331 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult Suspense


((Raya's POV))


He's not coming back. The sentence runs through my mind in circles. 



With every throw, I try and push it back. The knives form a perfect line across the wooden board, each of them exactly a foot apart. But it's not good enough. Nothing I do is ever up to my mother's standards. I glace out one of the windows, and out at the sky. I wonder if the sky Therin sees is the same. 


"You're pushing yourself too hard." Kate said softly, lowering her bow, not bothering to shoot her arrow. I stared at the just visible silver tip from her last one. 


"It's off center." I ignored her statement, snatching her bow and adjusting my stance. I pulled my arm back, digging my feet into the ground, releasing the string a moment later. It embedded in the wood right next to hers, in the center of the red dot. I reached out for another, and she grabbed my arm.  


"Raya, stop." 


I glared, looking away as tears threatened to pool in my eyes. "What." I hissed, yanking my arm away.


She looked at me for a second before pulling me into a hug. I froze before hugging her back, tears spilling down my face and staining the fabric of her violet shirt. For once, I don't care about my title as Lady Castor. I just want to be Raya. 


"He's gone." I whispered, trembling even though it isn't cold. I drift back to that first meeting where I met him, and the pair of ice-blue eyes that wouldn't eave my mind. 


"Therin can fight. He-" 


"He isn't good enough." I said sharply, pulling away and staring at her through tear-filled eyes. My voice cracks at the end of the sentence, words another affirmation that Therin's as good as dead "Just like how I'm not good enough."

I'm not the heir my parents wanted. I'm not the person I could be. It's angering that I don't want to change. "Just like how mother says it isn't good enough if I love someone who isn't royalty." I cut off, meeting her eyes. "He's gone, Kate." The flow of tears doesn't stop, and I give up trying to hold them back. "He's gone." 


*****************


((Therin's POV))


"You think you know what's going on." Karila whispered, her eyes glowing brightly as a pitiful smile tugs at the corners of her lips. "But you don't." Black tendrils drifted from her fingertips into the air, coiling around my arms. I try and pull back, but can't. She's constricting my movement, and making it so I can't do anything to fight against her.


My dragon snarls, and Karila's takes a step forward, pushing it's face toward Alasdaire. He cowers in fear of the huge creature, and I understand why. Just like with Karila now, that beast looks like they could kill someone instantly, and without a second thought.


"You think Raya loves you." My gaze snaps to hers. 


"How dare you-"


"But she doesn't." Karila shakes her head. The callous glisten in her eyes is quickly replaced with contempt. I open my mouth to fire back a retort, to tell her that she's wrong. But nothing comes out. When I try, I can't say anything. Why can't I contradict her? Why do I find myself believing those obviously false words?


Every memory of Raya is replaced with the one of her talking to the woman in white, then she and her mother watching someone scream. Her expression is blank. 


Raya isn't saying anything because it's dangerous to. She isn't saying anything because she doesn't care. She didn't say anything because wants to eventually be able to fight against them. She didn't say anything because she agrees with what they're doing. It benefits her. Raya is nobility, after all. It helps her, even though it hurts me. 


"She doesn't love you." 


I look back at Karila, trying to blink away the tears that dare to form in my eyes. "Stop-" I choke out, but am soon overwhelmed by images of her. Karila's words cut deep. It feels like I'm being stabbed over and over as that sentence pulses in my mind. I don't want to beg like I'm some animal at the mercy of their master's whip. But I can't watch everything I thought I knew turn inside out. I'd rather be oblivious to whatever Karila's trying to make me see. "Please."


She doesn't love you. 


"You're blind." She spat out. Her eyes stare into mine. She's reaching into the depths of my mind, forcing open the doors that hide everything that needs to be hidden. My insecurities, fears, everything. 


I see my younger brother staring at the floor, weakly holding his sword as our father tells him that he's doing everything wrong. My mother just stands in the corner, not doing anything to defend her youngest son. 


Raya with tears pouring down her face. The moments before I have the chance to comfort her, where she looks helpless and broken.


