51 comments

Kids Fantasy

Jessie was BORED.

Inexplicably BORED.

Unimaginably BORED. 

Ever since she’d finished college, everything was boring! What Jessie WANTED to be doing was drawing, but artists aren’t paid enough to pay the mortgage unless they’re so extremely gifted or so extremely lucky, and Jessie was neither. What she was was lying on the floor of her apartment, miserable. After ten to fifteen minutes, she got up and drank some chocolate milk out of the bottle. After finishing that, Jessie grumped over to her bed and sat, thinking. She had finished her work at six, and she didn’t have anything else to do. She went to her bookshelf, small as it was, desperate for something to do. 

Reading wasn’t a priority for Jessie. It was just something she did for work, usually. Doodling was more fun for her. The only book Jessie liked had disappeared after she’d closed it, and then again Jessie was sure that had been a dream. 

The bookshelf was barren and dusty due to rare use, and the few titles still there were so old that the covers were falling off. 

Jessie read the spines lazily. There were a few classic fairy tales and a few accounting books (Jessie had quit accounting a few months earlier), but one book, hidden behind a few others, caught her eye. It was pure, clean white with a flash of rainbow colors down the middle. The title was ‘Color World’, but the author's name was strangely absent. 

Jessie smiled with recognition, picking the book off the shelf and opening the first page.

Tendrils of bright, vivid color sprung from the page. They wrapped around Jessie, almost constricting, but Jessie wasn’t uncomfortable in the slightest. This had happened once before, when she had been only five. This exact book had been on the bookshelf, waiting for her to open it. 

The tendrils swirled and curved like a rainbow, twirling and wrapping tight. Suddenly, the colors fell away. Jessie found herself in a field of green grass blanketed in a baby blue sky. Her drab pantsuit had morphed into a colorful dress, rainbow-patterned. Jessie couldn’t remember ever feeling this light.

She ran, cartwheeled and laughed, the smile never leaving her face. Soon she came upon a small pavilion. There were people inside, but they had...wings?!?! They were fairies! There were three of them. They all wore white dresses with rainbow-striped sashes. One, seemingly the leader, noticed Jessie and turned. 

“Oh, she’s back! Abbie, Meredith, she’s back!”

The other two turned and smiled wide. The leader cleared her throat and sighed. “You probably don’t remember us, but we’re the Color World fairies, Abbie, Meredith and Lisa. You last came when you were...five? Six?” 

“Five,” Jessie interrupted, staring at her feet.

“Ah, yes. You last came when you were five. Abbie, don’t you remember teaching Miss Jessie how to do a backbend?” Lisa smiled when Abbie nodded. “Good times.” 

Lisa turned to Jessie. “What would you like to do, dear? Color World is for having fun!”

Jessie looked up. “I can do...anything?”

“Anything you like,” Lisa promised.

Smiling, Jessie said, “I’d like to draw.”

Lisa looked surprised. “Well, that’s easy.” She produced a long rainbow wand with a crystal at its point. With a flick of Lisa’s wand, a chair, desk, drawing pad and colored pencils appeared in the field. 

Jessie sat down to work and was about to begin her drawing when she stopped, seeing the fairies’ hung heads and disappointed faces. 

Jessie gave a warm smile. “I have an idea,” she said, and the fairies looked up from the ground. “Let’s do a drawing competition!”

The fairies immediately brightened. Lisa conjured three more sets of materials and they hastily got to work. After ten minutes, everyone was done. Meredith’s pineapple was very realistic, but it was no match for Abbie’s doughnut. Lisa drew a very nice china doll, but in the end Jessie’s cat took the cake. Lisa created a silver circlet labeled in rainbow letters ‘DRAWING QUEEN’ and placed it atop Jessie’s head. Jessie had enjoyed this competing and challenged the fairies to baking, rock climbing, and cello-playing competitions. Lisa’s lemon cupcakes were just divine, Abbie was agile and quick on the rocks, and Meredith’s skill with the strings surpassed anybody else’s, so eventually they all wore crowns of one kind or another. 

After hours of fun, the four were exhausted. They sat in massage chairs watching the sun set over the pavilion. When Lisa called “Good night,” the massage chairs turned into king-sized beds with fluffy rainbow comforters and unicorn face masks.

In the morning, Jessie woke up to the sound of laughing. The fairies had conjured up what each one really wanted to eat. Lisa had a Belgian waffle with a berry smoothie, Abbie had scrambled eggs and blueberry pancakes, and Meredith...Meredith got a five-tiered chocolate cake. Lisa noticed that Jessie had woken and smiled. “Look who’s awake! I’ll get you some breakfast.”

