Rebel Prince

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write about someone who has a superpower.... view prompt

216 comments

Fantasy Funny Science Fiction

 

 

I just didn’t get it.

 

Like, at all.

 

I mean, I tried to understand the thought process of everyone in Tyala—my father especially—but I always wound up in the same place:

 

100% confuzzled.

 

Okay? So sue me for not understanding why everything anybody ever wanted was to be plain and normal. To fit in.

 

I’m not going to do some big speech, or sing some big song like Belle in The Beauty and The Beast about how everybody is mediocre compared to me.

 

I can’t sing and I can’t judge. Because I’m just the same way.

 

I had no idea about the rest of the planet Ash, but everybody I knew had the same intentions: be normal. Fit it. ‘Unique’ and ‘special’ are insults because it means you are different. And different is bad. 

 

And I knew everybody. Everybody in the kingdom of Tyala—maybe 1,000 or so people. Why? Well, I was in line to be their king.

 

*****

 

I guess it’s time for me to introduce myself.

 

Well, hi. I’m 14 and my name is Jax Conner—or, as everybody else calls me, Prince Jax. My dad is King Astley and my mom is...dead.

 

If you want me to be really specific, then I live on the planet Ash, the continent South Hayling, and the town Tyala. I live in a castle with my dad, and yes, I’m miserable.

 

My dad is nice. The servants are nice. I have friends.

 

And yet everything is so…bland.

 

Here’s the dilemma: I’m different. Nobody really knows, because I’m different on the inside. I’m different because I want to be different.

 

Ever since I heard those warning stories about loose cannons, the ones you tell to your kids so they know to fit it, I’ve wanted to be a rebel. It sounds amazing, but I can’t be.

 

1, I’m the prince. I’m expected to be the most perfect of everybody: the most normal, the most plain, the person who fits in the most. So you can see how wanting to be a rebel wouldn’t go over well. I’d probably be banished like the rest of the different people, or even thrown in prison because everyone has higher expectations for me.

 

2, I’m Jax Conner. I mean that about who I am on the inside. All my life I’ve been pressured into being normal, so I admit, I’m gullible and timid and quiet and, yeah, normal. Besides the fact that I want to be different. So I don’t think I could mentally be a rebel, or even step out of the bounds a little. 

But I was willing to try.

 

*****

 

A long, long time ago, hundreds of years in the past, people had power. Real powers. Great powers. Really great powers.

 

Invisibly, flying, lightning, power over water—you name it, somebody had it. Life was different and new and exciting, because everybody had a unique ability that they grew accustomed to in day-to-day life.  

 

Everybody had powers hundreds of years ago.

 

That’s when the roots of a soon-to-be tree grew in people’s minds: roots of distrust. Roots of wanting to be normal. 

 

Most people had powers two hundred years ago.

 

The roots started to sprout, more and more, growing and growing and growing.

 

Some people had powers one hundred years ago.

 

The sprout began to flourish. Being different was bad, and powers were different. Powers were bad and so many people didn’t want them.

 

Hardly anybody had powers 70 years ago.

 

And soon, just a couple dozens years ago, nobody wanted powers. Nobody wanted to be different, to be unique. It was good to blend in and bad to stand out, that’s what I was always taught. 

 

Here’s the thing about powers—they naturally occur. You can’t keep one from being inside you. You can’t force a power into your body. Nope, you’re born with a power whether you like it or not.

 

Weeeeell…most people didn’t like it.

 

Lucky for them, powers were almost extinct. Around 1 in a hundred people had a superpower, although they weren’t ‘super’ anymore. Nobody straight out called superpowers awfulpowers, but it was implied. And in the kingdom of Tyala, it was like a word association: Chocolate=yummy. Rock=hard. Powers=BAD!

 

But there was still that 1 person in every group of 100.

 

That one person had to be stomped out, so they couldn’t have kids who may or may not inherit the power-genes. They were banished.

 

Once you turned 15, you were tested for powers in Lyon Hall. Scientists had developed an easy way to do it: the teenager would say “Do I have powers?” out loud and, if they did, their power would use itself.

 

Right. Another thing about powers: they’re kind of...well, alive makes it sound creepy, but it kind of is. Powers are you, but also a part of you. They don’t have thoughts but they have a voice. In their head, of course. They know what they are.

 

Most powers will obey the sentence.

 

But yeah, sometimes it doesn’t work.

 

Anyways, my birthday is on March 16th.

