Quarantine Competition (a Reedsy-Cast Short Story)

Submitted into Contest #71 in response to: Write about a group of people determined to win an award for making the biggest cookie ever.... view prompt

166 comments

Funny Teens & Young Adult

Note: Hey, all! Here’s my long-overdo Wrirate short story. That means this story features a Reedsy cast! A lot of my Wrirate friends have made this kind of thing (check out Zilla’s, B.W.’s, Amany’s, Rhonda’s, and Orenda’s!) so I decided to write one. Sadly, I can’t have as many main characters as there are close Wrirate friends, so there’s main characters, a secondary character (Bri, which is something B.W. has said I could call her [Hope is also a nickname, so there’s actually two props to my good friend B.W.]), and a bunch of mentions to other Reeders! This story was just for fun, so it’s not super serious or anything. Definitely not a solid attempt at the contest, lol. Enjoy!



It’s a beautiful winter day, and I’m bored.

   The sky is a light cerulean shade, shattered into fragments of blue by the long branches of the oak tree outside my house. The air has a sharp chill to it, but the crisp scent of winter makes up for the cold. Trees are shedding the last of their multi-hued leaves, and birds are singing their final songs of the year. It’s a wonderful day, but nine months into quarantine, we’ve run out of stuff to do.

   I roll off the bottom bunk of my bunk bed and glance around my room. I see Amany’s feet flopped over the top of my ladder from where she’s chilling in my top bunk browsing Pinterest. Rhondalise is curled up in my aquamarine poof, flipping through Reedsy plot generators for ideas for the next Afrassi installment (every time she says she’s bored, we have an unanimous chorus of “Write more Afrassi”! She knows by now not to complain about having nothing to do around Afrassi crewmates). Vayd is in the corner, going back and forth between reading a Percy Jackson book (for the gazillionth time), eating chips, and complaining about having nothing to do.

   I wonder where Orenda is. She used to be seated at my desk, sketching (she was checking Reedsy until I took her phone to watch The Princess Bride for the millionth time), but then she had disappeared.

  Apparently I (mentally-) spoke too soon, because that’s when I hear….

   “GUYSSSSSS!” 

   Ren’s eager voice slices through the blanket of bored silence hanging over my room. She races through the doorway of my room, skidding to a stop on my pastel carpet. She pauses to catch her breath, her black-and-purple hair escaping her ponytail. 

   “Look,” she says between breaths, “at this!

   She holds up a piece of paper. I couldn’t see what was on, if there was anything. It just looked...blank.

   “What is it?” Rhonda asks.

   “It looks like a blank piece of paper,” Vayd notes.

Orenda glares. “Dude. Don’t be a pessimist.”

“He’s not wrong,” I remarked.

Oreo sighed. “Guys! First of all, it’s not a blank piece of paper. The message is just hidden.”

“CODE?! VAYD BOND IS HERE!” 

Vayd jumps up and sprints to Orenda. His excitement melts away as he stares at the paper. “How’s it in code if it's blank?” He pokes the piece of paper. At his touch, a flurry of white powder drops off the paper and drifts to the floor. The removed coating reveals a page with text written on it.

“Oh,” Vayd says. “That kind of hidden.”

“What is that powder, anyways?” Amany climbs down the bunk bed ladder and joins Orenda and Vayd in my doorway. She touched the white on the floor and sneezes. “Ugh.”

“It’s flour,” Orenda says. “Y’know, like for baking?”

I facepalm. “Guys! You’re totally trashing my room! Vayd, pick up the chips! Orenda, why did you bring a flour-covered paper to my room?”

Vayd glared at me. I pointed to the chips littering his corner. WE had a mini-staring contest, then Orenda broke in, “Aerin, can you at least read what it says?”

I peer at the page from where I sit on the floor. “Is that…” I say, eyeing the giant drawing taking up half the page, “a giant cookie?!” My frown melts and jump up, racing to Orenda. “Do we get cookies?” I squeal. “Canwecanwecanwe?”

Orenda laughs. “Did you read the text or just look at the picture?”

