139 comments

Funny Contemporary

It’s my birthday today – The Big 3-0! – and all I want to do is stay in my cozy room and have someone bring me milkshakes all day… but the sun is out, my alarm’s going off, and it’s time to get to the office, I suppose. 


At least there's something to look forward to: a few friends are dropping by to have a little celebration in my honor after work tonight. Note to self: need to pick up some booze and apps!


As I don my favorite white outfit in the early morning chill, I wonder how it is that Covid somehow gave everyone but me a pass on having to physically appear at work. Unfair! But it’s not going to spoil my day, not today of all days. You only turn 30 once – though, as I check out myself in the mirror, I feel like maybe I’ll be lying about it for the next 5 or more years… lookin’ good, there, you gorgeous creature!


As I dump a pot of water into the coffeemaker, only now does it occur to me that I had already done that last night, to save myself some time. Fantastic. Note to self: need to also pick up some more Swiffer mop pad replacements later on.


No biggie; I’ll just be treating myself to a coffee and breakfast on-the-go today, it would appear. Hey, it’s my birthday, so I should have thought of that, anyway! I grab a white jacket from the front closet and head out, sharply dressed and ready to welcome the adventures of the day! 


White’s my favorite color, so it comes as a sad surprise when the drive-through coffee and McMuffin end up in an impressionist design all down the front of my outfit and across the interior of the car after I manage to rear-end someone at a light. It was my fault, absolutely no denying it, but the guy doesn’t have to be this big a jerk about it. I’m already covered in breakfast, for goodness’ sake, no need to rub it in.


Finally I’m on my way again. My perception of the day has dimmed slightly, until I realize I still have the party to look forward to, and things balance out again. True, they balance out with probably several hundred fewer dollars in my checking account after I meet my deductible, but hey, that’s what insurance is for, right? 


I arrive at the office only slightly late by 30 minutes, and I’m horrified to my core when Mr. Jansen’s secretary tells me that the meeting had to start without me. Oh no! NO! How could I have forgotten that the pitch was first thing this morning?! Crap crap crap!! 


Do I go in, causing an interruption during potentially delicate negotiations? Do I stay out and hope for the best, that they won’t need my particular design expertise to answer any questions?


The fact that I’m covered in breakfast sways me towards the latter, and I slink into my office. My stomach is churning, but, look, accidents happen… and if I had spent any more time exchanging information with that guy in traffic, I wouldn’t even be in yet, so what’s the difference? At least nobody was hurt, and that’s the important part, right?!


I spend a few minutes logging in and straightening various papers on my desk. I do not feel good about this situation, despite my attempt to brush it off, so I pop a couple of tranquilizer pills I keep around for emergency purposes, and I’m feeling better in no time.


My ears finally catch the sound of the conference room door opening and the client being led out. I peer down the hall and Mr. Jansen pops around the corner, beckoning with a two-fingered come-hither. Oh boy.


My car still smells like coffee and McMuffin, I notice, getting into it 30 minutes later. I just need to sit here and breathe for a moment to decompress, but the smell of floor breakfast is not at all relaxing. Note to self: switch to lavender-based drinks.


You know what? I wasn’t in love with that job, anyway. Too regimented, if they can’t even handle a few tardies, and who wants to go into the office anymore? I will find something better, I just know it. I place my box of personal belongings on the passenger floorboard and head out.


Ah, home sweet home, I think, pulling into the driveway. You know what? I should have taken today off, in the first place! I mean, you only turn 30 once – what was I thinking? I could have had the whole day to myself. And look! I have the whole day to myself anyway, so that worked out. Awesome!


Grabbing my box of personal effects, I end up spending the next few minutes gathering them by hand after the soggy bottom falls out. Some of them have soaked up some of the coffee now, anyway, and I suddenly realize I that still need to get to the store, so I just leave them where they are and head out.


The trip to the store and back goes surprisingly well. I’ve found a nice assortment of wine and some microwavable appetizers, plus a small decorated cake. It’s carrying them into the kitchen, and running right into the patch of water from this morning’s coffee pot fiasco, that is the trouble. I forgot to get Swiffer pads, too, I think, lying in a bit of a daze from smacking my head on the linoleum. 


Cake is everywhere, but fortunately the bottles of wine and appetizers are intact. I can salvage this. I have roughly 4 hours until everyone gets here, plenty of time to clean. Thank God I had tranquilizers earlier, because this is a time that is trying my soul, to borrow a phrase.


Leaving the cake on the floor to clean up later, I put the appetizers in the fridge and decide what I need is a shower, a change of clothes, and maybe one of those bottles of wine. I just need to relax a little bit, and this will all be better.


