253 comments

General

To Bella,

Did you remember the sunset that we last saw together, the sunset that caused your death?

Did you know that the dazzling orange colour changed to a night filled with grey clouds, just a moment after you breathed your last breath?

Yeah, of course, you wouldn’t know that. You would’ve been dead by then. Anyone who had seen the scene would know that you died right away.

Your blood formed a huge puddle that filled up the ground. The blood continued to flow from the back of your head, even when you already closed your eyes. 

Your favourite lip balm no longer showcased your favourite pink; it turned bright red from your blood, trickling down from your forehead.  

Your beautiful face and smooth skin were completely gone; the glass shards from the car had created cuts all over them, scarring every single bit of them.

And under those grey clouds, I ignored the coldness of your body and the pain on my own body as I hugged you for one last time.

And under those grey clouds, I shed the tears while screaming like a crazy man as I mourned the loss of my first love, the life that I had taken away.

And under those grey clouds, I sniffled when our bodies parted, letting mine lean on the closest tree in the bottom of the cliff while waiting for help to come.

And despite the darkness, I could observe the painful expression of your father as he saw reached the gruesome scene. And despite the darkness, I could tell he was holding his tears back as he saw your condition. 

And despite the lack of light in that forest where our car landed, I could see the tears flowing on your mother’s cheek. That tears brought me to kneel and put my head on top of the damp soil. That tears prompted mine, who had stopped a while ago, to flow again. That tears made me to continuously utter the same words from the bottom of my heart.

“I’m sorry.”

“I’m really sorry.”

“I’m really, really, really sorry that this happened.”

And my tears flowed harder when I recalled the few moments just before the car crash. 

And even harder when I noticed my huge mistake, driving that blue sedan off the cliff; a mistake that took your life, a mistake that I wished to reverse. 

And even harder than ever when I lift my head, looking at your parents with the greatest guilt that I had ever felt in my life.

At that time, I expected to receive all sort of punishments. 

I expected to hear curse words down my way. Yet your mother stood there, crying without letting out a single word.

I expected to receive slapping, punches, jabs, kicks. Yet your father gently pulled my arms to stand on my two feet instead of sitting on the ground.

I expected a nagging, asking why and how the accident even happened. Yet your mother hugged me, whispered to me in between her tears, “It’s okay, Kevin. We know it’s not intentional.”

I shook my head in reply. “I know, but I couldn’t possibly bring the dead back to life.” I loosened the hug and shifted my gaze to the man in the black robe. “So, I’ll do anything you ask at any time of my life. Please, let me atone my sin, Pastor.”

And that became the start of my life without you, Bella.

Pastor Gerald opened the trunk of his car, tossed a towel to dry my body from the rain. Then, he asked me to follow him, so I did.

Then he brought me to a little townhouse with a brown leather couch. After a discussion and a cup of tea, he asked me to stay with my older brother, the man whom I had never seen for the past five years. Yet, it was your father’s request, so I followed it.

Then four days went by. Your pale, dying face was slowly fading away from my mind, leaving me with the lingering guilt inside my heart. It was then a call from your father came, asking me to attend your funeral. It pained me to have to see your lifeless body once again, yet I knew I had to come.

And to my surprise, I saw you on that day.

Yes, you, the one who turned into a white shadow that couldn’t be seen by others. The one who was hiding behind the tombstone, watching over your lifeless body laid in the coffin. 

Yes, you, the one who became a spiritual being who floated at the back of your father, the man with a purple-coloured sash. The man who led the funeral ceremony; the man who didn’t shed a single drop of tear while seeing your body lowered into the ground.

And to my surprise, your father issued his last request on that day.

“Take care of yourself, Kevin. Live your life well.”

Yes, sounded simple. Too simple. I even asked for an even greater punishment to be forgiven. Yet, Pastor Gerald flashed a faint smile, tapped my shoulder, and walked away from the discussion.

Yes, sounded simple, but it turned to be a hard feat. 

There were days where I couldn’t sleep as the memory of the accident replayed again and again inside my mind. The memory that I wished to forget, the memory that scarred me for life.

There were days where I regretted my stupidity to bring you to the mountaintop. The feelings that raised a hope to turn back time to when I could find you alive and well.

There were days where I could hear voices inside my head, blaming my actions. The voices that drained happiness out of my daily life, slowly scraping my will to live. The voices that made me realized that I was living with a huge burden; the voices that made me realized: this last request would never end until the day I die.

And so, eight years after your death, on one cloudy evening, I stood on the edge of the bridge.

Yes, I was scared of dying, but I had gotten too tired to continue on living.

Yes, I remembered the imagery of your lifeless body, your floating soul; but that wasn’t enough to stop myself from jumping to the river.

Yes, the way the water entered my nose and mouth was hurting me; but that was more bearable than shouldering this burden for decades to come.

Yet, that green-eyed girl pulled me out of them, both the water and the pain of living as she struck me with a single sentence.

“I don’t know what your experiences were, but don’t throw away your life!”

And hearing that saying under those grey clouds, I saw a glimmer of hope in life.

And hearing that sentence under those grey clouds, I realized someone appreciated my life, much better than myself.

And sitting beside her under the same grey clouds, I cried once again, opened my heart once again, promised myself to attempt living once again.