Amany clears her throat and reads the text on the post: “World Record Baking Competition. Bake the biggest cookie you had bypassing the previous world record, without telling others entrants the size. Judges will weight and measure each cookie. Winner gets $500 and a place in the new edition of Guinness World Records. Then a bunch of guidelines and instructions.”

“So…do we get cookies?”

Rhonnie snorts, pushing herself off my beanbag chair and joining us looking at the poster. “We can totally get some after this, but I think what Ren’s trying to say is that we should enter the competition.”

“But…we can’t bake.”

Amany smirks at Vayd. “Speak for yourself!”

“And even if we can’t bake well, the cookie needs to be big, not good,” Rhondalise reasons. “How hard can it be to make a giant cookie?”

“Plus, the reward sounds pretty sweet,” I say. Everyone stares at me. I nod enthusiastically. “Get it? Sweet? Baking completion? Haha????”

Vayd elbows me with a laugh. “Bad puns aside, breaking a world record sounds pretty nice. Plus, five hundred dollars? Wow.”

“That could buy a lot of Baskin Robbins…” Orenda says dreamily.

“No, it could buy a lot of Waffle House,” counters Rhonnie.

“I’m in for any place where we can get cookies,” I say.

Orenda smiles. “So…you guys are in?”

We all nod in unison. “Let’s bake a giant cookie!” I holler.


*



Three hours later, we’re $83 down, but insane-amounts-of-baking-supplies up. Rhondalise read the rest of the poster aloud, and it basically said that the cookie judging (well, weighing/measuring) and award-giving would take place on Sunday. Today’s Saturday, so we have the rest of today to bake our Mega Cookie.

We had split up to prepare for the completion. Rhonnie and Vayd went to the grocery store to get supplies (alas, the flour on my floor wouldn’t cut it), Amany had visited Abcde's house to help clear her kitchen (Abcde’s lending us her huge kitchen for baking during the five hours she and Afra would be at the movies and then hiking), and Orenda and I pretty much told a gazillion other friends about the competition if they wanted to enter. Bri, Avery, and Kylie formed a team, as did Zilla, Adrienne, and Ella. 

Now, we’re all seated in stools lining Abcde’s island table. We have tons of flour, a dozen eggs, and a bunch of other ingredients.

Where do we start?

Amany, who’s by far the best at baking, leads the way. She pulls up a cookie recipe. I’m about to start measuring the ingredients, but she says, “No! Don’t!”

We all stare at her. She sighs dramatically. “C’mon, guys! We’re making a giant cookie! We can’t use normal measuring. If we roll together all the cookie dough we’d normally make to bake a dozen cookies, we’ll get a big cookie, but not a HUGE cookie. What do you think we should do? Double the whole recipe and make a humongous cookie out of that?”

“Go big or go home,” Orenda agrees.

“Nononononononono!” I argue. “For this, we’ve got to go giant or go home. Let’s triple the recipe!”

“I like that idea,” Vayd says, smiling.

Rhonnie noda. “And we definitely have enough supplies!” She pointed to the loooong line of ingredients she and Vayd had purchased. They high-five.

“Let’s make it!” Amany says.



*



“Do you think Abcde will be mad we trashed her kitchen?”

The cookies are finally in the oven, and we stand in a lime in from of the kitchen. Wow. The last hour was crazy—making a giant cookie was next to impossible when you had normal-sized bowls and ingredients. Mad chaos later, we have a big cookie, and an even bigger mess.

Flour dusts the floor and counters. Chocolate chips have rolled into impossible spots. Abcde’s dog Hope and Afra’s dogs Sky and Sunny (Afra had dropped her puppers off at Abcde’s house to play with Hope before Abcde and her went to the movies) had rushed in at some point, tracking fallen flour and sugar throughout the house. Oh, and Vayd dropped two eggs when Hope rushed by him, soo…a patch of the floor is a bit sticky.

Wow.

“Knowing Abcde?” Rhonnie says. “Probably not. She’s too nice. But we’ve got to clean up anyways.”

“Dibs on not cleaning up the flour!” I shout.

“Same!” says Ren.

“Me too!” Vayd pipes in.

Amany smacks her nose with her hand. “Nose goes!”

