Shade of purple

Submitted into Contest #48 in response to: Write about someone who always comes to the aid of others.... view prompt

22 comments

Adventure Fantasy Thriller

Trigger warning: violence and domestic abuse

She pulled up her purple hoodie and revealed the most sensational yet terrifying eyes. Once she saw me looking at her as if I'm studying her she shy-ed away and began to put her hoodie back on.

 

“No don’t, it’s just I have never seen someone with those eyes before.”

 

She looked up and gave me a snarky reply

 

“Those eyes? Is that supposed to make me feel better?”

 

I examined her body; of the bits I could see she looked rather chubby. Her face was a full face, but the muscles around her face were rather taut. The idea of chubbiness arose to me when I looked to her belly it seemed as though she were 8 months pregnant and ready to pop any second.

 

She let out a wail.

 

It sounded more like a cat being strangled than anything else and I instructed her to lift up her hoodie completely.

 

I motioned for her to lie down on the bed.

 

She let out yet another wail.

It’s been 16 years since my mother had past away. Sir Tobius doesn’t speak much about her and when I do try to prey information out of him all he says is she had the strangest eyes. I don’t know much about my mother and nor does anyone in the village all I know about her is just that she must have been as athletic as me. I out run everyone. My birthday is just around the corner and I am yet again stuck, in another daydream about my mother. How did she survive not telling?

 

I haven’t told anyone yet, but it becomes more difficult to hide it as I get older, I still don’t know what I am and how I will ever find out though , but as I get older I know I cant be human.

 

The girls at school look a lot different than me they have a bit of a waist and are firmly build , where as I have a narrow waist and are muscular on every bone even my face is beginning to go taut and I’m starting to develop some sort of keen sense of smell. I’m too scared to tell anyone for I don’t even know what I am.

 

When I started high school kids use to call me ugly names like “Weirdo” and “Freak” I didn’t know why they called me those names until I met Laura Bosch. She told me my eyes ,as well as my ears are rather peculiar for a human. She didn’t use the word human though she use the word ‘teenager’ , but I knew what she meant and discarded her only to have her follow me around and apologise. Since that day we have been best friends.

 

She is always there and tells me not to think any less of myself, because of how I look and act. Being unique is special and I should own it.

 

We are currently sitting in History class discussing World War II. I don’t like history at all so I decided to rather text Laura about plans for the weekend seeing as its already Wednesday.

 

“Heya girl …

This class is so boring …. Wanna hang out this weekend?”

 

Within 2 minutes Laura replied.

 

“Sure why don’t you sleep over then… My house ,after school, Friday we can walk home. :*”

 

With that a smile crept on my face Sir Tobias didn’t like me walking home, but now he wouldn’t know seeing as I’m sleeping over at Laura’s house.

 

The day past as quickly as it began my birthday was Monday. I wanted to know more about my mother, but Sir Tobias probably knowing I wanted to ask wasn’t at home when I was at home. Just the occasional note on the table was a reminder that he was okay.

 

It’s now Friday morning and today is the day that I’m going to sleep over at Laura’s house and most probably walk home from school for my first time. I know this sounds stupid, but I’m so excited to walk to home and not be driven to home by a pretend to be friendly chauffer.

 

I enter the school hall only to be called ugly names once again like the first day, wait I thought this was over, seems not. I ran to the bathroom to wash off my already red face. Laura follows after a few seconds.

 

“I told those jerk their fortunes, those bloody assholes…..”

 

I smile

 

“Let’s ditch this shithole.”

 

An even bigger smile crept on my face and Laura and I decide we are going to wait till the bell rings and then climb through the toilet window and head on to her house.

 

 

Walking to her home we begin with a heavy debate whether only boys are assholes or boys and girls.

 

“You know what I think it’s, because they lack the sense of being on a period and feeling pain that they are such assholes.”

 

“But on the other hand if you have periods your full of shit too aren’t you?”

 

Laura and I both laugh.

“Fancy seeing you around …. What you gals laughing about…”

 

“Mmmm yes tell us too.”

 

Two strangers big and muscular approach us, I smell a rotten smell and are instantly on my guard, but too my dismay Laura tries to flirt with one of them and are instantly caught in one of their grips.

 

“What do you want?”

