723 comments

Fantasy Mystery

That day, my friend was sucked into the ground. I didn’t know when I would go in. The scientists and police officers came to the site.

They took samples of the ground to check what had caused it. I knew the reason but they didn’t know the seriousness of the issue that was going to happen. I was sad as well as happy.

The ground was barren. No trees and no water. It had been years since it had rained. The pale looking scientist with his glasses slowly rubbed on the floor and said, “This is not normal.” The commissioner looked at the large hole through which my friend disappeared.

“Yeah,” he said with concern.

It was all because of a man who had brown hair and curly black hair. He was an ox of a man. He worked so hard to save the trees.

*****

Meanwhile, the weather commission was called for. There wasn’t any weather change anyways.

They scanned the underground with their underground scanners. But, what they saw was unbelievable. A man, raging with fire, was sitting on a throne made up of twigs. I wondered how the twigs were not burned, because he was covered in fire.

“What is this, commissioner?” the scientist asked.

“I wanted to ask you that,” the commissioner replied, rubbing his head in confusion.

“Let’s go and check out,” another blond police officer whispered to the commissioner.

The miners were called and in minutes a large hole was dug. The police officers put on their headlights and went in. They had never been to a place like that.

Then too it was unlikely that anyone would go underground. The next second I was sucked in. I thought I was destined to see those events. I didn’t know who was going to come next.

*****

The man spent all the time talking with me about the effects of deforestation and asked all humans to stop cutting trees. But, nobody listened to him. Now, they are going to suffer under him.

*****

I was happy to see all my friends standing in a row. However, the fact I was stuck in the mud dimmed any joy I felt initially at the sight of my friends. The police slowly glided through the mud and followed the compass. Finally, they saw him, face to face. Most of the police officers ran away and some trembled with fear.

“Why did you come here?” He shouted.

“Who are you? And why are you causing trouble in our world?”the commissioner shouted. The fire headed man threw a fireball at the commissioner, which he dodged.

“I am the only one who can shout here. So, if you raise your voice, I will make you like a roasted chicken,” he said, standing up from his seat.

“Okay, sir.” Even the commissioner was afraid of him.

The fire headed man, named Flak, was a guy from Dragon planet.

*****

The man was unbreakable. He wanted to save my race. We were close to extinction. He planted trees everywhere. But, every time he planted, they cut it.

Now, he is dead, only for our sake.

*****

Dragon planet was already in pieces and thank god that this guy was here. We trees didn’t want to fight with humans, but, Flak was the one who said that all trees will come underground and be underground.

“How many trees did you plant yesterday?” Flak asked. The commissioner didn’t answer.

“Answer,” Flak hollered.

“Zero,” the commissioner replied, hanging his head down.

“How many did you cut yesterday?”

“Five.”

“Okay, I will do the same thing with you. I will kill five humans daily. Is that okay for you?”

“No,” the commissioner said and took out his gun.

“Sir, your weapons don‘t do anything to me.”

“I’m not going to hurt you, I am gonna shoot the trees,” he said, pointing the gun towards me. I cannot move, I couldn’t talk. So, it was up to Flak.

“No, stop. Don’t do that,” Flak said. I bet that he was not afraid.

“Then listen to me. Pack up all your trees and come to the above world,” the commissioner said.

Then, Flak started laughing. “Then you will use them for your sake.”

*****

The man never wished anything for himself. His only wish was that our race should not get extinct. I really loved him. Though I couldn’t talk, he was my best friend. I gave him shade and he gave me water and food. I was stupefied when I knew he was killed.

*****

“What’s the matter about that? They are born for our use,” the commissioner said which angered Flak very much. What he did was really wonderful.

He gave life to every tree over there and I was able to talk.

“How could you use us?” a tree asked.

“We are already on the verge of extinction,” another tree said.

I didn’t know what to say. So, I remained quiet. Then I realised. I could move. I moved towards the commissioner, who still had the gun in his hands and whispered, “Flak has completely no mercy. Go up and start planting your trees.”