I stare at her. “Whuh?”

“It means I’m not doing it.”

Rhondalise facepalms. “Guys, are you kidding me? The flour is like half the mess. C’monnnnnnnnnn.” When we don’t move, she sighs again, but then smiles evilly. “If you don't help me, there will be No. More. Afrassi.”

*freak out*

She had us at that. Alas, we’re loyal Wrirates. NO HARM COULD COME TO AFRASSI. Or Reo, if Amany threatens, or Muzcin, if Rhonnie threatens, or…honestly, there are too many amazing ‘fictional’ (or as I like to call it, ‘merely existing in another dimension’) ships to count.

I need to make a ship, I decide. Wrirates are way too vulnerable if they don’t have their own beloved ship to threaten with.

But you’re awful at writing romance, my mind argues back.

Whatever.

And so, the ridiculously long process of cleaning the kitchen begins. But at least we have the lovely scent of a giant peppermint-chocolate-chunk cookie hanging in the air.


*



“They should write a book about us,” I decide.

“One of those ‘We Survived’ novels,” agrees Vayd.

Rhonnie nods. “‘We Survived: The Great Cookie Mess’.”

Yes,” Orenda and Amany emphasize in unison.

We smile at each other, then smile at the kitchen, then smile at the cookie (with a diameter of three feet!) cooling on the countertop. Almost an hour later, the kitchen is spotless! The puppies are spotless! We are spotless!

And our beautiful giant cookie looks awesome. The huge masterpiece lies on a piece of parchment paper on Abcde’s island. You can see the chocolate chunks and peppermint pieces (ah, how I do love alliteration) studded throughout the rocky tan flesh. It smells SO good.

I’m resisting eating it, though. Sure, we wanted to enter it for the contest, and sure, we could make a ton more of these with $500, but after all the hard work going into this dessert, I don’t want to give it up.

Ptooey.

“What should we do now?” Rhondalise asks. “The competition is tomorrow and we’re done with our cookie, sooo...”

I nod. This was fun, but now we were back in square one—bored.

“I’m going to go play with the dogs,” Vayd says. Ren nods and they set off to search the house for Abcde’s and Afra’s pups.

“D’you want to go with them?” I tell Rhonnie. 

She shakes her head. “I’ll go play with Hope and the others in a sec. But for right now, ima go call Abcde and Afra and see when they’ll be back from the hike and movies. Do you have Abcde’s contact?”

“Yeah,” I say. “Want me to tell you? Or you can just use my iPad?”

“Nah, it’s fine. I’ll go call Afra instead.”

She sets off to go find a nice place in Abcde’s home to call Afra.

That means I’m alone in the kitchen.

What should I do?

Then I remember we aren’t the only friends entering the contest. Bri, Zilla, and a couple of my other friends are too! I decide to check on their progress. Just call Bri (who’s partnering with Avery and Ella) and ask about her cookie and tell her about ours. 

It’ll be fun!

Plus, I have literally nothing else to do, sooo…. 

I retreat to the doorway of Abcde’s house, where my iPad is lying on her table. I don’t have a phone, but I usually don’t need electronics outside of the house anyway. I had decided to bring my iPad here because, y’know, I needed pictures of the cookie!

I open my iPad and go into Messages. Bri’s contact is there under, well, Bri. I FaceTime her.

Please pick up, please pick up, I think as my iPad rings. A couple moments later, Bri’s face graces the screen. I grin. “Hi, Bri!”

I flop onto the couch and stare at my screen as I hear Orenda and Vayd playing with the dogs on the second level. “Hey, Aerin!” she says. “What are you up too? Where are you?”

“I’m at Abcde’s house,” I explain. “With Amany, Vayd, Rhonda, and Orenda. What are you up to?”

“I was writing,” she says. I nod. That makes sense—B is a super prolific writer like Zilla. “Why are you at Abcde’s house? Is she even there?”

I laugh. “Nope. She and Afra are having a day at the movies and mall. Abcde’s lending us her giant kitchen so we could make our mega-cookie. Speaking of, we just finished baking our cookie. As in, it came out of the oven fifteen minutes ago. What about you?”

