743 comments

Thriller Suspense

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.


Trigger warning: murder, mental illness, drowning


***


I sigh with content as I watch the sunrise, filling the darkness of the world with its light. The fiery red slowly turns into orange, then a bright yellow. 


The rays hit my body, and the sudden warmth makes me shiver. I close my eyes, and my long, black hair spreads out on the grassy hill below me. Lifting my head, I look forward groggily.


I study the sun’s reflection in the lake, a blend of colors making art.


“The view is nice, isn’t it?” Alice giggles beside me. I squeeze her cheeks, wrapping my arms around her tiny body. “Aurora!” she cries.


Ignoring her comment, I speak. “You never grow up, do you? You’re still the same after all these years.”


She rolls her eyes. “I’m seven! What do you expect? I won’t be as old as your seventy-year-old body!”


I mock a gasp. “I’m actually seventeen!”


She tsks. “Same thing in my eyes.”


Flicking her forehead, I grin. “The same eyes that basically don’t work anymore?” She groans in response, too tired to respond.


We stay quiet in comfortable silence, watching the sun slowly rise. I notice that Alice’s skin becomes brighter, more alive, as the sun travels farther across our sky.


We don’t move. We eat a sandwich, although I’m unsure about where it came from. 


My eyebrows furrow. “Where did you get that?”


She smiles mischievously. “I prepared it ahead of time,” she explains.


Alice said she prepared it, but it looked like she created it out of thin air. But that’s my sister; always prepared, always ready. Unlike her body, her brain is huge, constantly thinking ahead of time.


I sit up, leaning over to kiss her forehead. She makes a disgusted face but I don’t care. I love my sister, I would never let her be in harm’s way.


“Aurora...?” she calls, pulling me out of my thoughts. 


“Yes?” I answer, tilting my head.


“Can we hug?” She pouts, giving me puppy eyes. I beam, she is never one for affection.


I scoot over and hug her, feeling her ribs. I notice that she’s skinnier than usual, but I don’t worry- I’m sure she can take care of herself.


She slowly dozes off, her little snores making my heart fill with an immense amount of love.


It’s the middle of the day but I don’t care. Snuggling into her, I am lulled into a deep sleep.


***


“Aurora!” somebody is shaking me awake. I groan, rubbing my eyes. Lazily sitting up, I look at my little sister.


“Yes, Alice?” I’m now fully awake.


She points forward, beaming. “Look! The lake!”


“What about it?” I ask, curious about her sudden excitement. 


“It must be warm right now!”


I peer at the water. She’s right; it does seem warm right now. Nodding at her, we run forward. Wobbling down the hill, we take a seat on the dock and peel off our socks. We didn’t bring shoes in the first place, I don’t need to worry about those. I do wonder what happened to them, though.


Sitting beside each other, we dip our feet in. The water ripples, and the sudden rush of water between my toes tickles.


We sit peacefully, watching as the sun slowly makes its exit. The sky darkens and the water is no longer comforting. Despite the lack of warmth, we stay seated, hands intertwined. 


The sun sets, and another light rises. The moon.


I watch as the moon reflects off the lake, no longer aware of the cold. It caught my breath— the beauty of the moon could not be captured by mere words.


It rose, higher and higher. The sun, forgotten, had taken all the warmth and comfort of my world away. I look to my left.


Alice is gone.


My mind clouds with confusion, yet no fear. I look around, knowing that something wasn’t right. 


Getting up, my dripping feet are blasted with wind. I ignore my freezing toes. 


“Alice?” I call, my voice echoing. No response.


I look around once again. A memory hits me, and wild laughter escapes my body.


“She’s dead!” I laugh, slapping my knee.


“Because I killed her!”


I smile calmly and sit down again. This time, I cross my legs so that my feet don’t get wet. 


She had disappeared with the moon.


A memory plays in my head.


“Aurora! Aurora!” Somebody is screaming my name frantically. We were on the dock, my thoughts foggy.


In a surge of anger, I grab their neck, my vision blurry and red with fury. I throw the tiny body into the lake, and my vision clears in time to see flying arms. Splashes of water land on me as I hear a wail.


“Aurora!” Alice is screaming, trying to stay afloat. Her eyes beg me to save her, begging for me to jump in and rescue her. 


“Please! I don’t know how to swim!” She flails her arms and desperately tries to kick her legs. I sigh, rolling my eyes. Duh.


Her legs and arms stop fighting the unpreventable, excitement enveloping my body. Her screams are no longer clear, her mouth gurgling. 


I watch as her body sinks to the bottom, her lifeless eyes staring into my soul. 


I walk away, shameless.


