149 comments

Romance Sad Contemporary

Sticky notes littered his bedroom wall. Yellow, green, blue, and the hot pink that used to be yours. He kept a pen in his pocket, a black ball point, and a notepad in the other one. 

He forgot a lot of things.

Simple things, like what he ate for breakfast, and important things too, like doctor appointments.

He remembered the day you two met though.

One of the only long-term things he remembered.

He didn’t remember what you were wearing or the place, but he remembered the feelings. The scramble of getting your number on his phone because he was afraid that if he wrote it in his notepad, he’d forget about it until next year.

You had laughed at his haste, but complied, writing in Someone for the name.

He texted you to make sure it was right, and you parted ways soon after. 

He never changed your contact name. 

He forgot to turn his alarm on that night, forgot to feed his tiny fish, forgot to take out the trash.

But he remembered to text you good night.

Your love was fast. 

He didn’t forget you.

Sometimes he’d forget why he was feeling so giddy, why his heartbeat was acting up. But then he’d look down and see he was talking with you.

You were always patient with him. Always.

Sometimes you’d ask him a question and he’d blank out and ask you to say it again. You knew the whole conversation was out of his head by then. He’d write down his favorite parts though.

You moved from texting to calling in summer. He’d put you on speaker and sit low on his couch, writing down the important things, things you might bring up later.

You moved to facetime in the fall. He sat in the seat in front of his window, the orange and red leaves serving as a beautiful background. He didn’t want you to see his sticky notes, and they were everywhere else. 

In the winter, you started seeing more face to face. In coffee shops, bookstores, libraries, wherever you could meet. Before you’d part, he’d read you a poem he’d written every single time. You’d touch foreheads and then leave. It was a sweet little routine.

His memory grew worse. He forgot to eat sometimes, set on the fact that he must’ve eaten earlier. Even when he remembered, his fridge was mostly empty, since he forgot to shop for groceries. 

You moved in when sweater weather was over.  You didn’t have much. Two boxes filled with clothes, and one with your other things, like your lotion collection and stationary. You didn’t have to go out to meet each other anymore, you were in the same house.

He often sat cross-legged on the couch, with a blank expression, and you’d join him, laying your head on his shoulder.

About the sticky notes, you said nothing, only sometimes you added on. You added ‘I love you’ and ‘Smile’ amongst the ‘Brush your teeth’ and ‘Feed the fish’.

When he ran out of poems, you’d tell him ideas of what you could do together. 

You tried hiking together, but he tripped on a rock, earning a scar running along his arm. 

You had blown on it, kissed it ever so softly, your eyes clouding with worry. He didn’t like blood, didn’t like the way it dripped bright red against his pale skin. 

He only wore long-sleeved sweaters after that. Rarely let you drag him out. The only times he did was to see you smile. To watch your dimples come and go.

You loved getting ready, wearing fancy clothes, and painting your makeup like a masterpiece.  You had only come with two boxes but by that summer you had over a closet-full of clothes. 

He forgot to rinse his plate, forgot to brush his teeth, forgot to buy new glasses, but he remembered what you liked, remembered to get you something if he was ever out alone.

You memorized his face, every freckle, every crease. He memorized your laugh and your soft touch.

The scar stayed, a red line reminding him not to go out. One of the only things he didn’t really need reminding on.

If he was feeling okay, then you would spend the day talking. About everything and nothing, and all the in betweens. About politics and animals and sometimes the sticky notes. 

While you spoke, he didn’t keep the notepad near him. He started to be afraid to lose the authenticity of just hearing your voice. If he wrote it down, he would miss the light in your eyes and smirk in your smile.

He bought the ring very suddenly. It was early morning, and you were still asleep, tangled in the covers. The night before had been a talking night. His hair was starting to grow long, and you told him to cut it. He had put it in a ponytail and said he liked it that way, though you probably still remember. 

Deep down, he does too.

The ring was simple, in case he would forget where he put it and lose it.

You always loved christmas. Green and red were your favorite colors at the time. Weeks earlier, you had bought a tree and ornaments. An angel for the top.

The first time he asked it was morning. The golden light was still barely peeking in through the white curtains, the birds were still stretching. He had grabbed your hand as you poured your bitter coffee and slipped the ring on your finger. He was short for words so you kissed him instead, the taste of mint evident because he finally remembered to brush his teeth. 