“Really, you’re still making the cookie?” Bri seems surprised, which surprises me. Did that mean her team had ditched the contest? B wasn’t the kind to give up.

“What do you mean? Aren’t you?”

She snorta. “Heck no. It seemed fun at first buuuut then Avery looked up how big the world-recording breaking cookie is. And in order to beat the world record, we needed to make forty-one-thousand-pound cookie! So, yeah, no. We ditched the competition before we spent thousands on cookie ingredients alone.”

I mentally facepalm. Oh. My. Gosh.

HOW DID WE FORGET TO LOOK UP THE WORLD RECORD FOR GIANT COOKIES?! We just went right ahead and baked a big cookie. But it wasn’t NEARLY big enough! There was no way we could enter our miniscule cookie in the competition.

Dang it.

“Okay, well, Bri, nice talkin’ to ya, gotta go!” I hang up on the call. Oops. I’ll make it up to her later. For now, I’ve got to go find my friends. We’ve messed up big time.

Five minutes later, Amany, Vayd, Ren, and Rhonnie are all seated in Abcde’s living room with me. I’ve told them about how we definitely fell short of what the cooking contest required. It’s to set a new world record for the largest cookie, but our dessert isn’t even close to the current world-record holder.

“Ugh,” Vayd sighs. “I can’t believe we didn’t remember to check this! We’re so stupid. Well, not me, but…actually, yeah, we’re all stupid.”

“C’mon, dude, what happened to Confidence Level 1000?” Amany elbows Vayd playfully.

“It died.”

I choke back my laughter. “Alright then.”

“But seriously, he’s got a point,” Orenda continues, her face the epitome of ‘crestfallen’. “We just wasted hours of our weekend and we can’t even enter.”

“Nu-uh.”

Rhonalise glances at me. “Hmm, Aerin?”

“We didn’t waste our time!” I say. “At least, this wasn’t pointless. Because now, we have a giant cookie to share. And it’s gonna be delicious.”

My friends grin and we race off to the kitchen.




December 12, 2020 00:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

166 comments

02:34 Dec 12, 2020

Yay! A Wrirate short story! This was fun to make. (And yeah, Abcde is from CQ.) Did you like it?

Reply

Nobody responded so I’ll do it for y’all. NO. I DID NOT LIKE IT. IN FACT, I REREAD IT AND I CRINGED 99% OF THE WAY. ngl the idea was nice, the way I wrote it was slightly less nice cuz I was so obvious aisnwqlkshss lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
10:44 Dec 12, 2020

I must be out of the loop but what does "wrirate" stand for? This was such a cutesie story, and I'm just glad you got to eat the cookie in the end haha. Kudos to your dedication to your friends ;) (Also Ren if you're reading this, you have some explaining to do. I thought your hair was brown and red, but according to Aerin it's black and purple. SO WHAT IS THE TRUTH hmmmm?)

Reply

12:45 Dec 12, 2020

Oh haha, that stands for Writer Pirate. Basically the Reedsy gang that have claims positions on ‘ships’. Like, I’m co-captains with Vayd on the ship Reo and first mate on the ship Afrassi. If you’re on two ships, you’re a Biwrirate, three ships is a Triwrirate etc. It’s funnn lol Aw tysm! Haha, thanks. (Oh haha, no, she DOES have brown hair. But she said I could dye her hair, sooo...now it’s black and purple! 😋)

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
13:17 Dec 12, 2020

Oh that's clever. And kinda cool. If you're a Biwrirate and you're not picky about who you sleep with, does that make you a Bi Biwrirate? (Makes sense haha)

Reply

For the record I never responded to that but YESsssss bootiful I miss the days of wrirates blechhhhh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
15:21 Dec 12, 2020

I did read this, you know. I mean, you didn't even have to say that, I see my name somewhere (because I'm stalking, of course) and I reply. I've always wanted my hair purple or blue. I guess I'll get it done soon :) farewell to my brunette.