 

Which was tomorrow.

 

In less than 24 hours, I was going to see if I had super—yes, I said ‘super’—powers or bust.

 

And sue me again, but I was hoping I did.

 

*****

 

I gulped, even though I technically had nothing to be afraid of. I was the prince, in line for the throne. Everybody respected and even feared me a little.

 

Which I hated.

 

“I’m just like you!” I wanted to shout every time I saw somebody bow or tremble. “I’m a regular teenage boy! I can’t help it if my dad is the freakin’ KING! Please, don’t go!” Yeah, always ‘don’t go’. Because nobody wanted to be my friend.

 

It wasn’t normal to be close with royalty, go figure.

 

Okay, I might’ve lied a bit when I said I had friends earlier. Notice I said ‘a bit’—I have friends, just not… human friends.

 

Books. Books are my friends. I get lost in new worlds.

 

My keyboard is my friend, too. Writing is my bestie. When I write, I leave Ash and teleport into the story. Once there, I can create characters, design a world, and make anything I want happen. Everybody can be different. Everybody can be unique. Everybody can have superpowers!

 

But nope…I just had to live on Ash and not the planet in my books.

 

I tried to convince myself that gulping is ‘swallowing my fear’, and I matched into Lyon Hall.

 

The large room had a marble floor and a high wooden ceiling. There was no furniture minus a single armchair in the center of the room, occupied by an old looking man. Weathered skin stretched over his bones, he looked 70 but with a buttload of confidence. The man had all red clothes and glasses, plus a white beard. His eyes darted to my face.

 

“Scientist Ozai,” My voice trembled. I was totally freaking out.

 

“Prince Jax,” He said in a warm voice. A moment passed and I sighed with relief. He hadn’t bowed!

 

Then I realized the old man had literally gotten out of his chair and was kneeling on the floor. Before I could stop the scientist, Ozai was kissing my feet. 

 

“It’s okay,” I took a step back. “I’m not king or anything.”

 

Scientist Ozai got up and took my hands in his. “Son, are you ready to figure out if you have powers or not?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Then say it.”

 

“Do I have powers?” I hollered.

 

“Not so loud,” Ozai winced. We waited. Nothing happened. Ozai sighed with happiness and I sighed with disappointment. There was no way I could be a rebel without a power to boost me.

 

“Thank you for coming,” Scientist Ozai nodded. “I’m pleased to inform you that you have no powers. You’re normal, congratulations.”

 

“Thanks.” I had to keep my voice from dripping with sarcasm—that would be disrespectful to the famous scientist, after all—as I started walking towards the exit. My shoes clacked on the floor as I jumped out the door. 

 

It was a warm summer day and Lyon forest was nearby, so I kicked off my fancy black shoes, grabbed my worn sneakers I had placed by the door, and threw them on.

 

I raced off towards the woods.

 

*****

 

I hummed as I strode across a fallen log wedged between two hills. “This is rebellious,” I remarked as I peered at the 10 foot drop underneath the log, “right?”

 

I kept walking. Birds were singing and there was a warm breeze, and it was a beautiful fall evening. I started to follow a crystal-clear stream downhill.

 

It wound around the hills that made up the forest, hills covered in twigs and dirt and thousands of colorful leaves that crunched beneath my feet. 

 

Soon, the gurgling brook led me to another log stuck between the tips of two hills. Underneath the tree was the sobbing figure of a small girl curled into a ball.

 

“What’s the matter?” I asked as I edged near her. The girl looked like she was 7 or 8, with curly, chocolate brown hair, cowboy boots, skinny jeans and a blue V-neck. 

 

“I—” she started to say.

 

She never finished because at that moment, the end of the log cracked and chipped away. The dead tree that used to be balanced over our heads started to…fall down?!

 

As a matter of instinct, I thrust my hand up in hopes to soften the blow.

 

It didn’t work—because the blow never happened.

 

My heart was beating so hard I was afraid it was going to pop out of my chest as I waited 1 second, 2 seconds, 3 seconds. I felt no log crushing my vital organs (maybe a bit of a stretch, but still: the log was solid and HUGE!)—but I didn’t feel any log crushing my hand, either.

 

I glanced up and saw…. 

 

Well, let’s just say that the superpower testing method had failed in my case.

 

The huge log was hovering over my outstretched fingertips. Yeah, hovering. This giant, couple-hundred-pound tree was levitating over my hand.

 

Also my head.

