A Sky Full of Seashells

Submitted into Contest #62 in response to: Write about a character putting something into a time capsule.... view prompt

26 comments

Science Fiction Happy

“Are you ready?” Kate beckoned her daughter to come near.


She was sitting cross legged on the turquoise rug in the center of the living room. The floor was covered in books and various household items, and in the middle of it was a fairly big stainless steel box which was currently empty, it’s lid wide open like the mouth of the Cookie Monster expecting to fill its stomach with treats.


“Yes, coming—” five-year-old Ashley replied, trailing after her a big colorful fabric bag.


“Let’s see. What do you have there, love?” Her mother inquired curiously while Ashley sat down next to her.


The little girl started to take various items out of the bag. “Here, I think we need to leave them something to eat. Just in case the people who find it get really hungry after digging.” She handed her a jar of honey. “Ms. Day says it never spoils. I hope they like honey.”


“Such a great idea!” Kate exclaimed. “I’m sure they’d appreciate it very much.” She took the jar, made sure it was tightly sealed, and put it in the box. “What next?”


“Well, they’ll be looking for a treasure, won’t they? I think it’d make them happier if they found one.” Ashley reached back into her bag and took out a small plastic treasure chest.


“That’s the treasure chest from your pirate set. Are you sure you don’t want to play with it anymore?”


“Yes, mommy,” the girl looked really convinced as she passed on the toy. “Look inside! Open it!”


Kate explored the contents of the chest – a few pennies and a nickel, some colorful rocks and shells they had gathered on their last trip to the beach, and a few quite unremarkable animal figures that had come from a Kellogg’s box.


“That’s really nice, Ash,” she commended her. “Is that all?”


“I don’t play with these baby toys anymore, so you can put them in there too.” She revealed that the rest of her bag was filled mostly with plush toys and stuffed animals. “And we can put in this photo too.”


“Lovely idea! Will do that.”  


“What about you, mommy? What are you going to put in the time capsule?”


***


I am woken up by the bright light of Jupiter shining across my face. Ashlee must have forgotten once again to dim the windows. Never mind, after my four hours of sleep I still feel fresh as a cucumber, even though I’ve never seen or tasted one. This is an expression I’ve learned while doing research on traditional farming. The latest data shows that Earth is slowly starting to regenerate, so Ashlee suggested we go down there and help bring the old third rock from the Sun back to life. Technically, she still owns some land that belonged to her family, and last we’ve checked it’s been lucky enough not to get swallowed by the ocean. All of this is actually really good news, considering the fact that the planet was struck by all types of climate change triggered disasters just a little over a century ago (in Earth years anyway; if you were to ask me, half a century is even faster from my point of view). Since her family was among the first colonies to leave it, my terrestrial girlfriend has never been to her home celestial body either. Naturally, she’s more than eager to explore her roots. Much like the green fruits and vegetables she dreams of planting there. Honestly, I’m also curious. Not that I don’t like Martian food or energy capsules, but life has not been the same since I’ve tasted Earth potatoes, carrots and garlic (mmm, garlic). If just the thought of those simple foods makes my salivary glands water, I could only imagine what it would be like to try even more varied produce.


While still dreaming of tomatoes and watermelons, I go to the kitchen where I quickly pop up a CoQ10 pill and turn on the tea kettle. Waiting for the water to boil, my peripheral vision is quickly summoned by the blinking red light by the front door. Incoming mail! I get excited because I know what this must mean. The parcel has finally arrived!


A few months back we hired contractors to check the state of Ashlee’s Earth plot of land and clean it a bit. There was nothing left of the house, of course, it being long destroyed by a tornado, but while the workers tested the soil to see if it would be able to grow food again, they found a buried treasure. Well, more like a very sturdy steel box, but to us anything coming from the blue planet is priceless. And today the mystery box is finally here!


I dash into the bedroom, eager to wake her up. Even though my little sleepyhead has spent all her life on Mars, she still appears to carry the Earth genes that force her to get at least six hours of quality bed time.


“It’s here,” I whisper gently into her ear.


“What? Where?” Ashlee rubs her eyes lazily and once she’s able to focus well she greets me with a smile, “Good morning.”


“Good morning, good morning!” I raise my eyebrows and repeat impatiently, “It’s here! The box!”


