Contest #55 shortlist ⭐️

79 comments

Fantasy Adventure


    Can you keep a secret?

    Five simple words. This innocent question, posed as it was by a king, caused Daedalus untold grief. He had answered in the affirmative and remained true to his word, yet still King Minos had imprisoned him so that he may never speak of the monarch’s monstrous secret.

    The injustice of it burned Daedalus, but his true lament was reserved for his fellow captive – his son. The boy was just as innocent of wrongdoing as his father, but the imprisonment was infinitely harder on the youth for he knew not the reason for his confinement.

    As the weeks stretched into months, turned to years, as time lost all meaning and the burden of seemingly endless incarceration weighed ever heavier on their souls, Daedalus had watched helplessly as the light slowly faded from his son’s eyes. He knew hope was as crucial to survival as bread and water. A man could endure almost anything so long as the flickering flame of aspiration burned within his breast, there to ignite the dreams and passions that are the refuge of the sane mind amid calamity. He could not allow his son to lose heart, for it was on the wings of hope that the boy would be afforded the possibility of escape.

    Just like the king, Daedalus harbored a secret of his own. A life-long master craftsman, he had turned his capable hand to fashioning a device that would, if all went to plan, serve as his son’s salvation. He knew that in freeing the boy he would ensure his own death by remaining behind, but if that was the price, it was one he would pay gladly.





    “What are you working on?” the lad asked again and again.

    “Freedom,” Daedalus would reply each time through lips cracked and bleeding.

    Thus reassured, the youth would turn once more to the solitary window in their tower-top cell, gazing longingly out at the gulls as they wheeled and soared in the sun-dappled sky. Their prison on the Northern shore of the island offered little by way of comfort but it did command a breathtaking view of the infinite blue beyond. To Daedalus, the panoramic vista, near enough to touch yet achingly just out of reach, seemed a cruel reminder of freedom denied, but he was encouraged by the boy’s desirous contemplation of the world beyond. To a bird that spends long enough in a cage, flying comes to seem a disease. So long as his son held fast to dreams of one day soaring free, anything was possible.

    Fully aware that he held those timid hopes in his careworn hands, cradled like some fragile feathered thing, Daedalus devoted himself anew each day to his task. Time was of the essence and he dare not fail.

    There seemed to be a measure of justice to Daedalus in using his skills to break the shackles of internment, given how those same skills were responsible for their predicament in the first place.

    He had once been known as the greatest architect in Athens, so it was only natural that Minos, King of Crete, had summoned him in his hour of greatest need. The king’s wife had strayed from her marriage bed in the most unforgivable manner, and the monstrosity born of her blasphemous infidelity with the Cretan Bull had so shamed Minos that he wished to conceal it from the world for all eternity. He had commanded Daedalus to build a prison from which the beast could never escape and the craftsman had complied, unknowingly constructing his own cage in the process.

    Daedalus built not a prison but a labyrinth, and, once finished, so convoluted where its endless passageways that none who ventured in could ever find their way out again. Only the craftsman knew the secret to successfully navigating the maze, just as he alone was privy to the secret of the unspeakable abomination that dwelt captive at its center. The secret Minos wished dearly to remain buried. Task complete, the king had imprisoned Daedalus to ensure his silence.

    The punishment was temporary, Daedalus knew. Sooner or later Minos would realize his desire for eternal secrecy could only be attained with the permanent removal of the craftsman. The looming specter of impending execution spurred him onward. Daedalus labored day and night, all the while praying he would finish his task in time.





    While he worked through the lightless hours, Daedalus watched his son sleep and dream his dreams of flight and freedom. He loved the lad beyond the expression of mere words. The boy was his world, the sole light in an existence otherwise stained with shadow.

    He had known his son was different from the first. A ‘dreamer’ the scholars of Daedalus’ acquaintance said of the boy with smirks that betrayed just how they thought such an individual would fare later in life. Daedalus paid them no mind; he had little doubt his son would one day attain great heights.

    The boy was possessed of constant wonder at the splendor of the natural world around him, which all others took for granted. He delighted in the feel of the gentle breeze, marveled at the soft kiss of sun on skin, and exulted in the rain as it lashed down from the firmament. He voiced an unending stream of questions.

    “How deep is the sea?”

    “Where does the sun go when it sets?”

    “What lies above the clouds?”

    And, most commonly, “How do birds fly?” Daedalus suspected that along with the last went the boy’s unspoken secret desire to do the same.