“Will you guys come up?” he whispered to me.

“We work under his orders,” I replied.

But, this time Flak heard it.

“Hey, Greens. Come here,” he said. I moved my roots in the direction he was standing.

“Yes, master,” I said.

“I think from now on, you should lead this pack,” Flak said. I was rejoiced. He never lies.

“But, why? We love you so much,” I said.

“The dragon warrior has called me. He is expecting something big to come,” Flak said.

The dragon warrior, he is another guy from dragon planet. He has a key chain which can change into anything. I thought he was forming a team. After some time, everybody grew quiet.

*****

The man was shot dead right in front of me. They were rogues. But, I was sure that they were sent by someone. And all these things are happening for him. My friend never wanted didn’t revenge.a

*****

The commissioner immediately called the media. He gave a talk to them.

“From today onwards, everyone should plant a tree every day,” the commissioner said in between the camera flashes.

“But, why, sir?” a guy asked.

“We have cut trees and they are on the verge of extinction. We are having no rainy season because we don’t have trees. Global warming is also increasing,” the commissioner said and got into his car. He waved me a goodbye and I waved too, and the press couldn’t believe what they saw. So, I acted in front of them. Then I was sucked underground again.

It was the first death anniversary of my friend and the hardworking man.

So, they chose that day for my coronation. The crown was made of twigs. It was the best honour I could get.

*****

Now, if he was present, he would have been the happiest man in the world and hugged me tightly. Oh, how I loved his company! But, this was my time to save the trees and make up for his sacrifice. Flak was the man’s friend and he offered to help.

*****

I prayed that my head wouldn’t catch fire and it didn’t. Flak gave me a slight smile and that was the first time I have seen him smile. Suddenly, he fainted and some other guys with police uniforms came.

I couldn’t bear it and wanted to fight them.

“Uh uh,” the police officer said, taunting me. He was a handsome guy. But, it didn’t matter.

They caged Flak and lifted him. They approached their car and threw the cage on the front seat. I wanted to see him smile again. We were standing helpless.

They had arrested him for completely no reason.









September 19, 2020 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

723 comments

Marissa Yates
17:19 Dec 08, 2020

Very creative story! Have you considered trying to vary sentence length? It’s a great (and fun!) exercise, and it can make stories flow and read more naturally. I think this story would be a great one to practice that with. Keep writing! :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
04:24 Dec 09, 2020

Thanks. Ok. Keep writing.Be safe.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ℤ ℍ☮️
11:54 Dec 08, 2020

Good story! Nice ending!

Reply

The Cold Ice
11:57 Dec 08, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
08:00 Dec 08, 2020

Amazing...that ending was unpredictable i like the way u say it from the tree's point of view:)

Reply

The Cold Ice
09:18 Dec 08, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Lucas Zhou
10:00 Dec 08, 2020

:)

Reply

The Cold Ice
10:01 Dec 08, 2020

Umm we Can became friends

Reply

Lucas Zhou
10:10 Dec 08, 2020

yup kk

Reply

The Cold Ice
10:24 Dec 08, 2020

Ok hi

Reply

Show 2 replies
Lucas Zhou
10:12 Dec 08, 2020

here, join this chat https://hangouts.google.com/group/tYh2c2tZZ9C1HTxS8

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Llind Kam
13:42 Dec 05, 2020

Very relevant to todays world. The title of the story is very clever 👏

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:23 Dec 06, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
18:13 Dec 04, 2020

My old fashioned taste runs to more characterization and less political preaching. Your style appears to have a lot of fans, so good luck with your writing. Thank you for your kind comments.

Reply

Yuk Yuk
20:56 Dec 08, 2020

Please check out some of my stories.thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
18:57 Dec 04, 2020

Thanks .welcome

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Madison Smith
16:13 Dec 04, 2020

Hi! Great job! I really liked the way you framed deforestation as though it was both the extinction of endangered animals, but also personifying the trees. I think it doing so, it really helped highlight that sense of urgency and empathy for the world. I was a little bit confused with the italicized parts. I think they started to make a little more sense at the end, but maybe if you wanted to expand on this piece, that would be one of the places to do it. But overall, good job!