You were going to go and see the big tree in the city. It was only out the 24th and 25th and you wanted to go both days. It was the one time you didn’t need to persuade him. 

You took the ring off to shower. 

After you were almost ready, you saw him with the ring in his hand, a blank expression that you knew so well plain on his face.

He actually asked that time, his words tumbling out in a jumbled mess. Nothing like the poet he was. 

The third time was the worst. He had stopped you as you were walking, getting ready to ice skate. He looked sad, and his pale skin was paler than usual. You had caressed his cheek and pressed foreheads like you used to and you continued to pick up your skates. 

The fourth time was on the ice. You were the one who fell for once, and as he caught you, he whispered the question in your ear. It was the most romantic one in your eyes. You wished it wasn’t ruined by your brain yelling at you that he was sick. That he probably wouldn’t remember later, that he might just forget you later. 

The fifth time was when you were back at home, untangling your hair from the unnecessary amount of bobby pins it had suffered through. You had cried softly into your pillow that night. 

It was supposed to be perfect, but life disagreed. He had apologized in the morning, and when you tried to wave it off, he told you he heard you crying. Half of his sticky note wall came down that day. 

He was so tired of forgetting.

He wanted to love you with all his heart, mind, and soul, but he was busy trying to make sure to keep himself alive.

And his fish.

But it was both of your fish then, and you made sure to remind him it was okay, that you still loved him. 

The bad days were still there. 

But so were the good days.

So were the good days.

December 26, 2020 03:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

149 comments

Sia S
06:39 Dec 26, 2020

Wow... this was..... I came say exactly what it was, but I just loved it! My new fav. Story on here ;) The way you write it was magical. Please do more like this. Titles.... The ring I hope... Our fish Pale skin These are kinda lame 😬

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:16 Dec 26, 2020

Ahhhh, favorite??? Thank you so much Sia, this means SO much to me! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I hope and our fish have nice rings to it, but I think I like sticky notes. Please don't leave???

Reply

Sia S
17:31 Dec 26, 2020

Yess! ;) That's fine! :) Idk.... probably ill leave

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:05 Sep 04, 2023

Aww. That's so sad, so sweet, so beautiful. That story really did something to me. The viewpoint was perfect. The writing was perfect. It was all perfect. It's going on to my favourite stories list (I'll fit it somehow) :)

Reply

Amany Sayed
16:35 Sep 04, 2023

Thank you so much! It really means a lot <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:40 Mar 09, 2021

Oh my gosh I know I commented here ages ago but I keep coming back to this story! This is the first Reedsy story that’s made me cry a bit, you took the emotion to another level

Reply

Amany Sayed
15:18 Mar 11, 2021

Awww, Imaan, thank you so much!

Reply

20:50 Mar 11, 2021

Of course! Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
15:25 Mar 11, 2021

And I've also been meaning to ask--Have any advice for writing old-timey royalty stories? You ARE the master :) (TGWAN forever lives in my heart)

Reply

20:54 Mar 11, 2021

Aw thanks so much that means a lot that you enjoyed it! I loved writing it too :) Hmm I did a lot of research while writing it, about what times were like in London during the 1800s. I knew about the Napoleanic Wars and The Battle of Waterloo, and to me, that was a really interesting point in history so I wanted to include that. I also read many books that were set during that time period, particularly authors like Jane Austen, of course. Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey were both set during almost the exact time periods I was going...

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:44 Mar 12, 2021

This is really helpful thanks!

Reply

05:10 Mar 12, 2021

Yeah of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Jubilee Forbess
13:50 Jan 25, 2021

Hi! This is awesome. May I just say, your writing has improved so much since you first started Reedsy and I love that! I remember going through stories and telling people like, "Oh, fix this, don't do that," but now? All I can say is I'm glad I was one of the first people to read your stories because this was a hit to a place in my heart held to standards previously met by folks like Sarah Dessen, queen of weepy sweet romances like this one. Because I adore writing in second person, let me tell you that this perspective meant so much to the ...

Reply

Amany Sayed
14:55 Jan 25, 2021

Thank you so much Rhonda! I mean it! Awwwwww, this means a lot to me, thank you <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tessa Takzikab
23:37 Jan 24, 2021

It's so sweet and so sad. I think it's perfect the way you have a third party narrator speaking. It's got the perfect feel for this type of story. Nice work.

