198 comments

Drama

Vera lay still in bed, listening to the wind howl and the waves crash onto the small island. A silent tear rolled down her cheek, for today was the day she would have to kill Matthew. She didn't want to do it, she didn't even know for sure if she COULD do it, but she had to.

She glanced down at a small slip of paper in her hand, and whispered to herself the familiar, menacing words as she had every day for the past year.

"Six go out.

Five come in.

One will lose

The rest will win.

Two elders,

Two youths.

Two killers

Only one will stay true.

For of the killers

Just one will remain.

The other is forgotten

Lost forever in pain."

Vera pondered these words for the 365th time, but tonight was the first night she really understood them. These were words that fueled her and drained her, and had done so for the past year. She began to figure things out in her head. The elders were Mr. and Mrs. Huckleberry, who were each about 90 years old and were the kind of people who look down upon small children with a fond smile on their face. The youths were Jenny and Joey, who were practically small clumps of energy that ran around the island the whole day long, fighting and playing with each other.

Vera and Matthew were the killers. They were the only ones on this island that could feel real pain and hatred, which was why they were the ones who had to kill the other. Only five people could fit on the ship that was coming, so someone had to go. That someone, as Vera had decided long ago, was Matthew.

There was one main problem. Being isolated on an island or any other dangerous, desolate place that requires teamwork and compliance can sometimes weaken relationships, and can sometimes strengthen them. The whole reason the group was sent to the island was an experiment for the government, they were like guinea pigs trapped in a small cage, or in this case, the island.

In this case, the group's relationships were severely strengthened, and this group of what were once strangers were now as close as family. Which was why it was so hard for Vera to betray someone she had grown to love over the past year. But she had to. Otherwise, she would never make it back to the rest of humanity, her life would not be worth living. "Best to get done with it" she murmured. She pulled on a sweatshirt and stepped out of the small house.

She crept down the sandy shore of the island, holding a long, thin dagger in her trembling hand. Her bare feet made no sound as she moved towards Matthew's hut. She pulled up the curtain of reeds and stood over Matthew's sleeping body. She raised the dagger above his head, and began to bring it down. She stopped. She couldn't do it, it was like killing a brother. She walked back to her own hut, her emotions battling with reality.

She had to kill him or she'd never get off the island, but she couldn't kill a friend. That was her major flaw, doing the right thing rather than the logical thing.

Vera sighed and tried to get back to sleep. Even though it was bright out, it was still early, 4 or 5 o'clock maybe. She listened to the hollow wind and the crying birds for a while, then drifted off into sleep.

Vera awoke to a figure looming over her, a familiar figure. "Matthew" she whispered. "Vera" he whispered back. There followed a long moment of silence while both stared deeply into each other's eyes wet eyes.

"I know why you've come."

"You were at my place. I should be dead right now."

"I couldn't do it."

Matthew said nothing

"Matthew, just-" Vera choked on her tears.

"I have to do it, Vera".

"I know."

"I'll do it now, I'll get it over with."

"Yes. Please do."

"Sleep well, my dear".

Matthew pulled out a dagger, identical to Vera's, and stared at it for a moment. Then he closed his eyes and stabbed it into her heart, as she gazed up at him. He dropped the dagger and opened his eyes to Vera's dying body. Weeping, he picked her up and held her lifeless corpse in his bare hands. Everything that had happened between the two of them the last year had come to this. Now it was over.

As Matthew discovered, when a group suffers a loss, everyone acts the same, forlorn and quiet. Even the youths, Jenny and Joey, seemed to be gloomy and were not their energetic selves, even though they had no idea what was going on. As they prepared for the next day, they barely talked. The liveliness of the small group and the island had been replaced by tensity and worry.

Matthew felt as if everyone was against him. He moped around all day in a bubble of misery, wishing he had gone rather than Vera. In a way this was selfish, for Vera was in no way suffering, quite unlike her dear Matthew. He stumbled about the island trying to be helpful and doing chores, never forgetting his lost love.