But I come back. I have nowhere else to go, anyway. Something in me cracks. “What did I just do?” I murmur repetitively to myself, the situation surreal. “What did I just do?!” I plop down on the dock and pull at my hair in disbelief. “No, no, no!” I scream. My eyes are wide open, staring at her. Her eyes are still open.


“Never in harm’s way! I’d never let her be in harm’s way!” I’m screeching, chest raising and lowering rapidly. I’m pulling out clumps of hair, trying to make myself hurt somewhere besides my heart.


I swear she just turned her head towards me. I swear I just saw her blink-


Hands are grabbing at me, the memory dissipating. What’s happening? What did I do this time? People are surrounding me but my eyes can’t focus, my heart is beating crazily.


I hear a man sigh. “We found her.” 


Adrenaline pumps and I kick my legs, screaming in defiance as they hold me down. They push me on my back so that I lay on the rough wood.


I tire and I stop moving. Panting, I lay on the ground. I look up at the moon with a blank expression. 


A man hovers over me, blocking my view. He murmurs to the other people, who appear to be doctors. 


I can’t hear anything, only the sound of howling wind. I see that he stabs me with a needle, and although I don’t feel anything, my vision is quickly darkening.


A sudden wave of serendipity washes over me, calming my nerves. I smile happily and the doctors look confused. 


The last words I hear are “bipolar disorder” and “hallucinations,” although I don’t understand what they mean by that. My eyelids threaten to close but I force them to stay open. But I can’t continue to fight.


I’ll see you tomorrow night, Alice.


I love you.


I stare at the moon’s reflection in the lake as the world turns completely dark.

November 17, 2020 01:24

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

743 comments

Amaya .
00:04 Dec 16, 2020

Hey Angelina I am so, so sorry for Ashona, Arjun, and Isabella. I have no idea what's going through their heads, but their behavior isn't okay. Keep your chin up, and don't let your crown slip off your head. (ignore the fact that i literally borrowed that from YOUR bio. anyway....) People like these really have no life. They're bullying you for no apparent reason, and yes i do think this could be considered bullying. I sincerely hope that you aren't forced to leave the platform because of them, because being the petty person I am I don...

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:32 Dec 16, 2020

I’m actually doing great! Although they’re annoying, it’s brought a lot of people to my platform that make me so happy! :) (Nice quote, btw)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N. N.
09:13 Dec 15, 2020

Hey, Angelina, This is a really beautiful story, as are your other stories. Your descriptions are quite vivid, and I loved the twist. My heart goes out for Aurora, just as much as it goes for Alice. The feelings were outspoken, and could connect with the reader on a personal level. The last scene, especially was rather bittersweet. A Breathtakingly sad tale, but, great job!! Also, I noticed that you've received a lot of spams, in the form of comments, and rather less true notes on your story. This is quite unprofessional of them, and I...

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:24 Dec 16, 2020

Oh my gosh. Thank you so much :( I don’t even know how to express how grateful I am 🥺

Reply

N. N.
04:34 Dec 17, 2020

No problem! ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mila Van Niekerk
16:22 Jul 01, 2021

Me again! Wow.... the plot twist, I- This is really good, just: instead of saying: “She’s dead!” I laugh, slapping my knee. “Because I killed her!” maybe say something like: ''Oh, right!,'' I laugh, slapping my knee. ''She's dead. She was murdered. But who would do such a monstrous thing?'' I would, of course. And instead of: my dripping feet are blasted with wind Say: the wind bites at my wet feet. These are just my opinion, though 😊😊 If it won't be too much trouble, do you think you could check out my story ''When the Shadows come out...

Reply

Angelina Tran
22:25 Jul 12, 2022

Hey! Thank you once again. I'll check it out right now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi, Angelina! This spamming stuff thats going on with ur reedsy is so not cool and it makesme so angry >:( I went through and downvoted spam. Uhg, Im so sorry about this! Its an absolute stinky dumpster filled with diapers. Have a happy new year and good rest of the day! Dont hesitate to reach out if you want me to do an upvote spree anywhere or anything, absolutley anything AT ALL. -Carolina :D

Reply

Angelina Tran
18:46 Jan 02, 2021

:( tysm <33 Happy New Year! :D

Reply

Hey, also just real quick, would you mind signing this petition to end the downvoting feature on reedsy? Heres the link: https://forms.gle/j3V39n9S928uxrbX9 Thanks!

Reply

Angelina Tran
19:55 Jan 04, 2021

Ofc!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
14:42 Dec 31, 2020

Angelina, This was a great story. It reminded me so much of like a Law and Order episode or maybe the Twilight Zone. I think at the last part, when you included the Bipolar ref, I'd probably not say those are the last words she hear, but actually show her hearing them and overhearing a convo. Great Job!!! In case you don't know, we, the Marshmallows (Me, Jennie, Nainika, Kate, Mira, Celeste) are making a downvote police where we upvote people that are being spammed or downvoted, and we're gonna do everything we can for you XD Please post a...