    Rather than dismissing these queries as the inane ramblings of youth, as would any other father, Daedalus took them as a promising sign of his son’s agile mind and knew it would one day evolve into formidable intellect. As such, he took it upon himself to instruct the boy in the ways of the world.

    “Never fall prey to Hubris,” he cautioned. “Naught but misery awaits he who attempts to rise beyond his given station in life; who places too much stock in his own ability.”

    On other occasions, he advised his attentive pupil, “Beware, too, false modesty. A bird that flies too close to the sea shall perish just as surely as one who ventures too near the sun. Know your place always – be no more or less than you were intended to be. That, my son, is the essence of humility.”

    So excessive was his pride in the boy that Daedalus was in danger of contravening his own advice, but that mattered not at all. The one thing in this life that should never be subject to limiting restraint is the bounds of a parent’s love.

    Fueled by the flames of his burning devotion, Daedalus worked on.





    When the day finally came, the sun rose high, just as it had on every other before. Its setting, however, was a sight Daedalus knew he would not witness. The ominous, triple-strike tolling of the bell in the courtyard below was a sound only heard on rare occasions – days of execution. He wished for more time, but he knew the guards would come for them at any moment. The time for action had arrived. If it was to be done at all, it was best done at once.

    “Now listen to me well, son. Do exactly as I say and freedom shall be yours before this day is through.”

    “But what of you, Father? Will you not be coming with me?”

    “Aye,” Daedalus savagely bit back tears. “In good time, lad. We shall meet again one day, have no doubt of that. For now, you need to go alone. Do you understand?”

    The boy nodded, fighting tears of his own. He saw through his father’s reassurances to the resounding finality of the sound of goodbye beneath.

    “Come then, we haven’t much time.”

    Daedalus retrieved the object of his ceaseless hours of labor from its place of concealment amid the gull’s nests beneath the eaves. It looked to the boy like a bundle of feathers, hundreds upon hundreds of them, intricately woven and bound with candle wax to form…

    “Wings?” he breathed in rapture.

    “Yes, wings, “Daedalus confirmed. “The keys to freedom. We must hurry now.” The drumbeat of heavy footfalls from the stairwell echoed through the small chamber.

    He affixed the plumage to his son’s arms with several strips of worn leather. They seemed woefully inadequate, but there was naught Daedalus could do now but hope they held true.

    “What do I do, Father?”

    There was no time for instruction. The door crashed in amid a cacophony of angry shouts.

    “Just remember all I’ve taught you,” Daedalus replied. “Follow your heart. Do what you were born to.” He then roughly embraced his son, kissed him on the forehead, and pushed him out the window. “Fly, Icarus!” he shouted after the boy’s fast retreating form. “Fly!”





    Icarus fell.

    He plunged headlong to his doom on the jagged rocks below but, in the fleeting eternity of the fall, he felt no fear. In fully accepting his imminent destruction he came to see that death is not the opposite of life, it is part of life – the two as inseparable as the dividing line between sea and sky on the horizon’s edge. To truly come alive is to embrace death, to laugh in its face and, in so doing, transcend it.

    Does not the joy of living derive from the ever-present threat of the grave?

    Icarus spread wide his arms to welcome his fate as the rocks rushed up to meet him. His feathers spread majestically, catching the rising currents and, at the last possible moment, lifted him up and away.

    Icarus flew.

    On the thermals he rose, ever higher, even as his heart soared higher still within his breast, propelled by the sheer exhilaration of a dream realized; of the wonderment of flight. Drunk on the sweet nectar of fulfillment, Icarus burst through the clouds to the secret domain above. His unrivaled ecstasy came not in spite of the perilous drop beneath him, but rather, because of it.

    Does not the joy of flight derive from the ever-present threat of the fall?

    The cost of such undeniable pleasure as this would be high indeed, but that mattered not to the boy. He had discovered a secret few ever learn – all men die, the real tragedy is how few ever truly feel alive. Icarus felt alive now, gloriously, unequivocally alive. If the price of that was death, it was one he would pay gladly.

    Higher still, Icarus flew.

    He rose ever nearer the sun, that silent sovereign of the sky whose light brings life but, also, fiery doom. The golden rays which once so delighted the boy with their gentle kisses became burning daggers of menacing intent. Yet, still, he was not afraid.

    Icarus embraced the sun.

    At the very apex of his ascent, he turned lazily over. Suspended in that moment, watching the wax melt and run down his pale arms and the feathers spring free one by one and continue on a thousand separate journies of independent flight – a marvel, each one – Icarus smiled.