As night fell he dug the grave and placed Vera's cold mass inside the dark pit. He covered it with a thick layer of dirt, then placed wild flowers and vines on it. He carved a simple gravestone with his dagger, the same one he used to kill his loved one.

Here lies Vera Woodshow

2106-2129

Much loved, Much pained

Rest In Peace

Matthew stared at the grave for a few minutes, then turned away and walked back to his hut.

The ship sailed in from the East, with a silhouette outlined by the rising sun of pinks and oranges. The reeds brushed softly against themselves, and as the five survivors boarded the ship, the wind seemed to sing a sad song, a song of remorse, a song of despair.

November 13, 2020 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

198 comments

Wolfy 🐺
21:02 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you! :)))))

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
14:09 Nov 18, 2020

OMGGGG AINEEEE YOU'RE GETTING FAMOUSSSSS CAN I EVEN TALK TO YOU ANYMOREEEEE? Lol

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:06 Nov 18, 2020

What? Of course! I'll always be ur friend :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
15:16 Nov 18, 2020

Thank you! :) Lol, but how do you feellll? You're getting famousss!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:24 Nov 18, 2020

I'm not! I follow lot's of ppl, that's all, because I like to support the reedsy community and have no idea how to do it otherwise. Hey, you are awesome!!! 🀟😁 πŸ€œπŸ€›

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
15:27 Nov 18, 2020

Yeah, but look how many followers you have! You ARE famousss! :) And you're nice too. Thank youuuuuu. See? You're nice and famous!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:32 Nov 18, 2020

So are you! ^_^ AND you've been here for longer, AND ur super nice, AND ur famous! ❀️

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
13:26 Nov 18, 2020

Wow! I really thought Vera was going to stab Matthew. I didn't expect it to go the other way round! I like the way you showed their characters through their actions instead of telling it. The concept of your story was intriguing and I enjoyed it. Great job!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:29 Nov 18, 2020

thank you so much! :>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
10:49 Aug 07, 2022

HI

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
20:05 Nov 28, 2021

hewo there :D thanks for the likes lol nice name and pfp btw :DDD

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
20:09 Nov 28, 2021

aaah np you write so welll :))) thx lol, you too!

Reply

TJ Squared
20:10 Nov 28, 2021

:DDDD lol nice meeting you ^u^ (i use that emoticon a lot too lol)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
20:12 Nov 28, 2021

nice to meet you too! :D yess emoticons and emojis are my life lolo

Reply

TJ Squared
20:13 Nov 28, 2021

:DDDD lololol what time is it for you?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:03 Nov 28, 2021

About 4 pm here

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
20:04 Dec 05, 2021

sameeeeeeeeee I love winter-time lol

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:05 Dec 06, 2021

yess the cold gives me e n e r g y :P

Reply

TJ Squared
22:58 Dec 06, 2021

Yeshhhhhhhhhh and da snow, *chef’s kiss* it’s awesomeeeeee

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
20:55 Dec 07, 2021

Yasss snoww ❄️ :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
20:45 Nov 16, 2021

Heeeey!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:12 Nov 16, 2021

Hallooooo!

Reply

17:36 Nov 18, 2021

How are you? Glad you're back!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:50 Nov 18, 2021

Im good! How are you?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:56 Nov 19, 2021

ps: I love your profile name xD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Dhwani Jain
12:39 Nov 15, 2021

Hello all! https://wp.me/pd3y1A-fD Please check out my latest post, THE VIRUS, YOU AND ME, a podcast. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did writing it! Dhwani Jain Dream DJ {https://djdhwanijain.wordpress.com/}

Reply

Show 0 replies

Wow, this story... I'm not even sure where to begin. It made me feel like I was right there, watching the characters kill each other, watching it unfold, begging them not to kill each other... This is amazing! Keep writing!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
20:41 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