 

I yelped and channeled my energy into floating the log away from me and the girl. The dead tree hit the ground 5 feet away from me with a thud.

 

I stared at the tree.

 

“Are you okay?”

 

I stared at the girl. “Pinch me.”

 

She did. Hard. I didn’t wake up because this wasn’t a dream. I had a power—one of the rarer ones, too. Telekinesis was amazing and would be super-useful…if I could use it.

 

“Are you okay?” She repeated.

 

“Not after that,” I glared at her as I rubbed my bicep. Ow.

 

We waited in an awkward silence as I went back and forth from staring at my hands and staring at the log. Finally, the girl sighed, got up, and dusted herself off. She offered a hand to me. “Thanks for saving my life, Looky.”

 

“Looky?” I squinted as I got up. Was that some sort of cheesy nickname?

 

“Well, yeah. You’re looking at everything like having a power is crazy.”

 

“That’s rude,” I glared. “And it IS crazy! I’m super happy, though,” I added. “Powers will be great.”

 

“First, how is having powers crazy? Second… I guess that was rude. But that’s not bonkers or anything.”

 

I glanced at her curiously. “You’re not from here, are you?”

 

“No.” She looked down at her feet and kicked a pebble. We started walking through the woods. “Why?”

 

“No reason,” I said—even though I most definitely had a reason. “Why were you crying, anyway?” Even though I was dying to try my power out some more, it was my duty to make sure the used-to-be-sobbing 8-year-old who just had a brush with death was fine mentally, too.

 

“Ugh, do I have to tell you?”

 

“Yep.”

 

“Fine. I was crying because I just got here. I don’t know anybody and it sucks. This is a strange kingdom, by the way. I haven’t seen one power used—odd. Powers are awesome and you should USE them, weirdos!”

 

“Wait,” I said. The girl stopped and looked at me. “No, I mean, keep walking but…hold up. You’re not from around here.”

 

“Yeah. I’ve already said that.”

 

“And…you think having powers is awesome.”

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Lastly… you don’t know anybody.”

 

“Are you deaf?”

 

“Nope,” I laughed. “I’m Jax, by the way.” 

 

“I’m Arava.”

 

I grinned. Arava was literally the first person to not say, “Prince Jax?” after meeting me. It felt amazing to be with somebody who didn’t know my title and didn’t know my kingdom’s unspoken rule: Normal is good and powers are bad.

 

“So…do you have powers?” I shrugged.

 

Arava flipped her hair and smiled at me. “Duh. Invisibility.”

 

“Cool,” I said, trying to keep my cool. Even though my brain was screaming YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY! SHE HAS POOOOOWERS AND THINKS POWERS ARE GOOD! WHOOOP! like a, well, madman. Madbrain? Madbrain.

 

Then I realized something: we were walking out of the forest.

 

And people in the actual town of Tyala hated differences. Hated powers. Hated people who had powers and were different.

 

Then I realize something else: I had powers which, at this point in time, meant that I almost certainly had a parent with powers. My dead mother, the one person who understood me, definitely didn’t. She always wished for a power but never got one—I would swear on my life that she didn’t because Mom told me everything.

 

So…my dad had powers.

 

King Astley of Normalland had what?

 

Powers, I repeated to myself. Dad has powers.

 

And yet he was king. Nobody knew he had superpowers and he wasn’t banished—certainly not killed—for it. Which meant that my powers could never be a problem in Tyala. I could still be a normal king, ruling a normal kingdom.

 

I knew I was supposed to pick that option.

 

But I didn’t want to.

 

I had freakin’ superpowers. I had a young friend who didn’t know my title but did know that powers were good. Best yet? Arava was a rebel.

 

I had a teacher and a subject.

 

I grinned to myself as Arava and I walked into Tyala.

 

Jax Conner was learning to fight back.

July 21, 2020 21:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

216 comments

B.T Beauregard
22:22 Jul 29, 2020

Awesome job!! Great world building, its really immersive. Your style is new and refreshing, it gives the characters a lot of personality. My only critique is the testing for powers, maybe a dive a little deeper into the entire process? Maybe there could be security to be ready to escort those with magic out or make it a more difficult test? Overall, I really enjoyed your story, fantastic job!! :)

Reply

22:33 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks so much, T.c. Morgan!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anaya Dennis
19:57 Jul 29, 2020

This was really enjoyable. I love how the main character secretly wanted to be different and was slowly rebelling against the norm. Makes me wonder about his potential and where the rest of this story could go. Great job!

