253 comments

General

To Bella,

Did you remember the sunset that we last saw together, the sunset that caused your death?

Did you know that the dazzling orange colour changed to a night filled with grey clouds, just a moment after you breathed your last breath?

Yeah, of course, you wouldn’t know that. You would’ve been dead by then. Anyone who had seen the scene would know that you died right away.

Your blood formed a huge puddle that filled up the ground. The blood continued to flow from the back of your head, even when you already closed your eyes. 

Your favourite lip balm no longer showcased your favourite pink; it turned bright red from your blood, trickling down from your forehead.  

Your beautiful face and smooth skin were completely gone; the glass shards from the car had created cuts all over them, scarring every single bit of them.

And under those grey clouds, I ignored the coldness of your body and the pain on my own body as I hugged you for one last time.

And under those grey clouds, I shed the tears while screaming like a crazy man as I mourned the loss of my first love, the life that I had taken away.

And under those grey clouds, I sniffled when our bodies parted, letting mine lean on the closest tree in the bottom of the cliff while waiting for help to come.

And despite the darkness, I could observe the painful expression of your father as he saw reached the gruesome scene. And despite the darkness, I could tell he was holding his tears back as he saw your condition. 

And despite the lack of light in that forest where our car landed, I could see the tears flowing on your mother’s cheek. That tears brought me to kneel and put my head on top of the damp soil. That tears prompted mine, who had stopped a while ago, to flow again. That tears made me to continuously utter the same words from the bottom of my heart.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m really sorry.”

“I’m really, really, really sorry that this happened.”

And my tears flowed harder when I recalled the few moments just before the car crash. 

And even harder when I noticed my huge mistake, driving that blue sedan off the cliff; a mistake that took your life, a mistake that I wished to reverse. 

And even harder than ever when I lift my head, looking at your parents with the greatest guilt that I had ever felt in my life.

At that time, I expected to receive all sort of punishments. 

I expected to hear curse words down my way. Yet your mother stood there, crying without letting out a single word.

I expected to receive slapping, punches, jabs, kicks. Yet your father gently pulled my arms to stand on my two feet instead of sitting on the ground.

I expected a nagging, asking why and how the accident even happened. Yet your mother hugged me, whispered to me in between her tears, “It’s okay, Kevin. We know it’s not intentional.”

I shook my head in reply. “I know, but I couldn’t possibly bring the dead back to life.” I loosened the hug and shifted my gaze to the man in the black robe. “So, I’ll do anything you ask at any time of my life. Please, let me atone my sin, Pastor.”

And that became the start of my life without you, Bella.

Pastor Gerald opened the trunk of his car, tossed a towel to dry my body from the rain. Then, he asked me to follow him, so I did.

Then he brought me to a little townhouse with a brown leather couch. After a discussion and a cup of tea, he asked me to stay with my older brother, the man whom I had never seen for the past five years. Yet, it was your father’s request, so I followed it.

Then four days went by. Your pale, dying face was slowly fading away from my mind, leaving me with the lingering guilt inside my heart. It was then a call from your father came, asking me to attend your funeral. It pained me to have to see your lifeless body once again, yet I knew I had to come.

And to my surprise, I saw you on that day.

Yes, you, the one who turned into a white shadow that couldn’t be seen by others. The one who was hiding behind the tombstone, watching over your lifeless body laid in the coffin. 

Yes, you, the one who became a spiritual being who floated at the back of your father, the man with a purple-coloured sash. The man who led the funeral ceremony; the man who didn’t shed a single drop of tear while seeing your body lowered into the ground.

And to my surprise, your father issued his last request on that day.

“Take care of yourself, Kevin. Live your life well.”

Yes, sounded simple. Too simple. I even asked for an even greater punishment to be forgiven. Yet, Pastor Gerald flashed a faint smile, tapped my shoulder, and walked away from the discussion.

Yes, sounded simple, but it turned to be a hard feat. 

There were days where I couldn’t sleep as the memory of the accident replayed again and again inside my mind. The memory that I wished to forget, the memory that scarred me for life.

There were days where I regretted my stupidity to bring you to the mountaintop. The feelings that raised a hope to turn back time to when I could find you alive and well.

There were days where I could hear voices inside my head, blaming my actions. The voices that drained happiness out of my daily life, slowly scraping my will to live. The voices that made me realized that I was living with a huge burden; the voices that made me realized: this last request would never end until the day I die.

And so, eight years after your death, on one cloudy evening, I stood on the edge of the bridge.

Yes, I was scared of dying, but I had gotten too tired to continue on living.

Yes, I remembered the imagery of your lifeless body, your floating soul; but that wasn’t enough to stop myself from jumping to the river.

Yes, the way the water entered my nose and mouth was hurting me; but that was more bearable than shouldering this burden for decades to come.

Yet, that green-eyed girl pulled me out of them, both the water and the pain of living as she struck me with a single sentence.

“I don’t know what your experiences were, but don’t throw away your life!”

And hearing that saying under those grey clouds, I saw a glimmer of hope in life.

And hearing that sentence under those grey clouds, I realized someone appreciated my life, much better than myself.

And sitting beside her under the same grey clouds, I cried once again, opened my heart once again, promised myself to attempt living once again.

And so, I started to move on, took care of myself, and living well, atoning the sin for the rest of my life.

And as the grey clouds turned white, my happy days without you began.