“You mean THE BOX!” Suddenly Ashlee sits up in bed all awake and alert. “Why didn’t you wake me up earlier?”


“I did. As soon as I—” I try to explain, but I’m cut short because she’s already thrown the covers away and is sprinting towards the kitchen.


“I’m so excited!” She jumps up and down around the treasure box. “Do you know what this means? This came from Earth!” She caresses the metal container on all sides and gives it a kiss on the lid.


“I know, I know. I’m just as excited as you are.”


“Hardly,” she always wants to be on top. “This is from MY home. My family!”


“OK, OK,” I agree, “Let’s just say that we both really want to know what’s inside. Can we open it already?”


She takes the box and places it in the middle of the big living room. There are a bunch of screws keeping the container tightly shut. Nothing that a magnetic screwdriver can’t solve in a matter of seconds. I let Ashlee do the honors and as she removes the metal cover we both stare hungrily, taking in each object on the inside one breath at a time.


At first we are a little taken aback. The box seems to be filled with all types of stuffed animals – bunnies, teddy bears, little sheep and cows. Is this a joke? I quickly realize it isn’t, “Oh, see, there’s stuff below. They must’ve used the toys as padding.”


Inside the big steel box we find a small plastic one. “A treasure within a treasure?” I suggest. “Open it.”


I am quickly drawn to the coins we find, “Wow! Those must be old Earth coins. These should be worth a fortune!”


Ashlee doesn’t hear me. She is staring hypnotized at the way Jupiter’s light is reflected as little rainbows off the surface of spiral shapes not much bigger than her hand. “Look, those are seashells—” she says while gazing in awe at the dancing colors. “Have you seen anything more beautiful? I wonder what a sea full of creatures would be like. The ones here are just water, rocks and sand—”


“Ahem,” I cough, “I’ve seen you and I wouldn’t trade you for some seashells.” I know I’m cheesy, but she laughs and tenderly strokes my cheek.


“What about this?” I almost drop the glass jar I’ve just taken out of the box, as reading the label causes quite a shock. “HONEY!? Ashlee, honey, this is HONEY! It’s literally liquid gold! This used to be made by little insects called bees. And there are no more bees on Earth or anywhere!”


“That’s great,” she replies quite unfazed. “Make sure it’s safe. We could sell it and finance even bigger projects. Then, once we replant and repopulate Earth, maybe even the bees could come back.”


I smile back at my little lady full of big ideas, “Maybe they will.” I get up to put the honey jar in a safe place and go back to exploring the contents of the metal box.


Curiously enough, the box also contains quite a few books (paper ones). They all seem to be old science fiction novels. Apparently whoever put them in there wanted future generations to find them and see if any writer’s predictions have come true. Actually, the colonies did bring Earth’s entire literary heritage in digital format, so I’m familiar with most of them. There are the classics (1984, Brave New World). There are a few space novels (Herbert, Bradbury, Adams). And oddly enough there is a romance novel called A Match Made on Mars, featuring a green alien with bald head and huge eyes (yet with a six pack) on the cover. Being a native Martian, I am strangely attracted by the last one.


I open the book at a random page and start reading. It’s hilarious. Apparently the hunky alien came with a ton of integrated gadgets that would pop out of his body just at the snap of his (only two) fingers. As I continue reading, I also learn that if the Martian’s special advanced body parts are not enough, he’s able to make his lady climax by simple telepathy. I’m almost rolling on the floor laughing, when suddenly I have a thought and leave the raunchy novel aside. “Ashlee, have you ever wished that we were more like what Earth books portrayed us to be?”


She’s distraught and doesn’t understand me at first, “We who? Us as a couple?”


“No, us – native Martians. Do you regret that I’m not special?”


“What do you mean you’re not special?” She looks at me incredulous. “You’re one of the most intelligent, confident, and handsome Martians I know. And you ARE special to me.”


“But I am not, you know… an alien.”


“Don’t be silly. It’s such a relief to know that we’re the same.” She leans over and gives me a peck on the lips. “Besides, there are no aliens. We all live in the same universe, don’t we?”


As my heart fills with joy for having the best girlfriend in the Milky Way, something slips from between the pages of the book. It’s an old printed photograph with three people hugging and grinning at the camera. On the back it says “Kate, Ben, Ashley”.


