55 comments

Funny Inspirational Friendship

This story contains sensitive content

(TW: swearing, sassiness, and schadenfreude)

Friday

You read over the story one more time, checking for any rogue adverbs, split infinitives, comma splices, or anything that could violate the terms of service. 

Clock check: 10:59 PM

Crap. One more hour, and you blink rapidly at the cursor on the screen. Does this even fit the prompt for this week? 

Too late to change. 

You’ve never been one of those prodigies that could whip out a story in the same day like Last-Minute Lacey. While you spend all week shining that one thousand nine hundred forty-two word (thanks Scrivener) turd short story, the other writers cook a well-done steak in less than twenty-four hours.

Oh well. You’ve always been a medium-rare kind of person, anyway. And now you’re hungry.

[Submit to contest ($5)]

↚↛

Saturday

Argh. Prompts this week are NOT working for you. Surely, one of the five would have resonated with you, right? Well, time to do some “research” for that historical romance you’ve been wanting to unleash into the wild.

[Google] Imposter syndrome: loosely defined as doubting your abilities. Feeling like a fraud. Affects competitive high-achieving people who find it difficult to accept their accomplishments. Many question whether they’re deserving of accolades.

Mmmk. Let’s try a different approach. Maybe you need inspiration.

[Netflix] Your friends keep telling you to watch that new show Heartstopper. Is it bad that you never read the webcomic? What kind of writer doesn’t read? If the world expected us to read everything, we wouldn’t have TV. #amirite?

[iPhone] 11:37 PM. Crap.

↚↛

Sunday

Alright. Today’s the day. Going to pump out that avant-garde piece that the judges have never seen before.

The blinker greets you. Why does it have to pulse at you so perfectly? A silent metronome. A ticking time bomb.

You feel very attacked.

You sip on your homemade cafe latte (made of oatmilk, of course, because lactose intolerance is stupid) and it’s the jump start you need.

The words consume you. Immersed in a sea of characters as the story comes alive and words fill the page. Time passes you by as your fingers float over the keyboard.

Scientist Susan tells you that your brain experiences an increase in dopamine, the chemical involved in pleasure and motivation. Maybe this is why you enjoy writing so much, because humans are hard-wired to seek out behaviors that make us happy. Kind of like that tub of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream you finished last week.

[iPhone] 9:40 PM. “Hey Siri, add Chunky Monkey to the grocery list.”

↚↛

Monday

To: Wistful Writer <hopefulharry@internet.com>

From: prompts@reedsy.com

Date: Monday, 11:46 AM

Subject: Your submission was approved!

Cool. That piece of hot garbage story you submitted last week made it through the first gatekeeper. Memories of story dismissal by Policy Paul still haunt you. Now, it’s customary for you to add a ‘TW’ line in italics at the beginning of every story. You know, the customary ones: swearing, sassiness, and schadenfreude.

In the comments section of one of your stories, Competitive Cathy told you how to click on your genre tag to see if you made the ⭐️Recommended stories for the week. The coveted longlist. The Pulitzer Prize for starving writers.

[Click <insert your genre tag here reader>]

You scroll down the page. There’s Talented Tammy again, holding two of the three winning stories in this genre tag. You feel a burning sensation in your chest. According to Google, maybe it’s jealousy. Nah, Scientist Susan once told you it could be heartburn or a heart attack.

⭐️Recommended stories: and there it is. “<insert your story title here reader>” by Hopeful Harry.

Your heart races as you do a double-take. Clearly, you don’t belong on the longlist. The story you submitted an hour before the deadline? You call Scientist Susan and tell her about your story and your heart palpitations. She tells you to go to the emergency room because you’re having an arrhythmia.

You go to Walmart and buy a tub of Chunky Monkey ice cream instead.

↚↛

Tuesday

Stupid blinker waits for you as you stare at the computer screen. Each pulse constricts your chest tighter and tighter, like a vice grip clamping down on your heart. Who the heck said writing was fun again? You need to cut them out of your life like those carbs Dr. Dan told you about; too many fake carbs for a fake writer.

You refresh the Reedsy page, and your pulse quickens at the little yellow dot on the bell. You follow the yellow brick road leading to your notifications: a like here and a comment there.

But what catches your eye comes from Insider Isaac:

Harry, what a great story! This might be my favorite thing you’ve written so far. I was hooked from the first line. Not trying to jinx you, but this one will definitely make it past the Wednesday round of eliminations!