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
18:58 Dec 12, 2020

ah yes, I'm flattered to know I'm always being followed ;) noooo well ok then... bye bye brunette

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amaya .
21:04 Dec 14, 2020

NONONONONONO if you die your hair renny....... your beautifully colored hair DONT DO IT well i mean do it if you want to black and purple sounds pretty awesome

Reply

Orenda .
03:01 Dec 15, 2020

I WILL- 😏😉 Haha, I badly want to. Either purple or blue and then look like a clown ;)

Reply

Amaya .
03:43 Dec 15, 2020

NOOOOOO just kidding it might damage it thoughhhh but i still sorta think u should BUT YOUR HAIR IS SO PRETTYYYYYYY purpleeeeee my favorite color. renny ur already a clown u don't have to look like one

Reply

Orenda .
16:07 Dec 15, 2020

oh, while chatting with Vayd, I forgot about this comment XD ye, it will damage, but YOLO, man. I knoww muahaha but thank youu mine too along with blue, teal and sage. Haha I knew a diss would be hidden behind all your compliments. Cunning, eh?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Orenda .
07:01 Dec 12, 2020

FINALLLLLY QPROBAPFHL my brain's doing somersaults lol. Hats off the best reedsy fanfic I've ever read. No offense to the other amazing fanfics all of us have written, though. This was hysterical. - Orenda, Ren, Oreo. I laughed out loud at this. - mini staring contest lol A few errors - the part where you talk about sitting on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed, I'd say omit "bunk" bed since you saying you plop on the bottom bunk itself refers to a bunk bed. - one more error but I can't find it lmao. You had to include an "if". ...

Reply

12:47 Dec 12, 2020

Ahhhhhh thank you!! So glad you liked it lol. Yay!!! - hehe :D - thanks lol Ohhhh, oki! I’ll fix that! Thxxxxx! Aw, thank you. My pleasure :D

Reply

Orenda .
13:04 Dec 12, 2020

Of course, of course. My pleasuree 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
16:04 Dec 15, 2020

halloo!

Reply

17:21 Dec 15, 2020

Hi, Oreo!

Reply

Orenda .
17:22 Dec 15, 2020

ohh, that name melts me XD. How're you holdin up?

Reply

17:24 Dec 15, 2020

Hehe. Ummm...goodish? Still sad Vayd is leaving and kinda in shock I’ll probably never see him again but I mean, I’m doing pretty well. At least, it’s supposed to snow tomorrow, there’s about to be winter break, I’m on my lunch break (the small victories, lol), and I’m feeling kinda inspired for no reason sooo...yay! What about you?

Reply

Orenda .
17:34 Dec 15, 2020

oh same. But I'm sure he'll come back, so keep your chin up keeping that in mind. Wow, I envy youuu. Good, good. I'm writing a story at least trying too haha.

Reply

17:53 Dec 15, 2020

I hope soooo. Haha. Noice!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
14:45 Dec 12, 2020

I'm here again. This story's sTUcK In mY HEaD. thank you.

Reply

15:41 Dec 12, 2020

Ackkk tysm lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Orenda .
03:55 Dec 14, 2020

DUDEE Vayd deleted all his stories. WHAT'S HE DOING??! WE DON'T DESERVE THIS KIND OF MYSTERY YO.

Reply

14:31 Dec 14, 2020

Okay this comment (and checking what it was about) singlehandedly ruined my morning 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Like I was all excited about my story because approved for the first time in a few months THEN. I. SAW. THIS. Then I went to his profile and... It’s not a mystery anymore. He said he’s leaving. I just opened up emojis to write the 😭 emoji a gazillion times like I have been but stopped it because EMOJIS CAN SERIOUSLY NOT SUM THIS UP I swear, if you or Rhonda or Amany leaves, I’m gonna— be really sad. Celeste left and I kept hoping she’d be bac...

Reply

Orenda .
14:48 Dec 14, 2020

Ah yes, I read his bio but I didn't edit this comment. I cried too. Literal silent tears, and I'm not kidding. I can't imagine all the stuff that's been happening. I can't imagine Vayd leaving, I will never get over this. I ruined Rhonda's morning too, you know? I remember him telling B to not let the idiots bother her and he legit said, "I am not leaving nor is Orenda, Rhonda and others" but who knew the convo between B and Tom would lead to such a thing. I cannot believe I won't be able to talk to him anymore. Imagine how hurt/angry he...