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:29 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you so much

Reply

Madison Smith
16:32 Dec 04, 2020

Of course!

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:42 Dec 04, 2020

Hi

Reply

Madison Smith
17:23 Dec 04, 2020

Hey!

Reply

The Cold Ice
18:57 Dec 04, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Makia Long
03:41 Dec 04, 2020

Great story! Very interesting storyline :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:58 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
19:51 Dec 03, 2020

This was such a creative and original story! Your first paragraph had my attention and you held it all the way through. Great title as well....keep up the great work!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:12 Dec 04, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lourdes Cruz
19:00 Dec 03, 2020

This is such a good story! Good job!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:13 Dec 04, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:00 Dec 03, 2020

Hi, Sahitthian! Nice story, I like the ending!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:11 Dec 04, 2020

Thanka(like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
04:43 Dec 04, 2020

Hi

Reply

15:45 Dec 04, 2020

Hi

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:00 Dec 04, 2020

Wyd

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
WaterIsDeep :D
05:49 Dec 03, 2020

👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼Great job! Would like to see more stories like this from you 😁

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:54 Dec 03, 2020

Thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
05:54 Dec 03, 2020

Hi

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Beth Connor
16:04 Nov 28, 2020

I enjoyed the creativity of this story, I loved the perspective!

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:28 Nov 29, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
21:09 Nov 27, 2020

Quite the entertaining read. With the use of your imagination you have performed a very good read. As long as we plant the same amount we cut we might be okay. Keep on writing.

Reply

The Cold Ice
02:47 Nov 28, 2020

Thanks. Yes. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cam Croz
05:43 Oct 29, 2020

I like this story! It was a very interesting take on the prompt and I enjoyed it! Great Job! Keep writing!

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:03 Oct 29, 2020

I am glad you liked and enjoyed my story.Thanks.Thank you for reading. Keep writing.Take care.

Reply

Cam Croz
15:12 Oct 29, 2020

You too!

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:41 Oct 29, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
09:49 Oct 28, 2020

This is a good, imaginative story with some awesome flashbacks. I kind of expected your MC to be a tree, but it was nice seeing it confirmed at the end ;) makes me feel smart as a reader. One negative for me was that I found it a bit hard in some places to really delve into your story, since there was a lot of telling rather than showing, but that is just my personal story preference. Keep up the good writing :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
10:14 Oct 28, 2020

Thanks. I will work on it. Thanks.Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Senthil E
05:53 Sep 19, 2020

Nice story

Reply

The Cold Ice
05:57 Sep 19, 2020

Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
13:54 Sep 16, 2021

Very interesting idea, I loved the ending.

Reply

The Cold Ice
08:45 Sep 17, 2021

Thanks .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
05:57 Jun 28, 2021

BTW, Your bio is being repeated quite a lot of times....you might wanna check that....

Reply

The Cold Ice
06:03 Jun 28, 2021

Ok I cannot remove that so much times that’s why?

Reply

Dhwani Jain
07:07 Jun 28, 2021

What do you mean?

Reply

The Cold Ice
15:57 Jun 28, 2021

I put it so much times accidentally so I can’t remove it easily

Reply

Dhwani Jain
16:04 Jun 28, 2021

Okay....just select a big chunk of it using the Shift key+ Left Arrow key. Then press 'Delete'. All will be sorted :)

Reply

The Cold Ice
09:27 Jun 29, 2021

I don’t desk top only a tab my tab can’t do that.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
13:58 Jun 27, 2021

Nice story, The Cold Ice. (Any specific reason for such an interesting name?) Please do check out my latest story and comment your review on it =D

Reply

The Cold Ice
16:27 Jun 27, 2021

Ok thanks. I will read your story. (Please like my story)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
02:40 Apr 21, 2021

Absolutely amazing story! Well done!

Reply

The Cold Ice
03:04 Apr 21, 2021

Thank you so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.