Wait, what’s so important about Wednesday?

↚↛

Wednesday

First round of revisions. Did a third grader write this? Your You’re pretty sure you don’t deserve to be nominated for the award this week. 

Annoyed by your daily dose of writer’s block (speaking of, can you go to the emergency room for that? Mental note: ask Dr. Dan), you head over to the Discord chat with your writerly pals. You always preferred procrastination to progress, anyway.

[Last-Minute Lacey]: omg I haven’t started on my story yet. It’s going to be awful

[Competitive Cathy]: whatever @Lacey. You say that every week and you’ve won twice. #sorrynotsorry

[Last-Minute Lacey]: eww. You’re messing with my feel good vibes. And why aren’t you picking on @Tammy? She’s got three wins and ten shortlists

[Talented Tammy]: don’t drag me into this. Besides, all eyes are on @Harry this week. He’s still on the recommended list!

[Hopeful Harry]: aww c’mon everyone. I’m sure I’ll be eliminated this week like every other week

[Insider Isaac]: well, you’re still on the rec list. If you make it through all the cuts by tomorrow, you’ve got a good shot this week!

[Scientist Susan]: based on my data from weekly extractions of the recommended stories, only 30% of longlisted writers proceed to Thursday

[Competitive Cathy]: I’m not recommended this week so #idgaf. But happy for @Harry!

[Last-Minute Lacey]: don’t lie, your pissed

[Talented Tammy]: @Lacey you’re*

[Last-Minute Lacey]: omg my vibes rn

You close the chat, muting the channel to whittle away at this week’s story. No point in ruminating on last week. There’s no way you will make it to tomorrow’s list.

Right?

[iPhone] 11:14 PM. You refresh the contest page and click <insert your genre tag here reader>. Your breath hitches as you close your eyes.

↚↛

Thursday

You slog through the workday, your wayward thoughts wandering to what you saw last night: still on the recommended stories list. Your lips press together as you process emails. Why are everyone’s words hitting you the wrong way today?

Per my last email… (in case you suddenly can’t read)

CC’ing Deb… (let’s see you lie your way out of this one)

Thanks for your feedback… (your criticism is irrelevant)

Friendly reminder… (you’re getting on my nerves, don’t do it again)

Let me know if you need further assistance… (figure it out your damn self)

Moving forward… (don’t try me)

I’m a little confused… (I’m absolutely raging)

Let me know if you need anything else… (please don’t contact me again)

…Kind regards (you’re dead to me)

You slam the laptop shut, waving the white flag to another unproductive day. The Discord chat is pinging on your phone, but you mute the server indefinitely. Trophies line the fireplace mantle behind you, reminding you of the things you are actually good at. 

But writing is different. Sure, the technical stuff like grammar and punctuation are black and white(ish), but everything else is subjective. Characters. Theme. Plot. How do you know one is better than another, week after week? How do you protect yourself from comparisonitis?

[iPhone] Reminder: Workout at 5:30 PM. You shuffle to the freezer, pulling out Chunky Monkey and refresh your Reedsy page, your brain drowning in dopamine when you see the little yellow dot on the bell icon.

A like and a comment from Scientist Susan:

Harry, looks like you’ve made it into the home stretch. According to my data, 50% of the writers who make it into Thursday night are eliminated by Friday morning. I’ll be monitoring the data closely and have a macro to refresh the Reedsy page every fifteen minutes.

And a reply from Last-Minute Lacey:

Fingers crossed Harry! One of us needs to make it this week.

You open your laptop again, this time pulling up your Scrivener file. One more night to make the finishing touches to your trash masterpiece. You’ve never been like Last-Minute Lacey, who can pump out award-winning stories in one day. Or Talented Tammy, whose writing drips of poetic wax (or was the phrase wax poetic?).

Lying in bed, you stare at the ceiling. Dr. Dan’s voice echoes through your mind, soft and soothing, with reminders to breathe deeply. 

Yet, you grip your phone, refreshing the page, and forget to exhale.

↚↛

Friday

TGIF. You navigate about the day as you always do, looking forward to a weekend respite. Sure, you’ll stress yourself out writing another story, but truth be told, you enjoy it. While others live one life, you experience many. A knight in shining armor one week, a World War soldier the next. And every once in a while, a sweet romance that gives you hope in humanity.