    One final revelation came to him then, in his state of rapturous delight, and it was this: there’s a certain relief in surrendering unto destruction; a savage satisfaction in setting one’s world ablaze and watching the flames from the center of the inferno.

    The brief flight had been the pinnacle of Icarus’ very existence – what more had he to live for? Humility is knowing one’s place and when such dizzying heights have been reached, whence can one go but down?

    Icarus fell.

    He threw his head back and laughed in pure, unadulterated exaltation as he plunged from the heavens to the swirling sea below which would ever after bear his name.

    As he rushed to his death, Icarus had never felt more alive.


 ҈   


August 18, 2020 04:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

79 comments

01:25 Aug 21, 2020

Pure art. So graceful and poignant. Loved every word. Reminded me of this painting: https://www.bl.uk/collection-items/landscape-with-the-fall-of-icarus And this poem: http://english.emory.edu/classes/paintings&poems/auden.html

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
06:12 Aug 21, 2020

Thanks. It was a nice change of pace because I've been doing too much humour lately. That poem and picture are awesome! I got partial inspiration from art of a different sort - Iron Maiden. The most literary band in the world. Glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Holmes
02:53 Aug 19, 2020

The way you've expanded this myth by adding more characterization and metaphor is beautiful. I loved the addition of "A bird that flies too close to the sea shall perish just as surely as one who ventures too near the sun" - I'd never thought of it that way before, and it was a nice juxtaposition to Daedalus' traditional warning of not to fly too near the sun. Actually, this story was full of juxtaposition (freedom/captivity, life/death, flying/falling), which is why I think the revamped ending worked well, with Icarus chasing an adrenaline ...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
16:11 Aug 19, 2020

As a past winner and writer of a great (if visually untidy) story recently i don't think you're allowed to say you suck at anything writing-related. I see what you mean about dare/dared - Grammarly always shouts at me when I write old-fashioned style. I did that intentionally in an effort to sound more, well, old-fashionedy (Grammarly is shouting at me now for that awesome word i just made up, actually). I'll read it again though to see if it needs adjusting. Thank you so much for reading and commenting, really appreciate it 😀

Reply

D. Holmes
02:53 Aug 20, 2020

Ah, I see. Yes, "dare not fail" does give me epic quest, old-fashionedy (who says it's not a word lol) vibes. Apologies, no need to change, just wanted to point it out in case. And of course! Your stories are a pleasure to read :) (Also, that's really kind of you to say, thank you - but honestly, my grammar barometer tends to be: ...does that sound ok?...maybe?...ok moving on, haha.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amy DeMatt
23:38 Aug 18, 2020

I am blown away by this. This is a story that works on more than one level and truly belongs in a publication. The surface story of Icarus and Daedalus is beautifully told and would stand alone, but your deeper themes (no light but for darkness, no joy but for suffering) are very "adult" themes that make this work just as appealing and compelling for a more sophisticated audience. You have a real talent for drawing the reader in, for creating a story that people want to read. Truly, it would be a waste not to share this with a wider audienc...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
16:17 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much. It came from an idea I had for a novel which tells an alternative version of the story - Icarus flies safely away and goes on to live a life of quiet desperation and regret, always wondering what would've happened had he used his wings to their full potential. Lots of opportunity to explore the idea of regret and seizing the moment, etc in there. But, alas, I'm not novel ready yet, so an idea it shall remain. For now, at least. Thanks so much for reading and your support and encouragement. And also for finally writing ano...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
12:56 Aug 18, 2020

Being familiar with Greek mythology, I wasn't really interested in the story, but I love the poetry of your storytelling! Favorite line: "death is not the opposite of life, it is part of life – the two as inseparable as the dividing line between sea and sky on the horizon’s edge" :))

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
13:50 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you. I love your honesty, it’s very refreshing. And I’m glad you like that line. I once heard a quote along the lines of - The opposite of a profound truth is another profound truth. I love the idea of opposites being intertwined, of all things being connected. Like the idea that success would be meaningless if failure wasn’t a possibility, etc. I like working things like that into my stories. Thanks for reading.