πŸ˜„

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassandra Dennis
19:47 Dec 12, 2020

Wow, the simplicity of the story, yet the complexity of Vera and Matthew drew me in to their cause and pain. Very well written.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:32 Dec 14, 2020

:) Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amy Darst
19:22 Dec 07, 2020

Great story! Thanks for the follow!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:39 Dec 08, 2020

Thank you! np!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wolfy 🐺
16:17 Dec 04, 2020

Oki!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:41 Nov 27, 2020

Didn't expect that twist! Great work!! :) P.S. Your story reminded me of Agatha Christie's "And then there were none", where slowly one by one drops dead. Have you read it?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:01 Nov 29, 2020

Thank you! :3 P.S: Not yet, though I've heard of it! My friends have made references and the such.

Reply

13:46 Nov 30, 2020

Oh! Okayyy... If you are a fan of mystery novels, then you can give it a read when you are free..It's really good! :)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:15 Nov 30, 2020

Ok! sounds good ;)

Reply

07:25 Dec 07, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Echo Sundar
18:34 Nov 23, 2020

This story was amazing! I like how even though the ship coming was probably exciting the death dimmed the mood like it should have. Great read!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:49 Nov 23, 2020

thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Antonio Jimenez
06:01 Nov 23, 2020

Awesome story! One thing to change: the scene where Vera almost kills Matthew should have been more drawn out. It was really quick with little detail. Other than that, great story. Would love for you to check out my newest story. I definitely need the help.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:37 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you for the advice, I agree looking back on that now. I'll check out ur story right now!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

"There was one main problem. Being isolated on an island or any other dangerous, desolate place that requires teamwork and compliance can sometimes weaken relationships, and can sometimes strengthen them." What an amazing story. It was very intriguing right off the first sentence and was fast-paced and exciting all the way through. I really like the concept and the plot twist was very well written. You should be proud this story was great! ~Alainna

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:04 Nov 19, 2020

Thank you! ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cal Carson
23:00 Nov 18, 2020

Hi, feel free to ignore me, I'm bored and have nothing to do. :) First off, gotta say that I love the descriptions, especially in the last paragraph. However, there were a couple things I felt were missing from this story. (mind you, it was very good, just some things to help it improve.) I think it would have benefited from a couple of memories/ flashbacks/ backstories to build up Matthew and Vera's relationship. What made their love so special? What was it like through that year on the island? This gives it a bit more depth and...

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
23:55 Nov 18, 2020

Of course I won't ignore you, silly :) I agree that it would prob. be better with more background (I see that now after the fact of course). I might do a part two or a backstory just as soon as there is a suitable prompt :>

Reply

Cal Carson
01:28 Nov 19, 2020

Cool, let me know if/when it comes out!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:26 Nov 19, 2020

Sure- it may not be for a while though

Reply

Cal Carson
18:19 Nov 19, 2020

Yeah, that's no problem!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:53 Nov 19, 2020

:3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Emmanuel Olaleye
15:03 Nov 18, 2020

A strange twist to the story here... It's sad Vera had to die that way. This was a good story. I enjoyed it.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:09 Nov 18, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Emmanuel Olaleye
15:10 Nov 18, 2020

It's a pleasure to read you Wolfy.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:11 Nov 18, 2020

:> Same to you- checking out your stories rn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mustang Patty
14:53 Nov 18, 2020

Hi there, I thoroughly enjoyed your story. Your attention to detail and vivid imagery was wonderful. I did come across some noun/verb agreement issues, but they were not stumbling blocks to reading/enjoying the story. I am putting together an Anthology of Short Stories to be published in late Spring 2021. Would you be interested? The details can be found on my website: www.mustangpatty1029.com on page '2021 Indie Authors' Short Story Anthology,' and you can see our latest project on Amazon. '2020 Indie Authors' Short Story Anthology...

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:08 Nov 18, 2020

Thank you! Sure, the website seems cool and I'm checking it out rn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.