You’re in the middle of a Zoom call when it happens.

The phone bings with the following notification: Congratulations, you were shortlisted!🏅

You flip the webcam off (Deb’s talking and won’t care), pulling up the Reedsy page. And there it is. Your name and your story. The Discord chat explodes as your writerly friends congratulate you. Even Competitive Cathy gives you a “good job,” which, for her, is like moving mountains.

And then it hits you, in the darkest space of your consciousness. Sure, the external validation is nice. You’d be lying if you denied how much you enjoy riding that wave of dopamine right now. But never doubt your ability, nor your worthiness as a writer. Fantasy or Science Fiction, Historical or Memoir, it doesn’t matter. Because you write from the heart, and it’s the truest thing you know. And no one can ever take that away from you.

Clock check: 11:30 PM

You gaze at your story, and a smile tugs at your lips. You repeat the cycle, because that’s what us writers do. One word at a time, one story after the other. Some weeks, you’ll nail it, and others, you’ll feel like a fraud. Some people like their steak well-done when you serve them medium-rare. Perhaps that’s just the creative life, riding the ups and downs as you figure it all out.

You shove another spoonful of Chunky Monkey into your mouth as you pull out the type a memorized credit card number to pay the contest fee. Because the only way you get better, dear reader, is to write. Write until it becomes part of the texture of your life, something that you do without thinking, like breathing. 

And on those really dark days when you’re feeling like the only person dealing with writerly problems, crawl out of your cave and find your tribe. You know, friends like Talented Tammy, Scientist Susan, Last-Minute Lacey, Insider Isaac, and even Competitive Cathy. Because they will be waiting, ready to read your stories and cheer you on, and will send you right back into the cave when you need it. 

[Submit to contest ($5)]

May 22, 2022 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

55 comments

Chris Morris
22:28 May 28, 2022

You've probably written the most relatable story on Reedsy. If it was up to me, there would be an award just for that! Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:44 May 28, 2022

Appreciate that! It was fun to put all of this onto the page.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
22:00 May 24, 2022

I can't quite place my finger on it, but something about this story is very relatable. Perhaps "everything" :) A part of me hopes this wins, because then we could all tell the story of the story that was about winning the contest that won the contest, and it would be so delightfully meta. The writing itself is fun, with many lol moments. I particularly enjoyed the writer archetypes, the emails, and "poetic wax" :D On a more serious note, the ideas of coping with things like impostor syndrome and being able to accept that not all your wr...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
23:41 May 24, 2022

Hi there Michał, Thanks for reading the story and providing feedback! I had a lot of fun writing this story, and hopefully, it captures how us Reedsy writers go week after week crafting the stories from our hearts. Glad that the inspirational bits came through with the humor. Some of this is very non-fiction for me as a newer creative writer, but I think even more experienced creatives still have these thoughts and feelings from time to time. All we can do is keep at it and improve!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
02:07 May 23, 2022

My fave lines, aside from all of them: I’m a little confused… (I’m absolutely raging) Let me know if you need anything else… (please don’t contact me again) …Kind regards (you’re dead to me) These are my sentiments exactly in emails🤣🤣. This story is going to do well, I already know! Thanks for the laugh, and for seeing us!

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:19 May 23, 2022

Shea! Thanks so much for the compliment! The work emails seem to be the fan favorite at the moment. And trust me, if I sign an email with "kind regards," it's not good 😅 😂 🤣 I had so much fun writing this one. Glad you feel seen! Have a yellow dot of dopamine, friend!

Reply

Shea West
22:26 May 23, 2022

I also like : Best (Meaning, that's the best you can get from me today.) Warm Regards (You're not dead yet, but I wish you were) Anyways (Meaning, you can eff right off!)

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:29 May 23, 2022

oooh, when someone finishes an email to me with "Best," it's time to cut someone.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
01:59 May 23, 2022

Okay, I'll say it. Between this story and "Fragments of Spencer," if you don't pick up an accolade, I'm seriously gonna beat someone up. Side note: OMG, a second Funny tagged story from you! Christmas came quick this year. 😜 Double side note: #10pointstoRavenclaw for that Laganja reference. This whole story honestly feels like you followed me around for a week and took notes about my relationship with this site. Everything from the imposter syndrome to the comparisonitis to the Chunky Monkey. I feel seen. Seriously, this is totally indic...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:26 May 23, 2022