Halfway through the wine a bit later, I realize just how wonderfully cozy the sofa is. Remember pillow forts, when we were kids? That was always so much fun, I think, draining the last of the bottle of wine and setting to work.


In no time at all, I have a pretty sweet pillow fort. It’s so dark and nicely comforting in here, no wonder we loved these as kids. I crawl out and grab another bottle of wine, belly-crawling back from the kitchen just like they do in old war movies: this day has certainly felt like a war, so it seems appropriate...


As I squeeze back into my fort, I realize that I just managed to smear cake detritus all over my latest outfit (and the carpet), and it makes me laugh. In fact, I am laughing so hard that I can barely drink any wine. I am sort of laugh-crying at this point and feeling pretty maudlin… but mostly laughing, because what the heck. This has possibly been the worst day ever.


I start to wonder if I’m losing my mind, as I cannot seem to stop laughing... but I'm surprisingly relaxed about it.


Maybe I will just stay here in my fort. It’s my birthday, and if I wanna laugh/cry/drink under a bunch of sofa pillows while wearing a cake-encrusted jog suit, who’s to stop me?! 



Some time later, I come to and realize that it’s almost time for the party, which my brain nearly fogged away. I exit my hut to stagger over and throw some appetizers in the microwave; while I somehow manage to avoid the water and cake all over the floor, all of the water on the counter from this morning has apparently shorted out the microwave.


Fortunately, the oven still works, but there are no directions on the box for the oven. This day is exhausting. I remember reading once that you can bake just about any casserole at 350 for an hour, so that sounds right, yeah? I throw the food in and return to my nest. This has worn me out, and I just want some more wine and the dark comfort of my little pillow cave.



I come to again, hearing voices outside my home-within-a-home. Someone lifts the roof tile, and I snatch it down again. How dare they invade the sanctity of my space! I hiss, which makes me giggle, because that was totally on accident and felt completely natural. lol! I hiss a bit more, and it makes me laugh even harder.


I realize, in the dim recesses of my consciousness, that I can smell smoke, and the voices outside seem a little sharp and excitedly elevated. I lay back down, clutching my nearly-empty bottle. Oops, swig: make that my completely empty bottle. 


Maybe if I just lay here, they’ll go away. These are my friends: I’m sure they’ll understand.


Someone lifts a roof tile again, wtf. I blearily squint at them in anger, then in wider-eyed surprise, as I realize it’s not anyone I know at all. It’s some guy in a … hrmmm, suit. I can’t recall the name of it. Whatever, guy, if you want that roof tile it’s all yours, I’ll just nestle back a little further out of the light. I scooch back, too tired to hiss this time.


It gets brighter: dangit, they are taking out the fort! “Visigoths!” I try to scream at them but end up slurring nonsense. 


Apropos of nothing, the lyrics to "Don't Bring Me Down" suddenly occur to me, and I decide to slur those instead (though, in my head they sound perfect: "I'll tell you once more, before I get off the floor: Don't Bring Me Down!") hahahaha wheeeee!


...


The whole rest of the day is a blur, really, but it all worked out: I’m in a nice, cozy, all-white room – it’s even a bit larger than my fort, so I have plenty of space to roll around! – and they even gave me a lovely white form-fitting outfit to wear.


Best of all, they bring me milkshakes several times a day. It’s perfect: why didn’t I think of this before?! Happy birthday to me! Note to self: do this again next year for The Big 3-0!

March 04, 2023 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

19:32 Mar 19, 2023

This was such fun to read! I really like this girl and her 'tude' - even if she is crazy - I think she just needs a vacation. Note to self: switch to lavender-based drinks. Funny line. (don't do it - bleah). And why did she have to prepare her own birthday party - damn. This girl needs some love and more milkshakes! xo

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:40 Mar 19, 2023

I feel you, on the lavender drinks. Fool me once, Dutch Bros...! :) Thanks, Patricia!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mazie Maris
16:02 Mar 18, 2023

I absolutely loved this story, Wendy!! I felt the optimism of the narrator and couldn't help but giggle with her as she met her demise. Thank you for the good laugh!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:27 Mar 18, 2023

Thanks so much, Mazie - appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such a lovely review! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Culy
18:23 Mar 16, 2023

Really enjoyed this story. Very amusing, one of my favourites I've read from this contest!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:53 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks so much, Miriam! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brad Heald
15:17 Mar 16, 2023

You got me laughing Wendy. Great humor. What a tough turning thirty day but she went through it laughing, laughing and crying and staying positive as she thought about her next step which would ultimately fail. Your stories are fun to read. Light, bright and crisp as color white.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:54 Mar 16, 2023