The fairy flicked her wand and a platter of grilled cheese sandwiches with orange juice appeared on her lap. Jessie smiled and started eating. 

Once breakfast was over, the fairies had planned to do a hockey competition, but Meredith was sick with cake. Lisa cleared up the indigestion but Meredith was too full to do anything but moan and throw up. Jessie, Abbie and Lisa played air hockey instead for a while. When they checked on Meredith, she looked significantly rounder but otherwise fine. 

They geared up and played hockey, then basketball, then lacrosse. When they got tired again, Jessie remembered that she needed to be home to go to work. She told Lisa but the fairy couldn’t hear her over the hum of the massage chairs. After she finally got the message, Lisa frowned. 

“That’s too bad,” she sighed, then brightened. “Can we do one more thing?” 

Jessie nodded. “Sure, but make it quick.”

Lisa told the other fairies, who each pouted. They whispered together, and came toward Jessie. 

“There’s something we’d like to show you,” Lisa told her. She held out a small rainbow camera, showing Jessie a picture. 

It was of the fairies and Jessie, but Jessie had been five years old. Tears sprung to her eyes, but Jessie blinked them away, smiling. Five-year-old Jessie wore a white T-shirt, a rainbow tutu and a big, happy grin. The fairies hadn’t changed a bit either. 

“We took this just before you left,” Lisa told Jessie, sad undertones in her usual smile.

“Could we take another one?” Meredith piped up. “Please?” 

“Sure,” Jessie agreed and Lisa gave her a reassured look. 

They got into position, and with a click, Jessie’s second time with the fairies was saved in the camera  forever.

Lisa cleared her throat. “All you have to do is close the book.” The fairy pointed to the pavilion, where a familiar white book lay on a small table. 

Jessie’s lips had a faint frown to them as she approached the book. She was going back—back to the boring world that was reality. Back to lying on the floor, drinking a quart of chocolate milk at a time. But Jessie was ready, because she knew that wonderful places like Color World were there when you needed them.

Jessie picked up the book. Smiling and waving to the fairies, she shut it.

Jessie found herself on the floor of her room in front of the bookshelf. She remembered Lisa, Meredith, Abbie and Color World. She smiled, then reached up to her head. A crown sat on her head. At first she thought it was her Drawing Queen one, but as she read the rainbow lettering, she grinned. It read: 

COLOR WORLD QUEEN

Thanks for all the fun!

Jessie whispered into the clinking metal of the circlet, giggling a little as she did,

“Thank you.”

July 24, 2020 19:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

Amany Sayed
20:40 Aug 06, 2020

Oh wow, this was so creative! It kind of felt like I was watching a movie! Great job Sarah! Also, I wanted to thank you for putting me in my bio, and I'm glad you enjoyed Wall of Color (by me hehe). I just put you in my bio. Thanks again, and waiting for your next story! Keep writing!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
20:57 Aug 06, 2020

Yay!!! Thanks!!! I really, REALLY liked Wall of Color. Definitely AWESOME. Glad you liked my story! I’ll be sure to check out some more of yours. Thanks!!!

Reply

Amany Sayed
21:00 Aug 06, 2020

No problamoooooo Glad you liked Wall of Color, it was fun to write

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:43 Jul 29, 2020

This story reminds me of the song 'Viva Forever' by some girls, Spice Girls? I think. Very colourful.

Reply

Sarah Freeman
15:32 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks! I don’t actually know the song, but I hope it’s one you like!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:33 Jul 29, 2020

I had lost in the color world, you have created. I loved the way you started the story. Jessie was BORED. Inexplicably BORED. Unimaginably BORED. Very calm to read. It was a nice read. :D Hope you don't mind, to check my stories and leave a feedback. Thank You!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
15:31 Jul 29, 2020

Thank YOU! I will make sure to read some of your stories! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Leya Newi
01:41 Jul 29, 2020

I got to say, I loved the way you started this. Jessie’s BOREDOM drew me straight in and wasn’t boring at all! I also loved how the place she visited was a magical book. Best. Thing. Ever. It also reminds me a little of the book Bob by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead where a girl remembers about a little magic creature when she visits her grandma after a long time. I’m pretty sure this is compliment, since I loved that book, but you also have your own awesome unique style. Keep writing!!!!!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:44 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you!!! I’ve actually never read that book, but maybe I will. Sounds interesting. Yes, I really liked the beginning too. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

Reply

Leya Newi
14:52 Jul 30, 2020

You’re welcome! :) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
01:11 Jul 29, 2020

You have a very distinctive writing voice. Your ability to start with bored, bored, bored and still make it work is the sign that you should write for a tween market. Middle school books run 15000 to 35000 words, so if you have an idea and start writing, you might finish in a few weeks of daily progress. Once you do, have someone PUSH hard to get an agent. You have a few years before your writing voice is apt to change so you want to capitalize on it NOW, not a year or two down the road. Write a novel and then another and another after it....