Reply

Angelina Tran
18:45 Jan 02, 2021

Awww, thank you so so much :( I’ve honestly lost all motivation but hopefully I can start again soon!

Reply

. .
18:52 Jan 02, 2021

Pls dooooooooo to quote Elphaba, “You can’t bring me down”

Reply

Angelina Tran
23:08 Jan 02, 2021

Next week, hopefully! ;) just waiting for an exciting prompt

Reply

. .
23:57 Jan 02, 2021

Yay!! I posted a new story!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
02:15 Dec 31, 2020

Dear Angelina, you deserve more upvotes! I'm going to upvote you now :D

Reply

Angelina Tran
02:39 Dec 31, 2020

Oh my gosh, what a nice surprise!! Thank you :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:44 Jan 01, 2021

Is the spam getting better/less lately?

Reply

Angelina Tran
18:46 Jan 02, 2021

It’s actually stopped! Thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
20:52 Dec 14, 2020

OMG THIS IS THE FIRST TIME THAT I SAW YOUR PROF PIC ARE YOU DAHYUN OR MOMO OR A TWICE MEMBER??????? ALSO BANG CHAN IS PRETTY AWESOME AND KAACHI SUCKKKSKSSSSSSSSS...

Reply

Angelina Tran
03:55 Dec 15, 2020

GIRL- ILY. I ULT NCT(+WAYV), SKZ, TWICE AKJSAKKS (but i stan other groups, like kard, mamamoo, itzy, and others i forgot hehe) for soloists: chungha, baekhyun!! am i secretly a twice member? who knows... 😳‼️ I DON’T UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE LIKE KAACHI NOW 😭 streaming baekhyun’s album “delight” right now :) [10/10, i love him🥺] do you have a twitter or insta? let’s be friends :)

Reply

. .
12:47 Dec 15, 2020

I AM A HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MAMAMOO FANNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! THEY WERE MY PROFILE PIC FOR SOOOOOoo LONONONONONGGGGGGG!!!!! KAACHI SUCKS!!!!! I don't have twitter or insta sad but we can be friends on here ^^!!

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:26 Dec 16, 2020

What other groups do you stan? :) Also- do you have other social media? (I don’t mind being friends on here though) :D

Reply

. .
21:40 Dec 16, 2020

Soooooooooo sooooorrrrrryyyy I don't have other social media, but I MEGASTAN MAMAMOO and I love 2NE1, SNSD, SISTAR, SEVENTEEN, BIGBANG, SHINee, and Blackpink, so yeah. I like some others too

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:55 Dec 16, 2020

omg you’re definitely an old kpop gg stan. i’m a 3rd-4th bg kpop stan, haha

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
12:50 Dec 15, 2020

Also, you gotta check out Ailee she is the best kpop singer I heard and I stan mamamoo, so like that's saying something ^^

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:25 Dec 16, 2020

I LOVE AILEE OMFG. SHE WAS THE FIRST KPOP I LISTENED TO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
15:19 Dec 14, 2020

OH. MY. GOD. This is sooooo good!!!! This deserves a shortlist. My soul, its awesome!! The thrill and everything!! I absolutely loved it. Keep writing Sis!

Reply

Angelina Tran
17:27 Dec 14, 2020

Thank you so much! :D

Reply

Sia S
02:24 Dec 15, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andy Pagliuca
02:45 Nov 27, 2020

Well... just... wow really great read

Reply

Angelina Tran
16:15 Nov 27, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
04:04 Nov 24, 2020

Hello Angelina! I loved the twists you brought in this story (though it was sad). I thought Alice was the mysterious girl, but not the other way round! The suspense and thrill made it gripping to read. Keep it up!

Reply

Angelina Tran
05:49 Nov 24, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
07:10 Dec 20, 2020

Of course! :) I hope people like Arjun, Ashona and Isabella stop. What they're doing is not helping anybody here. They're getting on everyone's nerves by typing in useless spam messages and cluttering the comment section. No matter what happens, we're all here to help one another out. We have to fight against these people. This isn't a place where they can troll talented writers. I hope this never happens again. Don't let them demotivate you. (I upvoted you because you deserve those points.) Have you tried emailing Jenn or someone else at Re...

Reply

Angelina Tran
15:41 Dec 24, 2020

I have emailed Jenn! Unfortunately, there’s nothing we can do but she’s speaking with the Tech Team!

