591 comments

Drama Christmas

First story at Reedsy!


Each year the Sorenson's held the most flamboyant cookie exchange in all of Durinsville This was partially due to the fact that they were the most well-known bakery in all of Pennsylvania.  Of course, there were certain people who were not invited each year, and they had a most horrid time, since Durinsville was a small town, and the Sorenson's inhabited the biggest house (or mansion as we shall say?) which of course could be seen from any point in the town. If you have never had to experience this sort of exclusion or pure solitude at the most festive time of the year, let me gladly describe it to you.  

The whole town is bustling to get ready for an amazing party that is arguably the pinnacle of festivity and excitement in the holidays. We say arguably because they also host the annual baking fest, which is equally delighted in (but that’s for another story). For the past week the whole town has rushed out to their mailboxes in anticipation of a creamy lemon-yellow colored envelope, tied with a rose-colored ribbon stamped with the wax crest of the Small World Bakery. Those who received one immediately began picking a recipe for a batch of cookies to present at the party. However, by December 14th, if you didn’t receive an envelope, well, all hope shall be lost, since the party was on the 15th, and everybody knows how punctilious and orderly the Sorenson's are. Now, on the night of the great cookie exchange, you could see people all over town happily bustling to the great Sorenson Mansion. Children holding tin pans would knock at the great oak door, and would be met by the cheery faces of Grammy Sorenson and her four children, and their twelve children who were all bakers at Small World Bakery. The whole town is there, where music and the delectable smell of baked goods arise from the Mansion.  

Now, normally everybody is invited, except for a few. Namely competing bakeries of Small World Bakery, people who once caused trouble at previous cookie exchange parties like Jonas and Randall Smith who brought dog treats one year, and Angelica Hardhardt who pushed over a table of baked goods containing all the cookies one other year. Perhaps the Smith brothers and Angelica Hardhardt deserved it, but the Miller family didn’t. They were a notable family that owned a very renowned bakery that specialized in holiday cookies of all kind, named Pastry Delights. They were the main rivaling bakery of Small World Bakery, so you can see why they weren’t invited. However, they were a simply delightful family. Especially Charlotte Miller, a thirteen year old girl who helped out her parent at the bakery each day and was often referred to as, ‘that sweet little gal’ by customers.  

You can imagine her torture when each and every one of her friends happily sets off for a most delightful party whilst she stays home, quietly doing her homework.  

This particular year, Pastry Delights, had nearly outperformed Small World Bakery during the Thanksgiving Bake sale. Small World Bakery was out to get their revenge. But not in the usual way. 

On the morning of the 15th, Charlotte watched woefully as each of her friends started getting ready for the party. Delilah had especially called her to ask her opinion on a red, long sleeved dress lined with white fur that reached to her mid thighs.  

“Yes, it does look very nice. Especially paired with a Santa hat.” 

“Oh, you think so Charlotte? Me too. What are you wearing? Oh wait, you’re not going. Whoops.” But Delilah didn’t look all that sorry (after all, one less competitor for the heart of Shawn Sorenson).  

Amelia Hepburn, who had never been extremely nice to Charlotte, very rudely remarked, “Some people do deserve to miss out on all the fun. Just look at your horrid fashion sense.” while Charlotte was walking the dog. To which Charlotte could not find a stinging remark fast enough, and when she did (“I do think you’re referring to yourself.”) Amelia was long gone.  

Even Lexine Warren, who was Charlotte’s best friend had turned down Charlotte’s offer to go to the movies, saying she was busy getting her hair crimped. So thus, Charlotte could only idly look out the window and watch the rest of the town get all fussed up. Only ten minutes later, however, she saw Shawn Sorenson (what handsome eyes) ambling along the road. This got her attention. Yes, partially because most girls in town had a crush on him (including her) and also because he was walking towards her house! Oh my! It was a rarity to see any Sorenson to come out on the 15th due to their frenzied preparation for the evening, but to come towards their sword enemy? 

But the excitement didn’t end there. As Shawn stopped in front of their house, he pulled out from his pocket a lemon-yellow colored envelope, tied with a rose-colored ribbon. At this moment, Charlotte practically flew out the door, bounded down the steps and ran towards the mailbox. Shawn had opened the latch and was sliding the envelope inside when Charlotte arrived.  