Reply

15:07 Dec 14, 2020

Oh, oki. Dheudbehwbsudbrjwx. Wait, B and Tom? Is Tom the harassing guy? Is B the one being harassed? I’m so confused 😭😭 I know. Same samesame. The problem is we CAN’T do anything. We have no say in this, we can only hope our friend will come back 😭😭😭😭😭 Yes, same. I mean, I respect his decision, but couldn’t he have at least told us in comments? I don’t even know what the last thing I said to him was. Yeah, completely same...I mean, as I said in my bio, sure, there are some rude folks, but so many people and nice and friendly and I can’...

Reply

Orenda .
15:12 Dec 14, 2020

Tom didn't harass her. He expressed his views a bit harshly, but deleted it later on and both of em apologized. He won't come back, but all we can do is hope that he continues writing and stays safe without putting any further pressure on his mental health. We'll always remember him. It'll be a miracle if he ever decides to drop a hi, though I highly doubt it. Reedsy's spread such pain and hate, you can't and don't want to come back even if you just want to check up on your friends.

Reply

15:19 Dec 14, 2020

Okay, so, yea, I just found Tom and searched his comments and I understand now. Vayd must’ve seen the comment about him being harassed on the site 😭 Yeah. Definitely. 100%. Yup, but I really hope so... It has, but it’s spread much more compassion and love and friendship and happiness than groans over a DV or frowns at mean comments. Yeah.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I 👏AM 👏SO 👏DRAMATIC 👏HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hats off to PastMe for being this sad about an online friend and hats off to Vayd Bond for being so awesome it made PastMe this sad lol👏👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Noticed some awesome Reeders in this one-- Yay, B.W., Rhondalise Mitza, Zilla Babbitt, Orenda, and, queen of the leaderboard, you! Good work! I really like your stories, so I'm following you. :) -Jade, some random Reedsy noob who thinks you're pretty cool

Reply

Haha, yup! Shank you 😂 Aw, thanks, means a lot! -Welcome :) Shank youuuu again

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Btww, on your profile when you stated your nicknames, I didn't see the comma after "Rainbow," so I always assumed people called you Rainbow Rinn! Lol

Reply

Oh haha :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
15:25 Dec 15, 2020

Haha, this was great! I love how you guys are doing different stories with Reedsy friends as the characters. They are really creative, and such a pleasure to read! It really was cute. Amazing job, Aerin!

Reply

17:26 Dec 15, 2020

Thankssss! Haha, tysm.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
02:50 Dec 15, 2020

What was the good book you read?? In need of some atm. And every time I see someone praising my blog it doesn't get any less cool ah-

Reply

02:54 Dec 15, 2020

Well actually a lot, but the one I just finished is The Fault in Our Stars. I was it because I LOVED John Green’s other book. TFIOS was good and all, but Turtles all the Way Down is his MASTERPIECE. Hahah :D

Reply

Amaya .
04:06 Dec 15, 2020

TATWD FAN CLUB NEEDS TO BECOME A THING

Reply

14:24 Dec 15, 2020

INDEED

Reply

Amaya .
15:38 Dec 15, 2020

*pounds gavel* *brief silence* "the first meeting of the Turtles All the Way Down Fan Club starts....STARTING.......NOW" *clears throat* *reads aloud official members list* "members: Aerin Rebecca Amaya M ....that's it" *looks around almost empty room* "first order of business: recruit more members" Aerin: "AGREED" Aerin: *grabs the stage* *makes quite the speech about the book that gets us all excited* Me: "and with that"-- *pounds gavel*-- "this meeting is adjourned. remember to recruit more me...

Reply

17:23 Dec 15, 2020

Haha! Yessss. I’ll respond to this beautiful message PROPERLY soon, but for now...lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:27 Dec 15, 2020

Ahem, ahem, YES. But seriously, this needs more members, lol. *yells at the top of her lungs* HENLOOOOO HAS ANYONE ELSE READ TATWD????! Random civilian: DUDE WHAT IS ‘TATWD’ Amaya: *sighs* Aerin, say the full name lol Aerin: whatevs *shouts even more* *no one joins* *silence* *we awkwardly turn to each other* Aerin: so, uh...first meeting topic??

