167 comments

Romance Inspirational Sad

The things are tossed into my bags one at a time; my clothes, the frames I used to keep by our bedside, the books I used to keep on our bookshelves. Bluebell tries to climb inside, but I pick up his furry body and place him on the bed, earning a mew of complaint. As I hang the heavy luggage over my shoulders, I take one last look at the room we used to share.


My cold, slender fingers sweep the moisture out of my eyes. I don’t want to cry, not now. Not with you waiting for me at the door. The room looks bare now, only half of what it used to be. You pick up two more of my bags from the floor as we carry them down to my car, side by side but walking in silence.


When the last of my belongings are removed from the apartment we used to share, we have succeeded at erasing any traces of what we used to be. I find myself wondering if this was really necessary, as my eyes start to well up again. I wish it didn’t have to be this way, even though I chose all of this. It was never your fault, always mine.


I turn away from the car, coming face to face with you, barely inches apart. You pull me in for a hug, always the gracious one out of the two of us. I loosely wrap my arms around you, watching the cars pass our driveway over your shoulder. Bluebell weaves in between our legs, yet another thing I will be leaving behind.


When I realize we’re both stalling what is ahead, I pull out of your arms. I gently untangle my hand from your own, the tips of our fingers sliding apart. 


“I guess this is goodbye,” you tell me, seeing the moment for what it is. 


You are brave, you face your problems. Unlike me, I hide. I wish I was stronger. 


“You couldn’t have been a better partner to me,” I say, “You’re not the reason it turned out this way, it was all me. I’m sorry I ruined this.”


“It wasn’t your fault. You did what you needed to do,” the smile you offer me is weak, looking more sad than anything, “I hope you can find happiness, wherever that may be.”


I nod in return, managing to find a few last words.


“Maybe I’ll see you again, in another time, another place. But for now, goodbye.”


I turn away from you then, climbing into my car and starting the rusty, old engine. As I drive away from the house we used to share, I don’t look back at you. Not even to catch sight of your beautiful arctic-blue eyes one last time. It’s less painful that way.


🎈🎈🎈


There is always a certain feeling that comes along with driving on a highway, if you were here you would know what I mean. A feeling of leaving something behind while entering something new. The feeling that comes with reluctantly driving into a new phase of your life.


As I blankly stare at the gray road ahead of me, my mind and body numb, I can’t help but revisit the memory that led to me driving away from you today. When tears fill my eyes again, I don’t bother to wipe them away. They drop onto my jacket and jeans, seeping through the material. Chilling my already icy skin.


Of all the reasons I could have decided to leave you, this seems like the most surprising. 


After all, the only thing you did was save my life.


I still remember that night. I remember trudging through the thick snow up the mountain, aiming to make it to the top by noon. I remember us all starting to get dizzy-headed as we reached thinner air, our breath taken away. I remember being behind you on the rope leading us up the mountain, watching your boots as you expertly made your way to the peak.


I remember posing for pictures and holding our flag at the top, two hours after noon. Us all rushing down the mountain, struggling to make it to the bottom before the approaching storm and night hit. Hoping to be safely sheltered in heavy-duty tents when the snow warred with the mountain.


I remember night coming faster than any of us would have expected. Being at the back of the line, not likely to make it to the campsite anytime soon. Gasping for breath, my frozen limbs barely functioning. I remember you glancing back at me, the last stranded straggler on the mountain. Your eyes flitting between the path to safety and my figure that was being enveloped by the blizzard. 


But most of all I remember you taking a step back up the mountain, toward me. You deciding to put your life on the line for a stranger in a matter of seconds. I’ll never forget that.


Those hours we spent huddled under a protruding section of rock, struggling to keep warm as the wind cut at our faces, you stayed by my side. Doing your best to keep me safe from everything threatening my life. When the sun came up after the longest night of our lives, we were both still there. Hearts beating, lungs filled with air.      


You saved my life.


Too bad I was never able to properly repay you.


🎈🎈🎈


I know you never really understood why I had to leave you, no matter how much you tried. Sure, you said you understood completely, but I could see right through that. What hurt you most of all, I think, is that my departure seemed to be done without any reason. I wish I could have explained it to you better.