"You did this to her, Therin." Karila says softly as I look up. My gaze is blurred, but I could easily make out the satisfied smirk painted on her face. "It was only after she met you that she became like this. Weak."


"She isn't..." I can't finish my sentence. I know that it's true. It's because of me that she's been...weakened. How could she possibly love me after what I've done?


The black coils tighten around my limbs, strengthening their hold as I struggle against them. I let out a sharp cry as it leaves burn marks on my skin. The veins around her eyes become dark, and as do the whites of her eyes. My vision swims in front of me, as if I was staring at something submerged in water while the space around me spins. When I try and take in a breath, I can't. It gets caught in my throat, like I'm drowning. It burns terribly, like a mix of fire and water. Black spots swarm my vision, and I see Alasdaire suffering the same fate. He didn't do anything besides be a dragon. He doesn't deserve whatever this is. For myself, I couldn't say the same. 


I'm yanked back up, and gasp for air as it fills my lungs once again. As I stare at Karila and she stares back, her figure is replaced with Raya.


I don't know if I love or hate her. Karila's words seem so true and believable. They makes sense, furthermore. Why would Raya love me? Why would I love her?


If only I hadn't approached and asked what a noble like her was doing at a meeting for people against the Dragon Races. If only she hadn't answered with a snarky yet still genuine remark, turning back to Kate with something between a smile and a smirk.


If only I hadn't fallen in love her, none of this would have happened.


None of this would be happening. 

January 14, 2021 01:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

331 comments

. .
13:12 Jan 14, 2021

I'm not the heir my parents wanted. I'm not the person I could be. It's angering that I don't want to change. "Just like the fact that I'm in love with someone who isn't royalty-" DELETE THE I'M NOT AND THE IT IS!! ALSO REWORK THE LAST SENTENCE BC IT JUST SEEMS INFODUMPING

Reply

Mira Caplan
19:55 Jan 16, 2021

I just deleted that whole thread cuz...yeah. But thanks to both you and Nanika

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:33 Jan 15, 2021

MIRA I JUST RANTED TO AERIN WHAT DO I DOOOOOOO

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:20 Jan 15, 2021

Uh. What?

Reply

. .
23:20 Jan 15, 2021

I DUNNO WHY BUT IT JUST POURED OUT CHECK MY COMMENTS.

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:21 Jan 15, 2021

Uh....ok

Reply

. .
23:22 Jan 15, 2021

URGGGGGGG I DON'T REGRET IT BUT I DON'T THINK SHE'LL REACT WELL

Reply

02:47 Jan 16, 2021

Trust me, I’m currently smushed into the corner of my bottom bunk giggling as I stalk everyone’s comments. Nevermind, I just burst into laughter for no reason all all cuz I legit don’t know how to say this but... Don’t worry :) This is a bunch of crazy drama but it doesn’t even need to be that dramatic because even tho this has kinda been too inflated at this point, we’re all friends so it’s super chilllllll slight disagreements :) And I must say, stalking everyone’s comments and finding my name is super fun for some reason cuz I’m like... O...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:22 Jan 15, 2021

I can't find ittt

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
13:04 Jan 14, 2021

SQUEAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL OMG OMG OMG SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Daaaaaaaaaaaammm THE sTrUgGLLLLEEEEEE wowoowoows it's getting complicated Mira!!! so gooooooooooooood i can't believe Im almost gonna see meeeeee

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:12 Jan 14, 2021

THANK YOUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're coming up, don't worryyyyyyyyyy!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
13:25 Jan 14, 2021

omg you finally getting close to 10,000!!! if you would like.... go to like a deep, dark corner on one of my first stories and one of our longest threads together and spam... after that delete the post so nobody can downvote it!