And so, I started to move on, took care of myself, and living well, atoning the sin for the rest of my life.

And as the grey clouds turned white, my happy days without you began.

August 13, 2020 23:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

253 comments

02:13 Aug 21, 2020

Very poignant.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you, Bettina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Brittany Smith
20:49 Aug 19, 2020

Very moving about a very difficult topic. Great writing.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Brittany!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kat Stokes
13:49 Aug 19, 2020

What an emotive story and beautifully portrayed! It really tugged on my heartstrings. Keep up the wonderful writing :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:49 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading it. I'm glad that you enjoyed the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
05:51 Aug 19, 2020

This is an amazing story, Deborah and I'm so glad that u invited me over to read it. One thing which u could maybe work on: Write "Yeah, of course you wouldn't. You had been dead by then" instead of "Yeah, of course you wouldn't. You would've been dead by then". I'm sorry if I missed anything but I'm kinda in a rush rn. Keep up the good work:)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:50 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Batool! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alkaa Sharma
05:19 Aug 19, 2020

It's a beautiful expression

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:50 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you, Alka! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
03:36 Aug 19, 2020

Deborah, this story was amazing. I felt the emotions of the narrator. The story suited the prompt very much. The last line was wonderful. Keep writing. Can't wait for your next... Would you mind reading my new story " secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:50 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for enjoying the story, Keerththan! Sure, will check yours out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
PAMELA ABWAO
02:38 Aug 19, 2020

I enjoyed reading it . The emotions were so real. Would you make the main character have deep intrinsic questions like "Why me?" #just a thought

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:52 Aug 21, 2020

As in... why me who got this experience, or do you mean something else? If you could expand on that I'll be glad! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Josh C
00:40 Aug 19, 2020

Since you asked, I did come and have a read. It's...unique. More of a poem than a short-story, especially the first lines which all follow the same format, like a verse, and the imagery is very poetic. Although where the line is drawn between poem and story is probably somewhat arbitrary. It isn't what I would usually read, but it was clear what was happening and it was definitely emotional from the characters point of view. Well done!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:52 Aug 21, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the tale! Yes, I'm making it in between poetry and short story! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:20 Aug 18, 2020

This was dark, hypnotizing, and hopeful all in one. I don't know how you do it, but stories like this give me something to strive for in my own writing. I can easily see yours winning.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:53 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for your kind words, Gip! I'm glad that you enjoyed the emotional rollercoaster in this tale :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Buono
20:07 Aug 18, 2020

Amazing story. I actually had to hold back the tears, picturing myself in that moment. God forbid it ever happens. Beautiful prose and great picturing. Great story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:53 Aug 21, 2020

Yup, finger-cross that this stays as fiction. Thank you for enjoying the story, Chris! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jessica ✰
19:27 Aug 18, 2020

Oh my word, Deborah, this story is so emotion-filled and desperate. You are a great author and I think you do a great job at expounding on Kevin's grief. There was only one critique I have... 'The voices that made me realized that I was living with a huge burden; the voices that made me realized: this last request would never end until the day I die.' The one thing I noticed in this sentence was you said realized rather than realize. Super minor! Otherwise you did an amazing job on this! Jessica

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:54 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Jessica! Yup, missed that during the proofreading/editing... :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Simpson
19:25 Aug 18, 2020

Very beautiful, emotional, and full of passion!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:54 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading, Crystal! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
H. W. Autumn
18:54 Aug 18, 2020

Oh my g o s h. This story was so amazing and heartbreaking. Keep writing- this is awesome!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:54 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Blake Hogen
18:32 Aug 18, 2020

I really enjoyed the formatting of the story, the way it’s almost like a letter in that the protagonist addresses the dead like it were the living. I think that plays really well into how the protagonist deals with death in terms of others and self. Well done!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:55 Aug 21, 2020

I'm happy to see someone noticed this is, in fact, in a letter format! Thank you for enjoying the tale! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jewels 🌊🐅
17:53 Aug 18, 2020

You asked me to, So here I am! I love this story so much :D and can't wait to read more of your story's

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:55 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading and the support, Juliette! :D

Reply

Jewels 🌊🐅
17:51 Aug 22, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
15:32 Aug 18, 2020

Okay...this is a movie in my head that I cannot stop...Well done!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:56 Aug 21, 2020

If I could turn this into a movie/short movie of some kind... that would be really good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Megan Sutherland
14:52 Aug 18, 2020

I really liked this story! I love the dark turn you took at the end, but that the main character realized that he still had a lot to live for even after Bella's death. Great story, keep writing!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:56 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Megan! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suzanne Urowitz
13:01 Aug 18, 2020

So why is everyone picking on me?I typed I'll everyone says it's Ill but they are not correct.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Isabelle ~~
12:29 Aug 18, 2020

Wow! A lovely story. Very touching and emotional. I loved it! Hope to read more of your work :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:57 Aug 21, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, Isabelle! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
PAMELA ABWAO
12:23 Aug 18, 2020

You touched my emotions yet s made me realize that no matter what life is precious. I enjoyed reading the story. The end gives hope

Reply

Deborah Angevin
11:57 Aug 21, 2020

Yay, someone who realized the deeper meaning to this story! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.