Reply

Akshaya ✨
02:55 Dec 25, 2020

Okay, I hope they sort this out soon!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
User_2443 0967
00:01 Sep 15, 2022

girl... no words. you are so amazingly talented! words cannot describe how I felt for this book. keep up the fabulous, fabulous work!!! :) Lucia

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arjun Chen
20:03 Jan 06, 2021

GIRL U SHUD CONTINUE WRITING UR ACTUALLY GOOD SO YEA

Reply

Angelina Tran
22:03 Jan 15, 2021

someday...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey, sorry for asking, but do you know any ways I can get my stories out there?

Reply

Angelina Tran
02:21 Jan 06, 2021

on reedsy or other apps/webs?

Reply

Actually nvm, I don't really have social media lol

Reply

Angelina Tran
22:02 Jan 15, 2021

oh lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
19:55 Dec 13, 2020

Oh well, well, this was dark. Aurora is a character to empathize for. Poor little Alice. The ending is just depressing and you've written this so well. Also, I wanted to let you know that you shouldn't leave the site, demotivated if you ever feel so. I know how hard it is to keep up with the spamming and all, but you have all the potential to become a greater writer here. With all the critique and compliments, you're going to improve tremendously. I just hope you don't leave Reedsy. Speaking of which, did you try emailing Jenn or any au...

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:57 Dec 13, 2020

Thank you for the compliments! I plan to email her today; if not, tomorrow. :)

Reply

Orenda .
03:22 Dec 14, 2020

Of course! Oh okay, then.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
00:07 Dec 16, 2020

have you emailed?

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:34 Dec 16, 2020

hehe, i keep forgetting! too many tests at school

Reply

Amaya .
00:46 Dec 17, 2020

i can relate lolll

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
09:00 Nov 29, 2020

Oh, amazing story. I loved reading this and,you have used the prompt Well. Great story. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story “Childish dream?”

Reply

Angelina Tran
15:14 Nov 29, 2020

I’m sorry, I’m being spammed so I didn’t see your comment!

Reply

Keerththan 😀
15:21 Nov 29, 2020

It’s ok

Reply

Angelina Tran
15:22 Nov 29, 2020

I have 500 comments now... I hate it :(

Reply

Keerththan 😀
15:24 Nov 29, 2020

That’s so sad. Leave it aside.

Reply

Angelina Tran
15:26 Nov 29, 2020

:( trying

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Courtney Cloud
01:31 Nov 28, 2020

Wow! This was beautiful and haunting. I absolutely loved it!

Reply

Angelina Tran
07:55 Nov 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rhyan Dick
03:00 Nov 27, 2020

Obviously your story is amazing! I love your sense of imagery, I pictured everything clearly. could you check out my story? I'd love tips on how to make it better!

Reply

Angelina Tran
16:15 Nov 27, 2020

Sure! And thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tye Foon
17:21 Nov 25, 2020

On the first read, the immersion was broken for me by some of the strangeness in the actions and dialogue. On the second pass I understood how you were using those as foreshadowing. I'm not entirely sure what most of the other comments are speaking of when they say double twist? I am assuming it's because they were going into the story with the prompt and warning in mind (preconceived notion), and you subverted that with the twist. Or maybe "she's dead" and "I killed her" were the two twists, but in my mind "she's dead" is part of the st...

Reply

Angelina Tran
17:31 Nov 25, 2020

Thank you so much! Sadly, I can’t edit it anymore but thank you for the tips! I’m not sure about the double-twist either, to be honest, haha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alesia Lindsey
20:52 Nov 22, 2020

Very unique. I throughly enjoyed reading it all!👍

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:19 Nov 22, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
21:37 Dec 16, 2020

SHE IS AMAZINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I LOVE HER VOCALS SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! MAMAMOO IS MY FAVE GROUP AND I GOT MIRA CAPLAN INTO THEM TOO!!!!!!! ALSO, if you've listened to ailee, listen to Sohyang, she's the best korean singer that's out of kpop, even better than every korean singer.

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:38 Dec 16, 2020

omg, she sounds amazing. will def check her out! is she on spotify? i recommend gfriend’s “mago” and nct’s “back 2 7” and “yestoday”! :D

Reply

. .
21:41 Dec 16, 2020

Nah, she's basically the Mariah Carey of korea, and yeah I'll totally check it out if you check out all the mamamoo songs in my bio!!!

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:56 Dec 16, 2020

girl- i’ve already listened to all mamamoo songs 👁👁 i used to ult them but the boy group stan in me came out 😔

Reply

. .
21:57 Dec 16, 2020

Ha GOOD I like the girl groups a little better cuz of their singing ability

Reply

Angelina Tran
21:58 Dec 16, 2020

i’m more attached to boy groups because personality means a lot to me :) and boy groups are really funny and comforting! girl group songs are SO good though, and i def prefer girl group visuals

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.