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:28 Jan 14, 2021

Ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
13:28 Jan 14, 2021

Ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
23:39 Jan 15, 2021

hey hey hey hey read my *updated* bio :D:D::D:D:D:D

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:40 Jan 15, 2021

k!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:40 Jan 15, 2021

k!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:41 Jan 15, 2021

GoL!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Nainika Gupta
22:36 Jan 18, 2021

yesss ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:41 Jan 15, 2021

GoL!!!!!!!!!!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
TJ Squared
15:42 Mar 10, 2021

ooh the betrayer XDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:43 Mar 10, 2021

YASSS

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
15:43 Mar 10, 2021

YASSS

Reply

TJ Squared
15:51 Mar 10, 2021

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Nainika Gupta
18:11 Jan 18, 2021

MIRA I LIED I couldn't help myself with a part 6 CHECK IT OUTTTTT

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:24 Jan 19, 2021

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASPPPP

Reply

Nainika Gupta
21:10 Jan 19, 2021

YEAH I KNOW

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:24 Jan 19, 2021

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASPPPP

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kristin Neubauer
22:50 Jan 15, 2021

I know I've said this before, but I love how you switch POVs....the story is already teeming with action but changing POVs rounds it out so enticingly. Keep 'em coming!

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:21 Jan 15, 2021

I might do another from Riva's perspective in the future...it all depends on what I end up writing. Thank you!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:21 Jan 15, 2021

I might do another from Riva's perspective in the future...it all depends on what I end up writing. Thank you!!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Maya -
16:12 Jan 15, 2021

Would you like to play skribble again at 2:30? :) Megan and Riddhi are playing today.

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:21 Jan 15, 2021

Sure!!! :D

Reply

Maya -
16:21 Jan 15, 2021

Yayyyyy!!! :D

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:26 Jan 15, 2021

:p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
16:26 Jan 15, 2021

:p

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
23:28 Jan 14, 2021

Heloooooo I need help with my story kingdom names QwQ So for nature I have Oria, for air I have Aeros, for water I have Limus and for fire I have Pyroc. Any ideas on how I could make them betterrrrr?

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:32 Jan 14, 2021

Oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Ok. Oria means "golden" in Latin. (I just looked all of these up) Maybe you could incorporate that in? Like with mining or something? Or riches? I just imagine this ancient-Greek- temple- inspired golden palace with vines twisted around the columns. Idk... Limus...uhm...that does feel flowy, but also sharp. Remember, the name is just as important as the place. Pyroc just sounds very earthy, with the hard consonant at the end. I do like it, though. (What I do is look up "names that mean ___" and some pretty cool ...

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:38 Jan 14, 2021

OooOooOoo That is such a good idea. OMG I CAN LITERALLY IMAGINE THATTT okieeeeee Hmm alright. That is true, Imma do some more "research" lmao Oohhhh I will definitely do that, thankssssss!!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUU

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:44 Jan 14, 2021

NP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDD Looking up references really helps. Like, "fantasy golden palace" or "fantasy world," even, on Google. TONSSSSSSSSSS of inspiring stuff pops up.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
23:38 Jan 14, 2021

OooOooOoo That is such a good idea. OMG I CAN LITERALLY IMAGINE THATTT okieeeeee Hmm alright. That is true, Imma do some more "research" lmao Oohhhh I will definitely do that, thankssssss!!!!!!!!! THANK YOUUUUUUU

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
23:48 Jan 14, 2021

For fire, what about Aithne or Egan?

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:50 Jan 14, 2021

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Aithne. I LOVE THAT!!! I have a minor character named Eithne Celeis in Alden, but she's like.....super minor. Aithne is SO AWESOME YEAS USE THAT ASAP

Reply

Kate Reynolds
23:51 Jan 14, 2021

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! COOLLLLLL

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:55 Jan 14, 2021

XDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:55 Jan 14, 2021

XDDDDDDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:50 Jan 14, 2021

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh, Aithne. I LOVE THAT!!! I have a minor character named Eithne Celeis in Alden, but she's like.....super minor. Aithne is SO AWESOME YEAS USE THAT ASAP

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
20:55 Jan 14, 2021

The Marshmallows will be disbanding...

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:57 Jan 14, 2021

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????????????????????????????????????

Reply

. .
20:58 Jan 14, 2021

I decided to not upvote people anymore because of what Proveme Wrong said.

