139 comments

Funny Contemporary

It’s my birthday today – The Big 3-0! – and all I want to do is stay in my cozy room and have someone bring me milkshakes all day… but the sun is out, my alarm’s going off, and it’s time to get to the office, I suppose. 


At least there's something to look forward to: a few friends are dropping by to have a little celebration in my honor after work tonight. Note to self: need to pick up some booze and apps!


As I don my favorite white outfit in the early morning chill, I wonder how it is that Covid somehow gave everyone but me a pass on having to physically appear at work. Unfair! But it’s not going to spoil my day, not today of all days. You only turn 30 once – though, as I check out myself in the mirror, I feel like maybe I’ll be lying about it for the next 5 or more years… lookin’ good, there, you gorgeous creature!


As I dump a pot of water into the coffeemaker, only now does it occur to me that I had already done that last night, to save myself some time. Fantastic. Note to self: need to also pick up some more Swiffer mop pad replacements later on.


No biggie; I’ll just be treating myself to a coffee and breakfast on-the-go today, it would appear. Hey, it’s my birthday, so I should have thought of that, anyway! I grab a white jacket from the front closet and head out, sharply dressed and ready to welcome the adventures of the day! 


White’s my favorite color, so it comes as a sad surprise when the drive-through coffee and McMuffin end up in an impressionist design all down the front of my outfit and across the interior of the car after I manage to rear-end someone at a light. It was my fault, absolutely no denying it, but the guy doesn’t have to be this big a jerk about it. I’m already covered in breakfast, for goodness’ sake, no need to rub it in.


Finally I’m on my way again. My perception of the day has dimmed slightly, until I realize I still have the party to look forward to, and things balance out again. True, they balance out with probably several hundred fewer dollars in my checking account after I meet my deductible, but hey, that’s what insurance is for, right? 


I arrive at the office only slightly late by 30 minutes, and I’m horrified to my core when Mr. Jansen’s secretary tells me that the meeting had to start without me. Oh no! NO! How could I have forgotten that the pitch was first thing this morning?! Crap crap crap!! 


Do I go in, causing an interruption during potentially delicate negotiations? Do I stay out and hope for the best, that they won’t need my particular design expertise to answer any questions?


The fact that I’m covered in breakfast sways me towards the latter, and I slink into my office. My stomach is churning, but, look, accidents happen… and if I had spent any more time exchanging information with that guy in traffic, I wouldn’t even be in yet, so what’s the difference? At least nobody was hurt, and that’s the important part, right?!


I spend a few minutes logging in and straightening various papers on my desk. I do not feel good about this situation, despite my attempt to brush it off, so I pop a couple of tranquilizer pills I keep around for emergency purposes, and I’m feeling better in no time.


My ears finally catch the sound of the conference room door opening and the client being led out. I peer down the hall and Mr. Jansen pops around the corner, beckoning with a two-fingered come-hither. Oh boy.


My car still smells like coffee and McMuffin, I notice, getting into it 30 minutes later. I just need to sit here and breathe for a moment to decompress, but the smell of floor breakfast is not at all relaxing. Note to self: switch to lavender-based drinks.


You know what? I wasn’t in love with that job, anyway. Too regimented, if they can’t even handle a few tardies, and who wants to go into the office anymore? I will find something better, I just know it. I place my box of personal belongings on the passenger floorboard and head out.


Ah, home sweet home, I think, pulling into the driveway. You know what? I should have taken today off, in the first place! I mean, you only turn 30 once – what was I thinking? I could have had the whole day to myself. And look! I have the whole day to myself anyway, so that worked out. Awesome!


Grabbing my box of personal effects, I end up spending the next few minutes gathering them by hand after the soggy bottom falls out. Some of them have soaked up some of the coffee now, anyway, and I suddenly realize I that still need to get to the store, so I just leave them where they are and head out.


The trip to the store and back goes surprisingly well. I’ve found a nice assortment of wine and some microwavable appetizers, plus a small decorated cake. It’s carrying them into the kitchen, and running right into the patch of water from this morning’s coffee pot fiasco, that is the trouble. I forgot to get Swiffer pads, too, I think, lying in a bit of a daze from smacking my head on the linoleum. 