Really appreciate that, Brad! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
L M
08:37 Mar 16, 2023

I like this. Is the bame from Tenacious D with Jack Black and Kyle Gass? Wish someone would bring me milkshakes…

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:03 Mar 16, 2023

Yes it is! :) I wasn't sure if anyone was going to get that. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
03:52 Mar 16, 2023

Wendy, Tranquilizer pills and wine. Nice combo for a long sleep. This is definitely a day where it didn't pay to get out of bed. What a domino effect. Poor thing. A fun read. Well done!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:03 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks, Chris - appreciate it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KD Weinert
03:47 Mar 15, 2023

This is so fun, Wendy! I love how your character maintains her sunny disposition no matter how bad things get (albeit with some chemical help in the last third). I think your decision to skip most of what would have been "action sequences" (like her boss sacking her and the argument with the driver) was perfect and really adds to the humor of the piece. Well done!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:49 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks very much, KD! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
23:00 Mar 14, 2023

Doh! Tough day. several of those have happened to me, mostly due to the wine. Happy happy Birthday - whenever it is!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:03 Mar 14, 2023

haha Thanks, Marty!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Brothers
12:21 Mar 14, 2023

Oof. Funny and terrifying all at once. Great pacing!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:14 Mar 14, 2023

Thanks, Rebecca!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
13:29 Mar 13, 2023

Wendy, Can something be outrageously hilarious and painfully sad at the same time? You have proved it can be. It’s simply marvellous, in its tone, mood and vocabulary. Excellent work! Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:45 Mar 13, 2023

Thank you, Suma! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Lewis
00:24 Mar 13, 2023

I feel sad that she never got to eat her apps, but I'm glad she at least got to drink some wine. We'd all need a padded room after that day! Well done :)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:24 Mar 13, 2023

hah! Too cute, Mary! :) Thanks very much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:11 Mar 13, 2023

Wendy, this was delightful! I chuckled so many times while I was reading. It made me think about my own 30th birthday. I wasn't too happy, then a friend of mine pointed out, "Three decades have tried to take you down, and failed!" It made me happier. I empathize SO MUCH with your MC! Especially the fiasco that accompanies her trip to work. I could practically smell the inside of the car with her. You did a great job highlighting all the small struggles that can combine to make the day so difficult. But I laughed at the little "twist" on th...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:24 Mar 13, 2023

Thanks very much, Hannah! Glad you got a kick out of it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
16:08 Mar 12, 2023

Wendy…as I sit here reading story after story, I find myself thinking about you. How on earth do you do it? I believe you have a day job (?) plus you manage to write and submit weekly, but how on earth do you find the time to read and leave comments for so many other writers each week? You use osmosis or something to read all those stories 😂 or did you take a speed-reading course? I need some of that skill if you care to share 😜 But your generosity with your time and your support of others here is so beautiful. I just want to thank you fo...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:34 Mar 12, 2023

Wow, thank you so much, Viga! I really appreciate that very kind comment! I do have a day job, but you know how it is with your hobbies - you can always find time. :) I am so flattered that you see it that way, and I'm humbled that you took the time to say so. Thank you. :) (Of course, you'd say that on the week I'm having trouble with the prompts though! lol :) Many thanks, Viga. :)

Reply

Viga Boland
21:12 Mar 12, 2023

Wendy, you deserve all the praise others and I give you. As for those prompts, sometimes I think we try too hard to come up with something. I find it sometimes takes me a few days to get those gears working up top, and if I find it isn’t coming naturally, it’s better to just give it a break. That’s what I’ll be doing this coming week. Not one of those prompts interests me! That’s just as well in a way as my book review work…my only paying work, pittance that it is…is suffering as I’m spending so much time on here, reading stories by those ...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:17 Mar 12, 2023

Thanks, Viga! Ok we are probably taking off the week together, then, and I am feelin' ok about that! :D Thanks for all YOU do here, as being a judge is a ton of work, I can only imagine, especially when you have other irons in the fire! Hang in there, girlfriend, and I really appreciate your kind words. :)

Reply

Viga Boland
21:24 Mar 12, 2023

In truth, Wendy, any writer on here can judge. You do as much, maybe even more than they do. I don’t really know. We are required to read/judge X amount of stories weekly and that’s based on the total number of submissions divided by the number of available judges. That number can be as few as 2-3 stories. I often read 3-4 times as many stories as I am asked to judge. You probably read and work way harder in the number of stories you read and on which you comment. Why don’t you become a judge?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:29 Mar 12, 2023