The truth is, after that night, I couldn’t look into your eyes without remembering everything that happened. The memories terrified me, forever trapping me in the past. No matter who you are and who I am, our story will always be one that brings tears to my eyes. That keeps me up at night whenever my mind strays to it, which is almost always.


I wish we could have met at a different time, in a different place. Where I could have introduced myself to you at work or the cafe I visit every day for lunch. Not on a mountain top where we were both fighting for our lives. I think I will stop climbing, at least for a little while. Sure, it was always both of our passions, but I don’t know if the trauma I endured was worth it.


I used to think I couldn’t live without you, and that might still be true, but I am going to try. I need to leave all this behind, even you. Maybe then I will gain room to breathe. 


“𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓼 𝓵𝓮𝓽𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓰𝓸 𝓲𝓼 𝓪𝓷 𝓪𝓬𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓯𝓪𝓻 𝓰𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓷 𝓭𝓮𝓯𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓸𝓻 𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓸𝓷.” -𝓔𝓬𝓴𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓣𝓸𝓵𝓵𝓮


February 03, 2021 05:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

167 comments

Nainika Gupta
02:13 Feb 04, 2021

hey hey hey are you gonna post the last parts of the collab??

Reply

Maya -
02:14 Feb 04, 2021

Yes, I'm gonna write them in a little. Sorry, I just have a big school project. Ugh :/ I promise I'll get a good amount done tonight though, since I work a lot at night. Sorry!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
02:16 Feb 04, 2021

oh no problem - take your time :) just making sure

Reply

Maya -
02:17 Feb 04, 2021

Yeah, I'll do it really soon. Sorry, if I had a choice, school wouldn't exist. XP

Reply

Nainika Gupta
02:21 Feb 04, 2021

aha i know - it sucks but....we need education! *me doing my one and only duty to American education*

Reply

Maya -
02:22 Feb 04, 2021

Haha I would still want an education, just not at school. It's so boring. XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Maya -
02:23 Feb 04, 2021

I'm finished now, I'm gonna go to our doc. :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:48 Feb 04, 2021

this is like the inspirational thing the teacher says and your classmates don't know what to say ". . ." GOOD JOB! i like the subtle romance in there but not too much. great job with the present tense, you kept all the tenses the same :O the quote at the end really brought everything together nicely. . . GOOD JOB! XD ~ Amethyst

Reply

Maya -
00:57 Feb 04, 2021

Thanks so much, Amy!!! :DDD XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:55 Feb 03, 2021

You said you wanted to collab-- could you sometime with me? I'm a good writer for long stuff, but my short stories need some help and you have good ideas. Hoping to do one about superheroes or something. Hopefully not as violent as what I almost sent in but was, like, 2000 words too long.

Reply

Maya -
20:04 Feb 03, 2021

I would love to do a collab sometime with you Melody! (can I call you that?) Would next week work for you? Just since I already have some stories going on this week. :) --- I would also love to read you work sometime! That's great that you're good at longer stuff, that you're able to write a longer story and stick with it. That's an amazing talent to have. :)

Reply

20:11 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks! Ok, yeah! I find I can fit more detail into long stuff and I like detail. :)

Reply

Maya -
20:52 Feb 03, 2021

That's great! Are you working on any novel or longer story projects right now? And I'm really excited to work with you next week. :)

Reply

20:58 Feb 03, 2021

Actually, do you want to be in my story now? I need one more character in this superhero teens one... if you want to, fill this thingy out: Hair color, eye color, skin color, power (has to be either element-related or have some restriction, like you can fly, but only when the sun's out) age, and color group. Color groups are red, blue, violet, green, black, and white. They're like Houses. Reds are strong, blues are kind, violets are smart, greens are spunky, blacks are mysterious, and whites are brave. I'm going to give them animals, but fo...

