Nightling (Preview)

Written in response to: Write about a character driving in the rain.... view prompt

87 comments

Adventure Sad

I trudged down the dull rainy cobblestone path. Rain sloshed into my shoes, soaking the toes of my socks. I continued to walk aimlessly down the path, tears streaming from my eyes. 

“WHY!?” I screamed into the sky, “Why do these things happen to me?!” I asked no one.


I came to a rainy wooden bench at the side of the path. I wiped the water off of it as best I could and sat down. I buried my head in my hands crying. I sat there weeping until I had no more tears to cry. What had happened was just too awful and sad.

But I had to go back…


Yes, I would go back.


❦❦❦


As I approached the house smoke swirled out of it turning the air gray. I waved it away and opened the charred door. The doorknob was still warm from the fire and my boots were now covered in ash. Inside was what was left of a kitchen and dining room. The chairs were burnt and the cabinets were shattered and their contents were scattered throughout the kitchen.


I walked past the mess to the bottom of the staircase. I stared up its menacing steps, ash scattered along the oak railings.

I took a deep breath and one step at a time walked up. 


Her body lay there, lifeless. The usual friendly light behind her eyes had flickered out. I stood there still as a statue, a tear rolled down my face. His clothing was burned in places giving him a dirty raggedy look. Why did it have to end like this? I asked myself.


I couldn't bear to stand there any longer so I headed back down the steps and out of the charred house. The rain had stopped but the sky was still left a dull gray. I felt dead and lifeless, without her, I was nothing.


My thoughts had obscured my mind and I wasn't aware of where I was walking. I bumped into an animal. I looked down and saw a dog, its fur was sleek and silky, and it looked well fed. I reached out involuntarily to pet it.


It jerked its head around startled. 

I too jumped back, it was no dog, It was a wolf. Not just that surprised me; around its eyes, it had rings of purple and its paws were a goldish yellow.


Then it spoke.


“Finally, I've been looking all over for you!” It exclaimed.


My eyes widened as it spoke. I shook my head to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I wasn't.


“You can talk?” I stammered.


“Oh right, you dont know, I'm a Nightling, we can all talk, we are kind of like spirits, we live inside humans but we have our thoughts and make our own decisions,” It answered.


“So there are more of you? And who's spirit are you?” I asked still surprised.


“I'm hers,” She nodded to the house.


“Wait- then-” I said my tongue not finding the right words.


“Nevermind that,” she said flicking her tail impatiently, “you have to come quick, the Elders need you!” she said.


“Who are the Elders?” I asked stupidly.


“The leaders of the Nightlings, now come quick,” she said hurriedly.


I didn't know if I could trust her but my life was pointless otherwise.


So I followed her into the trees...



September 21, 2021 22:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

87 comments

This is just a preview of the series, feel free to give and criticism, I haven't written in a while! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
23:58 Oct 16, 2021

Hey Isaac! How have you been lately? Are you still going to stay on Reedsy for now? I definitely miss talking with you like we used to :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
15:59 Sep 24, 2021

ooooo that cliffhanger is really good Isaac! It sounds like a great start to a series!

Reply

TJ Squared
21:21 Sep 24, 2021

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
00:46 Mar 26, 2023

i doubt you still check this (and i doubt ill ever see your response) but hey :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Victor .
17:11 Nov 29, 2021

Hello, my name is Nightmare Phantom, but you can call me Night or Mare or any other name you see fit. I am reaching out on reedsy to find more friends and meet more amazing people. If you are interested in getting to know me more, feel free to respond, if not, that's completely fine. I may seem stiff and emotionless at first but I'm a great person once you get to know me, at least I'd hope I am. ~Nightmare Phantom

Reply

oh yeah sure, im open to making new friends :)

Reply

Victor .
22:32 Nov 29, 2021

Sounds great

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
16:40 Nov 25, 2021

if you're still around, if you were to be any animal in a story, what would you be?

Reply

TJ Squared
21:12 Nov 26, 2021

So what animal would you be? And how are you?

Reply

Wolverine. i guess im fine

Reply

TJ Squared
17:27 Nov 27, 2021

ok. if you say so <3 if you ever need to rant, I'm here to listen <3

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
17:59 Nov 02, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:25 Oct 16, 2021

Hey, Isaac! I really enjoyed this little snip-bit of your new series. :) It had a lot of mystery and a good description. There were a couple typos I found, but other than that, great job! the fourth Sanderson sister

Reply

01:38 Oct 17, 2021

My pleasure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:22 Oct 16, 2021

🐲

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mazie Gray
12:05 Oct 13, 2021

TBR VERY SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! (not on my other account so just telling you here hehe)

Reply

Hiya, I haven't seen you in a while!

Reply

14:22 Oct 16, 2021

Hey! I know, it's been wayyyy too long! How've you been?

Reply

ok i guess, hbu?

Reply

01:38 Oct 17, 2021

:/ i've been pretty good

Reply

that's good. why the frown?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philia S
05:59 Sep 27, 2021

🐲🐲🐲 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
21:54 Sep 26, 2021

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟YOU ARE AWESOME🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟Y...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sapphire 🌼
21:53 Sep 26, 2021

🐲 H I Oooh mysterious start to a new series! Can't wait for more! One thing: "Her body lay there, lifeless. The usual friendly light behind her eyes had flickered out. I stood there still as a statue, a tear rolled down my face. His clothing was burned in places giving him a dirty raggedy look. Why did it have to end like this? I asked myself." You kind of switch pronouns of the person who's dead, like you start of by describing them as "her" and then it goes to "his". Unless this person's pronouns are she/him, but that mightttt be a ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
03:56 Sep 22, 2021

Hey Isaac! Good to have you back! I'll try to read this story soon :D how have you been? (I used to be Lone Wolf btw :) )

Reply

Hiya LW! I've been great. hbu?

Reply

TJ Squared
13:12 Sep 22, 2021

I’m alright :)

Reply

TJ Squared
22:23 Sep 22, 2021

:) How’s school going?

Reply

eh kinda boring XD, hbu?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WOAH ISAAC THIS IS SO COOOLLL! Nightlings sounds so m a g i k XD

Reply

XD just mix up Lightning

Reply

also butterfly can be flutter by

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
18:38 Dec 20, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Unknown User
00:52 Jan 05, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:00 Nov 22, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

oh yeah i know. :/

Reply

Unknown User
02:04 Nov 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

im okay, hbu?

Reply

Unknown User
18:48 Nov 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:16 Nov 02, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
12:43 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
12:42 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

correct! 1 point for you!

Reply

Show 0 replies

correct! 1 point for you!

Reply

Unknown User
20:43 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.