Cake is everywhere, but fortunately the bottles of wine and appetizers are intact. I can salvage this. I have roughly 4 hours until everyone gets here, plenty of time to clean. Thank God I had tranquilizers earlier, because this is a time that is trying my soul, to borrow a phrase.


Leaving the cake on the floor to clean up later, I put the appetizers in the fridge and decide what I need is a shower, a change of clothes, and maybe one of those bottles of wine. I just need to relax a little bit, and this will all be better.


Halfway through the wine a bit later, I realize just how wonderfully cozy the sofa is. Remember pillow forts, when we were kids? That was always so much fun, I think, draining the last of the bottle of wine and setting to work.


In no time at all, I have a pretty sweet pillow fort. It’s so dark and nicely comforting in here, no wonder we loved these as kids. I crawl out and grab another bottle of wine, belly-crawling back from the kitchen just like they do in old war movies: this day has certainly felt like a war, so it seems appropriate...


As I squeeze back into my fort, I realize that I just managed to smear cake detritus all over my latest outfit (and the carpet), and it makes me laugh. In fact, I am laughing so hard that I can barely drink any wine. I am sort of laugh-crying at this point and feeling pretty maudlin… but mostly laughing, because what the heck. This has possibly been the worst day ever.


I start to wonder if I’m losing my mind, as I cannot seem to stop laughing... but I'm surprisingly relaxed about it.


Maybe I will just stay here in my fort. It’s my birthday, and if I wanna laugh/cry/drink under a bunch of sofa pillows while wearing a cake-encrusted jog suit, who’s to stop me?! 



Some time later, I come to and realize that it’s almost time for the party, which my brain nearly fogged away. I exit my hut to stagger over and throw some appetizers in the microwave; while I somehow manage to avoid the water and cake all over the floor, all of the water on the counter from this morning has apparently shorted out the microwave.


Fortunately, the oven still works, but there are no directions on the box for the oven. This day is exhausting. I remember reading once that you can bake just about any casserole at 350 for an hour, so that sounds right, yeah? I throw the food in and return to my nest. This has worn me out, and I just want some more wine and the dark comfort of my little pillow cave.



I come to again, hearing voices outside my home-within-a-home. Someone lifts the roof tile, and I snatch it down again. How dare they invade the sanctity of my space! I hiss, which makes me giggle, because that was totally on accident and felt completely natural. lol! I hiss a bit more, and it makes me laugh even harder.


I realize, in the dim recesses of my consciousness, that I can smell smoke, and the voices outside seem a little sharp and excitedly elevated. I lay back down, clutching my nearly-empty bottle. Oops, swig: make that my completely empty bottle. 


Maybe if I just lay here, they’ll go away. These are my friends: I’m sure they’ll understand.


Someone lifts a roof tile again, wtf. I blearily squint at them in anger, then in wider-eyed surprise, as I realize it’s not anyone I know at all. It’s some guy in a … hrmmm, suit. I can’t recall the name of it. Whatever, guy, if you want that roof tile it’s all yours, I’ll just nestle back a little further out of the light. I scooch back, too tired to hiss this time.


It gets brighter: dangit, they are taking out the fort! “Visigoths!” I try to scream at them but end up slurring nonsense. 


Apropos of nothing, the lyrics to "Don't Bring Me Down" suddenly occur to me, and I decide to slur those instead (though, in my head they sound perfect: "I'll tell you once more, before I get off the floor: Don't Bring Me Down!") hahahaha wheeeee!


...


The whole rest of the day is a blur, really, but it all worked out: I’m in a nice, cozy, all-white room – it’s even a bit larger than my fort, so I have plenty of space to roll around! – and they even gave me a lovely white form-fitting outfit to wear.


Best of all, they bring me milkshakes several times a day. It’s perfect: why didn’t I think of this before?! Happy birthday to me! Note to self: do this again next year for The Big 3-0!