Zaddy! My pen pal extraordinaire! So happy to see you at the hermit's hut. Appreciate the compliments. And yes, somehow the weather warmed up in Michigan THEN went cold again, so Christmas definitely came early. Hence, a comedy story. You are most welcome. I feel most of us Reedsy writers have bits and pieces of all the characters, maybe some more dominant than others. I have a feeling you might be secretly competitive, so Cathy suits you just fine (and if you are, Ri Ri has also admitted this, further supporting you two are kindred spirit...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riel Rosehill
12:23 May 23, 2022

The Insider Isaac's comment could be Zaddy's - the voice is on point! If you tell me he wasn't the inspiration behind the stand out comment, I won't believe it! Also, I can relate so much to everyone (Maybe except Susan or Tammy, LOL) I'm last minute, hopeful (or desperate) and secretly competitive 🤣 And this is very much how I'd sum up my week, so although I've been eating Magnums, not Ben & Jerry's, this might just be the most relatable story I've ever read. I feel seen (and called out 🤣) One of my favourite parts was the work emails. ...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:15 May 23, 2022

Ri Ri~ Busted. Isaac was definitely inspired by a certain positive person (cough: Zaddy) who always leaves such wholesome comments on EVERYONE'S stories. How someone can be so positive and uplifting, I will never know! But so glad for all the Isaac's out there. Can I get an Amen? I have a feeling every Reedsy writer has a little bit of everyone at some point. I've definitely noticed my chocolate consumption go up since writing on Reedsy 😆 😅 😂 Seriously, when I read work emails, that's what goes through my mind. And yes, I am guilty of dis...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brett West
17:16 Jun 09, 2022

I am new to Reedsy, but happened to be browsing and found your story. As others have said it is an enjoyable read most writers can relate to. Also provided many laughs. Doesn't each day sound like familiar ones to writers? Anyway, glad I discovered it.

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:40 Jun 09, 2022

Hi there Brett! Welcome to Reedsy. It's a really nice community, so make yourself at home! Appreciate the feedback, and I'm looking forward to checking out your work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
17:57 Jun 05, 2022

This may be the first story of yours I’ve read (?) and I believe it should be required reading for every new Reedsy member lol! The honesty, the realism, the conflicting feelings of stress and joy and jealousy and pride that grip you each week—you nailed all of it. And it’s all so true—releasing your writing for the world feels SO vulnerable, like being spontaneously asked to sing an A cappella Christmas carol in front of 50 strangers… and it’s so hard to see our own work objectively, that validation becomes almost as important as oxygen. ...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
01:21 Jun 06, 2022

Hello Aeris! Thanks for stopping by to give my story a read and comment. Always appreciate the feedback from fellow writers. Although, for me it is a tossup between releasing my own writing and singing a capella in front of strangers... my introverted self will stay anonymous behind the page! Looking forward to reading some of your work!

Reply

Aeris Walker
08:12 Jun 06, 2022

I agree—I’ll take the writing ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jared Lenover
13:32 Jun 05, 2022

Is the Discord you talk about real? Can anyone join? 😜

Reply

J.C. Lovero
13:46 Jun 05, 2022

Yes, it's real! Head over to www.readlotswritelots.com for more info! It's very welcoming.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alex Sultan
04:06 Jun 02, 2022

J.C, what a great story! This might be my favorite thing you’ve written so far. I was hooked from the first line. Not trying to jinx you, but this one will definitely make it past the Wednesday round of eliminations! -I might be a bit late for this comment. I thought the story was great tho. The judges have missed out. It was really fun to read - you wrote a story that everybody can relate to in some way or the other. Probably the most relateable story I've read on here 😅 It's crazy how accruate this all is. I liked the email part a lot, a...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
09:38 Jun 02, 2022

Hi there Alex! Wow, I'm flattered this is your favorite story of mine. Such high praise coming from you - very much appreciated. LOL - you are a bit late for the joke, but I forgive you 😁 😆 😅 I'm cheering for your story in the upcoming contest. As always, your latest story was stellar.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
15:55 Jun 01, 2022

This was my first story of yours and I loved it- such good fun. I especially loved how you created the subconscious with the strikeout: very clever. The other thing I really liked was that, just as with a week in Reedsy, this was like the whole experience in story microcosm; I was compelled to the end- as I have been for the couple of weeks I have taken part now- compulsively checking every day to see progress. I was absolutely hooked as to whether your narrator was going to get shortlisted, win...; and then of course, just as in real life- ...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:38 Jun 01, 2022

Hi Rebecca, Glad you enjoyed the story! It's nice for us to bond over our shared angst, right? 😆 😅 😂 An Insider Isaac once pointed out to me in the comments section that if you click on the genre tags of your story, it will pull up that genre's page on the website. The winning stories from past contests are at the top, and when you scroll down, there is a section for "Recommended stories." Here, you will see Shortlisted stories from previous contests AND any stories from the current contest that made the "longlist." Competitive Cathy's m...