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
03:02 Dec 15, 2020

Awesome, I'll be sure to check em out! Do be careful though, I beleive his other books are more young adult-y.

Reply

14:24 Dec 15, 2020

Yayyyy! Haha, yeah, I know, his books definitely classify as ‘YA-YA’. Translated from Aerin to English, that just means YA is best for 14-18, and YA-YA should probably be kept away from a younger audience. But I love his books so TOO BAD, READING GENRES!! Lol. Although, in TATWD, there are definitely two weirddddd pages you’ll want to skip over. Although I don’t remember where sooo...that’s a pretty bad warning 😂Bye!

Reply

Amaya .
15:37 Dec 15, 2020

lmao Aerin everything you said was so funny to me for some reason. that was a pretty bad warning but i can't remember the page either, i read it sort of a while ago.

Reply

17:22 Dec 15, 2020

Haha, thx. Lolllll, yep. I mean, it was the most awkward 2 pages to read ever (and mostly the reason I said my 9-year-old sister could NOT read TATWD) but I didn’t remember the pages 😂

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

ALSO A VERY CRINGY OVERDRAMATIC COMMENT GOSH What was I, 11? *silence To be fair I’m more mature than this in real life (crazy, yes, wears pigtails and rainbows, yes, but talks slightly less confusingly) but lol these were the days where all-over-the-place, all-caps-stuffed messages like this were all I wrote ahhhhhhhh

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Amaya .
04:06 Dec 15, 2020

yeah.....lmao

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
00:37 Dec 15, 2020

who is Celeste? And how in the world have I not come across her account before?

Reply

02:18 Dec 15, 2020

Oh haha, I mean Celeste Jimenez, currently under the name ‘jimmy is alone’. We were super good friends but then she left all sites 😭😭😭😭 You can find her around 40 on the leaderboard, I think.

Reply

Amaya .
02:20 Dec 15, 2020

that's her?!?!?! that explains a lotttt aw that sucks, i hope she's doing okay. She's been offline for a really really long time

Reply

02:22 Dec 15, 2020

Yeaaaaa Yup, same. Mmmhmm...I don’t think she’ll be coming back, but I hope so 😢

Reply

Amaya .
02:24 Dec 15, 2020

in her bio she said "you all probably forgot about me." imagine how happy she would be to know that you most definitely did NOT forget her and she is in your storyyyyy

Reply

02:41 Dec 15, 2020

Aw, yeah, I’ll never forget about my Reedsy friends, just like how I’ll never forget about Vayd :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
02:23 Dec 15, 2020

yeahhh :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amaya .
21:04 Dec 14, 2020

if this makes you feel any better, this might be the last story Vayd read on here. That's a good way to leave, right?

Reply

23:03 Dec 14, 2020

Aw, thanks, I guess so :)

Reply

Amaya .
00:27 Dec 15, 2020

<3333333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:37 Dec 13, 2020

This was awesome, Aerin! It was one of your more whimsical and, simpler stories, and I still enjoyed it as any of your others! This time, though, I noticed that there were a few grammar mistakes throughout the story. If you want, I can give you some examples. Other than that, this was fantastical! Great job! -Brooke D. <3

Reply

21:38 Dec 15, 2020

Aw Tysm!! Glad you liked it!! - Aerinnnn ❤️

Reply

21:59 Dec 15, 2020

You are so welcome! I sure did! OMG Tysm for all of the likes! I will up-vote you ASAHP.

Reply

00:52 Dec 16, 2020

My pleasure! Lol. Aw, thanks, you don’t need to do that :-)

Reply

11:41 Dec 17, 2020

No problem! I'm going to today! (Once I get a free minute. School keeps this person busy.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:36 Dec 29, 2020

Hi, Aerin! This story, again, was absolutely magnificent! You might want to check out my new story... Thanks if you do, it's okay if you don't.