“Oh. Look who it is. Well, since you’re already here, I needn’t waste an envelope, I’ll just tell you.” This condescending tone was familiar as always, and both Charlotte’s older brothers had endured the same treatment from other Sorenson members.  

“You are hereby invited to the annual cookie exchange at 707, Durin Lane. Be there at six-o'clock sharp and bring a dozen hand-baked cookies.” Here Shawn stopped and added in, “Why don’t you bring your signature chocolate chip cookies? Everybody seems to enjoy them.” He cleared his throat and continued, “We wish you all a very happy holidays, and we hope to see you soon! Signed, Sorenson Family.” Charlotte could not believe her ears! Not only could she finally go to the spectacular party for the first time in her life, she was being invited to it by none other than Shawn Sorenson!  

“So you’ll accept?” 

“Of course! And of course, I’ll bring Pastry Delights’ signature chocolate chip cookies. They sold out the fastest at the bake sale you know. Sold out much faster than your chocolate chip cookies.” She couldn’t help add in the last sentence, since it was customary to never forget about the rivalry that was forever present.  

“Excellent. See you at six.” With that, he turned on his heel and rapidly walked away.  

A few blocks away, at 707 Durin Lane, Grammy Sorenson adjusted her glasses on her hooked nose. The rest of the Sorenson family gathered around her. She waited dramatically for total silence and anticipation, before she finally announced,  

“Twenty minutes ago, I sent my dear grandson Shawn on a very important mission.” Here she paused, and waited for the excited clamor to stop, for old age had turned her voice feeble and delicate.  

“I told him to go to the Miller family, and invite them to our cookie exchange tonight.” An indignant uproar ensued.  

“But they’re our enemies!” 

“Invite them, to our party!? The audacity!” 

“Why, Grammy, are you feeling alright?” 

“Oh my, we haven’t talked to them at all for three generations!” When their voices and muttering died down, Grammy continued.  

“But not as friends, as foes. As we all know, three weeks ago, at the Thanksgiving Bake sale, we were utterly humiliated by the performance of their chocolate chip cookies.” Everybody agreed to this statement.  

“Just simply horrid; to be beaten by the Millers? Why, they’re nothing but rookies!” 

“Tsk, it’s their secret ingredient I say!” This was a popular theory among the Sorenson family, and had been for the last week. Grammy fueled this notion emphatically. At that moment, the door banged open, and Shawn Sorenson stood there triumphantly.

"Grammy. The deed has been done. The silly girl, Charlotte, will be bringing the chocolate chip cookies tonight!" When she heard this, a wide grin spread across Grammy's face.

"It is time to figure out their secret recipe, and our honor shall be restored. Reinstating our position as the best bakery in this state, for once and for all!"



My first story at Reedsy! Shoutout to LitLover and Mira Caplan (amazing writers!!!) for recommending Reedsy to me. And for reminding (no, more like insisting) that I get this story out. Thx y'all and enjoy!

December 08, 2020 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

591 comments

Corey Melin
01:41 Jan 24, 2021

Very well done. It flowed well so kept your attention. It will be interesting to see what is up Grammies sleeve. Cliff hanger

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
01:43 Jan 24, 2021

Oh thank you for the praise! Yes, Grammy will eventually get the cookies and figure out the recipe... thwarted by a young girl's love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
02:40 Dec 30, 2020

I loved the subtle humor in this one--your narrative voice was just a bit snarky ("what handsome eyes"), and I was highly amused :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
07:17 Dec 26, 2020

nice story at the first attempt. Even I don't how the approval works, last week I submitted a nice story according to the prompts but still didn't get approved. By the way, I like your stories, they are cute and good. I would love your feedback on some of my stories too. Want to know your perspective.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
11:19 Dec 26, 2020

Approval takes some time I guess... imma check out your story for sure since you left such amazing feedback from on mine!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ben Stoudt
13:06 Dec 21, 2020

gingerbread =)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeni Conrad
12:15 Dec 18, 2020

Loved the characterization of the town! I live in a place a lot like this, haha. Good job :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
14:02 Dec 18, 2020

Wow! Really? There's a town in Oregon that I based this story on. I went to a 3-month sleepaway summer camp there once!