August 13, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

253 comments

16:32 Aug 17, 2020

Wow. Haunting and beautiful. It is strange how sometimes forgiveness hurts more than the guilt we carry. I got a bit confused near the end and the green-eyed girl pulls him out of the river. I wasn't sure if it was a real person or if it was an hallucination of Bella. Superbly written!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:33 Aug 18, 2020

Haha, if you read my previous submission, "A Very, Very Dark Green" you would know exactly about this green-eyed girl :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Christina Hall
16:31 Aug 17, 2020

Good story, you did well showing his grief immediately after the incident.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:34 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying this guilt-driven tale, Christina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
14:57 Aug 17, 2020

This was beautiful! I was hooked right from the first line, and it was perfectly paced. Wonderful piece of work.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:34 Aug 18, 2020

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Lynn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faith Hunter
14:37 Aug 17, 2020

I love how you formed the beginning. Great job!! Love, Faith

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:35 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Faith! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
13:57 Aug 17, 2020

Holy crap! The first sentence was so good! I can tell that you're experimenting with writing styles. Great job! :D

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:36 Aug 18, 2020

Haha, I am! If you've read my first ever submission on Reedsy, you'll notice my writing styles have changed a lot... :')

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:43 Aug 18, 2020

I think I did too, honestly. If you compare 'Marvel Freak' to 'Second Chances' there's a very big difference (at least I think so!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Var .
13:01 Aug 17, 2020

Amazing story. I liked the way you wrote the story. P.S. Where did you get the anime profile pic??

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:37 Aug 18, 2020

Oh, I used a mobile app for my profile picture, Pitzmaker :D

Reply

Var .
13:32 Aug 18, 2020

ohk..

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
August Jett
12:15 Aug 17, 2020

Wow, wow, wow. This was captivating on so many levels, and you displayed his grief so well. What I really like is that he was able to move on at the end. Amazing job, can't wait for your next story :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:37 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Helen! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Kingston
12:14 Aug 17, 2020

This is so vivid and beautifully written. It flows so well. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:38 Aug 18, 2020

I'm glad to hear that. Thank you for reading, Cara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
11:50 Aug 17, 2020

Really nice story! I loved how you showed Kevin's pain. If you can, can you check out my others stories? Thanks!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:38 Aug 18, 2020

Hi Maya, thank you for your kind words! And sure, will check yours out when I have the chance :D

Reply

Maya W.
13:26 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Esa Manley
11:27 Aug 17, 2020

I liked the way the beginning rhymed. I was hoping that would continue throughout but realise it is really hard to do. It was a surefire way to draw me in though. Well done.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:39 Aug 18, 2020

How should I say... I'm making this somewhere between poetry and prose, hence the repetition, yet flowed like a story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deepti Kumari
11:22 Aug 17, 2020

I enjoyed your story. Yes, sometimes we made such a mistake which can't be erased and we have to live with it. But, we should not stop living. It is better not to repeat it. Make a life with less regrets.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:40 Aug 18, 2020

That's true... I agree with you... Thank you for enjoying the story, Deepti!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
10:58 Aug 17, 2020

This was hauntingly beautiful, melancholic and sad and yet full of hope. I really felt for Kevin, and I'm glad that he realised life was still worth living at the end. Your last sentence really made the story for me. It's nice to think that he could be happy even without the people he loved so much. Beautiful. :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:41 Aug 18, 2020

Thank you for your kind words, Beth! I'm happy that readers could sympathize with Kevin's emotions... :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miles Gatling
10:35 Aug 17, 2020

Great work! That's a lot of blood...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:41 Aug 18, 2020

I'm picturing it to be that way (I don't know if that is actually realistic, though!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Angel Bunny
20:53 Aug 16, 2020

This story is amazing! I can feel the writer's sense of loss really deeply. How you portray his emotion is amazing. I felt myself on the verge of tears while reading this.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:34 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the emotions, Angel! I'm glad that it conveyed well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
16:55 Aug 16, 2020

I read it very thoroughly,your ideas are good.it's your very own.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:35 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for reading, Tariq! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Abhishek Todmal
11:42 Aug 16, 2020

Nice job, Deborah. I like the use of small and concise descriptions. It's a really beautiful way of writing. Thank you for checking my story out once more !

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:35 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying this story, Abishek!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
04:40 Aug 16, 2020

You asked me to check out your story so here I am! That was quite poignant and very sad. I liked your descriptions and I think you captured the emotions very well. :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:35 Aug 17, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story! Thank you for reading :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mackenzie Meetz
03:04 Aug 16, 2020

Your work is beautiful. So emotional and tender and ugh. You should make this a book

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:36 Aug 17, 2020

I'm thinking to make this "colour" series into a book someday! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
00:01 Aug 16, 2020

I love how this connects with your other stories. Stylistically, I enjoyed the repetition in the final paragraphs.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:36 Aug 17, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed the story as well as the structure, Jessica! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akane Tsunemori
19:10 Aug 15, 2020

Really well written. The expression of guilt felt very to heart. How a single sentence can change the life of the other person is very well portrayed. Please read my story too and leave some constructive feedback. Thank you! https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/54/submissions/29792/

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:38 Aug 17, 2020

I think you are the first one to mention about how the sentence can change the protagonist's life! And sure, I will check yours out :D

Reply

Akane Tsunemori
12:44 Aug 17, 2020

Words are very powerful. They can both give and take away the other person's courage. Thanks for reading my story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.