198 comments

Drama

Vera lay still in bed, listening to the wind howl and the waves crash onto the small island. A silent tear rolled down her cheek, for today was the day she would have to kill Matthew. She didn't want to do it, she didn't even know for sure if she COULD do it, but she had to.

She glanced down at a small slip of paper in her hand, and whispered to herself the familiar, menacing words as she had every day for the past year.

"Six go out.

Five come in.

One will lose

The rest will win.

Two elders,

Two youths.

Two killers

Only one will stay true.

For of the killers

Just one will remain.

The other is forgotten

Lost forever in pain."

Vera pondered these words for the 365th time, but tonight was the first night she really understood them. These were words that fueled her and drained her, and had done so for the past year. She began to figure things out in her head. The elders were Mr. and Mrs. Huckleberry, who were each about 90 years old and were the kind of people who look down upon small children with a fond smile on their face. The youths were Jenny and Joey, who were practically small clumps of energy that ran around the island the whole day long, fighting and playing with each other.

Vera and Matthew were the killers. They were the only ones on this island that could feel real pain and hatred, which was why they were the ones who had to kill the other. Only five people could fit on the ship that was coming, so someone had to go. That someone, as Vera had decided long ago, was Matthew.

There was one main problem. Being isolated on an island or any other dangerous, desolate place that requires teamwork and compliance can sometimes weaken relationships, and can sometimes strengthen them. The whole reason the group was sent to the island was an experiment for the government, they were like guinea pigs trapped in a small cage, or in this case, the island.

In this case, the group's relationships were severely strengthened, and this group of what were once strangers were now as close as family. Which was why it was so hard for Vera to betray someone she had grown to love over the past year. But she had to. Otherwise, she would never make it back to the rest of humanity, her life would not be worth living. "Best to get done with it" she murmured. She pulled on a sweatshirt and stepped out of the small house.

She crept down the sandy shore of the island, holding a long, thin dagger in her trembling hand. Her bare feet made no sound as she moved towards Matthew's hut. She pulled up the curtain of reeds and stood over Matthew's sleeping body. She raised the dagger above his head, and began to bring it down. She stopped. She couldn't do it, it was like killing a brother. She walked back to her own hut, her emotions battling with reality.

She had to kill him or she'd never get off the island, but she couldn't kill a friend. That was her major flaw, doing the right thing rather than the logical thing.

Vera sighed and tried to get back to sleep. Even though it was bright out, it was still early, 4 or 5 o'clock maybe. She listened to the hollow wind and the crying birds for a while, then drifted off into sleep.

Vera awoke to a figure looming over her, a familiar figure. "Matthew" she whispered. "Vera" he whispered back. There followed a long moment of silence while both stared deeply into each other's eyes wet eyes.

"I know why you've come."

"You were at my place. I should be dead right now."

"I couldn't do it."

Matthew said nothing

"Matthew, just-" Vera choked on her tears.

"I have to do it, Vera".

"I know."

"I'll do it now, I'll get it over with."

"Yes. Please do."

"Sleep well, my dear".

Matthew pulled out a dagger, identical to Vera's, and stared at it for a moment. Then he closed his eyes and stabbed it into her heart, as she gazed up at him. He dropped the dagger and opened his eyes to Vera's dying body. Weeping, he picked her up and held her lifeless corpse in his bare hands. Everything that had happened between the two of them the last year had come to this. Now it was over.

As Matthew discovered, when a group suffers a loss, everyone acts the same, forlorn and quiet. Even the youths, Jenny and Joey, seemed to be gloomy and were not their energetic selves, even though they had no idea what was going on. As they prepared for the next day, they barely talked. The liveliness of the small group and the island had been replaced by tensity and worry.

Matthew felt as if everyone was against him. He moped around all day in a bubble of misery, wishing he had gone rather than Vera. In a way this was selfish, for Vera was in no way suffering, quite unlike her dear Matthew. He stumbled about the island trying to be helpful and doing chores, never forgetting his lost love.

As night fell he dug the grave and placed Vera's cold mass inside the dark pit. He covered it with a thick layer of dirt, then placed wild flowers and vines on it. He carved a simple gravestone with his dagger, the same one he used to kill his loved one.

Here lies Vera Woodshow

2106-2129

Much loved, Much pained

Rest In Peace

Matthew stared at the grave for a few minutes, then turned away and walked back to his hut.