Reply

21:01 Feb 03, 2021

And yeah, I'm trying top draft a novel, but it's not very good-- a lot of blood and too many Harry Potter references.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Maya -
22:41 Feb 03, 2021

I would love to! Hair color: golden-brown, Eye color: Green, Skin color: Caucasian, Power: Gravity Manipulation (I'm not sure what a restriction for that would be, maybe magnets XD), Color: Violet, And my name is Maya. Thank you so much!!! :DDD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Maya imma join scrribl today because you know u can vote-kick :D

Reply

Maya -
18:37 Feb 03, 2021

Okay! Yay! I'm working on a story, and I'm kinda busy right now so would you mind asking the group if they want to play? :)

Reply

Maya -
18:41 Feb 03, 2021

ThAnK yOu XD

Reply

Maya -
18:41 Feb 03, 2021

🦋 🦋🦋

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Katie May
17:56 Feb 03, 2021

Woooowww. What a amazing story! So good! :DDD

Reply

Maya -
18:00 Feb 03, 2021

Thank you so much, Katelyn! :DDD

Reply

Katie May
18:29 Feb 04, 2021

Hey Maya!! When is the next scribble game???

Reply

Maya -
19:04 Feb 04, 2021

Today at 3:30 EST! I'll put the link at the bottom of my bio. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sapphire 🌼
17:30 Feb 03, 2021

Wow. I- wow. You are such a talented writer. Thank you for blessing me with this beautiful piece! The quote at the end adds to the vibe and the emotion of the story. It's a great addition!

Reply

Maya -
23:07 Feb 03, 2021

Thank youuuuu so much, Saph!!! :DDDDDD

Reply

Sapphire 🌼
18:09 Feb 04, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
16:45 Feb 03, 2021

🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔🦔 I updated my bio too!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:59 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks! Ooh, that's a great idea! Tell me when you post!!!

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:31 Feb 03, 2021

Of course!!! I'm in the middle of writing on now so it won't be awhile before I do :)

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
17:59 Feb 03, 2021

NEW STORY!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:13 Feb 03, 2021

Oh my gosh wow Maya! This has got to be one of my favorites by you! It was so sad and beautiful and poetic in a way. Just beautiful. The title and the quote at the end basically pulled the whole story together. I am going to read this over and over again, and I am going to cry again and again. I loved how you made your transitions so smooth. Great job on this one Maya!

Reply

Maya -
15:38 Feb 03, 2021

Aww, thanks so so much, Karina! I'm really glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:43 Feb 03, 2021

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 This was so beautiful. I don't even have words to describe it. It was really well done, and you were able to incorporate a very vague prompt in a non-cliche way. I have 0 critiques and no idea how to describe this. It was absolutely beautiful. Amazing job Maya:D

Reply

Maya -
14:38 Feb 03, 2021

OMG thank you so much, Luna!!!!!! :DDDDDD <3

Reply

14:46 Feb 03, 2021

:DDD<33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:56 Feb 03, 2021

🦔:D

Reply

Maya -
16:58 Feb 03, 2021

Btw I read your bio too! :)

Reply

17:28 Feb 03, 2021

aww thanks!!!

Reply

Maya -
17:28 Feb 03, 2021

Np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
16:57 Feb 03, 2021

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
. .
16:24 Feb 03, 2021

THIS WAS AWESOME!!! However, you do need to make sure that you're not overdramatizing. Also, GIVE US SOME TIMES OF THEM BONDING!!!! OTHER THAN THAT OMG THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!

Reply

Maya -
16:30 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks! Yes, okay, that's a good suggestion, I'll keep that in mind next time!!! Thankkkk youuu! :DDD

Reply

. .
16:33 Feb 03, 2021

:DDDDDDDDD IT WAS GREATTTTT

Reply

Maya -
16:34 Feb 03, 2021

Thank you so much!!!! :DDDDDDD

Reply

. .
16:35 Feb 03, 2021

Meep

Reply

Maya -
16:57 Feb 03, 2021

XDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:34 Feb 03, 2021

🦔

Reply

Maya -
14:29 Feb 03, 2021

Thx!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

;w; I CANT EVEN BREATHE WAAAAAAAAAAH *breaks down sobbing*

Reply

Maya -
06:03 Feb 03, 2021

Lol thanks! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya -
05:18 Feb 03, 2021

Thanks so much for reading! A few small things. This was partially inspired by something I heard on the radio like three years ago. I honestly couldn't tell you what it said (cause it was so long ago) but yeah. Also, the whole mountain-climbing theme was inspired by a book I read called "Into Thin Air" by Jon Krakauer. It's a really great read, comment below if you have read it. Also, any critique and feedback on the story is welcome and appreciated. Thanks, guys! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.