26 comments

Fantasy Friendship

Hell is truly a good place. Take it from a person who has been there for twelve decades.

Hey again- this is Iris. Iris Jones- the werewolf. I am rather tamed now, actually. The devil who took me away was rather kind. What was his name again…? Ah, yes- James. We had to first go and meet his friend, the angel. Benjamin.

“Hey, Ben!” James called out as soon as we reached his doorstep on earth. A clearly sleepy and irritated person answered the door. “What is it this time, James? I swear, if it is another of your pranks, I’m gonna turn you into a toad or- OH.”

He had finally noticed me.

“So you brought a guest. Very well,” he said, turning around. His wings sprouted instantly from his back and he started walking (and floating) more comfortably. I was rather amused, you know. An angel and a devil- friends - who knew? They seemed to know each other since forever. James hugged his friend. “This is the guy I was talking about- Benjamin. Ben, this is Iris Jones, and she is a werewolf.”

Ben shrugged his friend away while serving me tea and looked directly into my eyes. “I see it,” he sighed, rubbing his temple. “You have been subject to excessively severe experimentation. No wonder you go crazy like that,” he remarked. I nodded sagely. “I wouldn’t exactly call my life perfect,” I added. “Being the daughter of a chief and all, people would think I was some spoiled princess.”

“You’re adopted,” James closed his eyes. I sat up straighter. “You know, I’d enjoy this conversation better if both of you stopped reading my mind and asked me direct questions,” I snapped. Even Ben had noticed my eyes slowly starting to change color.

“Alright, we get it,” he calmed me down. “But we want the whole truth.”

“You got it,” I replied determinedly.

It all felt awkward. It did not feel like an interview, as I was expecting it to be. I had told and retold my story in so many forms to so many people and creatures, but there never had been one satisfactory outcome. But with the two of these, everything felt fine. It was like I was home.

I watched on as minor earthquakes occurred between them, bets came and went within seconds, furniture flew across the house, and yet- they always laughed. No wonder it was so lively here.

After I finished my entire story, Ben fell deep into thought, staring at the ceiling. James threw an arm around my shoulder. “Let the old fossil do his bit of thinking,” he said, a warm, pleasant and hearty laugh rumbling from his throat. “I’ve got something more interesting to show you.”

I nodded and got up. The angel didn’t protest. We made a beeline for the kitchen, and James started rolling up his sleeves. “I expect you must have got minimal training in martial arts?” he inquired expectantly. I nodded, curious of what he was about to do.

“Well, I’m making pie for all of us, and I feel like the décor on it needs to be accomplished by a bit of skillful fisting and cutting,” he smirked. I looked nonplussed. He was talking in all seriousness. “You’re… not joking,” I said weakly, and burst out laughing. He smiled too, and he turned around to let his wings cover me. “There you go,” he said gently. “You were looking a bit shaken back there. I’m glad you smiled.”

I looked up. He had done all of this for me. “I… thanks, James,” I responded, nearly choking over my own words. How much had I mistaken about devils?

I turned towards the pie in preparation. “Let’s get this all beat and cut up. I really want to try it, now that you have mentioned it.”

He nodded and stepped back, and I quickly and quietly did my job.

“You finally found a candidate for the pie, huh?” Ben said, appearing from behind us. “I have reached a conclusion.”

Both of us twirled around. “What is it?” we asked in unison. Ben hung his head. “I’m afraid you’ll have to stay in stasis for a long time, Miss Jones. You’re not even pure werewolf.”

I was shocked to stillness. “Wh-what do you mean by that?” I asked, a nervous tinge to my voice. He called me closer. “You weren’t even human before. Your creation was purely artificial. Can’t you see that? You are composed purely of moonbeams of the full moon.”

I lost my composure. “WHY ON EARTH DO I HAVE TO GET NEWS LIKE THIS EVERY TIME I TRY TO STAY CALM?” I roared, clearly losing my head. James looked worried. “Ben- why did you-” he began, but I cut him off with a howl. However, it didn’t seem like Ben was going to stand any of this kind of nonsense. He snapped his fingers and my limbs were instantly immobile. I struggled and gasped within the firm, invisible hold.

“You better be happy I did not have your soul sucked out. According to Heaven and Hell, you are an abnormality in the system, and you ought to be eliminated immediately. Do you not see what we are trying to do?”

I closed my eyes again. “Okay, fine,” I exhaled, and the atmosphere in the room relaxed considerably. Ben started pacing around. “I know it will be difficult, but James will sneak you into Hell. I will have to freeze you, your functions and your mind. Hell has a convenient atmosphere to hold you for decades without being discovered.”

“I see,” I sighed, resigning myself to my fate. Ben smiled. “It’s fine, you idiot. It will be slightly painful, but then you won’t know it once you fall asleep. It will be like a good, long slumber. And James will be watching over you.”

I looked up. “Why am I being held like this, though? I mean, why don’t you kill me or… let me live a natural course of life in prison?”