Reply

Rebecca Miles
04:27 Jun 02, 2022

A-ha! Thanks ever so for pointing that out! And I love it, bonding over angst; I'm a teacher and have just seen my students through their oral exams and that could be the tagline for the whole experience. My book is figuratively sitting on the shelf gathering dust; one rejection in and I've run to the comforting arms of Reedsy!! I've a feeling you might have a book ( or two) up your sleeve 😉😊

Reply

J.C. Lovero
09:30 Jun 02, 2022

I do! Rough draft of my manuscript is done and it's going through some revisions right now. Fairytale retelling MM fantasy romance 😍 🥰

Reply

Rebecca Miles
09:50 Jun 02, 2022

I have just seen my story has slipped- in the historical fiction genre tag- down from recommended to just being under "all stories". Ahhh noooo! Advice from an old- hand like you- please! What do I do? (As a teacher, ask all my students to read and bump up the likes before Friday???)I have a feeling the answer may be as you relate in your story: just keep writing more!!!!!

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:52 Jun 02, 2022

Hi Rebecca, Well, I wouldn't consider myself the expert on the topic, but if we keep writing from the heart, everything else will sort itself out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sharon Hancock
02:13 Jun 01, 2022

Haaahaaa! Hilarious! It’s like we’re living the same life or something. 😂 “I’m feeling very attacked right now!” 😂😂 “Sure, you’ll stress yourself out writing another story, but truth be told, you enjoy it. While others live one life, you experience many. “ Yep! it’s like magic how a story takes shape (magic and sweat and stress and chunky monkey😂). I truly enjoy your stories so much. Thanks for this one!😻

Reply

J.C. Lovero
03:46 Jun 01, 2022

Hi Sharon! So nice of you to stop by. Here's a yellow dot coming your way 😆 😅 😂 I had a feeling you would enjoy the Laganja reference. I thought of you when I wrote it in! It's amazing how we power through, week after week, spinning stunning stories to share with the world, isn't it? So glad to have met you on here! I also need to check out your story. I'm so behind on my reading list!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:50 May 31, 2022

J.C., your mysterious word drove me crazy today, so I looked it up. The English equivalent for "schadenfreude" is "epicaricacy," the pleasure derived from another's person's misfortune." I was way off with my guesses. Schandenfreude is an pertinent warning for your story indeed ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:46 May 31, 2022

J.C, I am not familiar with your work - more familiar with your comments on stories. Excellent, btw. The title of your story sounded intriguing, though, so I decided to read it. I got a bit derailed by the terms "schadenfreude," "split infinitives" and "comma splices." The last two I can easily look up (I should know them, anyway, since I'm aspiring writer - I'm quite embarrassed I don't know what they are, so good for you to nudge us into improving our vocabulary and grammar). But the German term should remain a mystery. [I think "freu...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
03:55 Jun 01, 2022

Hi there Gabriela! Nice to meet you. You're the first person to tell me you know me by my comments. Though I'm flattered, I don't find them particularly striking, but I appreciate the compliment! Quick craft tip: if you haven't, consider investing in "The Emotion Thesaurus." That book is always with me, and I refer to it with every story I write. One of the chapters is "schadenfreude." Though I don't know German myself, I was familiar with the term, and this book gives you a nice definition: "malicious enjoyment from the suffering or unhap...