The ship sailed in from the East, with a silhouette outlined by the rising sun of pinks and oranges. The reeds brushed softly against themselves, and as the five survivors boarded the ship, the wind seemed to sing a sad song, a song of remorse, a song of despair.

November 13, 2020 13:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

198 comments

Aisha H.
18:25 Nov 17, 2020

That was really good! It was well written and captivating! One thing though is that maybe you can switch the wording at one part. "they were like guinea pigs trapped in a small cage, or in this case, the island." And then you started the next paragraph with 'In this case'. I'm sorry if I didn't make it very clear as to what I'm trying to say. I suck at explanations -.- Other than that though, this story was amazing! Keep up the good work! <3

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:34 Nov 17, 2020

Thank you- I understand entirely ;) I can see how that may not be the best word choice, thank you for pointing that out!

Reply

Aisha H.
18:42 Nov 17, 2020

^ ^

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:50 Nov 17, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Very good! I really can't wait to know what happens next!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
16:12 Nov 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Hi Wolfy, I just submited the backstory to Mommy's girl, do check it out!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:12 Nov 18, 2020

Ok, I will rn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ben To
22:13 Nov 16, 2020

Wow! I didn't expect him to go through with it. Cool story!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
22:39 Nov 16, 2020

ty ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
20:45 Nov 16, 2020

Rather beautiful...I still want to know more about these characters!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
21:53 Nov 16, 2020

thank you, i might do a part two sometime ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
19:39 Nov 16, 2020

Oh my goodness. I thought Vera was going to stab him! Amazing work! The suspense and anticipation built very nicely. One thing I do recommend though is that you experiment a little bit more with emotion to make the reader feel the emotions while also being a bit subtler. Otherwise, great job and good luck in the contest. -Whirl

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:39 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
19:47 Nov 16, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:24 Nov 16, 2020

Nicely written, you had me wondering if he was going to do it.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:27 Nov 16, 2020

Tysm! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:56 Nov 16, 2020

Wow! Well done!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:01 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

16:20 Nov 16, 2020

You are very welcome!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
16:21 Nov 16, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:32 Nov 15, 2020

I know you would probably want some critique and all that stuff, but I'm not that good at giving that kind of stuff. Though I will say that you did a great job with this story like you did with the others and I'm glad ya made another story ^^ 10/10 :)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
23:13 Nov 15, 2020

Thank you- I'm no good at giving critique either :/

Reply

B. W.
23:39 Nov 15, 2020

No problem ^^ ive never been good at it or anything- the most I can do is just say "This word is spelled wrong, fix it" or something :/

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:22 Nov 16, 2020

lol, sometimes i can pull something together but then I see other people's comments and I'm like... yeaaaaaah I need to work on my advice ;P

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshara P
05:59 Dec 18, 2021

Oh my goodness. I really thought Vera was going to stab Matthew. I didn't expect it to go the other way round! I can't get over how good you are at writing. :) ~ Akshara

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
22:36 Nov 29, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:07 Nov 30, 2021

Thank you! I loved ur story, left a comment on it a minute ago. You're an amazing writer too! ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hey Wolfy!! You're such a talented writer. Awesome job!! Keep it up, and I'll be back for more!! -Bella

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
16:51 Nov 29, 2021

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orchid Krizan
20:21 Jun 14, 2021

So bitter sweet!! Loved it

Reply

Show 0 replies
19:25 May 24, 2021

Okay, that was really cool. Gave me shivers! I could almost see Matthew’s dark figure standing over Vera. Also my neighbor’s name is Vera......I hope she never meets a Matthew. Your Rando Writing Prompt: Write a story using two genres that might seem totally exclusive at first, like sci-fi and historical fiction or romance and, well, actually romance goes with virtually anything. Whatever.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie P.
14:28 Apr 26, 2021

Hey, there, writers! Are you a fan of The False Prince? Have you ever wished that the False Prince would come out as screenplay? Well, here's your chance to pitch in and help us! It sounds complicated, but it really isn't. All you need to do is go here: http://chng.it/RXXqmhFqF8 Did you sign it? Reply to this comment and we'll take a look at whether you signed it or not. Then we'll follow you, like five of your stories, and share it on our profiles so your underrated works of art have their time to shine! Don't wait! Please sign our peti...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 0 replies
Sunny 🌼
18:57 Nov 25, 2020

The most EPIC Uno reverse card. Matthew ended up killing Vera, NOT the other way around!!!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:13 Nov 25, 2020

:) Thank you! ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.