Reply

20:03 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you so much! Actually, where the story goes is already posted. If you want to, check out ‘A Poem By A Star (No, Literally)’, which used the same main character but different plot. Also, I just posted ‘Jax Off Ash’, which ALSO used Jax. It’s Part 1 of Part 3 in Jax’s world, if that makes any sense. Byeeee and thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zion Hintay
19:20 Jul 29, 2020

Great world building and love the banter of the characters. “Wait,” I said. The girl stopped and looked at me. “No, I mean, keep walking but…hold up. You’re not from around here.” This had me laughing for some unknown reason. Plus the word confuzzled is just great. Being 100% confuzzled is not a good time. Like his little speel in the beginning. Great work.

Reply

19:23 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you!!! Haha, I love that line, too. I dunno why, but every time somebody says ‘hold up’ in a story or real life I feel like people need to stop. Aw, thanks! I’m a kid, so I often use what I call ‘kid language’ in my writing. Usually, I only use words like ‘wanna’ and ‘lemme’ in kid dialogue, but some ‘kid language’ like ‘Confuzzled’ and ‘dunno’ I’ll use in narrative, too. So glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:55 Jul 29, 2020

I like it! Well...obviously. You probably just got that notification. What I mean is, I love it! I agree with other comments, you should turn it into a series or something.

Reply

19:06 Jul 29, 2020

Thanks so much! I don’t know if you mean a series of BOOKS or SHORT STORIES, but I’ll assume the latter. Actually, A Poem By A Star (No, Literally) is like part 2 of this story. By part 2 I mean it’s not the same plot, but the same main character: Jax Conner. Actually, I’m writing part 3 right now (should be posted today) so...yeah! If you liked this story, you might want to check out A Poem By A Star (No, Literally) and my new story when I post it! Thanks again! 😁😁😁

Reply

19:12 Jul 29, 2020

Sure thing! I will!

Reply

22:03 Jul 29, 2020

And actually I did mean series of books...but short stories is also awesome. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Julian Race
11:18 Jul 27, 2020

This was great, I wonder if you would take the time to read my story “The School Sports Day, a memoire........” by Julian Race?

Reply

16:42 Jul 27, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
02:54 Jul 27, 2020

This was a cool story. I liked it. It was entertaining and Jax is a surprisingly fun author. If you don't mind could you check out my story "Disaster Child"? Thanks!(Also was Scientist Ozai a nod to Avatar the last Airbender because if so we can be best friends).

Reply

10:43 Jul 27, 2020

Thanks! Haha, yep! I love Avatar and just had to use a name.

Reply

Sunny 🌼
14:24 Jul 27, 2020

Lol awesome. I just finished the show and loved it!

Reply

16:44 Jul 27, 2020

Yeah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
22:44 Jul 26, 2020

This story was really well written. I think though that you shouldn’t introduce the main character. I think the reader should find out about it as they read on. It may make it more interesting. I don’t really know. Just my opinion. I really did enjoy reading it though. Very nice job.

Reply

23:13 Jul 26, 2020

Thank youuu!

Reply

Doubra Akika
00:47 Jul 27, 2020

Sure😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
21:56 Jul 26, 2020

This was a great piece! I enjoyed reading it. :)

Reply

21:57 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you! (P. S. ‘A Poem By A Star’ is kind of like part 2 of this, if you want to read it!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
21:43 Jul 26, 2020

Very well done on the story. Flowed well as you read to find out the results of this beautiful tale. It makes me think that instead of uplifting people society likes to squash ones hopes. Superb!

Reply

21:45 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you, Corey!!! I was grinning as I read this! 😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tori Routsong
03:09 Jul 26, 2020

I can totally feel the energy you put into writing this! Nice work!

Reply

21:29 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you, Tori!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
18:46 Jul 24, 2020

I loved your story Aerin. It kept me engaged as a reader. It's like the writer is conversing with me. The creativity is quite unique. Wow Aerin. This was brilliant.

Reply

19:14 Jul 24, 2020

Thank you!!! This means so much to me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Freeman
14:27 Jul 22, 2020

Hi! I commented on the wrong one but I’ll do this too cuz why not. The story here is actually very good! Jax is a really relatable character, yet he’s unique in his own way. Uniquely unique. The moral is a really good life lesson. It’s definitely more than okay to be different, because you’re you, not your parents or siblings or friends. You choose your own path. If you want to get superpowers, go and get some superpowers! This is a wonderful story of finding your element.

