Contest #177 shortlist ⭐️

56 comments

Adventure Drama Funny

There’s no sweeter sound in the world than your name.


Until it doesn’t work for you.   I started as Sean Murphy but ended up as Albert Schweissfuss . This is my tale of an immigrant’s life. 


=====


……”There’s no future here for a young lad” 


Ma stated the obvious. I was fourteen, full of romantic ideas of a successful future. Ours was just another family cursed with extreme poverty. She couldn’t afford to show any pity, she had to encourage me to leave home, though her heart must have been breaking.


………” You have to go, son. Find a better life”.


It started with rain, even more than usual. The west of Ireland was devastated, the potato blight was now in its second year. Almost overnight a dense blue fog blanketed the puddled potato fields. 


A sickening odor forecasting death and destruction penetrated every window and door. Nothing escaped its vile reach. When the wind and rain ceased the eerie stillness was worse. The crop was ruined and destroyed by the fungus.   


One million died and two million emigrated. 


England sent some Indian corn and maize, but it was poorly ground causing painful digestive problems.  Too weak to man the boats and haul heavy nets of fish, thousands gave up and perished. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.  I knew there was a better way.



Walking out the door to hitch a ride when possible and walking to Belfast gave me a purpose.


=====


Several attempts to be hired legally as a cabin boy in Belfast aboard ships bound for the new world failed. Watching the line of emigrants, desperate, close to tears, a couple with three kids about to board looked quickly at me, seemed to grasp my situation. I can’t understand to this day how they appeared at that moment. Nodding meaningfully, the father shepherded me into the midst of the kids to avoid detection and I boarded looking like part of the group. They were second class passengers and once aboard, I snuck into steerage. Before we parted, the mother hugged me whispering quietly,


……”God be with you, son”


Although hungry, cold and filthy, I did survive that long sea journey. The exhilaration of being among throngs of people talking of a new start in a magical new land with floating elevators and exotic animals, I felt welcomed with the warmth of a family’s embrace.



Bawdy jokes, vulgar ditties leaving some in tears of laughter. and always afterwards the rosary. A few even fancied themselves as talented singers. We’d suffer Danny Boy or Galway Bay until someone yelled: 


…….” Ah, shut yer friggin mouth, Paddy. Yer a pain in me arse.”



Mary Ann Rafferty told the same ghost story over and over. 


…….”Fr. Ambrose, a lovely young priest was walking on a lonely road, at dusk…


…….” ooh at dusk,” we’d all repeat.


……..when there appeared a terrible old hag, oh she was filthy with a big crooked nose and a loose manner. She tempted this young beautiful priest. Knowing ‘twas the divil himself he said in a loud voice:


……”.in God’s name who are ye, and what do you want? (This with a hushed tone and beatific glance upwards.)


……..”And in a flash, she was gone.”


At fifteen I was curious thinking why wouldn’t the devil have the sense to make the temptress more attractive.   


=====


The first obstacle to overcome was on landing in New York, Ellis Island. Tagged with information placing me as a child of the family that helped me as a stowaway, I passed through medical check. After a cursory look at my ID. a six-second check of eyes, and lungs and a question to determine mental alertness, with knees shaking, I heard:


……” he’s young enough, he’ll make it. Let him through.”



 After that, it was every man for himself. Determined and full of youthful exuberance, I lined up for hours until with terror I approached officials wearing uniforms. In front of a barrier, and behind that two blue painted doors marked Immigration and the other Deportation. I started praying.  


It was chaos. All I remember is shouting of strange-sounding names, someone answering with hand raised a quick signing of papers, then either deliverance or rejection through a blue-painted door. That door, the one marked Immigration, was the gateway to the world I craved, but lacked the necessary paperwork, the ID tag was insufficient.


What happened next was either a miracle or the result of overworked, careless entry officials.


……..”Schweissfuss, Albert”


Nobody responded, hesitating for a moment, his name was repeated no one answered so I raised my hand.


I entered the United States of America with a visa in a stranger’s name.  


=====


From the barge to lower Manhattan, I held my face up to the sun and breathed the air which felt clean. The shock of new sights and sounds. Seagulls, dozens and dozens making such a racket. Hard to describe what I was feeling, both anxious and radiating supreme confidence at the same time. Hearing the word freedom I wasn’t sure what it meant but the sunshine on my face and the birds flying overhead I thought it must mean heaven. Passing the Statue of Liberty, dozens of adults cried holding their hands to the sky.   


=====


Washing dishes in a cafeteria was my first job. It paid real money plus tasty food. Reuniting with the family who first befriended me, I paid a few cents rent to share their two-roomed apartment. They were glad of the extra money, and I had nowhere else. It worked fine.  


Meeting dozens of other immigrants, Irish, German, and Jewish. I soon learned my identification papers bearing the name Albert Schweissfuss sounded hilarious in German. It translates as Sweatfoot! The Authorities must have mangled the original name, to render it unrecognizable. I said a guilty prayer for the victim hoping things worked out for him.