Ashlee takes it from my hands and looks at it as if she’s just found the Holy Grail. The emotion is too strong and her eyes start to water, “Ashley… that little girl is my great grandmother. She’s the one I was named after. She was too old when they had to leave, so she couldn’t go. She never made it to space—”


I put my arms around her and say, “But now we could go back and visit her home. I think it’s time we book those tickets to Earth!”


***


“Mommy, mommy,” Ashley kept skipping excitedly around the hole in the back yard where her father was burying the time capsule. “Do you think they’ll like the treasures we’ve left them?”


Kate smiled, “I’m sure they’ll love them.”


October 08, 2020 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Ray Dyer
20:45 Oct 12, 2020

I'm so glad you returned to the "present" at the end. It gave the story its perfect closure. Sitting here with a lump in my throat, having just finished. Your characterization and glimpse of the future is beautiful. The little girl is just right - full of energy but not over the top; that's a difficult balance. The scene is sweet enough without being too sweet. The whole thing works. I liked the touch of finding the honey in the time capsule. That was really cool. All the same, I hope nobody finds out that these predictions were tru...

Reply

Bianka Nova
10:49 Oct 13, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind words! I also hope most predictions don't come true, but sadly some of them inevitably do happen. I think we're currently experiencing quite a few. At least when writing you can craft the beautiful, hopeful ending you want. I've been doing it just in case these stories happen to trigger real events at some point in the future (see what happened to the Titanic 😅).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
18:51 Oct 11, 2020

That's such a cool story, Bianka! Of all the time capsule stories I've read on here so far, I haven't read one that involves opening the time capsule. And I love how you connected it over so many generations....and then returned to Ashley at the end. Great concept and such creative execution - I loved it!

Reply

Bianka Nova
19:02 Oct 11, 2020

Thank you, Kristin! I wanted to have a go at a sci-fi story, so the future part (and the opening of the box) was actually my true focus here. I guess the time capsule was just the means to get me there, and I'm glad you think it worked out 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
18:04 Oct 11, 2020

So, I read your bio. Did you publish a book? If you did, my gosh, congrats! Some mistakes that I see are, 'Ashley kept skipping excitedly around the hole in the back yard where her father was burying the time capsule.' There is another sentence where you refer to her as 'Ashlee.' 'Ashlee takes it from my hands and looks at it as if she’s just found the Holy Grail.' (Also, great use of figurative language, lol) But yeah. Is this a typo, or is Ashley's nickname Ashlee (though they're the same length, so that wouldn't really ...

Reply

Bianka Nova
18:20 Oct 11, 2020

Thanks, Raquel 😊 Yes I did (self)publish a novella, so it's like a minor achievement. Regarding the story, there are two Ashley/ee/s. One is past Ashley and the other is future Ashlee. The different spelling was done on purpose in order to distinguish them 🙃 I'm pressing "Follow" and I'll check some of your stories as soon as I can 😉

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
14:37 Oct 12, 2020

Omg, congrats! That's amazing! Oh, okay. Thank you for clearing it up!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
19:09 Oct 08, 2020

This feels like slice of Martian life. It's cute and nice, but not drama and not adventure. As a look at how things we think are mundane could become treasures in the future, it has merit, but for the tags it has, it's not very fulfilling. You manage to convey emotional context, and your flow is very polished, but the story doesn't do much. One group puts things in the capsule and the other draws them out to oohs and ahs. The prompt certainly could lead where you went, and in one respect you have a very clever interpretation. It's just, I'm ...

Reply

Bianka Nova
22:57 Oct 09, 2020

As always, your comment is much appreciated. And you're right, of course. I know exactly what you mean. The story goes against all rules, and there's no conflict whatsoever. It is cute (and happy; I think I've found the right category after all 😁). That's what it is. I'd also like to add uplifting, hopefully. (In fact I've almost obliterated Earth, so there's my hint of a conflict 😂) I've also thought about what I could do differently. Unfortunately, in such a short timeframe, the answer is not much. Once I've considered the options, I rea...

Reply

Charles Stucker
01:01 Oct 10, 2020

When you set out to do a particular thing and accomplish it, you succeeded. I tend to have tunnel vision of "Would this get published" and that makes all my reactions out of place when publishing is not the goal of a particular work.