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:48 Jan 24, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Atihsid Goel
04:06 Jan 13, 2021

its an absolute pleasure to be able to read something so beautiful <3

Reply

Amany Sayed
04:20 Jan 13, 2021

Aw, thank you! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
23:19 Jan 12, 2021

i feel like im rubbing salt in the wound when I say this, so forgive me if i am, but I'm so sad you're off the top ten :( you were 6 when i first came on here and the first accounts i looked at/story i read was yours. You've seriously been such an inspiration to meeee <333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
05:35 Jan 12, 2021

Lovely bio! <3

Reply

Amany Sayed
19:06 Jan 12, 2021

thanks <3

Reply

Sia S
02:31 Jan 13, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
19:14 Jan 10, 2021

new story out, feel free to check it out whenever you want :) leave some feedback too! Thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Moyin Ojo
17:53 Jan 07, 2021

This is so amazing! I’d read this as a novella anytime any day.

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:08 Jan 07, 2021

thanks so much! means a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
13:19 Jan 07, 2021

Great story. I agree it would be good as a novella. I'd like to see some dialogue between the two lovers also. A novella would allow that.

Reply

Amany Sayed
22:08 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you so much! I'll take that to heart!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:07 Jan 03, 2021

Hey this is your 125th comment on this absolutely beautiful story. I loved it so much, you took the emotion to another level. I loved the symbolism of something lime sticky notes, how you made something so ordinary and everyday become indispensable. I haven’t read many of your stories—to tell the truth this is the first one I’ve read—but I can see that you’re so so talented, and you deserve every single one of those karma points. Well done!

Reply

Amany Sayed
18:41 Jan 03, 2021

Thank you so much Imaan! Aw, I'm glad you think so.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:30 Jan 02, 2021

Ah, what a beautiful bio (lol).

Reply

Show 0 replies
Avani G
19:47 Jan 01, 2021

Wow! What a great story! Possibly one of my favorites I've read of yours so far. Happy 2021! Just saw your blog post on Amany's Blog. I completely agree. ☺️

Reply

Amany Sayed
20:46 Jan 01, 2021

Thank you so much! You too! Did you vote? I really need a tie breaker lol.

Reply

Avani G
21:01 Jan 01, 2021

Yes, I did vote. Unfortunately, that didn't do much; four ideas are tied :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
18:09 Jan 01, 2021

ahhh the template is so cute! on your blog!

Reply

Show 0 replies
E. Jude
11:22 Jan 01, 2021

Hi A.! I really liked this story it was so simple and wholesome, and your talent really shines. I had to smile while reading this. If you wouldn't mind could you check out one of my stories, take your pick! E.

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:47 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you! Yay, glad I could do that for you :D Of course, I've read some before, love your writing style!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Elise Volkman
17:48 Dec 31, 2020

The choice to write this story in second person is so, so effective. I needed a good solid tear-jerker this week - thanks for sharing this story! I'll go sob in a corner now about how beautiful and wonderful and sad this story is. P.S.: I love the title 'sticky notes'

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:49 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you so much! Aw, I'll take that as a compliment. yay, thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:11 Dec 30, 2020

I loved this to a point that I didn't expect to love. Unexpected use of the prompt but so, so sweet without being saccharine. This felt so real, as how someone tries to love no matter what the odds, because they RECOGNIZE the love, and that makes the love stronger. Oh my, how dare you make me cry in public, I would sue you if I didn't want to read more. ;) Congratulations, and I will certainly read more of your work.

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:12 Dec 31, 2020

Aww, thank you so much! Awww, thank you so much I'm blushing!Yay, I look forward to your feedback in the furute :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ru .
23:54 Dec 29, 2020

I love it. Maybe I haven't said it loudly enough, so here. I love it. I won't sugarcoat anything and say it's perfect (the best things aren't ;) but this is so lovely. So. Lovely. The details, the feelings. Like drinking-hot-cocoa-in-a-baggy-sweater-and-the-steam-pressing-into-your-face lovely. You. will. go. places. I'm sure!

Reply

Amany Sayed
00:16 Dec 30, 2020

Ru, oh my gosh, it is DEFINITELY loud enough. Thank you thank you thank you, this warmed my heart and gave me so much motivation. I'm really flattered. Thank you so much for taking the time to read. Of course, perfect isn't real anyway ;) Thanks again.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Candela B
23:36 Dec 29, 2020

Okay, this was such a creative and heartbreaking interpretation of the prompt. It genuinely moved me. Amazing job!

Reply

Amany Sayed
23:38 Dec 29, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.