Yesterday is Today

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write your story about two characters tidying up after a party.... view prompt

20 comments

Fiction

Where is the moment we needed the most?

You kick up the leaves, and the magic is lost

They tell me your blue sky's faded to gray

They tell me your passion's gone away

And I don't need no carrying on….

“Mallory, please shut that off,” I groaned. “now is not the time for that song,” 

“I mean, it kind of is,” she replied, sweeping broken glass into the trash can. 

You stand in the line just to hit a new low

You're faking a smile with the coffee to go

You tell me your life's been way off line

You're falling to pieces every time

And I don't need no carrying on

“SING IT SISTER!” Mallory bellowed at me, and we both inhaled, screaming over the song. I used my broom as my imaginary microphone. 

'Cause you had a bad day

You're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know

You tell me, "don't lie"

You work at a smile, and you go for a ride

You had a bad day

The camera don't lie

You're coming back down, and you really don't mind

You had a bad day

You had a bad day

“Do you two need a repeat of the scolding you got?” our mother asked, interrupting our karaoke session as she walked into the living room. Her silver hair fell out of her loose bun, and she pulled it back up. A corner of her mouth twitched as she heard Daniel Powter’s song over the speakers. We looked at each other, then at her. 

“We thought it appropriate for our situation,” Mallory offered, her blond ponytail swishing as she dumped the fourteen empty pizza boxes into the recycling bin. Mom looked at me, and I shrugged, picking up the red polo cups from the stacks on the floor. Most of them were still filled with red punch. And by the smell of some, they had been spiked, as well. 

“Seriously, you guys, what were you thinking?” mom sighed, turning and going. I looked at my twin, our minds flitting back to two hours ago. 


***


“Come on, Jules. You have to say yes. It’s our senior year. We’ll be gone next year!” Mallory pleaded, her gray eyes imploring me to understand. I shook my head firmly. 

“Mom and dad don’t know about it. And plus, we don’t need to break their trust,” I replied, crossing my arms. Mallory pouted. 

“Jules...only fifteen people. And we’ll order stuff from our own money. And clean up before they get back in the morning,” she begged. I stared at her. 

“Only fifteen people?” I checked. She nodded vigorously, her blond ponytail bobbing up and down. I pulled my dyed-blue hair into a bun. “Fine. Let’s get this over with,” I said. 

An hour later, the party was in full swing. 

And it looked like our entire grade was here. 

I waded through the throng of people, smiling and saying hello to people I normally never talked to. Jefferson Archer, one of the football guys, slung an arm over me, his breath smelling like the rear end of a pig. 

“Babe, neat party,” he slurred. I smiled sweetly, then unslung his arm from my shoulders and went off to find my sister. I caught a glimpse of her blond hair from the kitchen, so I waded through the throng that was definitely not fifteen people, trying to find her. 

“Mall!” I called, and I saw her whip around, expression immediately contrite. I reached her, after being bumped by over five different people. 

“Julia, I’m so sorry,” she said, shaking her head in disgust as one of the cheerleaders spilled her red solo cup all over the hardwood floor. I closed my eyes and tried to calm myself down. 

“How did this happen?” I demanded, feeling a headache begin at the bridge of my nose. She shrugged. 

“I invited my freinds, but they invited their friends, and their friends invited their boyfriends, and somehow the entier football team got here and then I think the swim team-” she said, but I cut her off. 

“Mall!” I whisper-screamed. “How are we going to get them out of here? How are we going to clean up? This is all your fault,” I said. She rolled her eyes. 

“Goddammit, Jules. It’s not the end of the world. Like what are mom and dad gonna do? Walk in here right now?” she asked sarcastically.

"Oh, I don't know, Mallory Elise Thompson. If only your mother didn't forget his keys, you might just have gotten away with this," we heard our father's voice behind us, and we froze, turning around slowly. Our father was standing behind us, just inside the back door, their gazes murderous. Mallory squeaked in fear.

"Dad? This is not what it looks like," she whispered. Our father crossed his arms.

"Oh really? Then tell me, what is it? 'Cause from my perspective this is a party that doesn't look like something we approved," he said. Then he raised his voice.

"You all have five minutes to get your crap and get out of here before the cops get here," he shouted. Mallory and I cringed, as instantly, kids ran out of different places in our house, scrambling out of closets and under the stairs. One couple came out of our linen closet, their clothes rumpled in an obvious make-out sesh. My dad glared at them. “Really?” he demanded. They laughed awkwardly and ran out of the house. Within two minutes flat, the house was cleared out, and the only person remaining was the DJ someone had hired, standing next to his makeshift booth. My mom looked at him. 

“And what are you waiting for?” she asked him. He looked at her, nervously. 

“My $100, ma’am,” he replied. My mother sighed and looked at us. 

“That’s out of your pockets,” she gritted out before handing over five twenties. He took the money, tipped his white cowboy hat at us, and then ducked out of the house. 

It took all of two seconds for our parents to explode.


***


“Ugh, someone left a...gods is that…?” Mallory asked me, wordlessly handing up a clump of latex, her upper lip curled in disgust. I shuddered and motioned to the trash can. 

“Put it away, put it away,” I told her, retching a little. 