Reply

20:40 Jul 25, 2020

Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
01:13 Jul 22, 2020

Hi, I really love your writing but it’s not a great idea to put your age in your bio. This contest is technically for ages eighteen and up and I’d hate for you and your friend to get kicked off so I’d change it for privacy and rule reasons.

Reply

01:16 Jul 22, 2020

Hi— Thanks for the concern, but it’s okay. There are lots of writers on Reedsy Prompts who are 17, 16, and younger, and it’s fine—as a 17-year-old explained, the age is mainly for the reward. We’re pretty much allowed to post stories of we’re fine with not getting $50 if we win, and I’m just posting stories for fun (like most other younger writers). Thank you! —Aerin

Reply

01:38 Jul 22, 2020

Welp, I changed it

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
03:06 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you, Aerin!

Reply

01:47 Oct 08, 2020

Ha! This is a perfect example of—wait, no, nothing. Can’t say yet. Anyways, this comment thread was back when I didn’t know everybody. This was, what, my second day on Reedsy? I was kinda annoyed with you and thought you were some helicopter mom. Aaaaaaaand now I’m like NOPE! RHONDA IS NICE GIRL WHO IS *INSERTOURAGE*!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
02:08 Oct 08, 2020

I feel like I warranted annoyance but telling people to change their ages is quite literally one of the best ways I've made friends on Reedsy :D love, helicopter mum rhonny

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
נιмму 🤎
06:18 Jul 26, 2020

bro i am also under the age of eighteen shhh

Reply

10:15 Jul 26, 2020

Haha

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Anjali Malik
01:06 Jul 22, 2020

Loved this story dear and I am amazed that you are too young and you write so well. Keep writing and I really wish that in future you become a famous writer.

Reply

01:08 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
00:45 Jul 07, 2021

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice first story (maybe not, but still, twas good)! I've always liked the idea of rebels...huh XD But I also liked the concept that they thought different was bad, I mean, it's just an interesting idea, and something you don't see much (I...never mind, just gonna step out of that boat...). For some strange reason (that only I know), I'm kinda obsessing over the name of this kingdom, Tyala. T Y A L A . tYaLa. TyAlA. TYALA. T Y A L A . Sorry I'll stop now XDD I don't have much ...

Reply

01:09 Jul 07, 2021

oooooooooooo omg a comment on here wow :0 First of, excuse me, *hides in humiliation* I HATE THIS STORY AHH 11-YEAR-OLD AERIN WHAT WERE YOU THINKINGGGGG ngl I like this concept but the plot meanders so much and there’s not a ton of action. Might do a rewrite some time in the future. Anywho, let’s see what you have to say lol… Aw, thank you! <33 HAHAHA THANK YOU IT TOOK ME FOREVER TO COME UP WITH and also it was based off the name “Tyler” cuz idk I felt like it XD tyyyy lolz Ackkkkkk means a lot you were so positive bout such an old story ...

Reply

TJ Squared
01:14 Jul 07, 2021

XDDD *you may be excused, we've all been there XDD* lol, I think it turned out great though :D I just like T names in general (wonder why...XD) ofc, spread positivity whenever you can ;D XDD I think I might have been a part of that at one point or another cause it sounds familiar lol

Reply

01:15 Jul 07, 2021

<333 yeshhh oof nice XDD

Reply

TJ Squared
01:18 Jul 07, 2021

lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:51 Feb 07, 2021

You are crazy. But it was hilarious.

Reply

14:48 Feb 07, 2021

Haha, shank you XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:49 Feb 07, 2021

Haha, shank you XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Sia S
06:07 Feb 07, 2021

How did you change the name?!

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
06:10 Dec 29, 2020

The quiz answer 1.answer.needle 2.answer.carrot 3.answer.equal weight. This is a nice riddle but it was easy, Keep keeping. Loved the riddle. Keep going and tell me the correct answer when the answer is wrong.

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
07:14 Sep 05, 2020

Congratulations Aerin for going to first place.Great job.

Reply

11:27 Sep 05, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:49 Aug 09, 2020

I loved this story and the way the main character sometimes uses their own grammar sometimes (LOL). Sha the story was really nice and if it was a telenovela I would be obsessed with it. Great story!

Reply

18:57 Aug 09, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

20:11 Aug 09, 2020

You are welcome😚:-*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.