Reply

Thanks! Sure, will do!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
13:10 Dec 12, 2020

Hilarious, adorable, and I absolutely loved the last line. Keep it up! :)

Reply

15:42 Dec 12, 2020

Tysm!

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
01:14 Dec 13, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
13:05 Dec 12, 2020

"I need to make a ship, I decide. Wrirates are way too vulnerable if they don’t have their own beloved ship to threaten with. But you’re awful at writing romance, my mind argues back. Whatever." I died laughing.

Reply

15:42 Dec 12, 2020

Haha, tysm!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:20 Jan 18, 2021

Hi, Aerin! So, I would like to put you in my Reedsy-cast short story that I'm going to write. If you do want to be in it, please fill out this form for your character: Name (if you want it to be different): Power: Spirit animal: Eyes: Hair: Favorite color: Weakness: Thanks if you do want to be in the story and if you fill this out! If not, that's okay, too. :D Your friend, Brooke D.

Reply

Hi, Brooke! (❤️ Your new pen name!) Aww thank you, I’d love to be! Sure! Aerin :) Hmm...water power! Like a water-bender in Avatar or a Hydrokinetic in KOTLC. Unicorns! Ice blue with dark blue and amber flecks (lol oddly specific! But it’s fun designing a new appearance) Long, semi-curly black hair! Hot pink or rainbowwwww Hmmm...like, fantasy weakness or emotional weakness? How about...if any enemy wishes upon a star that I lose my power, it happens for a few hours? So like, if they find out and only at nighttime, I won’t have magic. Tyy...

Reply

20:13 Jan 19, 2021

Hey! (Aw, thanks!) The pleasure's all mine! :D For the weakness, I meant that it's the one thing that just makes your character do anything, even if it's super stupid. :) :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD Your friend, Brooke :)

Reply

Uhmmmm...I have no idea lol. You can make something up for her :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:31 Jan 20, 2021

Aerinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn How are you doing? So, whatcha think about the weakness? I needs to know ASAP

Reply

Hiiiiiiiiii! Cold and hungry and sad this is the last day of break but good, lol :D You? Haha, sorry! You can make something up as I have no preference :)

Reply

22:55 Jan 20, 2021

Ohhhhh lol my break's already OVER Besides that, I'm doing good. :D You don't have to be sorry; other people just had me choose. lol sounds good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sia S
04:07 Jan 19, 2021

Ooh this sounds fun! Looking forward to it!!

Reply

20:15 Jan 19, 2021

XD Yay! Thanks!

Reply

Sia S
02:04 Jan 20, 2021

:))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Milani James
19:14 Dec 17, 2020

Wow! Such an honest, casual story! I really liked it, gj!

Reply

20:41 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:41 Dec 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
15:59 Jun 09, 2021

This was a very good story, a nice break from reading the rather depressing stories I've read recently. It was very light-hearted and high-spirited!!! Do you think you could give me some feedback on my story: Rainbow-less?

Reply

Thank you lol! Aw of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bailey D.
13:19 Dec 27, 2020

First of all, I loved this story! Great job, Aerin! Your writing is beyond my abilities. Also, I read your ENTIRE bio, which was awesome. So, I'm commenting to tell you that, and also just to chat with you since you're sick and bored. :) -Bailey P.S. Do you know who I actually am or no?

Reply

Thank you so much!! Haha, thanks! Aw thank you. Wassup? P. S. I mean, kinda?? I think we’ve exchanged comments/likes/followers before but there’s like 3k people on Reedsy so I don’t know if we properly know each other 😂

Reply

Bailey D.
14:05 Dec 29, 2020

You're so welcome! No problem! Nothing much. Wassup with you? P.S. 😂😂😂 That's not what I meant. My real name isn't Bailey W.. Who am I in actuality?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
18:44 Dec 23, 2020

🍌

Reply

Yay lol thx

Reply

Lilliane Wei
05:17 Dec 24, 2020

Lol, I saw your new story and just haven't had a chance to check it out. I'll check it out when I next get the chance, I'm currently trying and failing to write a good story for one of the prompts.

Reply

Oh thanksssss! Haha, well, good luck on pumping a story out, I’m sure it’ll be awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.