Reply

Jeni Conrad
13:31 Dec 19, 2020

That sounds really fun! I live in WV, and we have a lot of small places. People are always up in each other's business.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jeni Conrad
13:32 Dec 19, 2020

That sounds really fun! I live in WV, and we have a lot of small places. People are always up in each other's business.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
04:09 Dec 17, 2020

amazing first story!!! look, now u got 63 likes:) good job

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
13:42 Dec 17, 2020

wowza! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:30 Dec 16, 2020

Part 7's out!!!!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:57 Jan 26, 2021

mira!!!! look... this post is at ZERO. PEEPS ARE STILL DOWNVOTING YOU EVEN THOUGH I"VE UPVOTED ALL OF THESE!!!!!!! Can we please upvote each other?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sol Campbell
05:21 Apr 29, 2022

😍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Antonio Jesus
18:17 Feb 02, 2021

Excuse me Jennie how do you think of a story sorry to bother you are you the one that followed me because I'm new I just started today can you help me please.

Reply

Heya! I'm not Jennie, but she's prolly busy so do you want me to help you?

Reply

Antonio Jesus
00:27 Mar 06, 2021

ok

Reply

Antonio Jesus
16:25 Mar 08, 2021

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Antonio Jesus
18:13 Feb 02, 2021

Excuse me Jennie how do you make up a story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:42 Dec 29, 2020

I added you into my new story for the top ten prompt and I think you'll like it if you read it... If you don't, that's okay.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:12 Dec 29, 2020

Wowowowow!!!! Meeee????

Reply

18:28 Dec 29, 2020

Yes! Did you read your part?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emily Range
01:58 Dec 17, 2020

Your language is so smooth and beautiful; I can´t wait to read more of your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
21:08 Dec 16, 2020

NEW MALEFICE IS OUT

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
00:11 Dec 17, 2020

omg can't wait! (i was playing in the snow lol)

Reply

. .
00:30 Dec 17, 2020

HEHEHEHEHE ME TOOOOOO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gabrielle Marian
18:29 Dec 15, 2020

Wow, this story was really good! Loved the twist at the end!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:31 Dec 15, 2020

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Writers Block
00:19 Dec 14, 2020

I love the bakery names and great dialogue

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
01:21 Dec 14, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:26 Dec 13, 2020

OMG stop giving me so many points!!!!!!!!! I need somewhere to give you points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :((((((((( :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD ((((((((((((((;

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:45 Dec 13, 2020

i'm on a binge reeeaaaaaad

Reply

22:53 Dec 13, 2020

XD Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:20 Dec 13, 2020

lollllllll you have so many! 61 wowwz

Reply

23:34 Dec 13, 2020

Yeah no kidding

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
16:05 Dec 12, 2020

NEW STORY ALERTTT!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
16:34 Dec 11, 2020

Omg Jennie you put Malefice in your bio!! And TDR!!! And the red herrings and tenses!!! Yay you so kind!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:09 Dec 11, 2020

well, Malefice is AMAZING! Dragon Races are the best! so why wouldn't i?

Reply

. .
17:10 Dec 11, 2020

Awww, you too kind!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:48 Dec 11, 2020

nooooooo she ended when I brought a 1,000,000 powerup

Reply

. .
18:51 Dec 11, 2020

Ha lol

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
18:57 Dec 11, 2020

so did you

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
21:36 Dec 17, 2020

Jennnnn you gotta write another story!!!!!!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
21:47 Dec 17, 2020

I AM!!!!!!! it's DEFINITELY GONNA BE OUT TODAY

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:53 Dec 10, 2020

Jennnnnnnnn you're in SS, right?

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:53 Dec 10, 2020

yeah... so are you! my dog ran away so i'm tending to that

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:01 Dec 10, 2020

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:02 Dec 10, 2020

Now I see you! Your name, anyway

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:53 Dec 10, 2020

Luke and I didn't see you on Zoom XD

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:54 Dec 10, 2020

lolll I was chasing my dog

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:02 Dec 10, 2020

I wish I had a dog

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:17 Dec 10, 2020

my dog 1. sleeps 2. runs away 3. eat furniture

Reply

Mira Caplan
17:19 Dec 10, 2020

XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD That's HILAROUSSSSSS

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.