Fortunately, Fr Schmidt, pastor at St. Peter’s Church, in lower Manhattan, a true friend, and a German immigrant himself, caught it early before I had to use it.


…….”I can fix this with the bishop, and a couple of bottles of altar wine next time he visits. We can change it to the middle letters only, Weiss, leaving the first name unchanged”.


And that’s how I became. Al Weiss.  


=====


Yes, that’s me. actor, writer, plumber, painter, and tailor I’m all of them. I’m probably even you, dear reader. Part of the greatest wave of human migration the world had ever seen.


I never saw my mother again, but I know she loved and was proud of me. I can imagine her saying….



…….”I knew he’d fall on his feet.”



My other Mother is the Lady standing in New York Harbor. I often stop by and chat, like I’m talking to Ma. I have to be careful I’m using new expressions like swell. Ma will notice I’m adapting and forgetting the old Irish cuss words.


I never get tired of reading:


 …Give me your tired, your poor

     Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free

…..The wretched refuse

…..Your teeming shore

…..Send these, the homeless tempest-tossed to me

…..I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

December 20, 2022 01:22

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

56 comments

Tommy Goround
19:26 Dec 26, 2022

This is good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Miles
06:35 Dec 26, 2022

I agree that this could be a fantastic opening to a book. Then you could develop all that colourful dialogue in the ship and other striking visuals. Great choice to pair Albert's mother with the statue of liberty. If you played around with this for a book or another competition entry, I think you could change the structure about to have him seeing the statue first and then the flashback to his mum. It would be even more visually and thematically striking. Enjoyed this.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
17:10 Dec 26, 2022

How could I ask for more. Rebecca? Great compliment to have your suggestions. And sews the potential seed. Thankyou so much Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
21:34 Dec 24, 2022

I presume whoever had the name died or missed their ship. This is set during the potato famine I presume? Ireland’s even worse version of the Scottish Highland Clearances that sent celts all over the world for a better life. Interesting thought to just start over with a new name. It would be awful if it turned out the real Albert Schweissfuss was a wanted man or in deep debt he got stuck with later.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
21:43 Dec 24, 2022

Graham. This made my day. You really are creative. I never considered the ramifications just imagined that someone didn’t recognise his name after the Americans butchered it. Happened to lots of people. Great comments

Reply

Mary Lehnert
21:56 Dec 24, 2022

I should thank you. You might have given me the rest of the story of Al Weiss

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:18 Dec 24, 2022

You’re welcome. Send me a link when it’s written.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John K Adams
23:26 Dec 23, 2022

Mary, You've written many nice comments on my stories. Well, back atcha! The many tales of immigrants' bear telling now that first great wave has passed into history. They keep coming, seeking a better life. They bring the spirit that built our country. I'm looking forward to reading all your stories. You write well.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
00:31 Dec 24, 2022

John, That is a wonderful acknowledgment. Thankyou

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy B
17:09 Dec 23, 2022

I enjoyed this story so, so much. The premise, the small details, the dialogue are completely charming and realistic. Thank you for sharing!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
17:20 Dec 23, 2022

Thank you so much. Katy. Although my characters were all fictitious the generosity shown to me personally and millions more as immigrants is proof of the goodness and decency of people .

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
18:23 Dec 21, 2022

Wow, Mary. This story rings true on so many levels, and it contains so much: humor, the philosophies of the poor, pathos, immigrant pride and resourcefulness, the hand of God at work (along with a couple of bottles of wine), and the dreams that the young never seem to run out of. You certainly packed a lot into a little story. I'm surprised that you haven't been shortlisted at least once, Mary. You really have stories worthy of that, and more. I think this is one of your best and I look forward to more from you. It's always a joy to read yo...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
18:32 Dec 21, 2022

You really got what I wanted to say, Delbert Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
06:53 Dec 21, 2022

Mary this was a wonderful story. It was so easy to follow, and what a journey to go on! Immigration is the perfect topic for this prompt. I agree with Chris, this could certainly be developed into more. There is so much story to tell her, we need a book of it!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
13:42 Dec 21, 2022

Can only say thank you for the enormous boost Anne

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
13:59 Dec 21, 2022

You are so welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
03:15 Dec 20, 2022

omg Mary, this makes me feel so dang patriotic! Especially this part: " ”Schweissfuss, Albert” Nobody responded, hesitating for a moment, his name was repeated no one answered so I raised my hand. God be praised I entered the United States of America with a visa in a stranger’s name." YES! Reel in that clever guy, we've got a spot for him right here! :) This story was just so lovely a picture from the melting pot; thank you for that, and also for this absolutely delightful double entendre: "Ours was just another family cursed with extreme...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
03:19 Dec 20, 2022

And there’s no sweeter comment than one from you, Wendy and so quickly . Thankyou so very much

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.