Obligation ruins it for me. :) I think if I HAD to read, it would be a far different experience. Plus, I don't feel equal to the task... I'm not even sure what the judges look for in a story, but I know I'm not good at critical reading, because I just really enjoy reading short stories of ALL varieties. I can spot technical issues (language, grammar, punctuation) but that's about it. Plot? Theme? Message? I'm clueless! So it would be a weekly challenge for the other judges to keep me from putting EVERYTHING on Recommended! lol :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
21:31 Mar 12, 2023

(But your kind words and encouragement are so lovely - thank you for that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Susan Catucci
15:41 Mar 12, 2023

You know that game people play sometimes where you list a bunch of famous people - alive or not - that, if you could have a dinner party with anyone, and that means throughout time, no limitation, who would have invite? You just made the top of that list, the Catucci No-holds-barred Dinner Party. I'm afraid, though, if I tasked you with bringing the wine, you may not make it. So, how 'bout come as you are? Well, better think that one through a bit more . . . This is just my way of saying how much I dearly love this story. The silver l...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:31 Mar 12, 2023

LOL Susan! :) This definitely is one of my all-time favorite reviews, haha. :) Thank you so much, I am totally flattered! That sounds like a helluva party, when should I be there? *grin*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
22:01 Mar 11, 2023

😂 Ok so this was just hilarious Wendy. The image of a cake-smeared tranquilized drunk laughing hysterically under a pillow fort while her house is burning down screaming "Visigoths" was just too good. Loved your inner dialogue and the progressive hilarity of the bad day. Great ending too with the scene cut a mental asylum, i thought it was a fitting end. Anytime I see the word mcmuffin I just think of the movie superbad. Keep up the funny stories and making us all laugh😁

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:08 Mar 11, 2023

lol Good one, too, VS! :D Thanks for the encouraging review, you made me laugh again with your take! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
12:04 Mar 11, 2023

Brilliant Wendy. I said 'Oh Nooo' loudly many times while reading this. I am, as usual jealous of your imagination. Great story. In agreement with Michelle, it is so relatable. I deliberately had to block my 30th out of my head in case I found too many similarities. Great story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Stevie Burges
12:04 Mar 11, 2023

Brilliant Wendy. I said 'Oh Nooo' loudly many times while reading this. I am, as usual jealous of your imagination. Great story. In agreement with Michelle, it is so relatable. I deliberately had to block my 30th out of my head in case I found too many similarities. Great story.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
13:53 Mar 11, 2023

Too funny! :) Thanks, Stevie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
21:38 Mar 10, 2023

In a sometimes bewildering world, it is so nice to take two writing weeks off of Reedsy as I have done due to travel and illness and to return and Wendy is still blasting them out in hilarious volleys. It's a 30th but this could be every subsequent birthday: slobbing about and happy to fall asleep smeared in cake and steeped in wine before the party even starts. This was the perfect ease in to my Friday night! Now where's that bottle of wine and let's make me a fort on the couch ,-)

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:53 Mar 10, 2023

Hey, welcome back, Rebecca - we should have a party! *grin* :) Thanks for the delightful review!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:38 Mar 10, 2023

Oh, what a day!! And what an ending!! That’s enough to make anyone crack. The part where she’s hiding in the pillow fort hissing at people cracked me up. Fun read and perfectly fitting with the prompt. ☺️

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:20 Mar 10, 2023

Thanks, Aeris! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
09:01 Mar 10, 2023

Fascinated by the idea of the fort, Wendy. Maybe I could make one for work as I have no where to escape to. I’m guessing this is a kind of tent kids make indoor? It sounds inviting. Probably asking for trouble wearing white, especially on her birthday. Some funny images there. It all started to go seriously wrong for the MC with the incident with the car. Then it felt like the universe was against her. I know she’s 30, and it’s her birthday, but she seems excessive. Beneath the many funny parts, something painful was going on for the MC....

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:42 Mar 10, 2023

I think you are the first to pick that out, Helen! I was taking a gentle poke at a modern -- I won't say tied to a specific generation -- need for everything to seem ok. If not, pills and booze, and then it's ok! (MC is almost certainly also on antidepressants, which are given out like candy where I am, now.) And be sure to only put the "everything's ok" stuff on social media! That homily about always seeing the bright side of things, taken to its furthest extent. I was starting to think maybe I made it too vague, but I am new to actually pu...

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:52 Mar 10, 2023

I thought so. definitely want one lol

Reply

Helen A Smith
14:54 Mar 10, 2023

Sorry. Replying without glasses. Never a good idea 😂

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:00 Mar 10, 2023

Without glasses, I'm not even sure I'm on my PC or if I'm pecking at the microwave! *grin*

Reply

Helen A Smith
15:06 Mar 10, 2023

Lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.