 

I say. 

 

“Nothing much”

 

Another stranger from behind me says.

 

“Just for you to die.”

 

In that moment my eyes go huge and I froze. I sank down to my knees ready to meet my doom only to see Laura plunder in front of me. Her body soaked with blood. She has managed to escape the one guys grip by kicking him in the crotch only to safe my life. She lays there lifeless.

 

My hands instantly go up and a purple flames shoot through them my body begins to shudder and I turn.

 

The one man screams the other says the following.

 

“We should have killed you when we had the change: Kitsune. Your mother was so delicious, but you your going to be even more delicious.”

 

With that a howl escapes his mouth and I instantly know this is werewolves the ones Sir Tobias has always told me about. The evil ones.

 

I run like the wind with my new found Kitsune meaning powerful fox paws, but I’m too late when I enter my home I smell the blood. Sir Tobias lays there on the floor, throat ripped out.

 

I moan.

 

I pant.

 

Then a familiar voice enters my thoughts. Come to the lake, we have been waiting for you, don’t howl, your friend and uncle has died heroes.”

 

 

 

July 02, 2020 16:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

22 comments

22:27 Jul 12, 2020

This is a very interesting story Anja. It draws you in wanting to know more. When I came to the end, I couldn't wait to find out what would take place near the lake! A part two would be so awesome :-)

Reply

Anja Z
22:30 Jul 12, 2020

Aww thank you for your kind comment will think about bringing a part two :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
PAMELA ABWAO
10:12 Jul 10, 2020

Filled my eyes with tears at first You have a way of telling stories that makes me want to read to the end

Reply

Anja Z
12:31 Jul 10, 2020

Aww thank you for your kind comment :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
17:01 Jul 05, 2020

I really like this story, Anja. The way you described everything is appreciative. Would you mind checking out my recent story? Thank you;)

Reply

Anja Z
17:19 Jul 05, 2020

Aww thank you Will do so asap :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nancy Drayce
21:54 Jul 04, 2020

Wow... Amazing! I really liked the conversation between the main character and Laura; I had a smile on my face and then... in just a split second my feelings have changed, wow. Great job!

Reply

Anja Z
07:35 Jul 05, 2020

Thank you so much for your kind comment :D and also thank you for reading my story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
21:29 Jul 03, 2020

A very well-written opening paragraph, and an even better ending! Would you mind checking my recent story out too? Thank you! :)

Reply

Anja Z
21:31 Jul 03, 2020

Thank you :D Will do so

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
19:35 Jul 03, 2020

Well done. Definitely can see the expansion to this storyline. Had to reread a couple of spots to understand the flow of the story.

Reply

Anja Z
20:00 Jul 03, 2020

Sorry for the inconvenience I will try and work on that thank you for your comment :D

Reply

Corey Melin
20:56 Jul 03, 2020

It could just be me. I read quite a few stories and realized I needed to take a break from all the great talent.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
21:31 Jul 02, 2020

You have some very interesting ideas Anja, although I’m not sure I understood where you were going with them here...Is this part of a longer story?

Reply

Anja Z
21:42 Jul 02, 2020

It's more like a cliff hanger for the reader to decide what will happen next . I'm showing abit of every character ,, it's more over also how the daughter feels all alone and feel more free to be able to go where she wants to but then realizes she should have listened to Sir Tobias , also Sir Tobias knows more than he let's to believe , but Laura is just another friend trying to help cause she sees the daughter being sad or worried about something , this is the daughter's journey in a way to be closer to her Mom . Thank you for your comm...

Reply

Shirley Medhurst
21:48 Jul 02, 2020

Ah ok 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
18:32 Jul 02, 2020

I like your story Anja but just one thing,the tense. I think some parts need you to polish the use of tense a little. Other than that,great work Anja.

Reply

Anja Z
19:15 Jul 02, 2020

Thank you for your kind comment :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:50 May 12, 2021

I love superhero movies, this is right down my alley. Thank you so much!🤗

Reply

15:51 May 12, 2021

Btw I'm not saying this is a superhero movie, I'm just saying this is LIKE a superhero movie... And I love it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Colette L
08:07 Jul 23, 2020

Amazing story! Can't wait for a part two! ;)

Reply

Anja Z
09:12 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.