Reply

00:15 Jun 02, 2022

Hey J.C! :) Guess what? I got "The Emotion Thesaurus" and my copy doesn't have the "Schadenfreude" chapter. The authors are Angela Ackerman & Becca Puglisi. First print edition, May 2012. It has all the human emotions you can think of, but not schadenfreude! Disappointing ;( Anyway, I looked up "comma splices" and "split infinitives." Now I know what they are. Thank you for mentioning them ;) Interestingly enough, I I haven't been guilty of using them. I am not AWARE of using them, precisely. A sentence that has them just doesn't SOUND r...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
00:25 Jun 02, 2022

Hi Gabriela, Oh no! So sorry to hear that. The copy I have is the second edition 2019. I wonder if that was an addition? 🤔 I'm also self-teaching myself as I go on this creative writing journey. Lots of craft and marketing books in my library are yet to be cracked! But, it's all part of the learning. Congrats on learning those new terms!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
11:04 May 31, 2022

Tag this 💯 Nonfiction 🏆 Effortlessly charming from the first relatable rant. Fav lines: “Because you write from the heart, and it’s the truest thing you know. And no one can ever take that away from you.” 🙏🏻 Pure love right there….

Reply

J.C. Lovero
12:01 May 31, 2022

Thanks Deidra! Was a blast to write out all the archetypes 😆 😅 😂 Appreciate you stopping by for a read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
06:52 May 29, 2022

Oh my gosh! I found this story incredibly intriguing. It’s clear you know a lot about the internal workings of Reedsey. I really enjoyed how you added details that your reader could use to personalize the story and make it their own. I also loved the mirroring that you added because I am a sucker for that technique. I think you did an incredible job of putting into words this huge journey we go through each week. Nice work!

Reply

J.C. Lovero
10:31 May 29, 2022

Hi Amanda, Glad you enjoyed the story! It was fun to write. Happy to put a slice of our shared Reedsy angst onto the page 😅 😂 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jay McKenzie
06:35 May 29, 2022

J.C! This is a triumph! Haha, so funny and on point. As many have said, so relatable. I imagine we're all puzzling over which character we are now (a Hopeful-Last Minuter here I think!) I love the second person POV which is perfect for this. I love the blinking cursor, the work emails section and the Chunky Monkey - almost a character in itself. This is so very satisfying in every way. Feels like a winner to me.

Reply

J.C. Lovero
10:33 May 29, 2022

Hello Jay! Appreciate the read and the positive comments. A lot of people have had fun picking their own characters and making mashups! I try not to be a Last-Minute Lacey because it stresses me out, but I've got some tendencies for sure! Chunky Monkey is most definitely a character in my heart (and my stomach) 😋 😛 😝

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
19:35 May 25, 2022

“The blinker greets you. Why does it have to pulse at you so perfectly? A silent metronome. A ticking time bomb. You feel very attacked.” - Yes!! This is the first story of yours I have read and I love it! Hilarious and scary accurate! Now I want ice cream.

Reply

J.C. Lovero
00:10 May 26, 2022

Hi Bradon, Thanks for taking the time to read and leave a comment! I really appreciate it. Pesky blinker... why does it have to be so perfect and consistent when it stares at you? I've seen your name floating around here. I'll be sure to check out your latest story, too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
05:06 May 25, 2022

Love this, what a perfect description of the rollercoaster of self-doubt and hope and potential disappointment or validation each contest brings! And of course the connection with other writers, really that is the best part of it all. Though every time I enter by the end of the week I tell myself I'm never doing it again and will find more productive ways to spend my free time, such as organizing my draws. Really like the positive and inspiring note you finished on too. "Because you write from the heart, and it’s the truest thing you know...

Reply

J.C. Lovero
00:12 May 26, 2022

Hi Kelsey! It really is a rollercoaster, isn't it? The connections I've made with other writers since joining Reedsy have been the best part about participating in the contest every week. There is so much talent here, and it's nice to find other creatives trying to do the same thing! Such a great support network we have here. Thanks so much for reading and leaving a comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
05:50 May 24, 2022

J.C. You hit all the right notes, once again😁 And double kudos to you, coz it's in funny genre. Every Reedsy writer can relate to the characters, mood swings and yes, of course the yellow dot 😂 that you have spun into this. Sending a string of incoming yellow dots your way! Great job👏

Reply

J.C. Lovero
11:01 May 24, 2022

Hi Suma! Thanks for your feedback and the compliments. Comedy is outside of my comfort zone (as I usually stick to romance, fantasy, and sci-fi), so I am glad the story resonated with you. Here's a yellow dot coming back to you 😆 😅 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
15:13 May 23, 2022

Stories like this are always a good laugh<3

Reply

J.C. Lovero
22:09 May 23, 2022

So glad you enjoyed it! I had a blast writing it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.