March 04, 2023 19:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

139 comments

Douglas W. Carr
17:02 Mar 09, 2023

I never wear white for similar reasons and hope I'm never forced. Nice story.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:13 Mar 09, 2023

Thanks, Douglas! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jack Kimball
02:23 Mar 09, 2023

Hi Wendy. Yes, getting fired and two bottles of wine will do it - followed by a padded cell. Reading this made me feel better about my OWN worst days. As always, Wendy, great flow and structure to the writing.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:28 Mar 09, 2023

Thanks, Jack! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:50 Mar 08, 2023

Ha! When life gives you lemons, make wine and tranquilizers :) The attitude of this narrator is truly tenacious, and almost intimidating in her resolve to salvage things. But hell, *what* a day. "Fantastic. Note to self: need to also pick up some more Swiffer mop pad replacements later on." lol "lying in a bit of a daze" Great way to bring that back around. Too many other fun lines :) Constantly bringing the old messes back to make the new messes even worse is great. Makes for a very believable series of misfortunes. We feel for her...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:53 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks for the heart-warming review! I always appreciate your thoughts. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:09 Mar 08, 2023

That, indeed, was a horrible day for that poor person. I loved the pillow forts and Don't Bring Me Down references. That song is my mantra on many a day. The army crawl out of the kitchen, wine bottle in hand, was a fantastic visual and cracked me up. I think I'd find a white padded room pretty soothing after a day like that. Great job. Thanks for the laughs!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:34 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks very much, Kt! You get me, lol. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
02:03 Mar 08, 2023

Hey Wendy, This was a crazy roller coaster of emotions! I remember thinking right at the beginning, I wonder if this character knows that several restaurants and shops will give you something free on your birthday. I was also thinking about how this patient might interact with their provider. I could just imagine the therapist sitting in their chair, taking notes as this person reveals them with the tail of their birthday how challenging that might be. Especially, because the 30th birthday can make a person feel a lot. Nice work on this one!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:27 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks very much, Amanda! Maybe it's good she didn't know about restaurant freebies - I think she was always a danger to herself! *grin*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexey Williams
22:13 Mar 06, 2023

For me there was something transcendental about this story. You feel like you're right beside her as she's going through everything, and it was all handled very adeptly and convincingly. It was really superb, Wendy. And I had a good chuckle at the "Visigoths!" because when I was a kid I had a teacher who would call us "Heathens!"

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:21 Mar 06, 2023

haha I bet that set off laughter more often than he or she wanted! :) Thanks, Alexey!

Reply

Alexey Williams
01:20 Mar 07, 2023

ha ha you're welcome, Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dan Coglianese
21:18 Mar 06, 2023

Haha, I love this! What a fun read! I knew as she mentioned she wore white that it would be a mess soon. Always a pleasure reading your new stories, Wendy. Nicely done!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:23 Mar 06, 2023

Thanks very much, Dan! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
17:54 Mar 06, 2023

OMG! Love me some escalating chaos! I was antsing to see where you’d go from the point our girl opted to wear white, and you went there! You have a great ability to go to the apocalyptic edge of dark disaster and still make it whimsically charming! I’m still trying to figure out who to cast in the Netflix series, and how much effects budget the studio will have when she goes to her cousin’s wedding. As I once had to put out my single dude over after trying to broil a corned beef fat side up, I cannot emphasize how important oven instruction...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:46 Mar 06, 2023

"I would just binge Poker Face and open up the Family Size Ruffles and let Darkness take me…" right?!!! :D (Or anything, so long as it didn't require cooking...:P) Thanks very much, Martin, as always - definitely made me smile to read this!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jim Firth
10:44 Mar 05, 2023

Haha! Well, that escalated :) You can track her sanity using the outfit:food ratio... When she was hiding from the fireman in her cosy pillow fort, whilst her 'apps' smouldered in the oven, I was cracking up. Reminds me of a friend who once drunkenly left a pie in the oven and we found it the next day as a dense and crusty piece of dark matter.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:37 Mar 05, 2023

LOL I cannot confirm nor deny that I know that temp/time does not work on boxed apps! :D Thanks, Jim! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
00:45 Mar 05, 2023

Ok, Wendy, the FIRST thing I want to do is thank you for the earwig. I can't get that 'Don't Bring Me Down' song out'ta my head! I really never much liked it and now it's stuck there. You could've picked something from Bob Seger... Anyway, I enjoyed this. Her day really went downhill fast and you portrayed it wonderfully. - You know what? I wasn’t in love with that job, anyway. Reading that made me laugh. I'd already figured she did, but showing it that way gave me a chuckle. Well done and thank you again for the fun ride, Wendy!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:56 Mar 05, 2023

hahah Sorry, if it's any consolation, it's now been stuck in my head the whole day. I'm thinking of having some wine, floor cake, and a pillow fort! :) Thanks so much, KV, always bringing a smile to my face!