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:02 Jan 14, 2021

WHAT DiD THEY saYyyy

Reply

. .
21:04 Jan 14, 2021

https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/proveme-wrong/

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:07 Jan 14, 2021

UUUUUUUGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
20:13 Jan 14, 2021

PART 5 IS OUT

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:02 Jan 15, 2021

I LARB ITTT

Reply

Nainika Gupta
00:09 Jan 15, 2021

yessssssssssssss

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:10 Jan 15, 2021

IT. IS. GREAT.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
00:10 Jan 15, 2021

IT. IS. GREAT.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
15:52 Jan 14, 2021

NEW THREAD. Mira, if you feel like this again and you don't let it out it's not going to go well. Please tell me so I can try and help, because I'm really close by and I'm here.

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:56 Jan 14, 2021

I feel very marshamllow-y, and that is good. (Luke, it's all. the. time. Usually it's just buried in the very depths of my mind or in some mind trash bin somewhere. But it has a way of creeping back out.)

Reply

. .
15:56 Jan 14, 2021

Wanna facetime at lunch??

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:57 Jan 14, 2021

My mom might need her phone, but if I can, yeah

Reply

. .
15:58 Jan 14, 2021

:D

Reply

Mira Caplan
15:59 Jan 14, 2021

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo..............hi

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
02:06 Jan 14, 2021

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG I LOVE THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The descriptions are done SO WELL!!! Btw, I'm working on a fantasy as well!!! (It's not the best though lol)

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:12 Jan 14, 2021

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT T'WILL BE AMAXING, I'M SURE!!

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:13 Jan 14, 2021

NPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANNKKKKKKK YOUUUUU! :DDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:14 Jan 14, 2021

:)))))

Reply

Kate Reynolds
13:16 Jan 14, 2021

:>>>>>>

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kate Reynolds
13:16 Jan 14, 2021

:>>>>>>

Reply

Mira Caplan
13:25 Jan 14, 2021

:D What did you think of your very brief scene with Raya???

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wait... am i theirn's friend? or luke's?

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:48 Jan 22, 2021

you aren't in it yet... you will beeeee!

Reply

ayyayayayayayayya but whos frien am iiiiii uh- XD

Reply

Mira Caplan
20:52 Jan 22, 2021

uhmmm...neither? idkkkkkk. You COULD be Therin's friend. Also, I'm like 99% sure who I'm talking to, but what was your former name? Sorry, didn't catch up with ANY of thr recent Reedsy info XD

Reply

CELSTEEEEEEEEEE Okie, therin XDDDD

Reply

Mira Caplan
21:04 Jan 22, 2021

thought sooooooooo XD K! You might not be in it for a reaaaaaaaaaaaally long while, since they're currently in the arena, but okkk!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

CELSTEEEEEEEEEE Okie, therin XDDDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
20:48 Jan 22, 2021

you aren't in it yet... you will beeeee!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Kate Reynolds
23:16 Jan 21, 2021

OMG THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH FOR INCLUDING ME IN YOUR BIOOOOOOOOOOOO BESTIE!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD <33333333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maya -
17:54 Jan 20, 2021

Hey Mira, would you like to play skribble later today at 2:30 EST? :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

You wanna play scribble with me and maya?

Reply

Mira Caplan
00:19 Jan 21, 2021

Sorry, won't be able to for a while...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
00:19 Jan 21, 2021

Sorry, won't be able to for a while...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Maya -
16:28 Jan 20, 2021

I’m doing a science-fiction themed reedsy-cast story and I would like to put you in it if you want. If you want to be in the story, there are just a few questions that I need you to answer. Questions: Alien’s Name (either your name or it could be different): Alien’s size: Alien’s color (can be any color or combination of colors): Alien’s special features (horns, tail, wings, tentacles, fur, scales, fins, etc.): Any other details about their physical appearance: Personality: Alien’s Planet of Origin (can be real or fictional): Any special ab...

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
00:45 Jan 19, 2021

hi frien. tis jennie here. I AM NOW CHERRY. :DDDD like mah new name?

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.