Reply

Bianka Nova
14:11 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you and kudos to you! I like the way you think - you transfer that really well in your writing :) Seeing most of the comments here, I think I might be a bit too honest. Sometimes it may come out sounding harsher than it's meant, and that's not too encouraging to an aspiring writer. But I do it with good intentions, because I believe that to be the point of the whole exercise - to learn from each other (us being both the authors and fellow readers). A lot of positive and ecstatic comments are a good ego booster, but they won't improve ...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
14:34 Aug 18, 2020

I agree 100% I think it goes without saying that, since we’re all writers, we recognize the effort (and sometimes agony) that goes into the creative process, so there are no bad stories. And you were hardly rude. Honesty is important – like you say, its how we learn. And even when being critical, it can be done gently, which is what I find so incredible here – no one is harsh or disrespectful in the comments. Not that I’ve seen, anyway. For the internet? That’s unheard of! So no, you weren’t harsh at all. I once accidentally read a Nora ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
08:03 Aug 18, 2020

Oh this was constructed so beautifully. It’s difficult to retell such a well-known myth with any level of fresh insight so the reinterpretation of the end was a great choice. Your tone, which you keep consistent throughout, is a perfectly pitched mix of narrative and introspective. You didn’t spend any more time than you needed to setting up the background info. For those who don’t know the myth, you’ve included enough to tell them and for those who do, you’ve not bored them by rehashing too much of it. My favourite line was the one ...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
13:49 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you so much. Your comments are always lovely to receive. I wouldn’t have done it without the fresh perspective to offer, and it was a wonderful learning experience for me because not having to focus on the general plot allowed me to concentrate on the language, imagery, symbolism, etc. And the human/relationship elements, which I frequently neglect, not by choice, but because they often get cut in the cutting/editing process. Or trimmed down at least. And fear not (knot?), many new grounds await trodding in future. I may even h...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arya Preston
05:42 Aug 18, 2020

I absolutely love this! There's something so poetic and lyrical in your writing pace that definitely grasps a reader's attention. Every single sentence felt like it was crafted precisely and honestly, I can't even quote a favourite sentence because your entire story is so beautifully expressed. Greek mythology has such a vast expanse of fables and your interpretation here is astonishing. The amalgamation of the imagery, the symbolism and the metaphors all added up to an incredible last few paragraphs! Definitely one of my favourite stories o...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
13:47 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you because your stories always stand out for your lovely language use. I actually know only as much as the average person about Greek mythology, but I think there’s a good reason these stories are still around millennia later. Writing the last bit was my favorite part – I built the story around it. It’s always nice to know what the reader enjoys the most and amazing how often they’re the same parts the writer enjoyed writing. Speaking of which, I’m really looking forward to a new one from you.

Reply

Arya Preston
14:03 Aug 18, 2020

No problem! And you're right, there's something so fascinating about Greek mythology that it's still worth having a conversation about. About my story, let's just say it may or may not involve monsters...

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
14:24 Aug 18, 2020

Yay! Monsters are like aliens – you can’t go wrong putting them in a story. No, actually you can. Last week I spend a long time on a werewolf story that just wouldn’t behave and had to be discarded. It was definitely a horror story, but not in the way I wanted. Lesson learned. You’ve got a really unique way of looking at things and crafting stories though, so I think these maybe monsters are in good hands. Now get back to writing already! Whenever I’m stuck on a story I take a break and browse Reedsy for way too long, then complain I do...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
14:59 Aug 25, 2020

Super story.Great job👍keep it up. Would you mind to read my story “The dragon warrior?”

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
12:14 Aug 29, 2020

Thanks. Sorry it took a while, but I got there eventually at least. Thanks for the read and comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phil Manders
12:25 Nov 18, 2021

Speechless 😶 Why have you not won more often?

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:51 Jan 21, 2021

Wow, this is a wonderful story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:30 Dec 07, 2020

A new twist on a classic myth. I like this a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:34 Sep 22, 2020

I can’t even express how much I love this! Icarus’s story is absolutely one of my favorites, and the way that you told it is gorgeous. It’s such a unique challenge to do justice to a story as old and as widely known as this one, but you did it beautifully. The prose in this is really effective; there isn’t a lot of dialogue to work with, but your narration is interesting enough (and poetic enough) that it never came close to dragging. Thank you for what is truly one of my favorite short stories!

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:50 Oct 18, 2020

Beautiful story. It explored the depths of self-destruction without feeling suicidal or depressing, instead lending a joyous tone to the whole book. I got strong themes of, "It's better to be free and dead than alive and in chains." I know this statement isn't quite accurate, but it was still the vibe I got. :P Anyways, great story--I'll be checking out some more of your works soon. :) Keep on writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.