“It’s what happens when over fifty high school students are in a small area together,” she said, and I cracked up. 

“Yes it is,” I replied. 

Our parents had obviously asked whose idea this party was, and since we didn’t rat each other out, I had said it was both our ideas. Except we obviously didn’t invite all of them. Our parents had sighed and told us to clean up before going to bed and that in the morning, they’d dole out an exacting punishment. 

And so, until three in the morning, we cleaned unmentionables off the floor, scrubbed the fruit punch from the ceiling, and dug out food from the couches. 

We collapsed, exhausted, onto the sofa. 

“Moral of the story?” I asked Mallory, my eyelids drooping.

“Make sure we don’t get caught,” she murmured. I elbowed her and she laughed. “Okay, okay. Um, not at our house next time,” she tried. I rolled my eyes. 

“Really?” I asked in disbelief. She smiled. 

“Don’t-” she started but I cut her off. 

Always listen to your twin.”


May 14, 2021 16:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

20 comments

03:12 May 15, 2021

I would like to start off by saying that it's hilarious how different our stories are, even if they're under the same prompt. This story was hilarious and cute. The parents' reactions and the twins seem so real and genuine, so great job with that. There are a few spelling and punctuation errors; I'll point them out to you if you'd like. Great job! (I have a new story out!)

Reply

Nainika Gupta
12:04 May 15, 2021

:) Thanks Annabelle! And already got 'em, just fixing them now :)

Reply

12:08 May 15, 2021

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KED KED
17:38 May 14, 2021

Haha! This was super cute. I liked the opening scene of the sisters lamenting their party gone wrong... But also...cleaning up used condoms from the floor is punishment enough! LOL

Reply

Nainika Gupta
02:01 May 15, 2021

:) Thanks so much :) YES YOU GOT IT I didn't want to sAY .... ahem ... because young peeps on here but glad you understood what I meant LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
20:56 May 17, 2021

This makes me never want to go to a party. xD I feel the second hand embarrassment and the backlash. And cleaning up that... um... yeah. xD Gross. Nice Job Nainika! It did feel a bit rushed though. I would suggest maybe slowing it down a bit?

Reply

Nainika Gupta
11:49 May 18, 2021

:) Yeppp! Thanks so much! yeah, it was. I thought about an entirely different ending but the deadline was FAST approaching so I was like....mmmm NAh :)

Reply

Charli Britton
13:45 May 18, 2021

Hahahaha I get that. xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zoey Hailey
02:42 May 16, 2021

omggg this was so cute and funny, I liked it a lot! I loved the introduction with the two sisters deploring as they clean up after their party, and the sisters relationship was super cute. I also liked that subtle hint at them cleaning up used condemns off the floor XD! Miss girl I would have simply ✨passed away✨ The moral of the story: there’s never JUST a single group of friends at one party Great job once again nainikaaaaaa ilyyyy <333333

Reply

Nainika Gupta
13:34 May 16, 2021

XDDDD thanks so much Zoeeeeey :) Means a lot hehehe YEP ilyttttttttttttttt

Reply

Zoey Hailey
03:57 May 18, 2021

no problem nainikaaaaaaaaaa:) <33333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
13:20 May 15, 2021

Ok this was actually hilarious and cute. I love how chaotic these two are, really reminds me of me and my sister. Moral of the story: No party will ever be "just 15 people"

Reply

Show 0 replies
J. Storbakken
23:33 May 18, 2021

Very reminiscent of the HS party days. I loved the song quotes, and the lively dialogue and character play. Great one.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
23:57 May 18, 2021

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alya Kaikuahine
01:57 May 18, 2021

Super good! I liked the humor that was added in it, it is a nice pace from the usually sad and very emotional stories that are usually on here(not saying those are bad, they are always very sweet to read, but I would like to not sob in a corner every time I come on reedsy:D). The characters had a nice chemistry and the dialogue and descriptions were perfecto! I was a little confused as to why the first part in all in italics, even the parts that are not the song lyrics, but I don't know, do you have a reason for that? That aside, super duper...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
11:46 May 18, 2021

LOL yes ahaha I DO like my sad stories :) So the first part IS song lyrics - that entire part is lyrics.....is anything else in italics? I'll have to check lol YES!! You're the first person to guess it correctly!!! Aw, no worries! I'll check it out ASAP!

Reply

Alya Kaikuahine
11:55 May 18, 2021

:):) Yeah, I think some of the words are in italics "“Mallory, please shut that off,” I groaned. “now is not the time for that song,” “I mean, it kind of is,” she replied, sweeping broken glass into the trash can." And a couple more after that are in italics. Yay!!! :):):):):) Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ruth Smith
16:37 May 21, 2021

Great story! So realistic and fun! There are a few typos in it. The obvious one I caught was " If only your mother didn't forget his keys, " I'm not sure if its too late to change this, I think once a story is approved you can't.

Reply

Nainika Gupta
16:56 May 21, 2021

:) Thanks! Yep, already caught those darn mistakes but thanks for pointing it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
14:32 May 18, 2021

OOPS GUYS MY BAD THe italics got a little haywire my apologies - def didn't mean that

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.