James chuckled. “If you haven’t figured it out, we’re a bit different from our fellow angels and devils. We do things differently. We found out that you have a good heart, and it might help you become a true organism with the help of stasis for at least… let’s see… twelve decades.”

My eyes went round and wide. “Will you guys also live that long?” I asked. Both of them shared a look. I must have stumbled onto an inside joke. “We have to, otherwise the others will be short of workers,” James explained, reverting to straight-faced devil mode. “After you come out from stasis, it will be easier for us to turn you back into a human.”

I could not believe my ears. I was being offered a chance. “I’ll take it,” I gulped. “I will go into… whatever-that-word-is, if it means that I will be able to become angry without being afraid first.”

Both of them smiled warmly at me and James closed my eyes. “Sleep, and we will take care of the rest,” he murmured soothingly into my ear. I nodded trustingly.

They were the first real friends I had made. 

October 03, 2020 03:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

26 comments

Andrew Krey
17:28 Oct 03, 2020

Hi Pranati, another instalment of the adventures of Ben and James :) I liked the idea of how Iris was created. I spotted a couple of typos: "We found out that have a good heart" - missing "you". "“I see,” I sighed, resigning myself to fate." - this may just be a phrasing choice, but I feel it should be "my fate". Hope the feedback was useful.

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:22 Oct 04, 2020

Yeah, it really was useful! I wouldn't have noticed them if you hadn't told me. I'll fix them now.

Reply

Andrew Krey
22:32 Oct 04, 2020

Great, glad I could help

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
10:07 Oct 03, 2020

You have beautiful flowing command of scenes. Everything fits so well that I have nothing to suggest improving. You managed to fit the tale across three prompts and make it seem like you knew the prompts ahead of time, the story continues so naturally. Well, I lied a little, but the fix is very easy. Every time the speaker changes, you should start a new paragraph. That's it, just a formatting difference you can do in a couple of minutes.

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:18 Oct 04, 2020

Okay! I'll try to do it when I have the time. Probably now. I have been working on that little part since a long time. Thanks for pointing it out! I'm really grateful. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
07:31 Nov 10, 2020

Heya there ^^ i saw that ya were back, so welcome back. I was wondering though if ya could maybe check out "Otherworldly repairs" and then leave some feedback on it?

Reply

Authoring Studio
07:32 Nov 10, 2020

Yeah sure! I was just going through it :D

Reply

B. W.
07:33 Nov 10, 2020

alright thanks, im excited to see what ya think ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:01 Oct 18, 2020

heyo

Reply

Authoring Studio
13:28 Oct 23, 2020

Heyo! I'm soooo sorry I am replying so late :( I had health issues, which is why I decided to go inactive for a while. But I'll soon be back in business! It was great seeing that you reached out to me. Thank you so much! You just made me feel wanted :')

Reply

B. W.
15:21 Oct 23, 2020

that's completely fine, if you have some health issues or something then you should rest or do whatever until your alright.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:28 Oct 11, 2020

Hola

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shae Greyfeather
17:51 Oct 10, 2020

This story is pretty interesting

Reply

Authoring Studio
13:21 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you so much! :D

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
23:27 Oct 27, 2020

You're welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shae Greyfeather
17:51 Oct 10, 2020

Nice, have you written how she got to this point though?

Reply

Authoring Studio
13:21 Oct 23, 2020

Oh yeah, please check out my previous submissions! I'm so sorry this reply is coming so late, I was having health issues :(

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
18:42 Oct 23, 2020

Don't worry about it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jade Young
15:03 Oct 04, 2020

This is an interesting take on why someone would go into stasis😊 I liked the whole supernatural element to it, and the dynamic between your characters. Very well written😉 PS: I'm so happy to see a fellow STAY on this site❤ who's your bias? What's your fave song?

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:30 Oct 04, 2020

1. Thanks for reading and appreciating my story. I'm happy to have so many friends here! 2. STAAAAAAYYYYY! 3. Proudly Felix biased heh 4. Fav song? Too difficult to decide, but I'd rather place Eezy on first place. I love the rap :D

Reply

Jade Young
16:35 Oct 04, 2020

Omisoul yesssss❤ Felix is such a cutie😊 mine is Jisung 🌚 I'm high key torn between Miroh and Easy as my fave, so I get you

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:51 Oct 04, 2020

Yeah, even Back Door dropped on me like a bomb :D

Reply

Jade Young
17:06 Oct 04, 2020

Back Door and God's Menu showed me flames ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
13:42 Oct 04, 2020

I can't remember which stories i've read from you but they were still really great and so was this one. I'll be sure to check out the rest of your stories as well when i can. I just really liked everything about this story and i think that you did a great job with it. 10/10 :)

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:26 Oct 04, 2020

Thank you so much! It means a lot that you read them regularly :') *getting teary-eyed*

Reply

B. W.
16:50 Oct 04, 2020

No problem ^^ i'll check out the rest as well

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.