Reply

Sarah Freeman
01:59 Jul 29, 2020

Yeah, middle school voice is sorta my thing. I honestly know nothing about marketing or publication, so thanks for the advice! I do have writer’s block right now but this info will certainly be useful soon. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
02:42 Jul 28, 2020

Cool story Sarah! I liked it a lot.

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:44 Jul 30, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
01:34 Jul 25, 2020

Hey Sarah! A great take on this prompt! I loved it! Awesome job!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
23:39 Jul 25, 2020

Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Freeman
23:39 Jul 25, 2020

Glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

👏👏👏

Reply

Sarah Freeman
20:37 Jul 24, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
13:38 Apr 21, 2021

I really really like this story! I totally relate to Jessie, and I loved the way she responsibly went back even though she wasn't so happy in her job. Nice! PS- My surprise for you is out. :)

Reply

Sarah Freeman
21:31 Apr 21, 2021

OOOOOOOOOO tysm and I will now go check!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:18 Jul 27, 2020

This is marvelous. Great to see young writers on this website!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:45 Jul 30, 2020

Yeah! Thank you so much!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexi Delavigne
21:57 Jul 27, 2020

A fun and sweet story, good job :)

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:45 Jul 30, 2020

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M J
13:02 Jul 27, 2020

Sarah, this story is so beautiful! It reminded me of Spirited Away (a Studio Ghibli film) a little bit. I think we all need a Color World to disappear into every once in a while. You're a fantastic writer!

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:00 Jul 27, 2020

Yes, that was what I was going for!!! Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies—have you watched Totoro? It’s my favorite movie and it’s by Studio Ghibli too. Thank you so much for your kind comments!!!

Reply

M J
17:41 Jul 27, 2020

I haven't seen Totoro, but I have seen Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, the latter being my very favorite film. I've been fangirling ever since I've seen these movies, haha.

Reply

Sarah Freeman
19:20 Jul 27, 2020

Yes! I love Howl’s Moving Castle, especially the little flame guy. Hilarious.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
21:28 Jul 26, 2020

I have read numerous books and I would say this fits in with stories from writers before TV, social media, and other imagination stealers. Very well done with the imagination for we all need some. Thoughts of many fantasy books I read came to mind as I read yours hoping one day I will see your name as a best-seller.

Reply

Sarah Freeman
01:51 Jul 27, 2020

Thank you so much Corey!!! I’m glad you liked it!!! 😃😃😃

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
20:40 Jul 26, 2020

This was a really enjoyable read! Well done :)

Reply

Sarah Freeman
20:47 Jul 26, 2020

Thanks!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:05 Jul 31, 2020

I always love a trip to magical lands and beings😊. Great job

Reply

Sarah Freeman
15:00 Jul 31, 2020

Me too! Have you read Keeper of the Lost Cities? It’s along those lines and it happens to be my favorite book series ever. Thanks!!!

Reply

15:01 Aug 01, 2020

I haven't but I will surely check it out

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
10:08 Jul 31, 2020

Lovely Sarah, keep up the good work! - and as you mention in your bio - nothing at all wrong with being a "grammar freak" - it'll pay off in the end

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:59 Jul 31, 2020

Thanks! Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
04:53 Jul 31, 2020

Great talent. Cute story. I enjoyed the tale. Keep writing 😊

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:58 Jul 31, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

This was a very touching story! I love how it makes reconnect with remembering that even now that I’m older, that I still have a bit of my child self within me. I enjoyed this very much. Well done!🧡❤️🤟🏾

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:31 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Khizra Aslam
06:36 Jul 30, 2020

Hey Sarah, as you followed me so I am here to read your story. This story reminds me of a cartoon I used to watch, Winx club. That cartoon was also based on fairies basically. I loved the idea how you created a magical world through a magical book. It was surely an interesting read that intrigued me to read it till end.

Reply

Sarah Freeman
14:31 Jul 30, 2020

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kira Krieger
21:59 Jul 29, 2020

Interesting start. Better than the last. I crave detail from you. Right now it reads like a bullet list rather than a story. Starting from "What she was was lying on the floor of her apartment, miserable", try What she was was sprawled on the floor of her low-end/dismal apartment. She stared at the ceiling as a blanket of darkness covered her. She was like this often. When her inspiration escaped her. It lasted for what seemed like forever but always ended with a trip to the fridge. A chill raced down her body as her eyes stuck from th...

Reply

Sarah Freeman
22:20 Jul 29, 2020

Good idea! I’ll try that in my next short story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.