellent job again! Super cool!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
18:51 Aug 22, 2021

That's awesome, because I love that book. I don't think I had read it by the time I wrote that story. I'm thrilled you enjoyed my work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
FJC Montenegro
16:59 Dec 09, 2020

Holy moly, this was good! I'm a heavy plotter, so I can only write stories that have something of a hero's journey. But I've noticed the books and stories I enjoy the most are mostly glimpses into someone's life, without necessarily having a beginning, a middle and an end. I feel it takes real skill to do this, you have to be good at writing at the sentence level. This one was mesmerizing, I wish I could keep a reader as interested as I was reading this one without having to lean so heavily on plot. Bravo!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Salom :)
18:37 Nov 23, 2020

This is an amazing story, and I love the way you wrote it partially with Spanish. It definitely deserved its win

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
18:39 Nov 23, 2020

Oh, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Evan Rocker
23:15 Sep 04, 2020

So beautifully written, I love the imagery. Congratulations on your win!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
00:31 Sep 05, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sayu 🍥
07:07 Aug 31, 2020

I am impressed by this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Krishi Norris
00:00 Aug 24, 2020

Nice story! Congrats for the win, Zilla!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Gigi Fields
08:32 Jul 19, 2020

Alluringly unique Well deserve win

Reply

Show 0 replies
DuVay Knox
04:26 Jul 19, 2020

Powerful drop. The epistolary style is always enjoyable to me. Reminds me of The Color Puple by Alice Walker.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.