Nightling (Preview)

Written in response to: Write about a character driving in the rain.... view prompt

87 comments

Adventure Sad

I trudged down the dull rainy cobblestone path. Rain sloshed into my shoes, soaking the toes of my socks. I continued to walk aimlessly down the path, tears streaming from my eyes. 

“WHY!?” I screamed into the sky, “Why do these things happen to me?!” I asked no one.


I came to a rainy wooden bench at the side of the path. I wiped the water off of it as best I could and sat down. I buried my head in my hands crying. I sat there weeping until I had no more tears to cry. What had happened was just too awful and sad.

But I had to go back…


Yes, I would go back.


❦❦❦


As I approached the house smoke swirled out of it turning the air gray. I waved it away and opened the charred door. The doorknob was still warm from the fire and my boots were now covered in ash. Inside was what was left of a kitchen and dining room. The chairs were burnt and the cabinets were shattered and their contents were scattered throughout the kitchen.


I walked past the mess to the bottom of the staircase. I stared up its menacing steps, ash scattered along the oak railings.

I took a deep breath and one step at a time walked up. 


Her body lay there, lifeless. The usual friendly light behind her eyes had flickered out. I stood there still as a statue, a tear rolled down my face. His clothing was burned in places giving him a dirty raggedy look. Why did it have to end like this? I asked myself.


I couldn't bear to stand there any longer so I headed back down the steps and out of the charred house. The rain had stopped but the sky was still left a dull gray. I felt dead and lifeless, without her, I was nothing.


My thoughts had obscured my mind and I wasn't aware of where I was walking. I bumped into an animal. I looked down and saw a dog, its fur was sleek and silky, and it looked well fed. I reached out involuntarily to pet it.


It jerked its head around startled. 

I too jumped back, it was no dog, It was a wolf. Not just that surprised me; around its eyes, it had rings of purple and its paws were a goldish yellow.


Then it spoke.


“Finally, I've been looking all over for you!” It exclaimed.


My eyes widened as it spoke. I shook my head to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I wasn't.


“You can talk?” I stammered.


“Oh right, you dont know, I'm a Nightling, we can all talk, we are kind of like spirits, we live inside humans but we have our thoughts and make our own decisions,” It answered.


“So there are more of you? And who's spirit are you?” I asked still surprised.


“I'm hers,” She nodded to the house.


“Wait- then-” I said my tongue not finding the right words.


“Nevermind that,” she said flicking her tail impatiently, “you have to come quick, the Elders need you!” she said.


“Who are the Elders?” I asked stupidly.


“The leaders of the Nightlings, now come quick,” she said hurriedly.


I didn't know if I could trust her but my life was pointless otherwise.


So I followed her into the trees...



September 21, 2021 22:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

87 comments

Unknown User
12:42 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

MY TREENNNNDDDDDDD yes 1 point for youuuuu

Reply

see how may other ppl you can spam it tooooooo :D

Reply

Unknown User
20:42 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

MY TREENNNNDDDDDDD yes 1 point for youuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Unknown User
01:13 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
00:28 Sep 24, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

ty. did u figure out any of the contests or do the trend? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:44 Sep 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

XDD thanks. I got the name because I flipped lightning around XDDDDD

Reply

Unknown User
23:49 Sep 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
23:19 Sep 21, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Thanks so much, Sienna!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
06:48 Mar 11, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.