Reply

Kevin V
03:50 Mar 05, 2023

I'm curious, Wendy. Do you submit for the $250? Is there any way of telling who does and who doesn't? I know mine shows me that I did, but I don't believe I can see others. And when looking at the contest page, it might say l50 contest entries / 85 stories. Is that 150 people paying $5 and 85 who only submitted to the prompt? Do you know?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:53 Mar 05, 2023

You can't tell who else did until contest time when they show up on the roll-out list (here's this week's, scroll down: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/187/). I did on this one (wasn't going to, but figured I'd give it a shot again), but of course the contest doesn't close until Friday at 9 Pacific, so that's when the judges start approving things to show up in that week's roll-out list. You are right about the ratios - the first number are the ones who paid, and the second is the ones who didn't, but still did a s...

Reply

Kevin V
04:17 Mar 05, 2023

Ok, I think I'm getting the gist of it. It says there are over 300 contest entries for the cat prompt, but if I look at the number of entries per prompt, its nowhere near that. I assume it is because the majority has not been approved yet. Mine used to not be approved until much later in the week, but this and last prompts were both approved on the Saturday after the contest ended. Good luck on this one Wendy. I've looked at past winners expecting to see you there, but haven't unless I've missed it. Maybe this will be the one.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:24 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, KV! I don't think this will be the one, but I enjoy submitting anyway. :) You are correct, of the 300, not a lot have been approved yet. They are still approving come Thursday, I believe, as it's a lot for the judges to work through. (https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/judges/ - not all are active, I don't believe) I *think* they approve them in the order people submitted them. So, if you are getting stories in early, they get among the first-approved. But I'm not 100% on that, just my observation on my own, when I've d...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
04:29 Mar 05, 2023

Oh! I almost forgot: if you click someone's name it goes to their profile, and down at the bottom (or right, if you are on PC) you can see if/what they've won. Still waiting for that eventual win, but the competition is brutal, and I always ALWAYS agree that whatever won and shortlisted was better than mine. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
23:59 Mar 04, 2023

I must say a great story following the prompt to the letter. I enjoy how the issues escalate so does the positivity.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:00 Mar 05, 2023

Thanks, Roger! :D It's definitely the "happy" kind of crazy. *grin*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Richard E. Gower
22:37 Mar 04, 2023

Wendy, I started to laugh with the coffeepot and was on the floor only halfway through the story. 🤣...and it just got better from there. Your timing is absolutely perfect. 🤣 If this one isn't a winner, there is no justice in the world. 👍👍👍 Cheers! RG

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:39 Mar 04, 2023

LOL Thanks very much, Richard, as always! :D I appreciate your encouragement!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
22:31 Mar 04, 2023

You're writing always gets a laugh from me. I imagined white was a recipe for a disaster. I'm the same love wearing white only to decorate it with food at some point through the day 😂

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:39 Mar 04, 2023

hehehe :) Thanks, Lisa, appreciate the lovely comment! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
21:52 Mar 04, 2023

Wendy, this is smartly done. I enjoyed the antics of your MC. The love of the colour white and how it came full circle and her celebration of 3-0 for next year! An accident, her breakfast on her outfit, late to work (not her first), taking tranquillizers, being fired, getting her personal effects, getting her grocery items, slipping on the water she left from earlier in the day, covered in the cake a bit, showering to make herself feel better - are all great! But the fort, microwavable foods in the oven, the wine drinking and the song are t...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
21:56 Mar 04, 2023

lol Thank you so much, Lily! Now, thanks to myself, I can't get that song out of my head, either! :P

Reply

Lily Finch
22:00 Mar 04, 2023

Me neither. Throw back big time! LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
21:46 Aug 01, 2023

Hope you are well.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.