Reply

Bianka Nova
10:07 Oct 10, 2020

No, no. It's fine. Really. I do use Reedsy more as practice and a way to showcase my style for free, but publishing is also a goal (even if I'm just a self-published author struggling to get visibility) and any advice on how to improve in that direction is also welcome. 😊 Ideally, I would love to be able not to worry how to pay my bills and just keep on writing as it's one of the most fulfilling things I do, but reality says that in order to get there one has to learn how to sell themselves 😅

Reply

Charles Stucker
11:19 Oct 10, 2020

Yes, and I am terrible at selling. It's why I work double hard to ensure those who read my work are happy with it. I have scores of tales which I will not release anywhere because they are not up to my standards.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Regina Perry
03:33 Nov 15, 2020

This is really sweet, Bianka! I love what you did with the names- spelling Ashlee differently so we would know she's a different character but still connected. I also love how the random bits of junk that the little girl put in the time capsule turned out to be worth way more than anything her mother put in. This is a great line: "there are no aliens. We all live in the same universe, don’t we?" I did notice some minor mistakes regarding punctuation, especially around dialogue. So you know for the future, if the words you're using before or...

Reply

Bianka Nova
15:55 Nov 15, 2020

Thanks a lot for reading and commenting, and especially for the dialogue tip. I'm always learning things, and I haven't realized that a comma comes only after a dialogue tag, and not a full on sentence. You're the first one to point it out. 🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
21:43 Oct 19, 2020

Beautifully written! I love the depth and detail. As well as how creative it is

Reply

Bianka Nova
10:51 Oct 20, 2020

Thank you for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yolanda Wu
05:34 Oct 15, 2020

This was such a cute story, I loved how you wrote the connection between the present and the future which I thought was really clever. The ending was so sweet and I love how everything came together, and the incorporation of the science fiction elements was done really well. Amazing work, Bianka!

Reply

Bianka Nova
11:02 Oct 15, 2020

Thank you, Yolanda! Actually, that was my first dabble into science fiction. I'd definitely practice some more in the future.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
04:15 Oct 08, 2020

Omg when you said "story is on" I thought you meant you just started writing :P Anyway, WOW, this was such a joy to read. It was happy. It was upbeat. It was wholesome. That sense of fulfillment at the end when she finally digs up her past is beautiful--the type of vibe I try to capture in my stories. Basically, I love the emotions you got here ;) Especialy since it's not in Ashlee's POV, so it's as if the boyfriend is us watching her get all emotional. That was clever. I love the references to sci-fi novels! Though I hope to god that ...

Reply

Bianka Nova
14:55 Oct 08, 2020

Thanks a bunch for the encouragement! 😊 I do plan to edit a bit. I'll just let it sit for a day or two. When you research what kind of food grows well on Mars, one of the top 5 that pops up is garlic, so I immediately gave it its premium spot in the story. 😋 And nope, the Martian novel is not real. It's complicated if you have to quote a real book, and I also didn't want to offend any fellow author. (Although, considering you can find novels on anything out there, it's quite possible something similar does exist already) 😁

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
22:19 Oct 08, 2020

Oh nice, at least I won’t go hungry if I end up on Mars If that Martian with a six pack thing doesn’t exist yet... maybe someone should write it? 😉 Idk, might make for a really bizarre comedy

Reply

Bianka Nova
22:40 Oct 08, 2020

Haha. Hmm... I'll think about it. I know I'm prone to writing stupid funny stuff sometimes, but for now I have a couple of less crazy (but hopefully with at least good entertainment value) projects to concentrate on 🙃

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
00:16 Oct 09, 2020

Fair enough. Oh and I’m loving the new title, way better than the ones I suggested

Reply

Bianka Nova
10:03 Oct 09, 2020

Thanks. It just came to me and even though it's not a perfect fit I don't think I could ever use it in another story, so I just had to assign it to this one 😉 By the way, don't think that yours were not good. From: Earth was actually a very strong contender; it was a close call 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
00:07 Oct 08, 2020

I know the title is a bit generic. I'll try to think of something more original soon. I also kind of selected the first three categories I thought fit. Let me know if you think there are others more appropriate ones. Thanks and good night! :)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
04:24 Oct 08, 2020

Hmm, for titles, here's some I thought of: >"From: Earth" >"Worlds Away" >"Through Time and Space" I think the Adventure category is a bit weird. But the other two are fine :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.